Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ow, my arteries...

How To Go
    In addition to this awesomestrosity, today the Taco Bells in my area rolled out some new chicken-bacon-ranch thing.

Why must fast-food-industrial complex tempt me so?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    In addition to this awesomestrosity, today the Taco Bells in my area rolled out some new chicken-bacon-ranch thing.

Why must fast-food-industrial complex tempt me so?
    Dude, and this right on the heels of the shrimp soft taco? Maaaaan...

formerly known as "jafd" Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by John E. Motion View Post
    I've never eaten KFC except maybe once or twice until I moved here and every once in a while i'll pop in one for a quick lunch. Is it really better? I must confess I like it.
    Any fast food chain with a presence in Europe will be a markedly different experience than anything in the U.S.

Chicken, I've been told, is a particularly favorite food in that part of the world. I believe it, because when I ate their local birds, it was like Kobe beef.

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->
    Did anyone try this out today? I hear it is...salty.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackstar View Post
    Chicken, I've been told, is a particularly favorite food in that part of the world. I believe it, because when I ate their local birds, it was like Kobe beef.
    And their beef is so good, it tastes like chicken!

The McDonalds in Budapest I went to recently was the nicest McD's I've ever seen. Beautiful interior, with stone tile and subdued (for a fast food store) lighting, comfortable seats, an Internet kiosk, WiFi, headphone listening stations for music, and a full McCafe with passable croissants and cappuccino for a LOT less than the fancy schmancy cafe down the street. It was our go-to breakfast spot, as the hotel (the Marriott) wanted an arm, a leg, and a foot for its breakfast buffet.

Didn't try the burgers though. I am guessing they'd be good, given how many I saw leaving the place in the bags of the office and retail workers who swarmed the place at lunch and in the early evening.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubit View Post
    Did anyone try this out today? I hear it is...salty.
    It's unavailable to us Canadians. KFC in Canada is waiting to see how it goes in the US of A first.

New Romantic
    Who are you that flies so good? Are you insane?
    Quote Originally Posted by The article
    But this is the world we live in, and Americanís love fast food.
    Quote Originally Posted by The article
    Americanís have no expectations that fast food companies are trying to sell them anything but junk, but the fact that the tagline is ďItís Real!Ē is a stunning reflection of the attitude Americanís have towards fast food: they know itís ridiculous, but no one ever thought KFC, or any national chain for that matter, would take it THIS far.
    That guy really needs to learn the appropriate use of apostrophes.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
    The McDonalds in Budapest I went to recently was the nicest McD's I've ever seen.
    The nicest McDonalds burger I've ever had was in Paris (yes, I know, a crime against gastronomy - this was as a teenager, though even then I should have known better).

The filling was standard McDonalds fare but the bun was proper bread with a nice open crumb & fairly tough crust - totally transformed the dish.

New Romantic
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

The Double Down has been purchased for lunch. Shortly, an attempt at consumption shall be made. If this endeavor should fail - if I do not make it through the ordeal before me... speak well of me. Either let my folly serve as a warning to others, or let my triumph motivate a generation!

Hail QT3, we who are about to eat, salute you...

New Romantic
    I LIVE!

Aside from the "bacon" being limp and the whole thing needing a good napkin-blotting to reduce the surface grease - it wasn't bad.

It wasn't good by any stretch of the definition, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a free lunch if it was on the menu.

It does, however, put one right into a Protein Coma. Right now all I want is a nap, but I'm not seeing any bright lights or hearing the voices of my ancestors beckoning me down a tunnel just yet.

I had one today. I hadn't thought about it at all, but a friend of mine wanted food from somewhere, and he suggested KFC without even knowing the 2xDown existed, so of course I suggested we take the plunge.

Now, the first thing I notice while trapped at the drive thru, is that the sandwich is six goddamned dollars. Now, I'm not a cheap bastard, by any means... wait, I explained that wrong. I'm totally a cheap bastard. But not so cheap that I won't pay six dollars for something good.

So I'm sitting there waiting for the bag to be stuck out the window, and I'm thinking, damn, for six bucks, maybe it'll be good! Ha ha. I discovered upon receipt of my suicidial lunch that the reason it's six goddamned dollars is because it's fucking huge.

Like seriously, the whole thing is bigger than a baby's head. And it's dense. They probably mix a few heavy metals in with the sodium chlorhydroxide. Just lifting the box out of the bag, I had to pause and take a breath. Mostly out of trepidation.

I open the box with a pervasive feeling of dread that I haven't felt since the last time I was at the Grand Canyon. It's ugly. How hard is it to put square slices of cheese in the middle of two oblong slabs of genetically engineered breast meat? Damn hard, it would seem. The real thing looks about as appealing in comparison to the promo photos, as your coyote arm looks compared to your hazy recollection of the night before.

So of course, I eat the disgusting thing anyway. (The Colonel's Special Sauce that holds the whole thing together? Not helping.) I don't exactly regret it, but it's not really an experience that I'm proud to add to my accomplishments.

The one way in which the sandwich surprised me, is that while I had anticipated that it would contain a billion grams of sodium, it actually tasted like it contained two billion grams.

Never, ever again, until Prague. Maybe not even then. Perhaps their sensibilities are more sound there, and anyone who asks for one to be procured is deported.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by drbob View Post
    The nicest McDonalds burger I've ever had was in Paris (yes, I know, a crime against gastronomy - this was as a teenager, though even then I should have known better).
    I had a McDonald's cheeseburger in Paris about seven years ago. It was much oilier than usual, and not particularly good. What I did appreciate was the styrofoam container it was packed in. Man, those things can really hold burgers!

New Romantic
    $6 for KFC is expensive in America?

You can't buy a meal in any fast food place over here (McD's, Burger King, KFC) for less then €7, minimum (and that's cheap).

Although McDonalds has gotten alot better at offering food for ~€5 it's still ridiculously expensive to buy that stuff over here.

How To Go
    A how-to, in case anyone wants to make one at home.

If you really think about it, a double down is essentially just a non-rolled-up chicken cordon bleu. :)

mine was far from huge and definitely not worth the price. I got more enjoyment out of two $.99 snackers (and it was easier to eat) than the 1 $5.99 double down.

World's End Supernova
    This would make a lot more appealing if the ingredients weren't industrial horseshit. Mmm, large amounts of factory-farmed chicken and bacon together!

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro_Man View Post
    I had a McDonald's cheeseburger in Paris about seven years ago. It was much oilier than usual, and not particularly good. What I did appreciate was the styrofoam container it was packed in. Man, those things can really hold burgers!
    It's interesting the way they vary from region to region. I haven't had Mickey-Ds in Paris but I noticed that the burgers were different in Ireland. I don't know how they cooked it but they were more well done, to the point where the outside had almost a crispy crunch to it, but it wasn't really burnt and the inside wasn't really tough. Not very appetizing. I wonder if it was in response to Mad Cow (this was about 10 years ago), thinking that maybe you could cook the prions out? No idea if they're still cooked like that.

Other regional variations I've seen are Lobster Rolls in Maine and Teriyaki burgers in Hawaii.

New Romantic
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Don't forget green chile cheeseburgers in New Mexico and Spam in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason McCullough View Post
    This would make a lot more appealing if the ingredients weren't industrial horseshit. Mmm, large amounts of factory-farmed chicken and bacon together!
    If you enjoyed it, the chicken didn't die in vain!

World's End Supernova
    Hah, well done. PETA should take lessons.

$6 is not terribly expensive for a sandwich, it was just incongruous with what I expected. I was clearly in error in so very many, many ways.

Account closed Hustle
    Had one yesterday. It was a great and manly sandwich. If Conan rode through a fast food place on his giant thundering stead, he'd ride off with one of these clenched in each mighty fist.

It was so macho I don't think a female will ever consume one.

Waving one of these in the air would kill a vegan at 10 paces.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by DanVerssen View Post
    Had one yesterday. It was a great and manly sandwich. If Conan rode through a fast food place on his giant thundering stead, he'd ride off with one of these clenched in each mighty fist.
    Now I have an image of Conan O'Brien plowing his desk through a KFC drivethrough.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Athryn View Post
    A how-to, in case anyone wants to make one at home.
    Though if you really want to replicate KFC style chicken at home, you need a pressure fryer. Be careful not to cover yourself in boiling oil though. Of course a discussion forum exists.

World's End Supernova
    I had one this weekend. Not the worst thing out there, but KFC chicken is so heavily spiced that I hardly noticed the spicy cheese or the typically bland fast food bacon. I might do a home version at some point just to see what real bacon and cheese do for the concept.

Account closed How To Go
    Nate Silver weighs in with possibly the dweebiest fast-food nutritional analysis I've ever seen:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/...ealthiest.html

Conclusion: nutritionally, the worst fast food item per-calorie currently available, by a large margin.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by drbob View Post
    Though if you really want to replicate KFC style chicken at home, you need a pressure fryer. Be careful not to cover yourself in boiling oil though. Of course a discussion forum exists.
    Rad! I like reading niche cooking forums like that. Their quest for the perfect homemade (insert chain fast food item) always seems so Quixotic. Also, who wouldn't want to be able to whip up a Big Mac to really impress dinner guests.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by John E. Motion View Post
    Rad! I like reading niche cooking forums like that. Their quest for the perfect homemade (insert chain fast food item) always seems so Quixotic. Also, who wouldn't want to be able to whip up a Big Mac to really impress dinner guests.
    There was a website a while back (that I can't find anymore) that was dedicated to collecting fast and non-fast food secret recipes to make at home. The big draws were things like In N' Out and Orange Julius for people who weren't in areas where those operate. But they also had things like reproducing packaged foods like Chips Ahoy, etc.