Thread: Late to the party: D&D 4e online one-shot?

World's End Supernova
    Ahh damn, I love those sessions, but it woulda been hell trying to pay attention with all the commotion that my sister's family brings.

Thanks for the update Rob.Looks like some interesting stuff going on with the dragon(s). Maybe Kava will awaken naked one day with a dragonling climbing on his shoulder.

Part the first

The House of Least Resistance

Faren shook his head sadly at me, then went off to his religious revival meeting. Eventually the pounding subsided, and I went downstairs to the common room. Thos-Ki hadn't managed to make it down yet, but Fabada had returned from his night of revels and auditions. He was telling Kava about it.

"How did I do?" he crowed. "Did I get a part? Let me tell you about it. I took a rowboat out to the Wayfarer--that's the troupe's ship--and found that they had a number of openings. A number of the eladrin had drunkenly teleported home from an aftershow party...."

"Why did they do that? Ever since the emperor died, if anyone teleports, they burst into flame."

"Like I said, drunk. So there were some open roles. I go up to this guy, Giorgio, and I say, I don't know what the play is, but I want the lead. You won't regret it, I won't regret it, the audiences won't regret it. He says to me, he says, 'It's Trial of Toteth Topec. Do you know it? It's a lot of dialogue,' as if he thought I didn't have much experience. 'Dialogue?' I tell him. 'Good sir, that corny old hack work? I specialize in interpretive acrobatics.' And I proceeded to crit the audition." Fabada began to leap and tumble around the room. "Like that! Ha! And that!" His somersault turned into a handspring into a swing off the chandelier. "And that jump right now? That was not the greatest leap in the world. That was just a tribute. A tribute to the greatest audition in the world. Sheena, the guildmaster herself, gave me the lead. They're giving me a per diem, or should I say, a per daaayum, of five gold pieces a day. I just have to go to rehearsal every day, and then there are the performances, of course." We nodded appreciatively, and asked for comp tickets for opening night.

Fabada, Kava and I went for a walk around the town while Thos-Ki was still indisposed. A plume of smoke directed us to another suspicious fire. By the time we got there, the bucket brigade had things well in hand, and there was no one in the abandoned building to rescue. Many onlookers were muttering that the refugees were starting these fires, but nobody had a description of this particular arsonist.

Kava wanted information about the missing dragon eggs, so we went to the Lyceum. Thos-Ki was up by this time and had rejoined us. Our trip was largely a bust. The dragon lived in the swamp, we learned, but we already knew that. Fabada mentioned that he was going to find the person who stole the eggs and was gonna stab him in the gut. Or was it Kava who said that?

Following that, we still had a bit of time before Fabada had to beg off for his audition. We decided to stop at the Blue House on Oyster Square to make contact with this Jess of the Gate Pass Resistance that Thos-Ki was told about. Kava and Thos-Ki were pretty sure it was going to be a trap, but we could use the exercise. The one-story house was quiet. No people coming in or out. We couldn't spy anyone through the windows. I gave a few coppers to a street urchin for the story. He said that a smith used to live in there, but moved out a while ago. Then there were some other people that went in there and also left, but that was also a while ago. I tried the Official Gate Pass Resistance Knock on the door, but didn't get the Official Gate Pass Resistance Counterknock in reply. Eventually Fabada and I bungled our way into the house. I left some silver on the windowsill to pay for the damage. We searched the house. We didn't find anyone. There was unbroken dust over everything, from statues of the Smith-God to the floor (first floor and cellar floor) to the inner room with a few bedrolls rolled up. There weren't any of the coded signs we used in the Resistance, either. The only thing we found that indicated anyone had been there was this, near the room with the bedrolls.

A dragon? The initials W W and X X? Kava thought maybe the dragon's tail was an arrow; perhaps the graffiti was a clue to the eggs. It didn't seem to be Official Gate Pass Resistance code. I scribbled a coded message indicating the date and that a fellow Gate Pass Resistance member was staying at the Seaside Inn. Then we left. That was odd. It was almost as if the man who spoke to Thos-Ki, who was so oddly well-informed about our party, was giving us incorrect information.

Fabada left for the harbor and his rehearsal space. We were walking back to the Inn when the press of the crowd turned decidedly panicked. "Monster! Fire! Monster, and Fire! Run! Run, if you value your life!" Then the crowds had pushed past us, and we were left on a deserted street. Smoke was wafting out of the window of a general store. There was a giant chicken pecking through the dirt and gravel, near three men frozen in place. Cockatrice! That thing could turn us into stone! We ducked behind a wagon, then ran into an alleyway for a brief team huddle. We compared what we knew about these things. Apparently if it looked at you or touched it, you would petrify. You didn't have to make eye contact, so the dire ostrich defense wouldn't work here. I was going to grab the tarp that was on top of the wagon. Kava was going to duck into the general store and look for chicken feed, or bird seed, or something that would distract it. We knew that bird-monsters couldn't resist piles of birdseed. Thos-Ki would bravely sacrifice the crocodile foot-steaks he had been saving for a special occasion. While it was good and distracted, I would wrap it up with the tarp.

And break! Kava ran past the disinterested cockatrice into the shop. Thos-Ki heaved out his delicacy. I grabbed the tarp and retreated to the alley. Thos-Ki and I were joined by two frightened militiamen. They asked if we had it under control. We allowed that we did, but I told one of them to fetch a wizard from the Lyceum to take this thing away, and the other one should get a cleric, someone who could un-petrify people. They took off, looking relieved, leaving us with the monster.

Where was Kava with that feed? The cockatrice was almost done pecking away at the crocodile feet!

Part 2 in a bit. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Djscman; 09-04-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Mad Chester
    It is extraordinary how many role-playing opportunities have stemmed from scavenging body parts from our fallen foes, like portobello steaks from myconids and fatty crocofeet from swamp guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    .Looks like some interesting stuff going on with the dragon(s). Maybe Kava will awaken naked one day with a dragonling climbing on his shoulder.
    No doubt the dragonling could play with Faren's little tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by xahlt View Post
    It is extraordinary how many role-playing opportunities have stemmed from scavenging body parts from our fallen foes, like portobello steaks from myconids and fatty crocofeet from swamp guardians.
    That is true, I think butchering our enemies is now a more successful tactic than roping the party together.

Part the second

The smoke stopped billowing out of the general store's windows. It was replaced by seed and grains. The cockatrice polished off the last croc foot and moved on to the seed. Kava emerged from the store, carefully pouring bird seed from a large canvas bag in clumps as he made his way back to us. There was a terrifying moment as the cockatrice looked up from his lunch, locking eyes with Kava. But the dragonborn didn't turn to stone like the other poor saps in the street. The cockatrice must not have wanted to petrify the hand that feed him.

"Where the hell were you? I thought you were sticking to the plan!" I hissed to Kava when he got back to the alley. The paladin reeked of smoke and looked pleased with himself.

"The fire wasn't that bad yet. I put it out before it did get bad. Then I stuck to the plan." So he saved the shop too. Whatever. The cockatrice was getting closer to the wagon and our position in the alley. I readied the tarp.

"What was the plan again?" asked Thos-Ki. I gestured with the tarp in my hands and mimed wrapping it around the deathbird as it approached. "That's a terrible plan." But it was too late to change it, the bird was almost to the wagon. I crept out as stealthily as I could, approaching from behind. The cockatrice saw nothing. I reached out, and...grabbed it!

Feathers and scales started flying. The cockatrice didn't want to be wrapped up and shoved into darkness. Its wings flared out, its long thick neck curved around, and it started pecking at me. I could not beat off its attack with the paltry protection of the tarp. It connected, poked into my arm; I felt a prick, and then everything became slow and dark and hard. Wouldn't this be the ideal death for a dwarf? I thought. To be turned into stone?

There was the jangle of divine chains, and the cries of success from Kava and Thos-Ki. The stony feeling wore off, and I saw that Kava was left holding the bag, thrashing around with the dog-sized beast inside. "All...according to...plan," I gasped. The cock had taken to wing, but our Invoker brought it down with his Invoker's powers of imprisonment. Thos-Ki was rummaging through his inventory again. He held aloft the last Shatterspell potion we had found in the Fire Forest. Then he kicked the three unfortunate cockatrice victims closer together.

"Let us see if this novel usage of the potion will suffice to remove the creature's petrification," he mumbled, and sure enough, all three victims began to stretch. One of them started weeping with terror or gratitude, another one (no doubt a student at the Lyceum) was jabbering about how the very light pho-tonns were petrified at the pupil's aperture so the retina could not process any information to the optic nerve. The last man was actually an employee of the general store. He was so grateful that he didn't mind the damage we had done to his birdseed stock. He also gave a rough description of the men who had started the fire, and as it turned out, let loose the cockatrice. These men were in a small group, they were wearing heavy armor, and they brought the monster in the same wagon next to which we were now standing.

The militiamen returned with the cleric and the Lyceum wizard. The cleric saw her services were no longer needed and left in a huff. The wizard was actually the Bennamen we had met before, the one who was so keen on his strange animals. Thos-Ki proudly presented the cockatrice we had bagged and asked for a "small emollient" which I think means "payment". Benny gratefully handed over 200 gp. Thos-Ki cocked his head as he saw how eager Benny was to receive the cockatrice. He began a gentle interrogation.

Q: Do you have a way to house the creature?
    A: Yes, we have a special cage for this little guy.

Q: For this little guy? Have you seen this particular cockatrice before?
    A: Actually, yes...I...I believe this is the beast that lived in my menagerie, but was recently stolen by unknown thieves. You know of the sort of problems we're having at the Lyceum.

Q: Actually...no?
    A: Well, we're having these sort of problems.

Q: What about the ettercaps? How should we catch them for your menagerie?
    A: Try chains or ropes, I suppose. That Stark fellow was supposed to be leading them back here, but he fouled up, and all the etters fled into the swamp.

Q: How about that dragon with her lost eggs?
    A: She's a resident of the swamp, I believe. Her name is Naizelasa.

Q: Did someone steal her eggs...to give to you?
    A: Oh no! No, no no no no no no. No.

Q: Oh?
    A: But I do know who stole them. He wants me to buy them, but five thousand gold pieces is too steep a price for me. His name is Nathan L'Duque [transcription error? - Thufir], he's a ranger, and he lives in the Fugee camp.

Q: Can you arrange a meeting for us?
    A: I suppose so, though I wonder how I am supposed to do that.

Q: Tell him we are interested in buying the eggs.
    A: Very well. Though that wasn't actually a question.

We set it up so Ranger Nathan will meet us tomorrow in the disreputable bar where Thos-Ki heard about the Oyster Square house.

We went back to the Seaside. Fabada wasn't back from rehearsal yet. Faren had sent a messenger. The gossipy innkeep handed the message over to us. "Met Philosophers today. Staying here tonight. Meeting Hospitalers tomorrow."

Typical Faren, I thought. My cousin didn't even say how he did.

Next Time: Faren's Philosophy and trip to the Hospital!

We just logged out of Fantasy Grounds and I forgot to tell you guys about this link: http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/...year-olds.html

Three weeks in a row without a standup fight, though we did technically roll initiative this time.

Social Worker
    That is awesome. I need to print those and store them away.

I did my best to provoke the party tonight. Goblins and evil clerics, insulting gnomes, arrogant rangers, and even a little singing. I have to laugh because before the game I was scrambling to put that encounter together (there's nothing in the module for it) because I was sure that Kava was going to stab the egg thief at the first chance he got.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob O'Boston View Post
    I have to laugh because before the game I was scrambling to put that encounter together (there's nothing in the module for it) because I was sure that Kava was going to stab the egg thief at the first chance he got.
    Kava is too self conscious to go randomly stabbing people if he isn't absolutely sure. He was 100% pissed, but only 99% sure. Plus the whole lawful thing really drags him down; you would think drawing a flaming, living sword would be enough provocation but no, bunch of cowards tonight.

PS. Kava totally remembered to pick up the 2000 gold he tossed on the ground to make a point.

Mad Chester
    I (maybe not Thos-Ki) feel really bad for narc'ing on our party to the constable for that one, but Thos-Ki was totally worried Kava would probably have broken the law and regretted it later -- so I apologize for breaking up the tense stand-off into a non-event.

Part The First

Haggling Over Drinks

The next morning, we were leaving one inn to go to another. The ranger who stole the dragon's egg agreed to meet us at a dive called The Bilge Pump. There, we could buy it back from him, or perhaps confiscate it as evidence. In the not-so-long run, we wanted to return the egg to its mother, and perhaps gain a powerful ally against the Ragesians. Cousin Faren never came back from his meeting with the refugee clerics, but continued to send messages declaring--well, declaring very little, but that he was continuing to work. That meant he was still alive, we supposed. Fabada had his mornings free before his rehearsals, so he was going to the Bilge Pump with us.

As we stepped into the common room, the innkeep begged us to come over. "A present came for you, sirs!" he cried. "A message boy came bringing this! It's from the citizenry. Boy said something about how they wanted to show their gratitude for your help with the cockatrice yesterday afternoon." He held up a bottle of wine. I lifted up an eyebrow, and behind his mask, I could tell Thos-Ki was doing the same.

We took a look at the bottle. It was glass, and appeared to be filled with wine. I popped off the cork and took a whiff. Smelled like wine. "Anyone want any?" Kava sighed and made reference to the time of day, which was no answer but I took it for a no. Fabada also deferred. The possibility of poison was mentioned. Well, as a dwarf, the good Grandfather cast my stomach out of wrought iron, and so I advised that I would be the best to test it. Thos-Ki also was interested in the alcohol. We poured the bottle into two relatively clean glasses. Thos-Ki and I toasted each other's health, then it was bottom's up. Then everything got very painful and hard to breathe. I was aware of Kava slapping his hands on Thos-Ki's back, then laying them on with more firmness. Thos-Ki stopped spewing foam out of his mask. My cast-iron stomach couldn't handle this poison, for poison it certainly was. I began to worry that I was going to die, doubtlessly done in by Ragesian agents. The poison would not be shaken off like fleas from a dog. Suddenly Thos-Ki was back. He had found his last healing potion and was pouring it down my throat. It managed to counteract the poison. I made an enormous mess on the table, but now felt two steps away from death instead of one step.

The innkeep wrung his hands helplessly. He said he felt awful, that the boy seemed so legitimate. He sent out two of his own boys to track that boy down and find some answers. Kava and Fabada asked Thos-Ki and me if we should keep our appointment or stay and heal. Especially if weapons might be drawn. We all decided we would keep the appointment. So off we went.

The enemy knows where we lodge at night. We must begin to take wiser precautions. Perhaps set a watch as if we were in the wilderness.

Part The Second

We had actually been in the Bilge Pump before. This was were that strange man, dressed as a militiaman, had told Thos-Ki where we could make contact with a Resistance member. That clue had borne no fruit. Now we were back. Our friend at the Lyceum had told us to meet a gnome here, and that gnome would lead us to the ranger Lowduke and his poached egg. The crowd was angrier than normal. A mob of sullen seamen were complaining about the price of grog. We heard the barkeeper try to placate them, but with the blockade in place there was nothing he could do about the rising prices. There was a gnome there. Seeing us, he sprang to his feet. He introduced himself as Lord Littleclap. Fabada brightly announced that he had once had a case of the littleclap, but he went to a cleric and had it healed up. Turning his charm to maximum capacity, he told or implied that he was an actor with the Wayfarers, and that the rest of us were other actors or lackeys or other men-behind-the-curtain. The gnome was suspicious of this, first wondering what the troupe would want with a dragon's egg, and then if we could afford it. But our attorney-thespian made a good show of our accounts.

It was around this time I smelled the foul and unmistakable stench of goblin. Here, in the bar, and not too far away. I looked around but didn't see any of the little demons.

The gnome invited us to follow him over to one of the curtained-off alcoves some of the nicer tables had. We did so. Fabada was introduced to the ranger, Nathan Lowduke. They began haggling over the price of the egg. The arguments became circular. The asking price was 5000 but steadily climbing. Thos-Ki loudly announced that we could not continue without provenance or even evidence that there was an egg. At that point, I offered my service as budding ranger to examine the egg. I sat down at the table with his gang. The first thing I noticed were the three grinning goblins seated with me. My skin began to crawl. Then there was some creepy masked man across the table, sitting next to the ranger. The masked man removed a sort of egg carton from his backpack and displayed the contents. The stone was ovular, and shiny, and possibly a dragon's WHY ARE THERE GOBLINS SITTING NEXT TO ME AND I AM NOT KILLING THEM egg. There now, Thufir old boy, I thought to myself. One of the first things I did when I got to this town was check on the goblin-killing rules, and Seaquen sadly does not feature an attack-on-sight justified murder ordinance. While we are in city limits, unless they try to attack me first, killing is murder. I felt nauseated, partially from the poison aftereffects and partially from gobbo proximity, so I threw up my hands and a portion of my breakfast. I said that it looked like a sparkly rock and I dunno but maybe it was also a dragon's egg.

The ranger looked disgusted and raised the price some more. We had the mob of thirsty seamen fetch Bennamen from the Lyceum, offering the first one to bring him back two gold pieces. At this point we had to prove that we did have the necessary gold on us. Fabada had a large amount he hadn't managed to spend yet, putting us over the requested price. The ranger, his gnome, and his deacon were mollified by this, and did not leave yet. While we waited, the goblins tried to play childish mind games. They moved over to us and laughed as they chattered in that horrible goblin tongue. One began pestering Thos-Ki with inane questions. Another tried to make eye contact with me. I continued to watch the alcove. I moved over to Kava and whispered that if we weren't in the middle of a city, these goblins would have been dead long before. Kava tightly nodded, and I realized how he was barely holding himself in check. This egg-being-stolen-from-a-dragon thing was deeply affecting him. Prof Bee came back (led by one seaman, crusty with blood and mud), spluttering with anger. He was in the middle of a lecture, he lectured, and could not be called away for frippery. We all, friend and potential foe alike, gathered around a large table in the middle of the room. Bennamen positively identified it as a green dragon's egg. He couldn't determine when it would hatch, but didn't think it would for a while. And with that, he left.

"There, it's an egg," said the ranger. "Like I said. Are you going to buy it, or not buy it? If not, there are other buyers out there. My time is precious, and you losers have squandered enough of it." None of us would speak. We didn't really want to give this asshole our money. Finally we said we would sleep on it. "Fine. The next time we meet, if I haven't already sold it, the price will be seven thousand gold." His damned goblins started cackling. The gnome made lewd remarks about what Kava wanted to do with the egg and/or the hatchling.

"That's reasonable," Thos-Ki said, sensing the tension in the room. "Why don't we peacefully leave. Thufir? Why don't you leave first." He was concerned I was going to smash in some gob heads, which was a reasonable assumption. I nodded and left the bar, though, figuring I would tail the ranger and his crew, seeing where they were staying and where they were keeping the egg, in case we had to perform any nighttime confiscation of stolen property.

I hid behind a bush for quite some time. No one else was leaving the bar. Finally the slightly enriched seaman, fortified with wine, stumbled out of the bar. I hissed at him to tell me what was going on. "Cops or magistrate or someone," he mumbled, and staggered off.

I crept around to the back door entrance. Now the tension in the room was so thick it could not be cut by a flaming living blade. That was what Kava appeared to be attempting, anyway, for he was standing in the middle of the room, blade drawn. Kava refused to stain his honor and strike first in cold blood. The gobbos and other villains were also standing there, refusing to give him the satisfaction and legal justification to attack. No one was leaving. Weapons were drawn, but no one was attacking. It was a Seaquen standoff.

Some militiamen came through the front entrance. Thos-Ki tried to tell them what was going on, but important words were muffled through his helmet and only annoyed them. Kava passionately plead to have the ranger and company arrested.

"We did nothing wrong! We stole from a monster out in the swamp! You would have done and have done the same thing!"

"It's not the same."

"This dragon attacked a ship the other day out in the harbor, sank it to the bottom! It's a dangerous creature!"

"And it only attacked the ship after the egg was stolen, correct?"

"Yes, er...."

"These men are threatening the city by inciting a dragon attack! They also were bragging that they could sell the egg to the Ragesians, trafficking dangerous magical goods to the enemy!"

The militiamen finally had Kava come and talk with their leader, a Xavious we had heard of previously. Thos-Ki went back to the Inn. The villains marched out the front door. Silent as a cloud among clouds, I followed them through the crowds. Where are they hiding themselves? And Fabada went to play practice.

Next time: Faren's Philosophy, his Trip to the Hospital, and descent into Savagery.

Goodluck!!
    Sorry folks, I've got a long weekend to prepare for and won't be able to attend tonight's festivities.

Rehearsals, rehearsals! It's not easy being the lead acrobat in a musical play.

Social Worker
    I too must cancel for tonight, sorry guys. My apologies for letting you know so late in the day. I'll be back on schedule next week.

New Romantic
    I have company coming over so I probably wouldn't have been able to make till later tonight anyways and next week I have to miss too, it being our moving day.

If you guys listen to the QT3 podcast from this week, someone mentions this game and the players who play it. It's only about 3 or 4 hours in....

See ya'll next week, then. Maybe Faren will let us know how his evangelism is going, and we can get a sneak peek of Fabada's play.

World's End Supernova
    Damn, I just got home yesterday too :(

I don't know how Rob wants to work out the details of my role playing the meeting. It seems like it might take a little while so I don't know if you want to take up next week's time to handle it or if we should handle it beforehand somehow.

Mad Chester
    First time the whole party has been completely split too.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscman View Post
    If you guys listen to the QT3 podcast from this week, someone mentions this game and the players who play it. It's only about 3 or 4 hours in....

See ya'll next week, then. Maybe Faren will let us know how his evangelism is going, and we can get a sneak peek of Fabada's play.
    Famous!!!! It is exactly at the 2 hour mark by the way. Also, great podcast J-Dehn!

Social Worker

Dealing with the party split

We haven't had a session with all five characters off doing their own thing, and I don't think we should start now. In order to head-off a lot of downtime while waiting for each character to pursue his own agenda, I am going to cut to the chase for each character.

Faren has had meetings with two of the eight religious entities in Seaquen, as he attempts to lobby each one into helping the Templar Laurabec fulfill her united temple project (a Lyceum of Divine Power). His meeting with the Ragesian Philosophers is fairly easy, as they also worship Ioun. The high priest Sturkatan does challenge Faren with one dilemma he has been wrestling with himself. If the priests of Ioun were in possession of a Doomsday spell, would Ioun desire them to share this spell with others? The open sharing of all knowledge is the prime tenet of worshiping Ioun, and Stukartan asks Faren what he believes is the correct answer.

Faren also meets with the Ragesian Hospitalars, lead by a half-orc paladin named Seperimus. Although she seems interested in helping Laurabec, she is overwhelmed in attempting to heal the refugees around Seaquen. They have a particularly nasty disease that is making its way around the camp, called Rotjaw. Helping Seperimus discover a cure to Rotjaw (by way of healing check or devout prayer to Ioun) would be the easiest way to gain Seprimus's support.

Thufir follows Lowduke and his gang out of Seaquen and toward the swamp. They take a hunter's trail rather than the main road, but as luck would have it (and the critical success on Thufir's stealth roll), a large group of refugee hunters fall in behind Lowduke and his crew. Thufir mixes in with the refugees and follows Lowduke to a hidden path, and breaks off from the hunters to trail Lowduke to a secret bunker made of logs and mud. It is a long, low building, built into a large embankment. There are a pair of goblin mercenaries that greet him and one of them stays outside to keep watch. I will await a perception check before giving more details.

Thos-ki makes his way to the Lyceum to inquire about spell dueling and adult education classes, but is stopped by a friendly minstrel. The minstrel asks if his name is Thos-ki and tells him about the young woman named Jess and that she's looking for him. The same story follows: she knows of Buron, has given a good description of the party members, and says to meet her at the same house in Oyster Square. The minstrel appears genuine and says he met Jess about three weeks ago, but hasn't seen her since.

At the Lyceum, Thos-ki meets a number of students who tell him all about the spell dueling held at the school. It is never to the death, mostly done for training and bragging rights, and requires the duelist to only use spells. There is one duel already in progress that day, a pair of students are being easily defeated by Katrina, the redheaded fire wizard the party saved in the swamp. She challenges Thos-ki to a duel for the next day (only one duel per person per day is one of the rules). She also mentions that if he's good enough, she would be interested in partnering with him for some more serious duels held in the the third floor of the Royale.

Kava meets with Xavious, the dwarven warlord from Dassen who is training a militia made up of refugees. He is exactly Kava's kind of guy: honest, helpful, militant. He is very interested in turning Seaquen into a base of operations against the forces of Ragesia. The militia is just a first step. He foresees an army of men at arms supported with a cadre of Lyceum mages. At the moment though his militia numbers less than 100.

Xavious invites Kava to play a strategy game he keeps in his small stone fortress. It is called Conquest and has awesome components. There is a large, thick cardboard map of the world (Ragesia, Gate Pass, Dassen, etc) and it uses wooden pieces to represent armies, spies, heroes, etc. It uses a ton of euro-mechanics but retains enough theme to be an awesome ameritrash game as well. After playing a game (skill check to see who wins), Xavious uses the board and pieces to give Kava a strategic assessment of Ragesia's forces.

The 1st Ragesian army is pillaging Sindaire.
    The 2nd Ragesian army is still besieging Gate Pass.
    The 3rd Ragesian army is poised to attack Dassen, but bad weather has held it back.
    The 4th Ragesian army is attacking the Shahalesti around the northern edge of the Otdar mountains.

It is Xavious's opinion that Leska is foolishly splitting her forces. Even though the Ragesians are winning every battle, they are too spread out to hold anything.

Finally, Xavious agrees with Kava that Nathan Lowduke has recklessly endangered Seaquen by stealing the dragon's egg. Although Xavious is not the law in Seaquen, he suggests that Kava confront Lowduke outside of the town limits and seize and return the egg by whatever means he deems necessary.

Fabada is Toteth Topec, in the Spectacular Trial of Toteth Topec. The show is a visual spectacle with songs, acrobatics, and pyrotechnics, relating an old Ragesian myth with a modern, political twist. The tale concerns an ancient druid named Toteth Topec, who supposedly learned that the world was in danger of being torn apart at its very elemental foundation. It is full of action, magic, betrayal and great heroism.

Fabada has spent most of the first few days practicing the acrobatic moves necessary to dodge the attack of a phantom dragon that opens the play.

Giorgio, the man that formerly had the role of Toteth Topec has been trying to sabotage Fabada and turn the other actors against him, all in an effort to get the starring role back. With Fabada's superior skills he has been able to overcome the broken props Giorgio has given him to use, but it will require a diplomacy check to see if the other actors give Fabada a fair shake.

As a bonus, here is a map of the Wayfarers' Theater. The ship has many magical properties, with one of them being the dimensional warping that allows for the extra-large theater.

That was incredibly awesome, Rob! Can't wait to play tonight.

(Are we playing tonight? Gendal is moving, he said.)

Goodluck!!
    I'm in for tonight!

Excellent job, Rob! Too bad I suck at Diplomacy...

World's End Supernova
    I should be OK for tonight.

Mad Chester
    Very cool individual side quests there. I'm in for tonight.

Should have multi-classed bard instead of ranger.

Got dem "Been Poisoned Blues"

I followed the ranger Lowduke and his gang of gobliny miscreants back to their lair. I thought it would be in the city somewhere, but it was out in the swamp, proper. I plopped down in the muck and among the mosquitoes and leeches tried to get an idea of the opposition. The poisoned wine that had nearly killed me earlier that day didn't help. The night went on, and words began forming to some tune that Chorba used to strum on our journeys.

Been stalking evil men
    But I cain't stay awake
    Stakeout comes to nothin'
    Will the dragon get back her egg?

I'll stumble back
    back to the inn
    swamp mud covers my shoes.
    Hope that I can
    fin'lly shake off
    these Been Poisoned Blues.

Big man cain't hit a girl
    with magic or a stick
    She humiliates him
    He gets flame-charred real quick

I knew a paladin
    swayed not by gold or fame
    He lost the will for fightin'
    waylaid for days by a game

My cousin's been unitin'
    a hundred diff'rent faiths with his zeal.
    Gotta quarantine him
    for the lepers that he's healed

Our actor and our lawyer
    his tumblin' is admired.
    But he's not making friends there
    or finding an old man in a fire.

I'm feelin' down, bad luck has turned up
    Might be we'll lose.
    I'm feelin' bad, can't keep anything down
    I got them
    Been Poisoned Blues.

It turned out that a good afternoon's sleep cleared up most of it. I showed the party, except for AWOL Kava, back to the longhouse bunker where the ranger and his evil friends were fortified. We had picked up my buddy from the old neighborhood. Piotr didn't want to risk his neck fighting the ranger and the evil spirits, but agreed to remember the trail there and back. He was going to bring Kava. Thos-Ki gives his home-brewed potion of mimicry to Fabada, who guzzles it. Then the goblin massacre began, and long past time, too.

Next time: Can't make an omelet without finding some dragon eggs.

Social Worker
    How many players will we have this evening?

Goodluck!!
    I'm in!

World's End Supernova
    I'll be here.

I should be there.

Mad Chester
    Me 4.

Social Worker
    I wonder if Gendal is still mid-move and sans internet. If he isn't around tonight then it is a very good thing that the party currently has surprise on their side. If Kava does show up, he'll come in clanking and give you all away anyway.