Thread: Grimoire to be out in March 2010? It's got to be a joke, right?

Spinning Toe

Grimoire to be out in March 2010? It's got to be a joke, right?

How To Go
    I played a build of Grimoire a long time ago. Hell, that must have been 11 or 12 years ago.

New Romantic
    He's been resetting that date for the last few years now...its his little joke om humanity...

New Romantic
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to be telling me, but it looks really complicated, so the game is probably going to be awesome.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Desslock View Post
    I played a build of Grimoire a long time ago. Hell, that must have been 11 or 12 years ago.
    Yeap, I've read your impressions of the beta Desslock. Good job.Actually before reading it I was leaning toward conclusion that it's a vaporware.

Cleve is strange guy. Why tease/frustrate people with all these broken promises? Personally I would prefer him to just shut the fuck up until he is *really* sure that there is a good chance of releasing it on whatever date he feel comfortable with.

Anyway, he wrote on his site that final beta was supposed to start on 1/1/2010. Since I've heard no buzz about it whatsoever, is it safe to assume that it was just another of the broken milestones, which means March 2010 doesn't mean anything, correct?

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    I wasn't aware Cleve was even working on Grimoire anymore. I thought he focused all his superhuman software engineering abilities on making DesqView run on a DOS box.

Neo Acoustic
    Hasn't it always been a joke? It's been what, almost 15 years? I used to enjoy his ranting on usenet about his superhuman programming abilities while missing date after date. It was awesome watching him freak out on people if they dared to disbelieve his latest announced date. It was even better when after missing several dates he kept adding names of games he was going to release right after Grimoire to his angry announcements. I think he even boasted at one time about how cool Grimoire II was going to be. He's truly one of the greatest vaporware producers of all time.

You know, I kind of miss the hilarity that DS and CB used to provide on the csipg groups. It was some high quality insanity.

Keeper of the Frop Bog How To Go
    Was it in PC Gamer? Does PC Gamer still have all previous issues on it's CD? If so, I'll actually load up the CD I get with the mag to read it.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nahr View Post
    I wasn't aware Cleve was even working on Grimoire anymore. I thought he focused all his superhuman software engineering abilities on making DesqView run on a DOS box.
    I remember DesqView. I used to run it on my 386 so I could program while running my Telegard BBS on the same box. Crap, now this thread is making me feel old.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrag View Post
    You know, I kind of miss the hilarity that DS and CB used to provide on the csipg groups. It was some high quality insanity.
    There are plenty of gems from both of them here on QT3 if you care to go digging through the search engine.

Account closed Neo Acoustic
    Hell, if you can stomach it, just go to the RPGcodex, he's still posting and the brain trust that runs the site gives him and the rest of the white supremacists free reign.

Social Worker
    Yes, despite the existence of the beta, Grimoire is simply a hoax and joke. And that joke isn't funny anymore.

New Romantic
    If you read his blog, you may start to suspect that Cleve doesn't really get up to much at all, because he's too busy trying not to realize that he isn't actually a major world-historical figure and doesn't actually have any superpowers.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    That takes a lot of work alright.

Account closed New Romantic

I think I enjoy his blog more than I'd like the game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    He's been resetting that date for the last few years now...its his little joke om humanity...
    You know how people who predict the apocalypse always bump the date forward when it doesn't happen? I think when the world ends in whatever horrible way Cleve imagines that week (presumably something to do with sunspots, global climate, communism, and Mud Races), the idea is that he'll be able to say to whoever else survives that Grimoire was going to come out that week, too. Truly, armageddon will stop humanity just short of its greatest triumph.

New Romantic
    True, true...

Oh, speaking of Cleve and crazy people's blogs, Koontz (who always expressed a surprising admiration for Cleve) has finally worked his way around to Clevesque racial pronouncements:

http://briankoontz.wordpress.com/201...omen-and-jews/

New Romantic
    Not clicking that--why give him the validation of another hit? Cliffs notes? Nah, never mind, I'm sure it's horrifying and stupid.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
    Was it in PC Gamer? Does PC Gamer still have all previous issues on it's CD? If so, I'll actually load up the CD I get with the mag to read it.
    No, I was writing for Computer Gaming World back then. I might have written a column on it, but I think it was just impressions that I wrote for my old site, Desslock's RPG News

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by David Erikson View Post
    Cleve is strange guy. Why tease/frustrate people with all these broken promises? Personally I would prefer him to just shut the fuck up until he is *really* sure that there is a good chance of releasing it on whatever date he feel comfortable with.
    I would prefer him to just shut the fuck up.

Social Worker
    No, I was writing for Computer Gaming World back then. I might have written a column on it, but I think it was just impressions that I wrote for my old site, Desslock's RPG News
    You definately did at your site, post RPG-Therapy days, because I remember reading it. I didn't know how much of a loon Cleve was then. I was interested in the game, though I found some of his claims. . . fascinating. I remember when Grimoire was going to have a 60-80 hour completion time for the "easy" game, a 200+ hour playtime for the middle game, and 600+ for the do-it-all and find all the secrets game with the super special ending.

Good times.

Also, Cleve does have super powers, contrary to whatever was posted above.

Social Worker
    The last I heard about Cleve was that he was living somewhere in Australia and was building himself a Fallout-style Vault. I think he is a survivalist nutcase. That was many years ago though. I have no idea what he is up to now. Maybe building an atomic bomb?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars View Post
    \Oh, speaking of Cleve and crazy people's blogs, Koontz (who always expressed a surprising admiration for Cleve) has finally worked his way around to Clevesque racial pronouncements:

http://briankoontz.wordpress.com/201...omen-and-jews/
    See, it's always been clear to me that Cleve is a performance art/hoax. A stupid and unfunny hoax, but clearly bullshit. Whereas this Koontz guy is writing stuff that screams full-on paranoid schizophrenic "the Jews are causing the apocalypse" probably-going-to-shoot-someone-at-the-local-post-office-any-day-now crazy.