Thread: the sims 3 expansion region restriction install issue.

Account closed Broad Band

the sims 3 expansion region restriction install issue.

i have the retail sims 3 pc game.
    i recently obtained the retail world adventures expansion - it is the asia-pacific region retail box (same as the sims 3 i have). when trying to install i get:

wtf ?
    i made sure that every regional option (time-date setting/keyboard/os language etc) on my windows xp sp3 install was set to australia.

the "install code" it refers to, i assume is the cd key i used to install the sims 3? well what about it ? it's the one that came with the sims 3 - it's original and works. i even used it online on ea's website to register the free sim currency bonus they gave with the retail version.

remember i'm talking about retail versions for both, not ea digital store or any other digital distro version. i don't have to be (and am not) online when installing - well, attempting to anyway.

is this some new bullshit ea is going to introduce ? in 20 years of pc gaming i have never come across a region locked game.

confused down under,

Account closed How To Go
    I guess it's possible that the retailer imported their copies from another region, screwing you in the process. If not then the expansion shipped with a bug. Either way you are not to blame.

I suggest you contact EA about making this right. They should have a support phone/email adress. If that fails, see about returning the game to the store.

getting a refund will not be a problem. that's not the issue.
    i want to play this shit.

i was rather specific that it is the correct "region" version for me.

that's the whole point..

in the meantime, i uninstalled sims 3 and reinstalled it. during the install it asked what region i was in. (which is very rare for a pc game setup) when i saw that, i was sure i found the solution, because when i originally installed the sims 3 i just left it at the default, united states. i selected australia, and installed it. the expansion still does not install. and remember, this error comes up before the expansion even tries to install or even ask me for the expansion cd key. so it's the fucking setup that, i assume, looks in the registry hive for the sims 3 cd key (?) and spits out the error box above.

i even searched for the sims 3 serial in the registry, found it, and as a further test deleted it and tried the expansion setup. same bullshit. i thought it would at least spit out a new error, something to the effect of:"invalid sims 3 code" or "unable to locate your sims 3 code" or such... that way i would know 100% what it actually checks. as it stands, i still don't know for sure. unless there's another sims 3 serial in the registry that's obfuscated or encrypted (highly unlikely) and it checks that one. again, highly unlikely.

also doesn't this as a separate issue, raise alarm bells for some of you ? that ea is trying to match a game to a region specific add-on ?

for my next try i will reinstall the sims 3 and select singapore as the region. then try the add-on setup. just a hunch. not because it's made in singapore, because most game we get here, are. rather, because of the north tower address. i won't hold my breath.

Account closed How To Go
    I find region-locking annoying and consumer hostile but EA pulling that kind of crap isn't tha surprising, sadly.

Since you have the correct version for your region the only solution to this particular problem seems to be a long conversation with EA support which may or may not help you within any kind of reasonable timeframe.

looks like it is a registry issue. the key is the SKU one.
    and i was not alone in this. guess i should have googled it before.