Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spec Ops: The Line - Post apocalyptic Dubai

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man

Spec Ops: The Line - Post apocalyptic Dubai

Found this video because of Tom's Fidgit post mentioning the videos that debuted during the VGAs. The game looks really good: SD Link.

It looks like a pretty neat first person shooter. I'm not really familiar with the Spec Ops series though. Apparently it was on PC and then migrated to a couple of games on the PS1? Who is the developer on this? It's from 2K Games, but that includes a lot of developers under its umbrella.

How To Go
    Was a thread on this already, wasn't getting much attention
    http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ad.php?t=56507

Ah cool. Oops. Sorry about that. I totally missed that thread somehow. I think "Spec Ops: The Line" is the most generic, missable name they could have come up with. My brain probably filtered it out automatically from the forum listing.

I tried the demo this morning on Xbox Live.

First impressions:

- Love the portion before any fighting starts. Great atmosphere, friendly banter, Nolan North, all very pleasant.

- Gameplay is Gears of War style cover based shooter, but I love that your squad mates are so useful. Ordering them to use stun grenades when I'm pinned down, or ordering them to kill specific enemies is very useful. I love that. I love being in a team with competent squadmates.

- The demo gives a lot of the storyline surprises away just so that they can skip ahead to Chapter 5. Did they really need to tell us all the revelations from Chapters 1 through 4 in the demo just so that we could play Chapter 5?

- I like the sand a lot. Very nice sand and wind effects throughout the demo, including the wind blowing the rappel ropes, and the sand really kicking up from grenades.

- Speaking of sand, it's really nice playing a game in a new unique setting instead of the same old places again. Dubai seems like a very nice setting, really well portrayed here. From the highway at the beginning of the game, to the dried out roof swimming pools full of sand in Chapter 5, it's all pretty nicely thought out and layed out.

- I love that if you don't shoot people in the head they still go down pretty fast, and kind of writhe in agony for a long time. There was one guy who was near me and he was facing away from me as he kept grabbing the shoulder that I'd shot, which was still spewing blood. I kept expecting him to grab his rifle and turn around and shoot at me again, but eventually he just passed out from the blood loss. Some great animations in this game.

- I am somewhat intrigued by the story. The dialog is a bit uneven. Some lines are great, some are cringe-worthy, but overall, they do a good enough job that I hope the story doesn't end up being stupid. If the story is actually good, this could definitely be a journey worth taking with this squad.

- Actually scratch that. I liked the gameplay enough, that even if the story ends up being just an excuse to propel you forward, the Dubai setting and the high production values might actually be enough to make this journey worth taking.

New Romantic
    Wish there was a PC demo. Sounds promising.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Wish there was a PC demo. Sounds promising.
    A PC demo is planned and will be released ahead of the game's launch.

New Romantic
    Awesome, glad to hear it.

Neo Acoustic
    I was really impressed by this demo. Not enough to preorder - but I'll definitely Lovefilm this as soon as I can.

One thing I forgot to mention. My very first thought in the opening scene of the demo: Holy hell, the bad guys have a LOT of helicopters. Not sure if that will bear out under scrutiny when the story unfolds, but it makes for good spectacle. Maybe there's a helicopter dealership in fictional Dubai that keeps a lot of stock on hand, and the 33rd division (or the CIA) appropriated it.

I was invited to the closed multiplayer beta a few months ago. It was the most fun I've had on my Xbox since Bad Company 2.

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Does this game still not have zombies? Because it looks like it's in dire need of zombies.

-Tom

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I was invited to the closed multiplayer beta a few months ago. It was the most fun I've had on my Xbox since Bad Company 2.
    I suppose you are NDA'ed but... can you describe somehow how it was that good?

One of the things I liked about the Al Franken Show on Air America is that he let the listeners in to the many secrets that he'd been told by the people around him on what makes good radio. So he'd have recurring segments, because he'd been told that people who listen regularly like there to be order and regular segments that feel comfortable to them. This can also be applied to podcasts, of course. People like the familiar.

Similarly, one nugget he shared with one of his guests was not to talk about the book that's not out yet. Talk only about the book that's already out and in book stores. When doing radio during a publicity tour, they do it after the book is out, so that when people hear about it on the radio, they can go buy it at a book store (or on Amazon, whatever) right away. If you talk about a book in advance, people aren't going to remember it.

Sometimes I feel like the same principle should apply to game demos. This demo was good enough that I thought about it all day at work today. When I got home, if I could have, I would have bought it on the way home from work. They could have had a sale today. But the game isn't due out for another seven weeks. I have no idea what I'll be doing in seven weeks, but I can already tell you that any chance of an impulse buy based on the demo will be zero by then.

I tried this out based on your comments Rock8man, glad I did. This is a pretty cool Gears-style military shooter. I'm a little on the fence about whether I want to purchase it or not, but I think this would have gone completely by me otherwise, so thanks for writing this down.

Quote Originally Posted by TurinTur View Post
    I suppose you are NDA'ed but... can you describe somehow how it was that good?
    It's hard to explain what is was but the overall experience kept me playing even though it had a load of bugs.

There were two gametypes: CTF and a mix of Domination/Rush. CTF matches ended too fast so I kept playing the other. The maps were pretty small but the gameplay is very team based. A team working together could often choke an unorganized team with snipers and emplaced weapons. The kits all had their pros and cons which made them useful in some situation and less in other. I vaguely remember some customization options and a perk system. There was also random supply drops with RPG/Grenadelaunchers and sandstorms that could often turn the tide of the battle.

New Romantic
    PC demo now available on Steam. Gonna check that out soon.

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Look, today I have new updates of BF3 and Tribes, don't make me play another one on top of that!

I have no interest in this, but the game is 26% off over at GreenManGaming.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...-ops-the-line/

(16% + the 10% ubi coupon code)

New Romantic
    Hmm, GMG lists the base price as $60, while Steam has it at $50... Still a $5 savings (with the Ubi code).

New Romantic
    Played the first part of the demo, before it starts giving stuff away (thanks, Rock8man!).

It's pretty good. The port is excellent (it looks and controls great) and the setting is mysterious and appealing. Basically everything Rock8man said is still true. Definitely will grab this when it hits the 50%-off sale.

New Romantic
    Not to waste this triple post, there were some lines that made me chuckle! So that was good. And Heart of Darkness is a great story, so the script may be a selling point.

Neo Acoustic
    It definitely feels strange to hear Drake's voice coming out of that man.

Neo Acoustic
    I wasn't too enamored with the demo. I quit about halfway (I assume?) through and uninstalled it. The setting is unique and seems interesting, but honestly that seemed like all the demo had going for it. Dialogue was forgettable, characters were just your generic American Soldier Men. The gameplay was typical cover shooter that felt a little too "loose" and arcadey for me. Coming fresh off Max Payne 3, which I think does third-person cover shooter very well, this seemed like a step backwards.

Mad Chester
    So 2 years or so ago goHastings.com made a pricing error and I was able to pre-order this and L.A. Noire for $30 each. Instead of canceling the order they chose to honor it since it was around Christmas. My copy shipped today. Too bad I'm like 1000 miles away and won't be able to play it for 2 more months.

New Romantic
    I was tentatively sold on the concept of this game after hearing one of the devs talk about it on a podcast a while back. I thought the demo was pretty good and I was intrigued enough to preorder the game. My copy should arrive tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to it.

New Romantic
    Edit: Whoops! Double post.
    Last edited by MSUSteve; 06-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.

New Romantic
    I found the New York Times review to be really interesting. It has some general plot spoilers to support its points, so if you're very sensitive to that you probably shouldn't read it. The short takeaway for me is that the author recognized what the game was trying to do, but that ultimately it did not accomplish it. Still, I felt he at least commended the game for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    In moments like these, Spec Ops is a thoughtful and harrowing contrast to the power fantasies of its competitors. But it is not confident enough, alas, to trust players with much subtlety.

New Romantic
    Mitch Dyer at IGN gave it an 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Dyer
    Spec Ops isn’t about a war, protecting the world, or defeating some evil threat -- it’s about you, the effects of your actions, and events that are out of your control. The sum of Spec Ops’ unexpected story is an army shooter that makes killing people mean something. This, along with its thoughtful aesthetic and intelligent enemy encounters, defies the standard established by low-aiming action games. Multiplayer can’t muster up the same courage, though, and while the hollow online experience doesn’t detract from the single-player campaign’s accomplishments, its reliance on convention doesn’t do anything to elevate it.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of it MSUSteve. If I didn't have guests staying with me this month and I could play games, I'd pick it up based on liking the demo.

New Romantic
    This is definitely on my list, but I can't get fifty dollars excited about linear cover shooters anymore. Both this and Future Soldier are waiting for a sale.