Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EU3: Heir to the Throne

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanacker View Post
    I was Papal Controller for like a month but didn't see any options to actually do anything with it. What was I missing? Also, why is the Holy War caucus belli gone in my game around 1650? Makes it expensive in infamy to fight the Ottomans.
    Papal Controller gives you a bunch of domestic benefits, but it's big power is excommunication. Your target needs to have poor relations with the Pope.

The Holy War CB vanishes to represent the diminishing importance of religious wars. They chose the historical end of the Thirty Years War (1648) intentionally, I think, since it was the last major religious war in Europe.

Troy

Account closed How To Go
    You start getting Imperialism casus bellis on everyone around the same time as the Holy War CB disappears, so you can still be aggressive.

New Romantic
    I was Papal Controller for like a month but didn't see any options to actually do anything with it. What was I missing? Also, why is the Holy War caucus belli gone in my game around 1650? Makes it expensive in infamy to fight the Ottomans.

And it's a totally different game than Civ 4, but right now I like it about the same. But I am noticing little oddities here and there the more I play so it might not hold up until another patch or two (sometimes the computer will throw a bunch of tiny stacks against my big doomstack one at a time instead of consolidating first, was something I noticed yesterday).
    I've been papal controller as well a few times, and also dont know if one has any kind of options. You gain a ton of modifiers for the period though, and thats pretty good, but as for actualy decisions like when you are Holy Emperor, I havent seen any.

As for holy war - is that some kind of historical turning point, where Holy War wasnt viable anymore?

Edit: for some reason, I didnt see the above posts. Thanks for clarifying
    Last edited by Razgon; 01-21-2010 at 02:52 AM.

New Romantic
    Word from the Paradox convention is that the Magna Mundi mod is going to be spun off into its own commercial release, much like For The Glory was. This will apparently let them make some changes they want that are either difficult or impossible to do through the scripting alone.

New Romantic
    Would that kill support for the free version, then?

Account closed How To Go
    If HttT is the last upgrade EU3 will get then they can probably release an update for Magna Mundi to work with it and then move on to an independent project.

New Romantic
    Is the Magna Mundi mod better than the base game or just different? Not sure if I want to try a mod for my next playthrough or not.

New Romantic
    The Magna Mundi mod is fairly controversial. It adds a good deal of difficulty that Ubik (the modder) insists is necessary to keep the game historically accurate, but in practice involves the game punching you in the kidneys any time you start to be successful. There's also a sub-mod, the Sengoku mod, that adds an insane amount of events to medieval Japan to try to simulate the warring shoguns era but tends to make the game engine choke.

Some people did a modmod called fun2mmp which tried to mod out some of the more kidney-punching aspects of the mod. Ubik responded claiming that he would sue anyone who alters his work in any way and that future versions would be unmoddable. No one is really sure if he's kidding.

In any event it's not compatible with HttT.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    The Magna Mundi mod is fairly controversial. It adds a good deal of difficulty that Ubik (the modder) insists is necessary to keep the game historically accurate, but in practice involves the game punching you in the kidneys any time you start to be successful.
    Heh - well that would be rather historical; cf., the history of most of the great European empires after Rome...

New Romantic
    So here's the world in 1709:

And here's Spain:

Possibly due to being dishonorable scum, Ming has been beat down by Great Britain, Japan, and Manchu. They were out of troops at one point but they're trying to come back.

Burgundy kicked France around and became a dishonorable scum so I decided to take that opportunity to knock them down a bit. They had a sizable military and just when I had gotten over the hump, pretty much all their neighbors jump in and start grabbing stuff while I'm still tangling with their main forces. Thanks, guys (smart move, though). Other than me, nobody except maybe France actually comes away with any provinces (someone forces them to release a bunch of countries, though) and one got out too late and got annexed by Burgundy. Nice work. I ended up with a large chunk out of the western portion of Burgundy (and 10 war exhaustion, which is why I had to cut my campaign a bit short).

Lately I've been picking off some weaker powers here and there, gearing up for an eventual showdown with Great Britain. I think one big war against them and then one against Bohemia, and my dominance is pretty secure.
    Last edited by Hanacker; 01-30-2010 at 06:33 PM.

New Romantic
    Holy crap. I started to read the manual for the Magna Mundi mod, and that thing is longer than the manual for the base game. And way more complicated. I'd love to try it when the HTTT version comes out in February but it almost sounds like it will be biting off more than I'd be able to chew.

Mad Chester
    There's a new beta patch out as at the end of March. I noticed this gem in the changelog:

- There is now less strength damage in naval battles.
    - Naval damage now do affects morale on other ships.
    - A defeated navy will now retreat to the closest port.
    - Navies retreating no longer gain morale.
    Anyone tried naval combat post-patch?

Hustle
    Speaking of Naval Combat, does anyone have any advice on dealing with pirates? I'm in the mid 1500s with a number of New World colonies and the pirate spam is just horrible. I tried setting up a couple of small patrol routes, except that I would keep forgetting to send them back to port for repairs every six months or so.

Unless they changed something, pirates can't spawn for a while after a zone has been patrolled, so just set up several patrols of frigate class ships. As long as you stay in your territorial waters it shouldn't be necessary to repair them due to attrition.

Mad Chester
    Well, I patched the game last night and messed around with my old GB saved game. Naval combat definitely seems to be improved -- ie less lethal -- now. Also, in the small fleet (IIRC 6-7 or fewer ships per side) actions I fought, my outnumbered but moderately higher-tech Royal Navy forces seemed able to more than hold their own against the Southeast Asian minors, but I don't know if it was that way pre-patch as well.

Mad Chester
    Here's another beta patch.

- Fixed an infinite loop bug in the new country name code
    - Increased the size of the Québec province text
    - The Oirat Horde provinces are now Buddhist to match the state religion
    - Adjusted some HRE reform event modifiers to make more sense, and corrected use of the "badboy" trigger.
    - Now possible to annex countries of greater size than 1. If you can vassalize them, you can annex them as well, but you always need to occupy their whole territory.
    - The HRE can no longer be forcibly disbanded once it is hereditary.
    - Adjusted the Free Subject policy in the history of certain countries, and increased the max slider limit to 2
    - Badboy is now a bigger impact on imperial elections.
    - Supply range is now properly checked for when the AtSea counter is increased for navies.
    - Interests are now set every month for bankloans.
    - It is now much cheaper to send spies to a country with high badboy.
    - Selected countries now gets a black stripe in the lobby.
    - Reworked sow discontent, it will now increase stability costs and revoltrisk for a year instead.
    - Mercenaries are now more expensive when badboy goes up.
    - There is now a penalty for occupying other parts of the empire that is not your core.
    - Its only possible to join cores into the empire now.
    - Added a few random events for super badboys.
    - Reenabled the country overview, and tech levels overview ledgerpages in multiplayer, since 90% of that data could be found anyway by anyone with a pen+paper.
    - Changed income column in the ledger to show a full years income (direct taxes + 12 monthly) instead of just monthly.
    Emphasis mine, as these look like the most significant changes at first glance.

ETA - Has anyone noticed that, as of a couple of beta patches ago, the names of sufficiently large countries will now be "printed" on the world map, curved and angled just right so as to fit within the borders? I love that bit of polish.
    Last edited by Mind Elemental; 04-16-2010 at 04:18 AM.

New Romantic
    I like that they tried to make the bank interest advisor actually useful (the implementation may not be super-realistic, but whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Citiznmatt View Post
    Speaking of Naval Combat, does anyone have any advice on dealing with pirates? I'm in the mid 1500s with a number of New World colonies and the pirate spam is just horrible. I tried setting up a couple of small patrol routes, except that I would keep forgetting to send them back to port for repairs every six months or so.
    The easiest way is to park a light ship in ports so that every sea zone you control has one ship in an adjacent port. The ships don't actually need to be in the water to patrol adjacent sea zones. This also has the benefit of not endangering your ships should you get war-decced.

Hustle
    I like that they tried to make the bank interest advisor actually useful (the implementation may not be super-realistic, but whatever).

The easiest way is to park a light ship in ports so that every sea zone you control has one ship in an adjacent port. The ships don't actually need to be in the water to patrol adjacent sea zones. This also has the benefit of not endangering your ships should you get war-decced.
    Brilliant. I'll try that this weekend.

Social Worker
    A new patch was just what I needed to get pulled back into EU3 I think...

Hustle
    Woah..annexation of non OPMs? That's pretty major. I'm not sure if I like it either, anyone played and tried it yet? How much more of a BB hit than OPM annexation?

Mad Chester
    Another beta patch is out (29th of April - just noticed it on a visit to the Tech Support forum). It looks like the changes focus on the HRE.

- Fixed a bug that cause countrynames to go wild under certain circumstances
    - Strategic/Diplo AI: Will no longer view the Infamy limit as the "max acceptable" Infamy, but a much lower figure, depending on aggressiveness settings and personality
    - Diplo AI: HRE members will not take non-core (or mission target) provinces from other HRE members.
    - Added an "on action" event (950). When HRE members take HRE provinces from outside countries in peace, they get cores on them.
    - Implemented jdrou's latest fixpack (4)
    - Imperial Occupation Penalty is now only applied if you actually own the province.
    - Added a 'hre_size = <num>' trigger for checking how many members hre has.
    - It is no longer possible to leave the empire if you are at war.
    - Its no longer possible to build ships with the rightclick menu if you are not allowed to.
    - If a province has picked tradegoods once, and is back at unknown, it will now get
    - Fixed a few triggers that allowed impassable provinces to be viewed as empty.
    - The AI will now ignore "make elector vote for us"-missions.
    - Alot of beneficiary events are now more likely to happen for members of the HRE if hre is big, OR if you have no badboy.
    - Being a member of the HRE now has a nice static bonus to diplomatic skill, badboy reduction, prestige and cultural tradition.
    - When there is 25 members of the HRE, every member gets a nice bonus to tech costs, stability costs, manpower and revolt risk.

Social Worker
    Really been enjoying this with HttT and all the patches. The last beta patch felt pretty stable, and it was interesting as Russia to be able to annex several of the 3-province minors you start adjacent to (not that that stopped the Golden Horde from kicking my ass).

Neo Acoustic
    Where can I download these patches?

EU3 tech support forum, which requires registration of your game on the Paradox forums.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgimp View Post
    EU3 tech support forum, which requires registration of your game on the Paradox forums.
    do these beta patches work with the steam version? I notice they seem to release a lot of beta patches but no final patches, but none make it to steam at all

New Romantic
    Yeah, but you have to install the beta patches manually.

Mad Chester
    Here's a question to those of you who've played all the way to the 1800s: how well does EU3 convey the sense that the modern world is dawning?

Obviously, EU3 does a fantastic job of conveying a sense of the rise and fall of empires over history. Borders change, ambitious kings will consolidate dozens of squabbling princedoms only for them to fall apart again in civil war, and the Europeans slowly spread across the globe, overrunning natives as they go. That stands in contrast to most 4X games (think Civilization or Total War), in which the big boys will just snowball as the game progresses.

But history is so much more than lines on a map. Here I am thinking, of all things, of Empire: Total War (with the Darthmod Ultimate Commander, if that changes anything). Empire really did give me a feel for the Enlightenment, the rise of new doctrines with clear effects (research faster, rake in more $$$, but make your people unhappier now that they can imagine better lives for themselves), the concrete steps towards the Industrial Revolution with the invention of a steam-engine or the spinning mule, and even those little pop-ups telling me about the development of something we take for granted nowadays, such as the thermometer or the fire brigade.

Now, compare EU3, where you have to imagine what it means to be at "Trade 31" versus "Trade 32" , and where the development of the modern state simply shows up in a maximum Centralisation score and a greater number of magistrates...

But! I've never got past the mid-1600s (after starting in the 1399-1500 range). I always have the most fun in the first 50-100 years of a campaign, when I have to desperately scramble to keep the cash coming in, the inflation down, the million and one rebels under control, and ohnothebigblueblobiscomingmywayHELP! So I could well be wrong, as I'm not comparing apples (the 1700s) with apples.

What do you guys think?

Hustle
    I've played two games up to 1821 (or whatever the end date is, can't recall), and never have gotten a sense that something on the scales is about to tip. Though to be fair, that's more something that Paradox set out to do with Vicky rather than EU3, since the former is actually set smack dab in the middle of all that social change. Since EU3 doesn't go down to the "POP" level and model individual sentiments changing over time, it's hard to get a sense of the major changes over the decades, especially in the 1800s when so much was going on socially. There were of course more macro aspects to that, but since the main driver was all at the individual level Vicky does a much better job of showcasing exactly how pivotal that century was. The best EU3 can do is loosely model the Industrial Revolution, and that's only really present in National Ideas and new sorts of buildable units.

As Mitya says, I think that's more the realm of Victoria 2. That being said, the game has a very different "feel" at the end game as it does early on. I get the distinct feeling at the end of the game that I have entered a period of near absolute European dominance (although this grows gradually over the course of the entire game).

I think that's everything with the game, though, it's incremental. You don't feel a leap between Trade 31 and 32, but by the 1800s as a European power you have tons of national ideas, top of the line techs across the board, access to all the various buildings, improvements, and end-of-game ideas (that were introduced in Napolean's Ambition I think, and are very powerful) that simply has you in a completely different class than anyone who hasn't westernized.

Whereas up to 1700 or so as a European power, the way I play I find myself more involved with what's going on in Europe. From there going forward, though, I always seem to be looking outward. Colonizing the New World, Africa, the East Indies, or plundering the Ming... by that stage of the game, European progress has started to so far outpace others, that is where I feel I'm playing in a very different age.

Bad Girl
    with the great sale over on steam I finally gave in and purchased EU 3 & Heir

Then I opened the game and found myself intimidated.

Anyone have any recommendations for wiki's/guides or even country selections to ease someone new to the series (someone who does not know their history well enough to know what Englands strengths are offhand).

I'm willing to download and read the manual if that's best way, but I've been burned by obtuse unhelpful manuals before...
    Last edited by Mehakoi; 01-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.