Brutal Legend has seven battlefields with an extra two released as DLC. Each battlefield is symmetrical with stages on either end and fan geysers in between.
- The objective of every battle is to destroy your opponent's stage while protecting your own.
- Stages are the source of your recruits and where your fans collect.
- Upgrade your stage to move up a tier and unlock more powerful units and solos.
- Stage health is represented by orange spotlights. Each spotlight is 10% health.
- Ironheade's spotlights are on Ormegoden's tusks pointing down
- Drowning Doom's spotlights are along the front edge pointing down
- Tainted Coil's spotlights are in the center of the stage pointing up
- You can double team with your stage for defensive abilities
- Fog will heal and buff your units close to the stage
- Heal will heal the stage 10% for 200 fans
- Speakers will knockback nearby units on either side
- White spotlights are aimed turrets at the top of the stage. Spotlights blasts can be charged by holding down the attack button.
- At the start of the map fan geysers near the stage are claimed.
- Geysers further out are protected by fan leeches.
- Avatars cannot remove fan leeches, only army units.
- Double Team attacks are effective at removing fan leeches.
- Claim green neutral fan geysers by playing the fan tribute solo nearby.
- Contested fan geysers are red.
- Any enemy unit (except for the avatar) near a fan geyser will contest it.
- The merch booth structure on a claimed geyser must be destroyed before it can be reclaimed.
- Merch booths send pulses of fans to the stage on a regular basis with the rate depending on the map.
- Spend fans. There is no benefit to hoarding fans.
- Recruit more units
- Upgrade your stage
- Upgrade your Tier 1 units (IH, DD only)
- Each unit has a fan cost and a stage load cost. All costs are paid up front.
- Stage load limit is 40 and cannot be changed.
- Increase the rate of fans by claiming more fan geysers.
- Ironheade and Drowning Doom can only recruit one unit at a time from the stage.
- Tainted Coil can recruit units at every Battle Nun, Warfather, and Overblesser.
- In general units are defined as infantry or vehicle
- Some units do more damage against a particular type: infantry, vehicle, or structure
- If a unit is strong against a particular type it is weak against other types.
- Units also attack via ranged weapons or melee.
- Melee units must be next to an enemy unit to do damage
- Ranged units must be in range and line of sight to do damage
- All tier 1 Ironheade and Drowning Doom units can be upgraded for increased health and damage.
- Tainted Coil can recruit divine and superior units.
- A Warfather can recruit a superior Battle Nun.
- An Overblesser can recruit a superior Warfather or Battle Nun.
- A superior Warfather can recruit a divine Battle Nun.
- Superior Warfathers and Battle Nuns recruit superior units.
- Divine Battle Nuns recruit divine units.