Thread: Planetside 2?

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Houngan View Post
    On Indar we had a Lightning storm, from 50-100 vehicles roaming the map in a pack. If it wasn't for the extremely slow facility capture it would have been a continent-taking event.
    lol that's great. Reminds of me beta when we massed 12 or so Sunderers and charged them en masse into the Crown's tower. It was too many Sundy's for the defenders to blow up before most of them got into the tower, then all the troops got out, game over.

How To Go
    I get an AppCrash with win7 every time I exit this game.

I messed around for half an hour last night. During that time, the server crashed once, explodable objects were not exploding and I couldn't warp away from Amerish to Indar or Esimar to meet up with the squad.

It wasn't a very entertaining experience.

I like the idea of the game. But I've not been lucky with the limited time I've got to play it. If this keeps up, I'll probably lose interest and be distracted by the next shiny thing.

No crash whatsoever on exiting the game (running Win 7) here.

Wendelius

Spinning Toe
    I have had it with this game so many issues :-

Lag all the time, my screen tends to start flashing white during peak times (no its not anything over heating - soe forums have a 15 page post on it)

Crashes when i logoff the game
    Sometimes the soe launch-pad has no play button

My server is down a LOT, like 3-4 hours EVERY night during the uk primetime.

Grenades all over the place flashing red - but never go off

I can see missile trails permenantly in the sky.

Can see dead aircraft just hovering in the sky that i can taget, but not really there

Ghost soldiers running around.

Destroyed items are not being removed, so i cna see about 50 sunderers and pods, causing my fps to tank from a solid 60 to about 5-10 max.

It was fun for a while, and it was free after all, but i wont be playing anymore.

Social Worker
    I am enjoying it, I have joined a US server as well and it seems to have less issues than the EU ones but there issues with the game as mentioned above.

For me it seems very hit and miss, sometimes it's great fun and other times totally crap.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman| Unlike what necrodemonologist will told you, zombification is not eternal life
    Miller has crashed a few times, when temporary objects failed to get removed, resulting in the server overloading.

This has happened too in Matherson and Connery*, but for whatever reason Miller has ben hit more. I think some of these crashes have created small rollbacks, too.

The hardware or the configuration quality of the european server is probably worse than the USA one.

My matherson character is already BR9, and I only play it when Miller is down. My experience playing in matherson is good and different than Miller:
    - People is much more talkative, in chat and voip. I liek this.
    - Zerg are dense, is like there are much more people everywhere, and since spread out a bit, you get large infantry battles. I like this too.

I put all my cert points in vehicles in Miller, and I am goint to put cert point on infantry on matherson.

I like the combination semi-auto shotgun + medic. Since you kill most people in two shots, and you can heal after every encounter. This way you can kill 4 or 5 enemies before you have bad luck and somebody attack you from behind, our you have bad aim. I can also scout areas, finding good places to flank the enemy, with great success. The average player have "tunnel vision" and If you flank a group of infantry you can usually make 3 kills before they even notice you.

I usually kill people with the knife often, since it save ammo and feel like a small achievement. I even killed a buster max with a knife (it took long, very long), after getting out of ammo with a LA.

postdata:
    It seems Waterson and Woodman had this problem too.
    Last edited by Teiman; 11-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Spinning Toe
    I didn't get to play yesterday, but I've yet to see any of these issues on Matherson. Just got out of a two hour session and everything was working like it should, no lag, no issues. Hopefully SOE works all all the issues that people are having because there is nothing even close to this game, fps wise, when everything is clicking.

Social Worker
    One of these days, now that there are a decent number of people in the outfit, I'm curious if it would be possible and, if so, productive to work out a way to use Lightnings as artillery. The 75mm gun seems to have a sufficient volume of fire to give three or four Lightnings bombarding a spot quite a high suppressive effect. The problem is that I'm not sure fighting ever gets static enough to make organized, indirect-fire, spotter-guided artillery useful.

Anyone up for trying sometime?

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
    One of these days, now that there are a decent number of people in the outfit, I'm curious if it would be possible and, if so, productive to work out a way to use Lightnings as artillery. The 75mm gun seems to have a sufficient volume of fire to give three or four Lightnings bombarding a spot quite a high suppressive effect. The problem is that I'm not sure fighting ever gets static enough to make organized, indirect-fire, spotter-guided artillery useful.

Anyone up for trying sometime?
    Sure, I'm all for exploring new meta tactics. I could see this being a total pain in the ass for a vehicle pad. I can go infil, jump in a scythe, and land myself on top of a mountain for spotting, then call out when a target gets on the pad.

Social Worker
    That sounds like a good place for it. Here's the general plan I had in mind:

1) Park the Lightnings somewhere relatively flat with a relatively even horizon.
    2) Drop a squad waypoint on the target.
    3) One Lightning fires three-round bursts to get the elevation down, then gives the number of hash marks over the horizon (or some other easily-aimable landmark) to the other Lightnings.
    4) All the Lightnings aim at the waypoint at the given elevation and let loose, maybe correcting their aim a bit if it's clearly off the battery leader's trajectory.

Getting the elevation down precisely enough seems like it would be the hardest part, and I don't know if battery accuracy would end up good enough to hit something smaller than 'a base' with the 75mm cannon firing full-magazine bursts.

Spinning Toe
    Oddly enough, I upped my graphics to High (except for lighting and shadows, which are medium and low), and the game actually runs smoother...figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMino View Post
    Oddly enough, I upped my graphics to High (except for lighting and shadows, which are medium and low), and the game actually runs smoother...figure that one out.
    That's often the case for me in games. I heard oftentimes the lower settings offload tasks from the GPU onto the CPU, so if your graphics card can handle it, high is better as it leaves system resources for other things.. but maybe that's all just a bunch of crap and a developer can correct me. :) In any case, settings on High run very well for me in PS2 and my computer is a couple years old.

psn: Teikman| Unlike what necrodemonologist will told you, zombification is not eternal life
    HE munition (High Explosive) have a large area of effect. People that like to drive a lightning and use it, combine it with IR vision, and seems a good combo that produce a lot of frags in intense combat.

I personally dislike the lightning because it stucks in geometry way to often, and is very weak, a single missile from a lock-on soldier can get you in trouble.
    The default weapon (3 rounds missile) is low damage and small area of effect, I dunno if people can kill anything with it. By equiping the lightning with armour perfor shells you can create a tank hunter, and thanks of the speed of the hunter, get behind the enemy and harass.

New Romantic
    Pressing Alt-F will show you the FPS and if its using CPU or GPU.

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by instant0 View Post
    Pressing Alt-F will show you the FPS and if its using CPU or GPU.
    Interesting, in my case I don't have a big bottleneck (at least with my actual settings), because sometimes it would say GPU and other CPU.

Hustle
    Lightnings are little death traps, which a light tank should be. Some folks can do well with them (I guess) but I can't -

- they can't shoot on the move at all, very subject to all the bumps in the terrain. Just you try keeping the gun laid on target while you're using that high speed. The Magrider by contrast is pretty stable on the move so shooting the main gun on the go is do-able.

- they get stuck on hilly terrain A LOT.

- Once you stop to fire, you're probably going to get creamed, since that Vanguard or Prowler can track you with its turret. (If you're the enemy, include Magrider, which of course is the turret. It's a driveable turret)

- Lock-on missiles will kill them fast like Teiman said.

They're pretty good for running behind lines and say, camping a spawn room or control point (you can squeeze in around a lot of buildings). But you'll move on quick, because sooner or later someone's going to pop out of the spawn with a lock-on missile launcher or an AV MAX.

I don't drive tanks that often, so when I do I just spawn a Magrider. There's really no downsides to that vehicle, they're just great and I love them to death. Only minor gripe: they're not quite as nimble/quick as they used to, it's gotten a bit harder to magmow than it used to. Was that ever fun!

Neo Acoustic
    One trick I've seen recently is the doorway Sunderer.

There is an option for the Sunderer that lets it penetrate shields (although it uses the same slot as AMS, so you cannot have both).

The trick is wedging the Sunderer halfway into the shield, and then people enter in the back, and exit in the front, and you have a way through for infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Condition View Post
    I don't drive tanks that often, so when I do I just spawn a Magrider. There's really no downsides to that vehicle, they're just great and I love them to death. Only minor gripe: they're not quite as nimble/quick as they used to, it's gotten a bit harder to magmow than it used to. Was that ever fun!
    I play TR so I'm not lucky enough to have access to that beast, but I do OK in lightnings. I view them as support armor or fast attack vehicles. I've gotten pretty mean at driveby strafing using the default 75mm cannon (the one that fires 6 rounds per reload) and the AA, while not as good as the MAX flak IMO, is great when combined with the Lightning's mobility. I've unlocked the HE rounds but haven't tried it much yet... the explosion radius is glorious but I could only see myself using it as support within an armored column, otherwise the Lightning is just too quick/fragile for me to stop and get precision shots often enough.

This is very impressive technically but it seemed kind of formless to me.

This happens to me a lot:

Round the corner in a base, go down, hear about 3 pew-pews. The audio and visual is probably simultaneous in reality but it doesn't feel that way.

I'm not sure if I'm just slow, but I will say that from walking around with full health to down on the ground dead is less than a second, probably about a half a second. Am I being one-shotted? I can never take people down that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by arrendek View Post
    This happens to me a lot:

Round the corner in a base, go down, hear about 3 pew-pews. The audio and visual is probably simultaneous in reality but it doesn't feel that way.

I'm not sure if I'm just slow, but I will say that from walking around with full health to down on the ground dead is less than a second, probably about a half a second. Am I being one-shotted? I can never take people down that fast.
    What does the kill screen say? It shows you who got the kill and who else did damage that contributed. Also, upgraded weapons/ammo hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
    What does the kill screen say? It shows you who got the kill and who else did damage that contributed. Also, upgraded weapons/ammo hurt.
    Usually it has some dope's picture with some stupid looking skull mask, then some weapon I don't know (I don't keep track of weapon names for the various factions) and they got me 100%.

New Romantic
    Ugh, this is brutal for new players. Basically, boot up the game, get hot-dropped into a fight, die as soon as you hit the ground. This game desperately needs a tutorial.

Broad Band
    Good times tonight....despite the Sunderer tracks up my back ;)

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    Good times tonight....despite the Sunderer tracks up my back ;)
    Well, I have to get some kills after all!

Hustle
    I've discovered the joy that is the underbarrel grenade launcher for light assault. So awesome.

I have unlocked AT mines for the engineer. I think are useless as actual mines, because uses a resource, and are expensive and you can only lay two (the tinyest minefield ever). But are OP on other purpose: you can rush to a vehicle, and put two on him, after this point the vehicle is guarranted to explode. This combined with the very bad IFF of the game is awesome. Yestarday I managed to destroy 8 important sunderers, that where used to spawn a zerg. What I did whas to aproximate from a flank, I runned directly to the sunder, and planted the two mines. Bang!, sunder destroyed.
    The bad IFF is because most people have poor framerate, are new to the game, and sort of expect to find enemies in the frontlines: you can walk trought enemies, and most of them will ignore you, if you don't shot... I imagine how frustrating has to be for the sunder driver to have 20+ players around the sunder, and nobody stoped the solitary ninja engineer from planting the mines.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by arrendek View Post
    Usually it has some dope's picture with some stupid looking skull mask, then some weapon I don't know (I don't keep track of weapon names for the various factions) and they got me 100%.
    Yeah, most probably someone who was a) in the beta, b) is a Premium member, and c) has spent certs/spacebucks on upgrades so that he's a lot more powerful than the average grunt. Plus, if you haven't spent the handful of certs to get some nano mesh armor at least, to boost your health, you're going to be a bit squishier too.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    you can walk trought enemies, and most of them will ignore you, if you don't shot... I imagine how frustrating has to be for the sunder driver to have 20+ players around the sunder, and nobody stoped the solitary ninja engineer from planting the mines.

Good times.

Very true, I've sometimes gone solo rogue and stalked an enemy base. I've literally bumped into someone in a doorway during a reload and we both sat there for a few seconds, then I hosed him to death.

New Romantic
    What is the "resource" I'm spending on grenades? Is this a resource that is constantly regenerating, or do I have a finite amount and will eventually have to pay real cash to replenish it?