Thread: Planetside 2?

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
    Worked for me. I'm in UK. I downloaded the game on Steam and logged in with my old SOE account. And I'm playing on a East Coast server where some of my friends are. No issues at all.

And, by the way, as a raw newbie, I feel totally lost in this game. Only thing I'm good at is finding many ways to die. :-)

Wendelius
    Apparently it's only an issue if you create a new SOE account. But the Steam forums have a workaround for the issue, a bit of file deletion and editing of a config file fixed it for me.

Alas, my PC can't really deal with the game, so it's not to be. :(

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuwadza View Post
    I had to turn down a lot of settings to get consistently decent performance. Even medium setting across the board were pretty bad for me on a 6870, E8500, 4GB RAM.
    Edit your option ini file, turn shadows to 0, yea game does not look that great but it sure runs much better

Goodluck!!
    Think I've had it with free to play games. I'd rather just pay once for the whole game and not be nickel and dimed for every gun and vehicle. I uninstalled it and started up a game of quake wars. Felt much better....after I fixed stupid punk buster from kicking me every two minutes that is....Sigh....

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    Well, but you can buy better weapons and gear and XP boosts, right? What's the difference?
    Try looking at the stats of the weapons. In generel, they are sidegrades and not updates. Its the entire design philposophy behind the game. Real upgrades are through certs

Quote Originally Posted by Zuwadza View Post
    I had to turn down a lot of settings to get consistently decent performance. Even medium setting across the board were pretty bad for me on a 6870, E8500, 4GB RAM.
    You need more cpu for this game, the rest is ok.

New Romantic
    A very nice Developer post I thought was good to share:

I want to make this crystal clear.

We aren't done optimizing. We have tons of optimizations in the works, and a team of guys working on them.

We meet about them every day, sometimes multiple times a day. We review what you're saying.

As long as the frame rate is low, none of us are going to rest easy.

I personally have a system that I play on that is only getting 25fps in fights, and I refuse to upgrade the hardware... so this effects MY personal K/D ratio.

So any rumor that we don't care about a particular type of hardware, or aren't optimizing... squish it.

There is no conspiracy, and no rest. We simply have a lot of work to do.

If you hear someone saying it's easy, have them show you their game with hundreds of people and dozens of vehicles within a single 100 meter firefight. I'd happily accept their advice. *grin*

Tell them to ask someone who was in the original tech test how frame rate has advanced since then. That was a few months ago.

If frame rates are just too low, check back later. We'll still be kickin and frame rate will be higher.

For the rest of you, thanks as always for your patience and Keep the Faith.
    personally, I'm very impressed with their engine. I mean, many of us remember the promises and the reality of Warhammer online - This is even bigger with more people and it actually works!

Hustle
    lol it's 4:30 am here on the East Coast and I can't log in due to the dreaded G37 error which apparently means the servers are overloaded?

Mad Chester
    They took the servers down for a small patch. I don't think they're back up yet.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Exactive View Post
    Think I've had it with free to play games. I'd rather just pay once for the whole game and not be nickel and dimed for every gun and vehicle. I uninstalled it and started up a game of quake wars. Felt much better....after I fixed stupid punk buster from kicking me every two minutes that is....Sigh....
    You can earn everything in the game just by playing.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    No one has as many friends as a man with many cheeses!
    Its possible to reduce the render distance (in UserOptions.ini or similar), and this may produce a huge bost in framerate. The default is something like 99999999999 and a practical value can be 2000. Some people argue that more than 2000 is useless, since the netcode already impose a limit view distance of 2000. This people say that the game is tryiing to render all the map all the time...I have not confirmed it myself.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    Its possible to reduce the render distance (in UserOptions.ini or similar), and this may produce a huge bost in framerate. The default is something like 99999999999 and a practical value can be 2000. Some people argue that more than 2000 is useless, since the netcode already impose a limit view distance of 2000. This people say that the game is tryiing to render all the map all the time...I have not confirmed it myself.
    Under UserOptions.ini/Rendering

my default says:

RenderDistance=-1.000000

EDIT: this is with the default setting the game picked...I just got in installed last night and tooled around a little. Haven't messed with any in game settings yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exactive View Post
    How much was Quake Wars (terrible game, btw) when it released, $40? $50? Go spend $50 on Station Cash. Buy a bunch of weapons that you'd like. You now have tons of weapons to play with, especially considering you already have access to each class, every vehicle, etc. Unlock the rest like you would any other modern day shooter.

I have friends who haven't dropped a dime on the game and they're having a ton of fun. I put down $20 or so and am just unlocking the rest through Certification points. This is way more than a $20 game to me, so that's a steal in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I have friends who haven't dropped a dime on the game and they're having a ton of fun. I put down $20 or so and am just unlocking the rest through Certification points. This is way more than a $20 game to me, so that's a steal in my book.
    In my 3 hours of play so far I think I've earned somewhere around 15 points. Is there some secret to increasing the rate of Cert points...other than improving my FPS skill, I mean? I enjoy playing FPS's, but I don't think getting better at them is on the cards at my age.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    In my 3 hours of play so far I think I've earned somewhere around 15 points. Is there some secret to increasing the rate of Cert points...other than improving my FPS skill, I mean? I enjoy playing FPS's, but I don't think getting better at them is on the cards at my age.
    This. I have about four hours and something like 12 points. I am terrible at FPS's and have no idea what's going on. I do who to shoot and not to shoot though, which is seemingly better than 75% of everyone else I meet. (I think I've been team killed about infinity times in those four hours.)

It looks like one hell of a grind even if you do pay.

Hustle
    12 points in 4 hours seems really low. Have you captured any of the large bases? Doing that alone should get you 4 points.

The best points for me is in a magrider with the anti-infantry gun. Find where the big zerg v zerg fight is happening and I can get a ton of kills with it.

I also love doing light assault and trying to get behind/above the enemy.

Aircraft are horrible for points unless you're good imo. And I'm not.

Broad Band
    The key to racking up points, as I understand it, is to place yourself in a base battle and gaining the points for capture. Try to hook up with an outfit and you should get points much faster.

Goodluck!!
    How much was Quake Wars (terrible game, btw) when it released, $40? $50? Go spend $50 on Station Cash. Buy a bunch of weapons that you'd like. You now have tons of weapons to play with, especially considering you already have access to each class, every vehicle, etc. Unlock the rest like you would any other modern day shooter.

I hear ya, I guess I just miss the old days where you plunk down some money once and play the entire game forever. Even most DLC these days seems to be designed from the beginning of the game development cycle to extract a constant stream of money from you over time (they don't even hide it anymore with these nefarious season passes)...Oh well.... You're right that at least with Planetside 2 you don't have to pay the 50.00 up front and then pay a lot more over time (ala BF3)

Social Worker
    I spent 3 hours trying to get my full squad to follow objectives and orders, unfortunately only about 4 of them did so, so we lost base after base to uncoordinated snafu.

That we are able to stand inside each other is creating a lot of problems, because people cluster up. If there was no room to stand, they'd have to move.

Spinning Toe
    The scope of this game is absolutely amazing. When I played Infantry Online back in the day, I used to fantasize how it would look and play in 3D, and my dreams pretty much looked like this. We really live in the future.

Regarding certs, I played for 3 hours and got 30. I spent a lot of time running around behind enemy lines sabotaging generators and stations. That seems to give good XP, but no idea about certs.

Hustle
    I spent some of my Alpha Squad sony cash on the new Lasher. It's no longer broken - it's pretty effective if you use it right. Like camping an enemy sunderer and cutting loose when a big group spawns in.

Social Worker
    Once you get this game going (setting up res and graphical details for your pc) the game is great. I realized this when I was a sole defender in a tank at some little outpost. i repeatedly pushed back a few players trying to take it over... darting in and out between buildings with tank and healing as engineer. almost hour later an armada of republic red come in and completely destroy me. It was amazing to see a ton of soldiers pour out of a few apc's to take out lil ol me! AND they had air support. so cool to think I was such a bother (or maybe because I was inbetween the next target)!

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    12 points in 4 hours seems really low.
    This is not an exaggeration. I think I got like a total of 80 points in 5 hours with 3 players (testing different factions before settling down). At first I was kinda annoyed... but this IS free to play. Even with the crappy starting stuff you can do pretty well, you can play any class and fly or drive anything.

But it is pretty blatant that you're gonna have to fork over some cash for the bettwe stuff, something like 10 bux for a good weapon... or my guess a weeks dedicated play to unlock that weapon (and thats if you know what you're doing!)

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by mtkafka View Post
    This is not an exaggeration. I think I got like a total of 80 points in 5 hours with 3 players (testing different factions before settling down). At first I was kinda annoyed... but this IS free to play. Even with the crappy starting stuff you can do pretty well, you can play any class and fly or drive anything.

But it is pretty blatant that you're gonna have to fork over some cash for the bettwe stuff, something like 10 bux for a good weapon... or my guess a weeks dedicated play to unlock that weapon (and thats if you know what you're doing!)
    Its not the weapons that are better actually - Its the extras like scopes, different ammo, UV light and the like that CANNOT be bought with money but only Certs.

I think some vehicles can get other stuff like rockets that may be better, but infantry combat is skill based, and most certainly not based on who has the biggest gun. And Certifications of course that makes you a better soldier.

Good Shape
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinj View Post
    When I have FPS being displayed, does the [CPU] mean the frame rate is being CPU limited?
    That is, in fact, exactly what it means. I'm pretty much consistently GPU limited, which is actually comforting in a bizarre sort of way.

Spinning Toe
    I haven't been present at a successful large base flip. That probably doesn't help. All my points have come from shooting people in the back.

Damn, I could swear I had a better fps two months ago in the beta. :(

To those wanting more certs I'd recommend Engineer. Drop ammo packs and repair MAX and vehicles and the certs will come in at a good clip (I earned about 250 this morning before Thanksgiving dinner.

New Romantic
    To those wanting more certs I'd recommend Engineer. Drop ammo packs and repair MAX and vehicles and the certs will come in at a good clip (I earned about 250 this morning before Thanksgiving dinner.
    wow- thats crazy. I thought I earned good certs today as an engineer (It's what I was in the real army, so its always fun to be in games!) and I made about 25!

Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    wow- thats crazy. I thought I earned good certs today as an engineer (It's what I was in the real army, so its always fun to be in games!) and I made about 25!
    To be fair I had a very successful run of facility captures. Point being that engineer is a great class that is very helpful and can wrack up points without requiring l33t FPS skills. I earn far more with them than even medics and they're a ton of fun to boot! :)

Social Worker
    Hardly any engineers around. Shame I s pent so many points in medic and squad leader already. Spawn beacon is awesome. Shame that I need to invite people to get it going (i.e. I never get to be the leader of those random groups that appear)