Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Aion Released!

Social Worker
    Madison, Wisconsin Gamertag: Two Nine Actual
    Quote Originally Posted by skyride View Post
    Those public channels are horrible with or without gold spammers. The game is full of immature kids. I turned all of them off. I still get the goldspam whispers but so far it's still at a tolerable frequency.
    Yes. The very first thing I did in the game was turn off all the public channels. Channel three is the Looking For Group channel, and I turn it on only when I need to finish group quests. When I get a group, I immediately turn it off.

Aion chat channels are the worst I've ever seen, and I've been around the block a few times. It's awe-inspiringly, weep-for-humanity bad. Every tenth line is a gold spammer. (In addition to the gold spam /whispers you get every couple minutes.) Every fourth line is some idiot trolling or someone taking the bait. Nine out of ten lines are written in AoL chat shorthand. I had the LFG channel on for about fifteen minutes the other day and witnessed three distinct arguments over WoW being the first MMORPG.

I like the game and am having a good enough time playing it, but there's a lot not to like. It appears that NCSoft doesn't really give a shit about that.

Account closed Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Athryn View Post
    Wow was almost that bad at some points, until the initiated all of their anti-spam measures. It's taken them 5 years to get to a mostly spam-free gaming experience, but you do still see creative attempts by goldspammers.
    No, it was never like that on any of the WoW servers I played since Day 1. Don't get me wrong, it got bad. I remember the bots spamming their gambling games in Ironforge. I remember the times where you'd get messaged every couple of hours about buying gold. I remember the times that you'd see someone hawking gold in Org (well, they still do that). I even had my account hacked by a gold farmer. But it was never more than a minor nuisance (except for the account hacking, but that was my fault for letting Curse update my mods automatically).

But nothing like that screenie. Ever. Not even close.

Then again, I think gold-selling is a much bigger business today than it was when WoW first came out. At least in WoW, I wonder who buys gold? It's not hard to come by gold and what the heck do you spend it on anyway? Seriously, all the good stuff you get through badges/tokens/rep, not by buying it.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
    At least in WoW, I wonder who buys gold? It's not hard to come by gold and what the heck do you spend it on anyway? Seriously, all the good stuff you get through badges/tokens/rep, not by buying it.
    I have when I've hopped servers, buying a couple hundred gold so you can get some decent twink gear off the AH helps a ton with the levelling. I have when, say, I need several thousand gold to get an epic flying mount and Cold Weather Flying or whatever.

I used to be hardline, Buying-Gold-Is-Cheating, even angered by it. Then I realized I'd rather spend twenty bucks than spend hours doing shit that I hate doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Altmann View Post
    I have when I've hopped servers, buying a couple hundred gold so you can get some decent twink gear off the AH helps a ton with the levelling. I have when, say, I need several thousand gold to get an epic flying mount and Cold Weather Flying or whatever.

I used to be hardline, Buying-Gold-Is-Cheating, even angered by it. Then I realized I'd rather spend twenty bucks than spend hours doing shit that I hate doing.
    Hmmm...

I guess I've just been playing so long that I don't have a problem getting gold. I spend like a drunken sailor, give all my enchants away and I still have 12k across the 3 main characters I play on that server (and their bank alt). If I tried hard - farmed for stuff and played the AH game - I could probably double that inside of two weeks.

Now I bought and sold stuff back on UO because that was about the only way to get certain things. We used Ebay extensively back then. But on WoW, the only time I was tempted to buy gold was when I was trying to level up my enchanting from level 1. I needed around 1k in materials (this was back when 1k meant you were richer than hell) and just simply didn't have the gold to do it. Instead, I cloth farmed for a while (harpies in Thousand Needles) and got there. I have to say I was tempted but now gold just seems trivial to get.

But we digress...and from what I understand, Aion requires a lot more gold than WoW does. So perhaps in that context I understand why there are so many farmers, bots and so forth.

Account closed New Romantic
    But we digress...and from what I understand, Aion requires a lot more gold than WoW does. So perhaps in that context I understand why there are so many farmers, bots and so forth.
    It apparently costs 121k to raise your crafting / gathering skills from first to second tier. It's a couple tens of thousands, or more, every three levels for skills, the gear market on the AH is already hugely inflated, but you can cope so long as you play it yourself. So far, it seems like a very expensive game to play, yeah.

How To Go
    Yeah roughly that's the cost. The last tier before Expert is around 400k I think (or maybe it's a million), and once you get to 399 you have to go through Expert crafting quests in order to make Expert (which goes up to 449 and right now there's nothing beyond that). The Expert crafting quests are incredibly difficult and rely on chance to craft the proper item (otherwise you're left with the normal item).

BTW there is a fix going in that will restrict whispers from level 5 and below.

--- Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dunkin View Post

--- Alan
    I'm not sure that sounds like a good solution. So I'd log on as a new player and want to message friends...and find I can't do so? Meh...

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dunkin View Post
    --- Alan
    Hshdf better start leveling!

Social Worker
    I'm not sure that sounds like a good solution. So I'd log on as a new player and want to message friends...and find I can't do so? Meh...
    WoW free trials have similar restrictions, and I think they let you whisper if they whisper you first, or you on their friend list or something like that. Doesn't have to be too onerous.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
    WoW free trials have similar restrictions, and I think they let you whisper if they whisper you first, or you on their friend list or something like that. Doesn't have to be too onerous.
    Not whispering on a free trial is much different than not allowing it for a paying customer. Just sayin'.

It seems to me that they should just restrict the number of different players you can whisper in a given time period, at least for low-level toons. That would be far less restrictive and still accomplish the same thing.

How To Go
    My gut feeling is that one method is much easier to implement than the other, though they do say it's a temp solution.

--- Alan

You can also just /anon to avoid all the whispers. I haven't really had much of a problem with them so far.

Goodluck!!
    Is there a server that a lot of QT3ers are playing on? Browsing through this thread it seems pretty haphazard. I'm on the west coast server that starts with a "Y" but I'd be willing to reroll and join an official unofficial legion if one exists.

Wesley Chapel, FL XBL:LivinItUp PSN:LivinItUpInPhx
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
    WAR was pretty rife with spambots for the first month or so. I actually downloaded a user mod that automatically filtered and reported spam because it was so bad. The mod was flawless in detecting it, which made it pretty odd that companies can't do that themselves. WAR did eventually patch in their own spam prevention somehow, so it wasn't much of a problem any more.
    If it's the addon I'm thinking of, I believe it was developed by someone at Mythic and posted as an addon. Once it was "beta tested by the masses" as an addon, it was rolled into the game's code.

Social Worker
    Did they just implement "rest XP" yesterday? I had a 20% bonus.

I spent a little time in Elten (the Elyos 20-?? zone), it was crowded as hell, and there was no way to change channels. I gave up on fighting other people for mobs after about twenty minutes. Kind of a bummer, as I don't see any way around it.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastema View Post
    Is there a server that a lot of QT3ers are playing on? Browsing through this thread it seems pretty haphazard. I'm on the west coast server that starts with a "Y" but I'd be willing to reroll and join an official unofficial legion if one exists.
    Not sure, but there is a GT guild (Lumiel, Elios) and there are several QT3/Wanderers folks in it.

Mad Chester
    Rested XP starts at level 20.

I joined a GWJ legion on Siel,Elios- and we have around 25 so far.

Yeah that 20 Elten Fortress region seems to be where everyone is. I reaced 20 and showed up there, only to find that I had to log off for the day and come back when it wasnt peak play time, for it did have only one channel and five people per mob.

Social Worker
    You can't instance that zone since it's pvp enabled. Overcrowding is really annoying in these zones when trying to complete quests.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Altmann View Post
    Did they just implement "rest XP" yesterday? I had a 20% bonus.

I spent a little time in Elten (the Elyos 20-?? zone), it was crowded as hell, and there was no way to change channels. I gave up on fighting other people for mobs after about twenty minutes. Kind of a bummer, as I don't see any way around it.
    Try Theobomos, it's a 20+ PvE zone. No rifting, so it can have multiple channels.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Try Theobomos, it's a 20+ PvE zone. No rifting, so it can have multiple channels.
    Right on. Thanks.

How To Go

How To Go
    They actually have been since the very start, it's just not something the company actively talks about in most cases. I had drinks the other day with some ex-coworkers and the numbers I heard were pretty massive if credible.

--- Alan

Okay, at level 19, the game really picks up for chanters, and I've finally got a full attack chain, in addition to my ludicrous number of buffs. Just hit the level 20+ zone, doing some random PVP while hunting and leveling - so far, every Pigeon that's had a go at me has been sent home in a bodybag. That +100% damage for 30 seconds DP power is awfully useful when you get jumped in PVP.

World's End Supernova
    No posts for awhile. People still playing? I started a few days ago.

How To Go
    I'm still playing, I just haven't had much time to do much gaming with the new move and all. The guild I'm in on Lumiel is still going strong.
    Last edited by Athryn; 10-12-2009 at 09:32 AM.

The guys from Wanderers and GT are playing quite a bit still. Kato and I are mid 30's now and still having a blast.

I'm still playing, just not in the last couple days. Demon's Souls has lured me away. Damiens the Chanter will be back, though.

Demon's Souls has kept me away from other games too, however the honeymoon with Aion ended pretty quickly for me and am back to Lotro.

I am pretty much prefer PvE with a little PvP now and then, so I think Aion was just a poor fit for my playstyle. Overall though, Aion's PvE is absolutely mind numbing after a while, and trying out alts (played both sides up to the abyss) is just painful due to absolutely no variation.

After playing for less than a month, I submit my one word review of Aion:

KAH-HEAR-GHIN

If I never hear that word again for the rest my life I will die happy.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    After playing for less than a month, I submit my one word review of Aion:

KAH-HEAR-GHIN

If I never hear that word again for the rest my life I will die happy.
    "HAH-JEVIN-PECK!"

Which, roughly translated, means "Shit, that hurt like a sonuvabitch! I'm glad I brought these bandages with me."