Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Goodness. It was a bit good.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    I wonder if the updated PC version will get the improved UI that makes navigation easier on consoles? It's going to be tough deciding between PC and console. But hey, I'm still waiting until I finish the first one, so it'll be a while. Especially since I don't have my save game anymore and have to start over in Witcher 1.

Mad Chester
    I believe the Pc versiOn will still be the best looking one by far + all the mods available
    No brainer to me

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    I believe the Pc versiOn will still be the best looking one by far
    Well, I don't think anyone here thinks the console version will look better ;)

Social Worker
    Wow the new trailer really kicks ass, go Letho!

Looking at the trailer, I am happy I...
    Spoiler: witcher 2 end
    let Letho alive in my first ending.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by TurinTur View Post
    Yep, same here.

That trailer is ten kinds of badass.

Quote Originally Posted by TurinTur View Post
    Ehm, I don't really understand that? As far as I can tell, what this trailer shows is some extra (and very very cool (no pun intended)) cinematics of something that happened before your spoiler? Something that you get told about in the 'old' version, but get to watch now? So it doesn't matter if you do or don't do what your spoiler says, does it?

Spoiler: simple
    1. The trailer shows... again, how cool/badass is Letho (yes, we knew already he killed a previous king, but it's not the same knowing it than seeing it beatifully rendered)
    2. So in a way, it reaffirmed my decision of letting him live.

Edit: never mind: I somehow can't get a spoilerstag working myself (I can quote them, but when I make them they just don't show?), so I can't explain what I want without spoiling, which I don't want to do. Lets just say that I'm glad I decided otherwise at the first ending, and the trailer totally confirms my decision aswell...

I did that as well TurinTur, and I don't regret it for the same reasons you indicated.

Such a fantastic game. I was going to replay it at some point, looks like that point will be April.

Neo Acoustic
    Yeah, I had a play-through about midway through the game that was interrupted by Skyrim 110 game hours ago. I think I'll scrap it and just start over in April.

World's End Supernova
    Spoiler: continued endgame spoiler discussion
    Hey, Letho is a great character, but the only choice for me was to duel. I wasn't thinking about his reasons or personal revenge or anything. It just screamed out as something we needed to do. I've never felt so strongly about an RPG decision, and it had very little to do with the events and characters within the game. It was a personal meta choice to end that story thread as the game was about to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Spoiler: continued endgame spoiler discussion
    Hey, Letho is a great character, but the only choice for me was to duel. I wasn't thinking about his reasons or personal revenge or anything. It just screamed out as something we needed to do. I've never felt so strongly about an RPG decision, and it had very little to do with the events and characters within the game. It was a personal meta choice to end that story thread as the game was about to end.

Yes, I totally agree. I guess it also depends how you play, which questline you choose to follow etc, but for me there wasn't really a choice at the time.

Then again: the fact that other people felt totally different about that choice, is exactly what makes this game so good!

Funky
    Picked this up in the Steam holiday sale. The trolls from act 2 are the greatest :)

For me, it was more a question about who was the biggest bad-ass in town. I was determined to settle that.

So I kited him to death like a pussy.

World's End Supernova
    I laughed. That might be the story of 2011 for me: how well combat held up in the most epic moments of my favorite games of the year. I actually liked the duel, but it had some weak boss fights. Skyrim had awesome dragons that I grinded to death with arrows. Deus Ex obviously had serious problems with bosses. Arkham City improved that big time, but they weren't very memorable. It's a hard problem.

Account closed Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I thought the new cinematic was going to be a little cheesy, but it ends up very satisfying. I love Letho.
    I completely agree. Letho is arguably the best villain in video game history and he completely overshadows Geralt in The Witcher 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INXZTcXSnxk

New dev dairy for the 360 version. "The Beginning"

Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INXZTcXSnxk

New dev dairy for the 360 version. "The Beginning"
    Neat. The 360 version obviously won't look as good as the PC...but the gameplay footage in that still looked great.

World's End Supernova
    It's weird they talk about having to redo the interface and controls. It already looked pretty modern and consolized. Maybe this is just further improvements instead of a complete overhaul.

Some screenshots of the 360 version at Eurogamer. Looking pretty good as far as you can tell from those. No UI shots.

I wish I hadn't done a second playthrough as that would have been the time to see any improvements on the PC side. One enhancement that might work well is the ability to skip to different chapters, for people who want to see the 'other' chapter 2 or an improved ending now.
    Last edited by Alistair; 02-07-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by triggercut View Post
    Neat. The 360 version obviously won't look as good as the PC...but the gameplay footage in that still looked great.
    So far, the stuff they've shown for the 360 version has looked really good. I'm impressed that they've been able to carry it over with what appears to be very little loss of quality.

New Romantic
    Portland, OR GamerTag/GWFL: FreshQu33blets
    I just bought this from Amazon for 15 bucks, and I obviously haven't read this whole thread, but can someone tell me if there's a way to get the Polish voice acting somewhere? Or is it planned for the Enhanced Edition? I really enjoyed being able to play with Polish or German VA with the English subtitles in the Witcher 1 EE. I'm probably not the first person to ask this, I realize, but my Google-fu is weak.

OK, I managed to find the Polish one, but no German so far (boo). Anyway, another question, does the 2.2 patch do anything but provide leaderboard and social network support (which I don't really care about)?
    Last edited by Papageno; 02-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.

I've got a feeling that patch might have been the one where they added an extra tutorial (after everyone died in the first one). Possibly also arena mode, which is mildly amusing for an hour or two once you're done. So recommended, if so.

World's End Supernova
    You might not want to miss the English voice acting with Letho's distinctive and creepy voice.

Social Worker
    So this enhanced version coming, another free patch of an purchased expansion?

Patch 2.0 added the tutorial and arena, not 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesrie View Post
    So this enhanced version coming, another free patch of an purchased expansion?
    Yes. PC version will get the added content that was created for the 360 version of the game.