Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Social Worker
    Arena on easy is extremely easy, on normal it is quite a challenge however.

World's End Supernova
    You're right. It's a satisfying challenge on normal. I got past wave 30 but there's no way I'm going to try to beat it without dying. I'd rather quit now and preserve the nice warm glow I have from my second playthrough of the campaign.

Two things I hate about the arena: the audio mix on the crowd noise (too loud) and the camera shake on waves that have a lot of large monsters. It's annoying.

I discovered something about combat. If Geralt is a short distance from an enemy, we know he'll do a leaping attack. But if he faces left of the enemy, he always does that great multi-hit spinning attack. So you can circle strafe enemies in a clockwise direction, then use that leaping attack to take down most of their health. Afterwards just roll away.

I'm not sure I ever realized that it's Geralt's facing that determines which leaping attack he does. If you face to the right he does a simple jump thrust. The spinning attack is much stronger if you can use it against isolated squishy enemies.

Just tried the arena - what a great idea. Can't believe they have little voiced dialogs for your companions. Did they release that as a separate demo at all?

I was a danger to myself and my friends but struggled on for quite a while. My companions came to dread being selected - Are you sure? How about the dwarf over there?!

Muy bueno.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    REALLY late to the party, I know, but: How many QTEs are in this game? Because the ones in the prologue took me a ridiculously long time to get past, since pressing Y when the button was on the screen didn't save me. I had to basically be a precog and watch a lot of death scenes over and over, because to live I had to be jamming on the button the whole time.

Social Worker
    You can always turn on "Easy QTEs" or whatever the setting is called.

World's End Supernova
    There are a couple more "surprise" ones for boss fights, and one or two where you need to a tap a button quickly.

I had no trouble at all with QTEs set to difficult. Maybe it's an X360 controller issue.

Social Worker
    I finished the game twice with x360 controller and I didn't die in QTE ever...so no idea what is the problem there.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bowyer View Post
    REALLY late to the party, I know, but: How many QTEs are in this game? Because the ones in the prologue took me a ridiculously long time to get past, since pressing Y when the button was on the screen didn't save me. I had to basically be a precog and watch a lot of death scenes over and over, because to live I had to be jamming on the button the whole time.
    Not that many, other than those in the beginning of the game.

Social Worker
    OTOH, QTEs are the laziest, crappiest, least fun bits of game design in history, so I feel Bowyer on this one.

World's End Supernova
    No you don't. They're bad game design but they're quite easy to get past in this game. That's Matt's problem. Something's wrong.

Mad Chester
    The prologue is particularly QTE heavy, QTEs only show up during a small number of boss fights during the rest of the game (yeah, silly design decision) and for fist fighting.

There IS one particularly weird/buggy QTE event in the prologue
    Spoiler: spoler
    almost at the end of the prologue, when you are running on that bridge with the wounded king by your side and the dragon pursuing you. The FIRST QTE works fine but the SECOND one is weird buggy. You have to press the QTE button AND continue moving the character aside/forward

Social Worker
    Flip off the "difficult QTEs" or whatever its called in the options and enjoy the game, thats what I did. The kayran about had me throwing my mouse till I discovered that option. As much fun as "instantly push a button you don't know you need to push till you've died" is, I decided to take a pass.

New Romantic
    I had no idea that setting was there. I will do that. Thank you!

It was confusing. In the prologue, the first QTE popped up, I pressed Y after maybe a second, while the button was still onscreen, but I still got killed in horrific fashion. I don't think I'm taxing the machine too heavily, as my battles are fluid and responsive -- it was just strange.

Social Worker
    I had no idea that setting was there. I will do that. Thank you!

It was confusing. In the prologue, the first QTE popped up, I pressed Y after maybe a second, while the button was still onscreen, but I still got killed in horrific fashion. I don't think I'm taxing the machine too heavily, as my battles are fluid and responsive -- it was just strange.
    Me either till my buddy was all "I turned that shit off early on."

New Romantic
    So, does "easy quicktime events" just do them for me?

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Some are removed altogether I think, which causes weird gaps in some conversation scenes. Others are merely easier, whatever that means. I've only played with easy QTEs so I can only go by hearsay.

Social Worker
    So, does "easy quicktime events" just do them for me?
    It mostly seems to do the annoying ones. You still have to do the "click fast" ones. But anything silly like "PUSH X TO NOT DIE" is done automatically.

New Romantic
    Thanks, guys! That sounds like a huge improvement.

Social Worker
    Quite a bit of news on CD Projekt front (article and video in english):

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,9645...s_and_New.html

New franchise, probably scifi. If CDP makes Deus Ex-like FPSRPG....that would be heavenly.
    I want Witcher 2 expansion and Witcher 3 the most though.

I think people who refer to settings as franchises should be shut in with a roomful of breakable china and Skyrim's physics engine.

I think the Witcher benefits hugely from drawing on a real writer. I hope they don't give that up with a new SF setting.

Social Worker
    Another fantastic interview about DRM, piracy et al with CDProjekt founder:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/29/in...-not-worth-it/

Social Worker
    I love this game!
    Swords. Blood. Killing. Graphics. Decisions. Loot. Crashes. Dialogue. Lore. Women. Nudity. War. Crashes. Economy. Weight. Sneaking. Magic. RPG. Monsters. Crashes.

Right, so I just finished the tutorial (recommended settings - easy). I'm in the first scene and already got annoyed. I'm not sure how to get to the ballista but I don't mind to try a few times. But why on earth didn't they put a save point after the king asks me to open the road to the tower. Why do I have to go through that silly battle and cutscenes again each time.
    Is this indicative to save pints placing later on, because if it is I just wasted 20 Euro.

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Save the game?

World's End Supernova
    I wouldn't be surprised if they missed a few obvious save points during the linear parts. Anyway, you should get into the habit of saving because the rest of the game exists in quasi-open levels where checkpoints don't make sense. I don't remember if there's an automatic save timer, but my guess is no. In general they don't have that level of streamlining and care for every game system, unfortunately

Oh, I looked for the save button during the tutorial and didn't find it so assumed there is no save option.

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Social Worker
    F5 is quicksave too I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    F5 is quicksave too I think.
    You are correct.

On a different topic - is it worth it to play on dark mode? Does it add any new story or gameplay, or does it just ramp up the difficulty and rewards with unique items?

World's End Supernova
    Read my detailed opinion about Dark Mode on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Read my detailed opinion about Dark Mode on the previous page.
    Thanks. I'll stick with hard difficulty.