Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Mad Chester
    That's awesome, I'll go for the other choice if I do a second play through.

Spoiler: Also
    I do hope there's a way to stick it to Henselt, even if I'm helping him. He's not exactly a good person.

It definately seems like there would be, and I wonder how that would play out, or if you'd have the options I had if you went the other way. The game is mind blowing.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Dammit I know they are different genres, but it still seems so unfair that Rage has 85, Crysis 2 86, and Witcher 2 87 on Metacritic. I would rearrange it to Rage 50, Crysis 2 70, Witcher 2 95. Dragon Age 2 50. :)
    There's no rush. More than any other developer, it feels like CDP have so much upward momentum. I can see them getting better in leaps and bounds. They've still got a few things to work on though.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post

I do hope there's a way to stick it to Henselt, even if I'm helping him. He's not exactly a good person.
    Do a second run for that path, the story is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    There's no rush. More than any other developer, it feels like CDP have so much upward momentum. I can see them getting better in leaps and bounds. They've still got a few things to work on though.
    I'm already on the edge of my seat for The Witcher 3. I hope they keep the combat, it's the closest thing to a Demon's Soul's style reward/fail system as I've ever seen on a PC game. It makes me really wish Dark Souls was also on the PC, now that I'm thinking about it.

World's End Supernova
    Yes, those games are the only ones I feel like I'm missing out on from this console generation. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post

Maybe, maybe, you will like then the alternative Act. But you have to play it to confirm it!
    (:P)

edit: ok ok, Tim.
    Last edited by TurinTur; 10-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.

World's End Supernova
    Hey now, we all know "wink wink, you'll see" is just as bad as a spoiler.

I believe a few people died the last time that came up.

World's End Supernova
    Chapter 1 on Dark Mode was some real Euro-hard bullshit at times. There were a couple of spots I had to reload again and again. Of course there's also a lot of running around, mostly free of danger.

I can't say it's forcing me to play better or be more tactical either. I admit I'm not always using traps, bombs, and potions because I'm trying to zip through, but often I feel like I've got a great plan coming together only to be chipped by an enemy and killed. That's not rewarding.

I actually like that enemies have more hitpoints because I can do more with them. I just wish Geralt had more too so I didn't have to kite and keep quen up all the time. As far as builds go, I'm not sure it's even worth trying to take extra vitality or even the backstab reduction. At most I think you'll survive an extra hit or two. Might as well go double or nothing and put those skill points to extra offense.

I'm going down the signs tree this time around. It's given me a greater appreciation for them. I even did one of the major Chapter 1 fights a new way this time:

Spoiler: boss fight spoiler
    I used aard to repeatedly stun Letho, and then I followed up with 3 sword swipes. It was actually more fun than it sounds, and still tricky to pull off without making a mistake. Last time I used extra roll distance and careful anticipation to bait him and prevent him from ever putting quen up. That was a great duel.
    I'm still trying to decide if I should bother with the powergaming build using Impregnate. I don't know how useful mutagens are for a signs build. And again I don't necessarily want to kill enemies faster. I want to toy with them.

Account closed Social Worker
    Just got done. There's a lot to like here and I'll probably play through it again someday. But there's so much that I simply just didn't get. I probably didn't "get" half of it. I could never muster the energy to complete the original and I'm sure that's not helping.

Spoiler: SPOILER QUESTIONS BELOW

I got the main plot and all. I went with the Squirrels, defending Dragon Queen and the like...

What was the whole point of the Wild Hunt / Yennifer thread? It's only barely related to this story in the sense that's how you met Letho, but who cares?

I didn't get the whole "swap souls" explanation in regards to Yennifer. So if Geralt gave his soul for Yen, what does that even mean?

I'm not even sure what the opening sequence means. Is that when Geralt was supposedly stabbed by a pitchfork? If so, again...what does that mean?

Why would the Dragon Queen consider me only a "guest" after everything I did for her? Seems the whole Northern Invasion thing just sets up Witcher 3, but now why should I care?

What happened with Foltest's children? Seems like that was SO important and then...nada.

Again, it was a good game and I enjoyed it, but it was horrendously uneven. Beyond some major stretching of plot points, the game itself just wasn't as well paced as it should have been.

Spoiler: More Plot Spoilers
    Perhaps the hardest battle is in chapter 1 against the Kayran. It's so weird that there's no other battle in the game like it. It's like they decided to go a different way with the boss battles after crafting that one.

For every adult quest, there was a stupidly juvenile LOTRO reference (Radagast, really?) or stupid sex comment/scene (Lesbomancy, really?). Frankly, there were times I'd have been embarrassed if my wife walked in while I was playing.

Act 3 is far too short and disappointing. Run to a town, fight your way in the sewers, listen to an extended cut-scene and battle a dragon. End of Chapter. Compared to 1 & 2, it's a major letdown.

Again, don't assume I didn't like it. I'm just pointing out what I didn't like from a game that I generally enjoyed.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
    Just got done. There's a lot to like here and I'll probably play through it again someday. But there's so much that I simply just didn't get. I probably didn't "get" half of it. I could never muster the energy to complete the original and I'm sure that's not helping.

I got the main plot and all. I went with the Squirrels, defending Dragon Queen and the like...

What was the whole point of the Wild Hunt / Yennifer thread? It's only barely related to this story in the sense that's how you met Letho, but who cares?

I didn't get the whole "swap souls" explanation in regards to Yennifer. So if Geralt gave his soul for Yen, what does that even mean?

I'm not even sure what the opening sequence means. Is that when Geralt was supposedly stabbed by a pitchfork? If so, again...what does that mean?

Why would the Dragon Queen consider me only a "guest" after everything I did for her? Seems the whole Northern Invasion thing just sets up Witcher 3, but now why should I care?

What happened with Foltest's children? Seems like that was SO important and then...nada.
    Spoiler: some explanations, one minor spoiler hint
    Half of that Yennefer / Wild Hunt shit is from the books I think. I don't know much about it myself. You don't need to get it for this game. Just nod along and wait for the third game.

I went Roche's path and Foltest's children were somewhat resolved (kinda sorta), so my guess is Iorveth's path doesn't address that loose end? Someone who's played both will need to comment.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

Again, it was a good game and I enjoyed it, but it was horrendously uneven. Beyond some major stretching of plot points, the game itself just wasn't as well paced as it should have been.
    A few of your questions

Spoiler: Witcher Spoilers re ending and stuff

Foltests children were important when Foltest had Employed you - Their fate is less interesting, once Foltest who was the one keeping you there died. They probably got used by someone else to get to the throne now.

The Wild Hunt Yennifer is something that is talked about in the first game as well, and is from the books as well - You can't very well make a sequel to a roleplaying game with emphasis on great story and then not do followup's on the story, meaning if you havent played the first one, you'll be lost.

Opening sequence is from the first game as well - Its actually the very very first scene from the first game, where you are found by your Witcher Brethren. If you turned on the first game at all, you should have seen it. Speculation goes that its where you escaped from the Wild Hunt.

No idea on the last one though - hope the above helped!

Chapter 1 on Dark Mode was some real Euro-hard bullshit at times.
    Well the Dark Mode is supposed to be that, an special extra hard mode...

Spinning Toe
    Well, I just loaded the game up, since I finally finished Witcher 1. My cpu is still an older dual core (3.0) + 4850 GPU, so my setup is definitely showing its age in this game. I'm due for a gaming box upgrade BUT that's not my question.

My question is with the controls. It seems that the controls are all over the place. Parry with E, use 4 to scroll through (wtf? scroll through?) quickslot buttons. Remember the correct numbers for your signs, etc. It's not that I mind having all these buttons, but more that they seem really unwieldy. Would a gamepad make this UI more user-friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by ceolstan View Post
    Well, I just loaded the game up, since I finally finished Witcher 1. My cpu is still an older dual core (3.0) + 4850 GPU, so my setup is definitely showing its age in this game. I'm due for a gaming box upgrade BUT that's not my question.

My question is with the controls. It seems that the controls are all over the place. Parry with E, use 4 to scroll through (wtf? scroll through?) quickslot buttons. Remember the correct numbers for your signs, etc. It's not that I mind having all these buttons, but more that they seem really unwieldy. Would a gamepad make this UI more user-friendly?
    I never used the keyboard to select a sign or secondary, that's what the CNTRL button is for. I just used WASD to move, Q and R to cast a sign or use an item respectively, and the mouse for camera and attacking.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by ceolstan View Post

Since you played witcher 1, why don't you just remap the controls to the witcher1 setup. You just need to assign one additional key for blocking, one for heavy strikes and one for throwing bombs.

I used wasd for movement, 1-5 for signs, q and e for drawing the swords, middle mouse for block, r for bombs and right mouse for heavy strikes.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
    I never used the keyboard to select a sign or secondary, that's what the CNTRL button is for. I just used WASD to move, Q and R to cast a sign or use an item respectively, and the mouse for camera and attacking.
    yes + CTRL slows things down (think bullet time), which helps when deciding what to do.

I'm still slowly doing a playthrough in Dark Mode, (absolutely no idea how this guy supposedly finished it in 3 hours) and quite enjoying it.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    I'm still slowly doing a playthrough in Dark Mode, (absolutely no idea how this guy supposedly finished it in 3 hours) and quite enjoying it.
    You can watch his playthrough
    http://cs.twitch.tv/aphox/b/296336437

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    You can watch his playthrough
    http://cs.twitch.tv/aphox/b/296336437
    WTF, quen reduces the damage you do? I don't think I knew that. But like he says, later in the game you can't avoid it anyway.

This is why I want to find an expert's guide to combat on YouTube or in an article.

World's End Supernova
    I'm in the heart of Chapter 2 on my second playthrough. It strikes me that if game designers have doomed us to reuse maps all the time, this is the way to do it. Go all in and put vastly different content in them.

It also helps that the content is fantastic. A couple of my favorite lines so far:

Spoiler: Vergen path
    Troll's wife and Triss run off, leaving only the cauldron of soup -
    Troll: Missus run go, redhead then. All gone. (sad) Soup, only stay.

After guiding Dandelion into the succubus lair -
    Geralt: Fucking idiot actually went in there!

How To Go
    WTF, quen reduces the damage you do? I don't think I knew that. But like he says, later in the game you can't avoid it anyway.
    I don't know. I played through on Hard almost entirely without Quen, and only put the bare minimum of points into it to move up the magic tree. I busted it out for end last fight (well, the top of the tower fight). It's big weakness is that it stops your vigor regeneration.

I instead maxed out Fireballing, and that was far and away more powerful, especially once you unlock the Helietrope sign. A few quick blasts, Heliotrope, at which point you could easily generate enough vigor to cast enough signs to put Heliotrope back up indefinitely -- constant Time Slow + unlimited Fireballs at ~+75 damage.

Mad Chester
    I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and I've had to dial down to easy for every boss except for the Kayran.

Sidenote: I'm always disappointed when the new shiny awesome set of armor I find has a hood. Those things look goofy.

How To Go
    It's rough when you start, and I only jumped up to Hard the second time through. Your skill picks also affect the difficulty; I think Magic made for an easier playthrough than Swordsman for example (no idea about Mutation).

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Phillips View Post
    I don't know. I played through on Hard almost entirely without Quen, and only put the bare minimum of points into it to move up the magic tree. I busted it out for end last fight (well, the top of the tower fight). It's big weakness is that it stops your vigor regeneration.

I instead maxed out Fireballing, and that was far and away more powerful, especially once you unlock the Helietrope sign. A few quick blasts, Heliotrope, at which point you could easily generate enough vigor to cast enough signs to put Heliotrope back up indefinitely -- constant Time Slow + unlimited Fireballs at ~+75 damage.
    Even though I'm going with the magic tree, I haven't upgraded Igni. I still enjoy swordfighting too much. Against certain enemies on Dark Mode, that's impossible without quen. Or rather it's extremely frustrating if you make a mistake late in combat.

World's End Supernova
    Heads up for anyone going magic or alchemy on Dark Mode. You'll probably need this god mode cheat during a certain part near the end of Chapter 2. It's most likely almost impossible to proceed without it. There's a save before the boss fight, so just remove it then and reload. It's only a simple XML file.

Spoiler: .
    I'm talking about The Eternal Battle when you have to play as the ghosts. Without parry damage reduction, backstab damage reduction, and of course all of Geralt's abilities, I couldn't do anything in the first fight against a draugir and 3 swordsmen. It's broken.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Oh my God I didn't know they made games this pretty.

I think I'm averaging six deaths an hour. Where's that "learn2witch" thread...

World's End Supernova
    Whew. I had barely enough money and items for the last Dark Mode outfit. I deliberately skipped the early ones to make sure I got at least one. As far as I can tell, there are no unique items you must get in the first couple chapters, but you should really spoil yourself beforehand in preparation for the sticker shock.

I looted a lot of crates during the game but not all of them. I completed all quests but didn't need to grind anything.

Spoiler: one tricky item
    The Kinslayer's Trousers require dragon scales. You can get them a couple places in Chapter 3. One of those is a crate in the Temerian camp (go figure). But if you take Iorveth's path, everyone is hostile there! So I abused the enemy pathing between zones and snuck in the back.
    I see no reason to bother except for completeness. They're you're typical overpowered DLC items. By Chapter 3 you're already overpowered. There's an annoying graphical effect (check YouTube) but the ambient sound is kind of cool.

World's End Supernova
    No! I forgot to do a quest in Chapter 2 for an optional boss in Chapter 3. I wanted to fight it with the Dark Mode gear. No way am I doing all that again.

I don't see a mod to fix it for me. That might be hopeless since it's a multi-chapter quest. I think I'll ask around for someone's savegame file.

World's End Supernova
    I finished my second playthrough. Here's some relevant comments for new and returning players. Minor spoilers, but they're ones you might want to know for the best experience.

I think it's more natural to go with Roche on the first playthrough. With that other guy there are a couple revelations that make things awkward on Roche's side. Chapter 3 also makes more sense the first time with Roche. But I really liked the second playthrough. It's neat to see everything from a different perspective. It's a bold game design and they did a great job with it. There's plenty of unique content, other than most of the maps. Each skill tree feels different too.

Dark Mode gets a thumbs down. The item sets are merely a novelty. They're overpriced, overpowered, and use a visual and audio distortion effect that gets old after a while. You can watch a YouTube video of it instead. The difficulty level is also a letdown. According to that Dark Mode speed run I watched, enemies actually have the same hitpoints as other difficulties. (I haven't confirmed.) What we really need is a mode where enemies have 50% more hitpoints. That way you can do more interesting things in combat late in the game. Or just use weaker swords, I guess. Either way, I'd rather keep incoming damage the same as normal so you don't killed quickly after a mistake. All the quickloading breaks up the flow.

I guess you can play Dark Mode if you want, but don't expect anything that great.

Now I'm going to work on the arena.

World's End Supernova
    I got to level 56 in the arena on easy. A little over 100k points. I don't think it's worth bothering with easy difficulty. No one blocks so it's just a matter of casting quen and attacking. The greatest risk is getting bored like I did on my last fight, and not wanting to bother casting quen again. The enemies eventually get higher HP and do higher damage, but there's no real combat skill involved. So stick with normal unless you really want to see the final fight or something.

There are 30 arena levels. Then it loops. Geralt's maximum level is 35 so plan accordingly. It probably took me 90 minutes to get as far as I did.