Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by divorced View Post
    I've downloaded the patch 3 times and keep getting a "file is corrupted" message. Grrrr.....
    If you have the Steam version it won't work with it. Have to wait for Steam to get around to update their version.

World's End Supernova
    I believe this was already known, but 16:10 still has zoomed in FOV. I guess I'll play with 16:9 again.

I think I might downtune my graphics a tad too. It'd be nice to zip through a second playthrough holding 60 fps most places. I haven't found many good tradeoffs in the graphics options yet though.

World's End Supernova
    Dark mode in the arena seemed impossible until I remembered the quen sign. I guess it's been a while! The prologue isn't too hard. I died a few times to fire and arrows. *shrug*

Combat seems to flow pretty much the same. You have to pick your battles. I was looking for the improved responsiveness but I can't remember the problems from before. Geralt seems to raise his guard for a parry more quickly at least. So far I don't mind the damage on parry.

I think I'll go with an alchemy/magic build this time.

So I just tried the tutorial and it was very good. I died after a couple waves into the arena, though. It recommended Easy for me. Bah. I need to figure out doing crowd control quickly.

Spinning Toe
    I just "beat" the Arena finishing with a score of 165k. After 30 levels on easy the fights loop back to the beginning, but difficulty gets set to dark mode I think. So you can basically use easy mode (which isn't all that easy, some fights are just insanely hard) to build your witcher and then go for the real fights :).

The production values are really great, the companions you can hire even berate you in a few different ways if they happen to die in the Arena.

World's End Supernova
    How long did it take to get to that point on easy? An hour? It's too bad you can't save.

Spinning Toe
    an hour sounds about right. The fights last all 1 to two minutes. Managed to get to fight 72 now and I was wrong. The difficulty seems to be everincreasing to the point where even a lowly zombieswordsman hits for 470 damage.

World's End Supernova
    So did it switch you to dark mode or does it just increase the difficulty from your starting point of easy? I guess it might be hard to tell.

Have they announced a winner yet for the first person to finish dark mode? It's already been 18 hours.

Spinning Toe
    It's just an increase in difficulty designed to become impossibly hard pretty quickly. I had all damage reduction skills on the warrior/alchemy trees,200+ armor/700 life when I died. So I don't really see a reason to start on anything other than easy if you want a long arena run.

Apparently there is some guy who believably claims to have finished dark mode in three hours.

Mad Chester
    3rd playthrough, on Dark this time.
    Had forgotten how gorgeous the graphics are and how good the story-telling and world presentation are. I'm in love all over again.

My only wish would be for an engine which allows more freedom of movement (something similar to Assassin's creed, up to a point) and interaction with the environment.

World's End Supernova
    I swear the game feels like it's micro-stuttering slightly now with certain graphical effects on screen. I remember when I first played it on my new PC it was fine. But I even tried reinstalling an old version and backdating my drivers. Same thing. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now. I couldn't find any particular settings that cause the problem.

Oh well. Most of the time it's fine.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I think I might downtune my graphics a tad too. It'd be nice to zip through a second playthrough holding 60 fps most places. I haven't found many good tradeoffs in the graphics options yet though.
    I've found turning on ultra setting and then turning off ubersampling gives the best balance of framerate vs graphics on my system (gtx580).

Also post 2.0 patch I seem to have gained an epic armor set in my inventory. Is this some sort of freebie that was given as part of the 2.0 patch?

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Tudor View Post
    Also post 2.0 patch I seem to have gained an epic armor set in my inventory. Is this some sort of freebie that was given as part of the 2.0 patch?
    you also have some shiny gloves and trousers

They were initially items given for pre-orders (different retailers had different rewards, Amazon was the pants, I think). CDP added them for everybody in patch 1.x (some time ago).

Like all -pre-order items, they are completely imbalanced and my suggestion would be to set them aside (at least for the start of the game). Which is fine, now they have added the ability to store items in a chest (similar to TW1, available in the inn).

World's End Supernova
    I've found turning on ultra setting and then turning off ubersampling gives the best balance of framerate vs graphics on my system (gtx580).
    Of course, ubersampling is off. Maybe that'll be playable in the next generation of single graphics cards. I'll save it for a third playthrough or a possible expansion pack.

Social Worker
    Had a marathon 29 hour session on the weekend. I had been waiting for the 2.0 patch before seriously getting into the game. The game continues to astound both in the quality of story telling and the mechanics of the game engine. I've fully opened the Sword skill tree and Geralt is a slice and dice killing machine.

So many great one-liners in the game. My favorite to date is "my favorite kind of magic .. lesbomancy". LOL

Mad Chester
    I've played quite a bit lately too, and I love the game, but it can be really uneven at times. The story has some great bits, but also some pretty contrived plot devices.

So far for me the game has been at its best when you're exploring the amazing, wide environments to complete the smaller quests.

I've just finished the Flotsam part, and I have the impression the combat became easier. I got a bunch of levels from all the xp from the final Flotsam quests, and some pretty good gear, so I was expecting to kill endregas much more easily than I did before. Do new monsters bring back the challenge you get in flotsam?

Social Worker
    I think the game becomes easier as you progress. This is probably more due to the abilities you gain as you level up. Later boss fights are still a challenge though and require some tactical thinking and intelligent use of abilities.

I've never played a Witcher game but was thinking of picking up #2. I was curious how the setup is compared to other RPGs... is it more like Bioware fare with lots of small instances and heavy on the dialog, or is it more towards the Elder Scrolls end of the spectrum of open world exploring? I guess I'm wondering how linear vs freeform the game is.

Social Worker
    I would say it is in-between the two. For example the area around Flotsam is freeform although there are certain areas you get channeled to via the use of cliffs and ledges. Transitions between the outdoor environment and caves/dungeons are either via a seamless open entrance or via doors. Each chapter of the game has a distinct area that loads independently of each other.

The game is heavy on dialogue which is IMO one of it's main selling points. The combat is also quite substantial and a joy to play with as you level and gain abilities.

World's End Supernova
    You can see the Bioware ancestry and a few remnants of the Neverwinter Nights engine, but it doesn't feel like you're running around outdoor dungeons like the latest Bioware games.

There's a lot of dialogue but it's not the choose-your-personality type. Mostly you're just clicking things to hear the next part. The characters are interesting enough that I was happy to sit there and watch them. Your mileage may vary.

Mad Chester
    I got sidetracked a few weeks ago, halfway through Chapter II, but want to pick it up again at some stage.

I'm curious -- I went for a magic build and at Level 17 or 18, I don't feel overpowered at all. Yes, upgraded Quen is a lifesaver and Yrden lets me cheese any one-on-one fight, but my experience has been nothing like the general 'zomg Witcher 2 is easy once you level up and reach Chapter 2' sentiment. Should I have dropped points into Aard or Igni? Should I have gone for a melee build instead?

Account closed Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I've never played a Witcher game but was thinking of picking up #2. I was curious how the setup is compared to other RPGs... is it more like Bioware fare with lots of small instances and heavy on the dialog, or is it more towards the Elder Scrolls end of the spectrum of open world exploring? I guess I'm wondering how linear vs freeform the game is.
    I'd say it leans towards the Bioware model. Heavy on the dialog with finite areas to explore. The way the maps are designed you don't feel too constrained, but it's not an open world like Oblivion.

I'm a man of my word - I picked this up the day they dropped the price to $30 and released the 2.0 patch. I'm having a few technical problems, but nothing unmanageable. I'm just about through Chapter 1 and I'm enjoying it so far. Some of the quests need a bit more direction - I'm having to go look stuff up at the Witcher Wiki to figure out some of these side quests that don't have pointers on the map - but overall the story is good, the combat is decent and the graphics are splendid.

Social Worker
    I've now finished the game. 3rd chapter was too short but it was still a great experience. I hope they release an expansion pack. I love the witcher world.

World's End Supernova
    3rd chapter was too short but it was still a great experience. I hope they release an expansion pack.
    Don't forget about the alternate Chapter 2.

Account closed Social Worker
    I'm edging towards a video card upgrade - how do people think it would play with a GTX 460, Win7 for DX11, 3.0 Ghz dual core and 2 gig? Resolution is 1280x1024.

For reference I'm currently on a 9800 GT, WinXP and the same processor, resolution and memory and it's entirely playable on medium settings. BUT I DEMAND TEH PRETTIEZ

World's End Supernova
    Not sure about the video card. Framerates don't seem very linear in this game. And the last time I checked, the CPU had a lot to do with it. I'd definitely find someone with the same parts if TW2 performance is critical for you.

Back to the game: I forgot how scary endregas are when they crawl down a tree at night.

I looked into some of the Dark Mode stuff. I don't think it's a spoiler to say it's not so much new quests but craftable weapon and armor sets. You can make one in each chapter. Apparently they're ludicrously expensive. People have had to grind arm wrestling matches and shit. I guess the swords do some special things and make the screen turn dark when you draw them.

Damn old school Euro developers. I might just leave that for YouTube. The rest of Dark Mode gets a shrug too so far. It seems to be mostly a hitpoint adjustment -- enemies take a lot more damage, and Geralt goes down to nearly a single backstab now. It's a little frustrating in Chapter 1, but I hope it'll pay off later and make combat more challenging toward the end.

Social Worker
    After Crysis 2 and Rage, I still can't believe how good Witcher 2 looks, how much better than both those games.
    Not to mention leagues and leagues better writing, world consistency, narrative, gameplay, fun, etc etc.

Dammit I know they are different genres, but it still seems so unfair that Rage has 85, Crysis 2 86, and Witcher 2 87 on Metacritic. I would rearrange it to Rage 50, Crysis 2 70, Witcher 2 95.

Dragon Age 2 50.

:)

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebmojo View Post
    I'm edging towards a video card upgrade - how do people think it would play with a GTX 460, Win7 for DX11, 3.0 Ghz dual core and 2 gig? Resolution is 1280x1024.

For reference I'm currently on a 9800 GT, WinXP and the same processor, resolution and memory and it's entirely playable on medium settings. BUT I DEMAND TEH PRETTIEZ
    I think that card is still god enough for a year more, minimum, the problem is the old dual core.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-...bench/CPU2.png

Mad Chester
    Back to the game: I forgot how scary endregas are when they crawl down a tree at night.
    I know! They barely make a sound, and you see them coming down those gargantuan trees. That forest has such a great atmosphere. I had a similarly great moment when walking there at night, and saw the silhouettes of a bunch of drowners (or nekkers) running across my view in the distance. In fact I wish the game had even more of this dynamic monster ecology stuff.

Don't forget about the alternate Chapter 2.
    Spoiler: Wait...
    Does that mean that if I chose to go with Vernon to Henselt's camp, I won't go to Vergen?

New Romantic
    Belgerog - Thats exactly what it means - 2nd chapter is basically 2 x 10 hours of gameplay, which makes the game play out very differently depending on what you choose there.