Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Hmm. A prize to the first person that completes Dark mode? I expect that to be broken within the first few hours after it's released. Go, go internet!

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Apart from some very specific a bit unresponsive animations/moments and some slightly wonky targeting issues on ocassions, i loved the combat as it was. Including having to take in account my stamina to parry (it was only an issue in the first two hours of the game, where you had a very slow stamina), having to avoid the enemy sometimes to recover it. And including having to think before attacking, noticing the positions of each enemy and my own location, and thinking ahead of the present moment, reading the flow of combat.
    And i had to think in that way because my attacks could be interrupted, and i had to think because you have to invest in my movements and actions, i couldn't change them in the last moment, like in an arcade brawler. All together created a specific pace in the combat.

So right now you could say i fear change.

But maybe they are implemented in a very subtle way and all will be almost the same, and i am being silly right now.

Social Worker
    official forum:

Siven said:
    Though im not too sure on the parrying change only blocking 50% damage. Also does parrying still deplete vigor now that we can still parry when we have no vigor?

Flash who works at CDP (same guy who made full combat rebalance mod for TW1 btw) :
    This makes the bonuses to damage reduction while parrying useful. Before they had no impact on gameplay after buing 100% damage reduction on block talent.

Parrying still depletes vigor.

I see that there's confusion about interuption tweaks. Heavy hitters like trolls, enemies with halberds, charging enemies, etc. will always knock you down like before and you will be interupted when you are about to start attack sequence. What will change is that if you are in the middle of attack you will land a blow on your enemy, you won't be thrown away anymore. It is also more realistic, since one is not easily interupted when he gains enough momentum.

World's End Supernova
    I'm reading the RPS post now.

It's interesting the tutorial and arena are their own little mini areas in the game, with voiceovers and stuff. I guess I will go ahead and play the tutorial just for fun. On DLC:

I think it’s reasonable than when you buy our product, you can expect us to service it for you quite a long time after release, though less intensively as time goes by
    We can so close to a hilarious foreign language translation gaffe. New CGI intro when the X360 version comes out:

One of those will be a new, four–minute CGI intro by Oscar nominated and BAFTA winning animator Tomasz Bagiński, who was also responsible for the intro and outro of The Witcher 1.
    I don't remember those from TW1. Were they any good?

(A small advert, if I may: game developers, go to wwww.thewitcher.com to look for job opportunities; we need passionate, experienced devs to strengthen our team. And don’t be scared – Poland is a great country, the people are warm and friendly, the girls are positively beautiful, and we’ll help you relocate… So apply today!).
    When they're not making frustrating boneheaded decisions (especially on the GOG side) I just love these goofballs. But to be serious, it sounds like they have some good old-fashioned values and concern about quality. It feels genuine.

Part of me secretly hopes they'll do the expansion pack, even if it delays TW3. I know I'm hopelessly out of date and low-cost, low-value DLC is the way of the future and the right business move. But a new chapter sized chunk of game a year from now would be absolutely perfect.

Have you guys seen any reports at the forum how arena character builds work? Does it use an in-game character, or one with separate skills? I wonder if there is experience gain or if you can make it completely custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I don't remember those from TW1. Were they any good?
    Shame on you. They were very good, both the artistry and the direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    Shame on you. They were very good, both the artistry and the direction.
    They were okay. I watched them once or twice then never again. They were decent for CG, but that's not saying much.

Honestly, I think they could spend the money in better ways.

World's End Supernova
    This just proves the rule: never read comments anywhere. From RPS.

HmÖ I have to say from the little I played of TW2 (Iím waiting for this new version now), I wasnít overwhelmed. Yes, it was very good looking, but Trissí animation in bed looked really wrong to me (No boob movements?) and Geraltís foot clipped horribly with his boot when he put it on.

I mean theyíre minor flaws, yes, but for me they broke immersion. That said, Iím definitely excited about this new patch.

Account closed Social Worker
    I've decided to pick this up directly from GOG at the $30 price when 2.0 is released in a couple of days. I didn't finish the first game - in fact, I didn't particularly enjoy it all that much - but hopefully the 2nd game is "tighter" and as a maker of good, serious RPGs, I'd like to support them with my hard-earned dollars.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    They were okay. I watched them once or twice then never again. They were decent for CG, but that's not saying much.

Honestly, I think they could spend the money in better ways.
    Have to say I disagree. I felt the intro movie was 1) quite beautiful, 2) well animated and 3) set the tone perfectly for the overall universe/adventure.

The outro fight I really, really liked for the animation

I was actually quite disappointed at the lack of "proper" intro movie for TW2 ....

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    The Witcher 1's opening movie got a friend who watched it with me to both buy the game and read the books. I adored that thing.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    Have to say I disagree. I felt the intro movie was 1) quite beautiful, 2) well animated and 3) set the tone perfectly for the overall universe/adventure.

The outro fight I really, really liked for the animation

I was actually quite disappointed at the lack of "proper" intro movie for TW2 ....
    I felt exactly the same when I loaded TW2 for the first time and found out there was no intro movie. Glad they're correcting it since I loved both the intro and the outro of the first game.

Account closed Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe M. View Post
    Well, sure, if Skyrim is a midget. I was hoping to find out that they were adding some content to the brief, incomprehensible novelette of a RPG they shipped but it appears with 2.0 we get lolarena mode and re-textured items. Yay, I guess.
    Good... troll, I guess?

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    Apart from some very specific a bit unresponsive animations/moments and some slightly wonky targeting issues on ocassions, i loved the combat as it was. Including having to take in account my stamina to parry (it was only an issue in the first two hours of the game, where you had a very slow stamina), having to avoid the enemy sometimes to recover it. And including having to think before attacking, noticing the positions of each enemy and my own location, and thinking ahead of the present moment, reading the flow of combat.
    And i had to think in that way because my attacks could be interrupted, and i had to think because you have to invest in my movements and actions, i couldn't change them in the last moment, like in an arcade brawler. All together created a specific pace in the combat.
    My feelings too. Part of what makes the combat system in the Witcher 2 so great is that you have to be careful about what you do. The current system that requires good management of your vigor but negates all damage makes more sense to me. This is one of those games that doesn't frustrate me when I die, because I love doing a combat encounter more than once.

If their new system doesn't work well, I hope the old system can be modded back in. On the other hand, it's great that they're improving responsiveness.

World's End Supernova
    To continue guessing, I bet you'll still need to be smart about the flow of combat if you play at harder difficulty. You'll still take damage if you attack at the wrong time, even if you can't be interrupted past a certain point. And at high difficulty you'll take more damage than you did on normal. Maybe it will balance out, except now you have more responsive, less frustrating controls.

We'll see.

New Romantic
    Awesome - Thanks!

Played through the new tutorial, and it's definitely better having it all here as opposed to the first section, decided to start over in dark mode to see how it goes.

Social Worker
    Hmpf, first problem detected.

All previous patches contained all languages.
    After applying 2.0, czech language as well as some others are gone. I hope they will release hotfix with all languages again, because czech translation was brilliant and it makes all the reading (journal etc) more comfortable for me.

I played the Arena for 5 minutes, it was meh.

Mad Chester
    I tried out the arena too, and someone in the audience shouted "MAXIMUS! .. I mean, Geralt!"

Quote Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
    I played the Arena for 5 minutes, it was meh.
    5 whole minutes? Way to be thorough.

World's End Supernova
    How does the arena work in terms of configuring your character?

Social Worker
    Tutorial was nice, if anyone struggles with the game after this tutorial they will need to have iq of 5 and/or motor skills of infant.

Arena...tried it on dark mode. Died in first wave in around 20 seconds. Will have to practice more :-).

How To Go
    How are the combat changes?

Mad Chester
    tried the arena mode (on normal) and ... fuck it's hard (or I am really bad). It also perfectly illustrates how in my case, the endgame became easy because of increased skills + equipment and not due to any natural gaming skills.

reminds me of the start of the game in v 1.0: you have no skills (in particular the one which means you don't get dinged for double damage when hit int he back ... O miss it so badly), no equipment, no vitality, no potions and do zero damage. Now go and kill 5 dudes. Shit.

I relearned that Quen is my vital friend etc etc. Also, the arena sounds (crowd, ennemies, fires etc) are really really good. I found myself going more on the offensive (big mistake ...) when the crowd started booing me ...

Still, it feels hard but fair etc and I still love this game to bits.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    How does the arena work in terms of configuring your character?
    You level up and get skills as you kill enemies in the arena, and you also get loot after each fight.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post
    you also get loot after each fight.
    I hope we get timber.

Spinning Toe
    Arena on easy is tons of fun. The later fights are suitably epic. Made it to level 30 where 3 golems +7 gargoyles killed me :D.

remarried Mad Chester
    I've downloaded the patch 3 times and keep getting a "file is corrupted" message. Grrrr.....

Mad Chester
    Man, I forgot how great this game looked. I've never finished it, for a lack of time, I'm actually still around flotsam. I was walking in the woods nearby during the night, and I wandered into an area where the moon light shafts created an amazing sight.

I've also crafted my first superb witcher's silver sword, I love the pommel. It's in the shape of a wolf's head, instead of being a disk-like pommel with an engraving of a wolf's head, like the one standard silver sword has.

I'm still unsure about the combat changes. It's not easier, and I'm glad for that. Still, I like the idea of interrupts, but in hard mode you still get killed very easily, so you can't be reckless anyways.

Speaking of combat, is there any weapon that helps against the shielded guys, like breaking their shields? Or is stunning them the only way to effectively kill them?