Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Pillow Talk
    Great news about 2.0.

CDPR deserves all the praise they've gotten recently. Their post release support has been incredible.

World's End Supernova
    The $30 sale has me seriously considering this game for the first time since it was released. But if I go down that path, then Deus Ex 3 is definately pushed to the side (though it might be anyway.) Decisions, decisions.

Social Worker
    Do eeeet! The magic wielding, sword swinging, potion chugging, monster slaying, lady killing bundle of awesome that is Geralt compels you!

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Imryll View Post
    [...]parked in Flotsam[...]the real issues are its pacing and heavy reliance on cinematics
    To be fair, Flotsam is the point where the game stops doing this and opens up into much more of a sandbox. Give it 2-3 more hours, and it may turn into the game you wanted.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
    The $30 sale has me seriously considering this game for the first time since it was released. But if I go down that path, then Deus Ex 3 is definately pushed to the side (though it might be anyway.) Decisions, decisions.
    Do it !
    at that price and with the improvements brought by the 2.0 patch you'd be crazy not to :)

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Imryll View Post
    I loved the first Witcher, but my Witcher 2 Geralt is still parked in Flotsam, awaiting improvements to the game. I'm not sure why it hasn't engaged me more, although I suspect that annoying as some aspects of the interface were on release, that the real issues are its pacing and heavy reliance on cinematics. I prefer games that let me do things my own way, in my own time. Note that I'm not saying that games where the devs are more controlling are bad, just that I enjoy them less.
    I was beginning to feel the same as you by that point but as already mentioned, the games opens up a lot more after the first few minutes in flotsam.

It's no "open world" game mind you but the "rails" become much less obvious and you are not guided quite as much.

Well, I'm going to play Desu Ex 3 and that should last me until the 29th of Sep, when the 2.0 update comes out, THEN I'll pick up The Witcher 2.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
    Well, I'm going to play Desu Ex 3 and that should last me until the 29th of Sep, when the 2.0 update comes out, THEN I'll pick up The Witcher 2.
    Sure, but it won't be $30 then, probably. The interest right now is the sale price and knowing that other releases are going to mean I really won't be looking at the game again until late in the year or later.

At the moment I'm pretty sure Deus Ex 3 is going to win out, though.

Sure, but it won't be $30 then, probably. The interest right now is the sale price and knowing that other releases are going to mean I really won't be looking at the game again until late in the year or later.

At the moment I'm pretty sure Deus Ex 3 is going to win out, though.
    Oh, I'm pretty confident it will go on sale again by the end of Sep, honestly.

Social Worker
    This is a game for at least two playthroughs, so I would get it now, finish it, and play once again with 2.0 when it comes.

I have already finished the game twice and will replay again with 2.0.

Er, well, yeah, I actually agree - I just don't have any money right now. :)

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Seriously, whoever still hasn't bought it: D2D is offering it for 14 Pounds! (aka 22$) That's a pretty sweet deal...

This is why retail discs aren't going anywhere just yet:

Of the group’s many areas of operation, the gaming division provided the largest contribution to the result. In particular, The Witcher 2 game, released on May 17, proved a great success, with sales of 940,000 copies, out of which 200,000 were downloaded online by gamers.
    http://www.wbj.pl/article-55824-the-...pies-sold.html

I've actually got $55 put together to pick this up, but I can't download it or take advantage of any deals, as I promised the wife I'd stay away from using the credit card while she's paying it off. This means Target most likely (I've seen a big nice looking box set there of TW2 for $49.99) instead of $30 on GOG.com or $22 on D2D, sadly. :)

Couldn't you just buy a prepaid credit card for $30? Sure you'll have to pay an extra $5 for the activation fee, but you'll save 20 dollars or so from retail. Unless you really want the guidebook, coin and all that, which is nice to have.

Okay, I did get this today! Yay!

Now, should I *play* it now, or should I wait until the 2.0 update? Having just completed Deus Ex I'm between games at the moment.

Account closed Social Worker

Now, should I *play* it now, or should I wait until the 2.0 update? Having just completed Deus Ex I'm between games at the moment.
    Play it now. 'S a great game, the 2.0 update just adds some ancillaries.

Social Worker

Play it now, the game is pretty much polished already. When 2.0 hits you will want to play it again since half of the game will be different.

Good. That's the answer I thought I'd get from other comments on this very thread, but also the one I was HOPING I'd get. :) I've already been installing it for the last 20 minutes, in fact, and should be able to sink a few hours into it tonight!

Spinning Toe
    Play it, my friend. Do not hesitate!

Good. That's the answer I thought I'd get from other comments on this very thread, but also the one I was HOPING I'd get. :) I've already been installing it for the last 20 minutes, in fact, and should be able to sink a few hours into it tonight!
    Be prepared for the fighting to be tough at the beginning - and play the tutorial stories in order.

I've done all the tutorials save the last (I assume - already had one pop up that wasn't listed previously.. though it was a doozy!) at the monestary. I don't feel combat is as hard as I was braced for, but neither am I the best at it. So far I've just been using a combination of the shield and fire or stun and a few short left-click cuts with an occasional right-click cut and it's been working out just fine.

I'm actually finding the combat increidbly fun, especially when I cut down one guy and then stab behind me and take out a guy who was coming up from behind. VERY satisfying! That said I just talked the first dude out as I was afraid of fighting him. The controls during combat will take some getting used to, it seems like, where right now I'm just spamming clicks and the space bar. :)

Also, my first point went into throwing knives, because it sounded cool... was that a bad idea?

I've done all the tutorials save the last (I assume - already had one pop up that wasn't listed previously.. though it was a doozy!) at the monestary. I don't feel combat is as hard as I was braced for, but neither am I the best at it. So far I've just been using a combination of the shield and fire or stun and a few short left-click cuts with an occasional right-click cut and it's been working out just fine.

I'm actually finding the combat increidbly fun, especially when I cut down one guy and then stab behind me and take out a guy who was coming up from behind. VERY satisfying! That said I just talked the first dude out as I was afraid of fighting him. The controls during combat will take some getting used to, it seems like, where right now I'm just spamming clicks and the space bar. :)

Also, my first point went into throwing knives, because it sounded cool... was that a bad idea?
    Awesome, you're set. And no.

Just got to where I need to ... uh, use stealth for the first time, let's say. SO GOOD.

Wow. I just love the story, and the characters, and the way the game opens/starts - it grabbed me immediately, where the first Witcher I was never able to get into (though I tried 3 times). The combat in TW2 is infinitely better than the first game. Not having stances helps immesurably, but holding down the CNTRL button might be the most fun thing ever.

Wow. This game is incredible. Too bad my video card is about to eat a bag of dicks. *sigh* I'm going to play as much as I can before it finally does more than just mis-color the occasional plant or something though, it's not artifacting a lot yet, but I sense it's about to. I've already got my RMA printed otu and ready to go (this is an EVGA 570 GTX and I've only had it brand new for 5 weeks now, very disapointing, but it has a lifetime warranty at least).

Anyway, I am about 20xp from level 8 and my first point in something besides the default tree - but to be honest I'm REALLY interested in putting that point in that default tree so I can deflect arrows - that sounds very useful!

I think my first point will go into Footwork so I can increase my roll distance, that seems like a good place to start. Any thoughts on early game talents? I want to focus more on Magic, but I know some of these skills (like footwork in Swordsman) will greatly synergize with magic.

New Romantic
    Re deflect arrows - dont :-)

As for the rest, I've only tried the swordsman tree, but man, you become extremely powerfull by going that route - I heartily recommend it. As far as i can remember, most of the general tree is pretty damn good as well, except the arrow deflecting thingie.

I think I might just go down mage enough to get the upgraded Shield that reflects damage to a small group, plus the mind control upgrade (Axii - love using that). Then I might focus mostly on Swordsman for my first play through beyond that, we'll see how things feel 5 or 6 levels from now.

Thanks for the tip on deflect arrows - why isn't it worth picking up? It sounds great on paper, at least...

Neo Acoustic

Thanks for the tip on deflect arrows - why isn't it worth picking up? It sounds great on paper, at least...
    I used it. Thought it was useful.

New Romantic
    I got it as well, never used it at all.

Oh well :-)

How To Go
    I'm so into this game it hurts. Stuck deep in chapter 2 and having a blast. My PC is strong enough to handle everything except for supersampling and it's beautiful.

Spent all morning just gathering items and equipment to prepare for the next outing.

This is my GOTY by far.

Screenshots I've taken here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jazar/s...lter=app_20920