Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Spinning Toe
    Not me. Still haven't had any luck, and the only other solution I"ve seen is to remove everything Steam related, uninstall Steam, then reinstall from scratch using Admin mode. I *really* don't want to spend a week re-downloading everything. Bad enough I've now spent three days downloading Witcher 2 over and over again.

I try running 'witcher 2.exe' from that directory, and same thing - immediate return to desktop. Only thing that does anything is 'configurator.exe' (I think that's the name) that tells me my install isn't correct. I also don't have a file called 'paul.dll', which I've seen mentioned in a lot of threads about the game.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
    Not me. Still haven't had any luck, and the only other solution I"ve seen is to remove everything Steam related, uninstall Steam, then reinstall from scratch using Admin mode. I *really* don't want to spend a week re-downloading everything. Bad enough I've now spent three days downloading Witcher 2 over and over again.

I try running 'witcher 2.exe' from that directory, and same thing - immediate return to desktop. Only thing that does anything is 'configurator.exe' (I think that's the name) that tells me my install isn't correct. I also don't have a file called 'paul.dll', which I've seen mentioned in a lot of threads about the game.
    Some folks are apparently having a registry issue as one other thing to check (expand the Admin's comments):

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index...age__p__693816

It is weird that 1.3 requires so many different fixes for different people. My registry was OK, but I couldn't get Run As to work on Steam.exe, the launcher, or the Witcher 2 executable. The only thing that worked on my computer was to check always run as administrator on the compatibility tab of the Steam client. Very annoying problem from a patch.

Kal

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    Probably a wise choice.

Social Worker
    Second playthrough finished..it is really amazing how different it was compared to the first.

I liked Iorveth, but Roche was such a bad ass :-).

BTW that Operator fight was brutal. I spent maybe 40 minutes on it, had to try out several strategies. In the end I just did it "old school" with a lot of quen/dodge/parry and occasional Aard.

Overall while both branches are supergood, I think I liked Iorveth a little bit more, because dwarfes are just so awesome. Roche's side is not as friendly. I will play it once again before expansion comes out, I hope in next 12 months..

I'm starting on Iorveth's path but I hate that elf. He just rubs me the wrong way. So far I do like his path better with the dwarfs and everything else but I really dislike Iorveth and his holier than thou attitude. Really enjoyed the game. I hope the xbox delay is just that and it doesn't end up cancelled like the first one for the consoles. The Witcher is too great a game series not to be missed out on.

World's End Supernova
    The proper way to make fun of a game's excesses:

An excerpt from Kirk Hamilton's Witcher 2 novel at Kotaku

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    The proper way to make fun of a game's excesses:

An excerpt from Kirk Hamilton's Witcher 2 novel at Kotaku
    Triss pushed open the door to the forest and passed through it. Once she was through, she closed the door. Then Geralt approached the door and tried to open it, but found he could not. He fumbled at the door for a few minutes, unable to open it, before finally backing up, putting his hand firmly on the knob, and opening it.
    Pretty awesome.

Social Worker
    It was all Geralt could do not to sex her right there.
    Bwah ha!

Mad Chester
    http://www.thewitcher.com/the-witche...deos/trailers/
    music video (may contain spoilers, however of the generic non specific variety)

also some rumours of a 2.0 patch to come

World's End Supernova
    It sure is foggy! I hate to say that, but it's all I notice when you put the cutscenes back to back in a video. They definitely chose rich close-up details over clear expansive views in this engine.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    http://www.thewitcher.com/the-witche...deos/trailers/
    music video (may contain spoilers, however of the generic non specific variety)

also some rumours of a 2.0 patch to come
    Bastards!! I'm on my second playthrough - now its ruined!

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    I won't play my second playthrough until they release the 360 version, i suppose that's where they will launch the last update, giving the pc version parity with the new stuff of the console version.

Spinning Toe
    Finally got this working. I think, anyway. The opening menu comes up, which is very much farther than it ever got before.

Turns out that the patching process, on my box anyway, removed a file called 'paul.ddl' from the bin directory. Well, after once again letting Steam validate the files for the last 24 hours, I made a copy of everything in the Witcher 2 directory so I had a fallback point. When I noticed the paul.dll missing after the two patches, I copied it back over, and all of a sudden the splash screens come up and I see the main menu. Yay!

Now if it just works again next time I start the game. Kind of disappointed I had to quit right away because I was on a conference call.

Social Worker
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc...witcher/719206

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc...witcher/719204

2.0 dev diary and x360 trailer.

Dark mode is what fans were asking for. Better tutorial is what fans were asking for. Arena was something fans wanted. More, as of yet undisclosed, improvements included. Everything for free. Game being available in all languages with all DLCs for free everywhere around the world.

Now compare that to what Squeenix did with DX. FUCK I am pissed. (And happy about CDP's existance).

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Version 2.0.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc...itcher/719206?

I can't watch right now the video diary, so i will paste from other forum

- Technical + gameplay enhancements
    - New, more immersive tutorial
    - Dark Mode - new difficulty setting comparable to insane but with new "dark themed" equipment and the ability to save
    - Arena mode, which is "arcade like", and looks hell lot like Die by the Sword arena with high scores (Facebook integration)
    - Free
    - Release date: September 29th

World's End Supernova
    That sounds great. Now we just need brothel mode.

Social Worker
    That sounds great. Now we just need brothel mode.
    You never fail to crack me up :-).

World's End Supernova
    Any more details on dark mode? Does it just make Geralt more emo?

September 29th might be nice too. I can replay the game and compare it to Skyrim for the all-important GOTY decision. But RPGs are my busiest genre at the moment. And they're still doing an expansion, right? I'm not sure if I can handle playing it 3 times within a year.

Man, I'm super glad I held off on picking this up. The 2.0 release comes out in late September, and I'll be well clear of Deus Ex by then and ready for a new game! HoMM VI can wait, I'll pick this up to kill time until Skyrim. Nice!

Social Worker
    I'm glad I've waited to do my second playthrough! Looks awesome.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
    Man, I'm super glad I held off on picking this up. The 2.0 release comes out in late September, and I'll be well clear of Deus Ex by then and ready for a new game! HoMM VI can wait, I'll pick this up to kill time until Skyrim. Nice!
    Like I said months ago, there was no reason to wait. You need to do at least 2 playthroughs to see all major parts of the game.

Now if the expansion is integrated into the campaign you might be in my situation where you have to play it 3 times. I haven't heard any details though.

Like I said months ago, there was no reason to wait. You need to do at least 2 playthroughs to see all major parts of the game.

Now if the expansion is integrated into the campaign you might be in my situation where you have to play it 3 times. I haven't heard any details though.
    Well, I honestly didn't have time or funds to get it when it came out, so it's not like I'm super clever or anything. In truth though, the updated gameplay systems, such as better tutorials, coupled with the updates, fixes, and DLC that's been released to date just means when I *do* get to it, I'm probably in for a real treat, and I should be able to play it twice between when I finally get it and when my next game (Skyrim, I'd imgine) comes out. Should work out well, I hope.

World's End Supernova
    True, I forgot about the tutorial.

Social Worker
    I'm midway through my second run of Act I and think I'll hold off till the DLC, if only because they might add stuff to ACT I itself.

Hopefully, Deus Ex and the Shogun 2 DLC can keep me occupied till then and SKYRIM.

If not... work.

Mad Chester
    Proper tutorials, in my Witcher 2? And Arena mode, and a new difficulty setting? All with no DRM and for free 6-month after the game was already released?

FUCK YEAH. Go CDP, I already liked them but I am becoming an absolute fanboy now.

Account closed Social Worker
    The original Witcher was just "meh" in my book and it's not a game I could ever bring myself to finish. I can see where it shines - and when it does it's brilliant - but some of the questing, the combat and Geralt's attitude just get in the way of the game for me. I get bored after a while and move on to something else.

I made it to the nicer area of town, but there my Geralt sits, probably for all eternity.

So I haven't purchased Witcher II, but given CDPs support of it, I'll probably pick it up on the first sale after the release of 2.0.

Social Worker
    30 bucks on GOG.com

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2/

buy it.

I desperately would LOVE to, but I just can't yet. Hopefully it will be on sale around the end of September when I'll have some cash and also the 2.0 update drops.

Hustle
    I loved the first Witcher, but my Witcher 2 Geralt is still parked in Flotsam, awaiting improvements to the game. I'm not sure why it hasn't engaged me more, although I suspect that annoying as some aspects of the interface were on release, that the real issues are its pacing and heavy reliance on cinematics. I prefer games that let me do things my own way, in my own time. Note that I'm not saying that games where the devs are more controlling are bad, just that I enjoy them less.

Quote Originally Posted by Imryll View Post
    I loved the first Witcher, but my Witcher 2 Geralt is still parked in Flotsam, awaiting improvements to the game. I'm not sure why it hasn't engaged me more....
    Same with me, although my Geralt is a bit of the ways into Chapter 2. I got distracted by other things, got onto playing FO:NV, and haven't gone back to TW2. Oddly, I don't feel compelled to do so, either, so I'm likely to continue along with other games until I feel the urge to finish off TW2. It's not that there's anything that I can put my finger on that's wrong with the game, it just didn't lock me in.