Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    A link about a patch from The Witcher 1...
    Oops.. ;)

I've read that the combat in this game is made extra challenging by some sort of slight but noticable delay between inputting a command and seein it happen on screen. Is this still an issue, or has a previous patch addressed it? Or maybe the reviews I saw blew a non-issue out of proportion?

To clarify, I'm looking to get this on the PC.

Neo Acoustic
    I get that issue a little bit. I get a little delay between when I hit my Q key and when I cast a sign that I notice sometimes. It's never been a big deal, though.

Edit: only happens with signs, though. Never dodging or sword-swinging.

Patch 1.3 out now...

The increment from 1.2 is about 100 MB. Soon be time for the requisite 'different choices' playthrough.

Social Worker
    Tested it, black bars are gone. Time for a second playthrough.

World's End Supernova
    I think I'll wait. I happen to be swamped with a lot of games right now due to my new PC.

I'm glad I put off really getting into the game, the last two patches have had some much needed improvements.

Hooray. Been waiting for this patch to come out before starting.

New Romantic
    Aye, the same here. I am still somewhat cautious of starting a new playthrough though, since CDP has a pretty good track record of supporting their games long after release. Dammit, I don't wait to have to replay it in 2 months because they released something awesome!

World's End Supernova
    I think everyone here realizes this, but just to be clear for lurkers: if you haven't played it at all yet, you should go ahead now. You'll need to play it twice anyway to see a large portion of the game in a separate path.

Those of us that have played it once can do the guessing game about whether to wait for more DLC and updates or not.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Okay, I've asked this question before, right before it started, but I still want to ask it again now that people have played through.

I played the Witcher, but never beat it. I got to the start of Chapter 4 and kinda gave up on it. I started it again recently to have a save ready for TW2, but it's too familiar and I'm just not able to keep at it. Two questions!

1) Where is a good synopsis of the ending of TW1?

2) What am I missing not playing TW1 to completion and importing a save?

New Romantic
    Honestly, the save game import didn't do much for me- it was minor things, things that made me remember stuff from the first game, but nothing earth shattering. Its not as big as say Mass Effect 1->2 for instance, so you'll be fine without the savegame.

As for synopsis, sorry, cant help there

Social Worker
    You can read detailed story overview on Witcher wiki
    http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_storyline

If you are absolutely sure you will never finish it (a shame, frankly).

As for save, you miss out on some unimportant import items (they make game a bit easier in the beginning) and few story references, but nothing too important. It is pretty selfcontained.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    You can read detailed story overview on Witcher wiki
    http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_storyline

If you are absolutely sure you will never finish it (a shame, frankly).

As for save, you miss out on some unimportant import items (they make game a bit easier in the beginning) and few story references, but nothing too important. It is pretty selfcontained.
    How direct a sequel is it? I know this isn't a Final Fantasy sequel, related in name only, but isn't it going to build on whatever happens at the end of the Witcher?

I'm not NEVER going to finish the Witcher, but I'm just not feeling the urge to keep playing right now -- it's all too familiar, I've done all this before.

I've been working through Witcher 1, also (just finished the swamp in Chapter 2). Would it ruin anything to jump over to W2 for awhile and then go back? The 'shiny new game' calls to me and makes it harder to load up the first.

World's End Supernova
    At the end of The Witcher, Triss accidentally knocks the king off a wall with her breasts, plunging the kingdom into chaos. The Witcher 2 opens with their continued journey through Temeria.

Vaguely-spoilery serious discussion of this issue: isn't the endgame CGI video the only significant link to TW2, and isn't it relatively self-contained outside of the end of TW1? Why not just tell people to watch that on YouTube and leave the rest until they play it?

Is there an easy way to tell which version of the game you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Is there an easy way to tell which version of the game you have?
    Clicking on the Read Me in the launcher will tell you which version.

Social Worker
    or rightclicking on witcher2.exe, properties - details - game version. Mine says 1.3.andsomelongnumber

Spinning Toe
    Steam version won't run after the 1.3 patch. I validate files and it says the game has 53 failed files and needs to be re-downloaded. Great...

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    You can't patch any Steam game through other games that are not Steam. The files will change, Steam will detect it, and it will redownload every changed file.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrank View Post
    Steam version won't run after the 1.3 patch. I validate files and it says the game has 53 failed files and needs to be re-downloaded. Great...
    Did you ever get this resolved? I was looking at the Steam forums and apparently you can get caught in an endless and unnecessary loop of patching. Most folks said running Steam as Administrator fixes the failure to launch.

New Romantic
    Great, no 2560x1600 support. Didn't know this stuff was so hard to support.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUSteve View Post
    Did you ever get this resolved? I was looking at the Steam forums and apparently you can get caught in an endless and unnecessary loop of patching. Most folks said running Steam as Administrator fixes the failure to launch.
    I was able to get it to work by running Steam as administrator. Right click on steam icon > Run As Administrator. Good luck!

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUSteve View Post
    Anyone else have this issue?

I quit steam, restarted as administrator, let it validate and download all 53 files again - because I have nothing better to do than wait for 24 hours (again) while this happens - and hit play. The three step setup happened, concluding with the patch to version 1.3, and then - nothing. As always.

Running the 'configurator.exe' says there isn't a valid installation. Looks valid to me, although my attempts at googling the problem made a number of references to a 'paul.dll', which I still don't have any any of my 'Witcher 2' directories. At any rate, I'm still stuck not able to even get a spash screen for this game, much less start it. Anyone have anything else that worked other than 'run steam as admin'? Becasue otherwise, I may just have to wait until the next patch and try again, because I'm sick of waiting 18+ hours to see if something will work.

New Romantic
    Restarting Steam as Administrator worked for me, ChiTown. I don't think repatching is going to help.

Social Worker
    I just got into third chapter of my second playthrough (with Roche) and was amazed by beautiful song that played in the starting mountains (before getting into city).

Of course, it was missing from the original soundtrack provided with GOG version.

Luckily, some good soul on gog forums extracted it from the game, tagged it, named it, compiled it, and released:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CP5QT4S5

Very recommended for game music afficionados. The song in question is called Blue Mountains. Currently on my fourth listen.

Good Shape

Admin

I had the same problem with witcher and running witcher2.exe prom the dir ....stem\steamapps\common\thewitcher\bin in admin mode solved the problem. So not steam neither the launcher but directly witcher2 exe in admin solves the problem for me.