Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Dramatic license!

BTW, i am finishing the last book of the Geralt of Rivia saga, and Zyvik appeared briefly. Fuck yeah!

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Are you using signs ? (quen, axiie..)
    Are you using potions before going out? (swallow,rook..)
    Are you using parry ? Bombs, traps, dodging?

Are you reading your journal on monsters, about what effects whom? Are you using correct sword? Are you buying books on monsters to get all info?
    I mostly stick to Aard sign, just because sometimes it stuns things or knocks them down to thin out crowds and I like that. I should branch out more.

I've been lax on using potions so far. I do know I used them a lot more in the first game than I have been here, so obviously that should help.

I don't have the parry skill yet because I'm still early in the game. Will definitely grab it as soon as I can. I dodge a lot, and that helps. I haven't experimented with bombs or traps yet.

I know I just need to practice. I was mostly just venting. After your fifth or sixth time getting killed by the same handful of little monsters, things can start to get a little frustrating.

Neo Acoustic
    So, after a break and a good night's sleep, I came back and laid waste to those goddamn Neckers. I took it slow, I timed my attacks, I made sure I didn't get surrounded, and I came out with nary a scratch.

It seems like there just aren't any trash monsters in this game. Neckers and Drowners seem like the types of things that, in other games, would just be free XP and loot. They are monsters after all, though, so of course they're dangerous. I am not complaining; this is a good thing.

All right--take it slow and prepare, prepare, prepare.

World's End Supernova
    Humanoid monsters are sometimes tougher than humans because they can swarm and jump in on you quickly.

Mad Chester
    wish there was a mod that would allow you to only do combat if you desire. Something like an arena tournament with ever more powerful opponents or 1vs.x etc

Sometimes I have 30 minutes and the desire to go bash somebody's head in but without the time to play through the "RPG" elements

Mad Chester
    Thanks for the answers about riposte, I tried it a few more times and it seems indeed that it only works if you start blocking before the enemy starts attacking.

I have to say it's a bit lame, I prefer blocking and then doing a manual quick attack. It's a bit cooler when you do the riposte and there are multiple enemies near you, Geralt does a sort of spinning attack. But against a single opponent Geralt rolls in front of his feet and stabs, which is very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    No, oils don't stack. A whetstone and an oil might though, can't remember.
    I tried and wasn't able to stack a whetstone and an oil. It happened once but it seemed like a bug (or maybe I put the oil on the silver sword and the whetstone on the steel sword). So what's the point of using, say, the necrophage oil over a whetstone? The whetstone lasts longer, has the same +20% damage bonus, but works against every type of enemy.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post
    I have to say it's a bit lame, I prefer blocking and then doing a manual quick attack. It's a bit cooler when you do the riposte and there are multiple enemies near you, Geralt does a sort of spinning attack. But against a single opponent Geralt rolls in front of his feet and stabs, which is very weird.
    You're lame and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post
    So what's the point of using, say, the necrophage oil over a whetstone? The whetstone lasts longer, has the same +20% damage bonus, but works against every type of enemy.
    Dunno. Do better alchemists make more effective oils?

Mad Chester
    It might be that, I know I saw some oil skills in the alchemy tree. Or maybe whetstones are scarcer and more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    You're lame and it's awesome.
    Nu-huh! I killed two endrega queens today and feel totally badass.

Whetstones are much more scarcer and non-craftable.

Neo Acoustic
    So I played this a lot this weekend--I'm about 17 hours in and I started on Saturday morning. Obviously I'm enjoying it. My earlier bitching about combat was unwarranted. Once I got the hang of it (which happened pretty soon after I posted here) it got a lot more fun. Far from the frustrating slog that I thought it was, the combat system is actually pretty awesome. Once you get into the swing of things in a big fight, it's great fun.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the obvious comparison that everybody has touched on is Dragon Age 2. I'm one of those that actually liked that game and liked what Bioware did with it. I plan to re-play it. That said, The Witcher 2 (so far) does everything that Bioware tried to do with DA2, and much better. Bioware, I hope you're taking notes.

In particular, the one-on-one fight with [a character] near the end of chapter 1, contrasted with a similar duel in DA2. I already thought DA2's was poorly-designed and just not fun, and here comes the Witcher 2 showing how it can be done right.

The DA2 version must be really fucking terrible.

Broad Band
    I'd say in general DA2 is really not very good. Whereas DA1 was a surprisingly awesome RPG, DA2 reminds me of Dungeon Siege with cutscenes and slightly better production values.

Mad Chester
    I really liked the fight he is referring to.

It is really though (on normal/hard) but fair. There's no QTE bullshit or introducing new mechanics. It's pure, simple 1vs1 combat requiring a fair bit of skill (as in player skill to decide when to attack, when to retreat which sign to use, when to interrupt him etc)

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    I really liked the fight he is referring to.

It is really though (on normal/hard) but fair. There's no QTE bullshit or introducing new mechanics. It's pure, simple 1vs1 combat requiring a fair bit of skill (as in player skill to decide when to attack, when to retreat which sign to use, when to interrupt him etc)
    Exactly. I lost the fight a number of times, but I never got fed up or felt like the game was being unfair. I lost because I got careless. There was a lot of dodging, switching up signs, tossing bombs and throwing knives, risky attacks that either paid off or (more often) didn't . . . it felt like a one-on-one fight where I was evenly matched or even outclassed a little bit and had to think on my feet.

The analogous fight in DA2 is terrible, in comparison. It's poorly balanced. Every hit knocks you down. You run around and around a pillar to dodge special attacks and chip away at the enemy's health bar, or just run and run to wait for your health potion cooldown to run out so you can heal up and drag the fight out. It takes forever, and it's boring. It doesn't feel like you should be able to win, but the game expects you to. For all the build-up to this epic fight, it's a real letdown.

I'm not normally a fan of boss fights but I actually had a lot of fun with that fight in The Witcher 2. Thumbs up.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Sheds View Post

I'm not normally a fan of boss fights but I actually had a lot of fun with that fight in The Witcher 2. Thumbs up.
    This.

DA2 isn't even in the same league as The Witcher 2, DA2 feels and plays like a hack and slash (a genre which I love, by the way) that got slapped some badly written back story; this coming from someone who loved DA1 and replayed it about 6-7 times, I played once through DA2 and that is enough for me.

Neo Acoustic

Great Action Movie but game?

Thanks to the forum and the Steam Sale I got Witcher 2, and spent much of the last couple of days finishing Act 1.

I am puzzled and a bit surprised that I have not read many negative comments about the lack of character development and the linear nature of the game. I am wonder does it change in Act 2 and Act 3.

First, I am a disappointed when I finally level up that I get pick exactly one new skill, no increase stats, no picking spell, no boosting specific skills. I understand that unlike most RPG I can play a hybrid so characters end up being pretty differentiated but a single skill seems like a small reward for leveling.

Second, given the rather elaborate crafting system they developed, there just does seem like much in the way of equipment upgrades. You start out with superior gauntlets and trousers, which are significantly better than anything you can craft. That leaves you with boots, armor, two swords, and trophy slot to upgrade. Again compared to a typical RPG with twice as many slot there isn't that much of a mini goal to try and get.

My biggest issue I think is the linearity of the game. (Yes I understand from spoilers the threads that choices you make take the game in different directions with significantly different content.) However, from the moment I killed Kayran in Act 1 till the end, the game is just one big cut scene, where I follow characters from point A to point B, with a couple of action sequence and boss battles.

Now there is much to like about the game. It is hands down the most beautiful game I've ever played. The animation and art direction in Witchers 2 compared to other games, is like Avatar to other movies.

Fortunately the story, and dialogue is better in Witchers 2, and really quite good. Geralt has some pretty Eastwoodesque lines, and the relationship between him and the hottie Tess actually is more believable than many movies.

The combat is challenging I ended up moving the game down to Easy for the bosses and somewhat varied. I guess my question is will I feel the same way if I complete the game.

If you were expecting a stats and loot game you bought the wrong game... I do recall the end of Chapter 1 being a bit follow X - Run! - Now go here - Run! But that pretty much dies away. So you'll probably be happy if you keep going.

The Witcher 2 (and the Witcher 1) are not traditional RPG games. In fact, i like them better that way, even if i like traditional RPG games.

Social Worker
    Witcher games are continuation of books. Books are, you know, 100% linear. So if they want to make worthy followup to books, with same bad ass protagonist, they cannot make it into sandbox elderscrolls-like game. So they opted for story based RPG. It is still less linear than most other story based RPGs. (I mean, what with those 16 possible states of the worlds by the end, and completely different second and party third chapter based on one decision, and countless other choices..)

In other news, assholes at Namco Bandai sue CDProjekt for going THQ for xbox release. I hope they lose a lot of money and CDProjekt gains on that.

I mean,

"Moreover, Namco Bandai has also ceased payments to CD Projekt RED for the game’s retail sales."

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/namco-...d-projekt-red/
    Last edited by Paul_cze; 07-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Neo Acoustic
    I don't know that Witcher series was based on books that does explain things. Actually now days it is hard to know know which game first the video game, movie, TV series, or the book.

Of all the google seaches I did with Witcher 2, I never saw a link to the books. I'll come back to the game a bit latter, after I check out some Steam Sale items.

That's because "witcher 2" is not the name of any book. The books are called The Last Wish, The Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, etc. The series is called sometimes "the Geralt of Rivia saga" and the main storyline that start after the first two books (which are short stories collection) is called "Blood of the Elves Saga" by fans.

Also, they are not fully published in USA, so you are not going to have a lot of results or info about them in Google, at least in english.

Social Worker
    First short story from Last Wish featuring Geralt is called The Witcher, but in original polish it is Wiedzmin.

BTW changelog of 1.3 is up.
    http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/67/index.html

It is fucking awesome!

Social Worker
    Yay! a Junk panel for your inventory!

New quest, and for the path i still have to play, cool.

Hell, i will post the changelog here

1. New FREE DLC – “A Sackful of Fluff” is a new quest in Chapter 2 of the game. To start the quest, visit the eccentric
    Elthon, who inhabits a solitary hut near the quarry outside Vergen. The quest will prove most rewarding to those who
    demonstrate patience.
    2. Game now supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:10 aspect ratios.
    3. Item storage has been added. Players can now store items from their Inventory at inns. To leave items in storage
    or collect previously stored items, talk to innkeepers.
    4. A „Junk‟ panel has been added to Inventory to provide greater clarity in item classification.
    5. New menu option added in „Extras‟ - enables players to view in-game animated sequences (flashbacks, memory
    flashes, dreams stolen by harpies) outside of the game.
    6. A „Quickload‟ option has been added under the F9 key.
    7. The game's HUD can now be hidden in order to produce HUD-free screenshots! On newly installed game copies, the
    option to hide/show the HUD is available by default under the 'H' key. Users who have modified the key assignments on their
    installations should go to the 'Input Settings' dialogue of the Witcher 2 Configuration Tool to assign a key to this option. Please
    note that the game cannot be played with the HUD hidden.
    8. Issue involving the game not running at 2560x1440 resolution has been resolved.
    9. Issues with nVidia 3D Vision technology have been resolved. Players no longer need to uninstall the related drivers.
    10. Key bindings have been corrected to enable configuration of mouse buttons for use by left-handed players.
    11. Assorted key binding options have been added to facilitate configuration of controls and quick access to various in-game
    panels.
    12. Issue related to game settings being reset to defaults upon patch installation has been resolved. Patches no longer reset
    game settings.
    13. The configuration file is no longer over-written when the launcher/configuration tool is patched and over-written.
    14. The launcher now closes while the game is being patched, thus eliminating the resulting game patching error.
    15. The launcher now closes completely and no longer continues to operate in the background.
    16. „Installed game version is invalid or incomplete‟ error in updater when free space on system drive is insufficient – message
    has been corrected to reflect more accurately the nature of the error.
    17. Mutagens are now alchemy ingredients. Minor mutagens drop more frequently than do major mutagens, though the overall
    mutagen drop rate has been reduced.

18. Corrections have been made in the mutagen drop rate and in Thorak‟s store.
    19. „Dragon‟ section of Prologue does not become available until after all assault-related sections have been completed,
    thereby softening the difficulty curve at the start of the game.
    20. During the fight against the kayran, when the bridge collapses, a map pin appears at the end of the bridge to facilitate
    player navigation and quest completion.
    21. Map pins have been corrected in many quests.
    22. Quen Sign slightly de-buffed – Sign dissipates 20% faster after foes land a blow. Assorted minor balance issues related to
    this Sign have also been resolved.
    23. Issue with Dragon‟s Dream bombs has been resolved. Damage to bosses from cast daggers has been reduced by one-
    half.

24. Several optimization improvements have been made in the tavern in Vergen.
    25. Problem with music accompanying „stealth‟ sequences has been resolved.
    26. Issue related to arm wrestling Bart Bargee has been resolved. Players can no longer win coin from this character
    endlessly.
    27. Option to fist fight woman praying at a statue in Vergen has been deactivated.
    28. Mini-game contestants at one of the in-game taverns now switch positions correctly without blocking one another.
    29. Problem involving Fenn‟s sword in combat has been resolved.
    30. Problems with herbalist‟s gloves have been resolved.
    31. In the Prologue, Geralt retains his steel long sword throughout, i.e., he is no longer automatically equipped with his default
    sword for the „Assault‟ sequence.
    32. Problem with some nekkers being immortal has been resolved.
    33. Issue with triggered black screens blocking game progress has been resolved.
    34. Interactions no longer appear on nekker nests after these have been destroyed.
    35. The “Scent of Incense” quest no longer shows up as failed after being completed successfully.
    36. Sudden switch to gameplay just prior to cut scene involving Cynthia and Philippa has been eliminated.
    37. Triss, Roche and Iorveth are now de-spawned before the final credits roll.
    38. Guard pacing cycles have been corrected.
    39. The Redanian messenger in Henselt‟s tent can no longer be killed, preventing him from re-spawning.
    40. Elf woman in Vergen no longer strikes a T-pose.
    41. Rotfiends feeding on corpses no longer re-spawn after corpse is burned.
    42. Several fixes have been made in the functioning of in-game populaces.
    43. Numerous problems with cameras in dialogue sequences have been resolved.
    44. Assorted corrections have been made in dialogue sequences (including King Foltest‟s gestures on the town walls in the
    Prologue).
    45. A progression break in the „In the Claws of Madness‟ quest has been eliminated.
    Last edited by TurinTur; 07-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Mad Chester
    YES, YES, YES ! so many good things
    tempted to play it again but want to see if any DLC with more content is expected in the near future

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    2. Game now supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:10 aspect ratios.
    3. Item storage has been added. Players can now store items from their Inventory at inns. To leave items in storage
    or collect previously stored items, talk to innkeepers.
    Awesome, I was about to ask here if the game had no item storage. All that timber and iron is useful for crafting, but very heavy.

Social Worker
    EDIT: nevermind... I apparently can't read!
    Last edited by Cormac; 07-13-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Just be aware of this before installing the patch:

A link about a patch from The Witcher 1...

Social Worker
    ah! :D
    hehe... sorry about that!