Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Imryll View Post
    I've concluded that it's not just QTE's and awkward controls that have put me off TW2. Still not saying I won't finish it eventually, but the lack of a pause feature that would allow me to jump up and run down to the other end of the house to take care of something comes perilously close to being a deal breaker. I'd prefer not to have to hold down control to pause in-game, as well, but it's not off-putting in the same way as the game's lack of accommodation for outside interruptions.
    I may be completely misunderstanding something, and if so, I apologize. I am confused about the inability to pause a game comment. Tapping the escape key worked here, and it would pause the game and sit at a menu screen until I said otherwise. This worked for both normal play and in battle with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Imryll View Post
    Also, is it possible to delete saves from inside the game?
    I haven't played with the latest update, but supposedly the newest patch allows the user the ability to remove saves from within game.

Edit: Pft, beaten by a few posts already.

Mad Chester
    Probably been answered 75 times here already... but since its not in the last 5 pages...

Is it worth playing Witcher 1? Or should I jump straight into Witcher 2 if I'm interested?

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Worth playing for the story but not necessary. It's a very different game, rather peculiar and harder to like. It's really cheap these days so just try playing for a while, see if you like it, and if not there's no harm in jumping ahead to the second game.

Hustle
    Well, good news. I shall certainly experiment with the escape key and delete. Thanks for the tips! They should make the game much more enjoyable for me. :)

Social Worker
    Pressing escape key to pause things is experimenting now?

wat

Social Worker
    BTW I like how on steam the game is advertised with Tom's review and 100/100 :-D

Mad Chester
    I started the game with verison 1.2, is it normal that I got a bunch of extra equipment? I have a whole lot of alchemical ingredients, sword oils and the blue stripes armor. Do you lose them after the prologue?

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    That's the DLC.

Social Worker
    They unbalance the beginning a little I would say, so you can simply ignore it and later sell it, or use it, or delete the files from game folder completely if you want them gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    Right now it has slipped a lot. While W2 it's still at 3rd, DNF is down at 16th.

Quality gives you a long tail of sales.
    And the Steam sale has moved it up to number one for a bit. Yay. Roll on Witcher 3 :)

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    They unbalance the beginning a little I would say, so you can simply ignore it and later sell it, or use it, or delete the files from game folder completely if you want them gone.
    Yeah, I used the potions and the ingredients, but I'm not using the blues stripes armor or the mage trousers, they sort of break the item progression.

It's a strange decision give your character that dlc in the beginning, they could have put it in a stash somewhere.

It feels great to hunt monsters in the flotsam forests using all the traps, conflagration is my favorite so far. The environments look so good, at some point I was climbing a hill and found a ledge that looked down to a beautiful part of the forest.

DLC is evil, of course. Even when it's this case they made it free and for everyone, it can break the balance of the game.

Mad Chester
    Great to see the game is still selling so well, hope they will release updated sales numbers at some point. I would have thought the potential market was somewhat small ... but that does not appear to be the case. Anyway, gogo Witcher 3 :)

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    I too am glad to see The Witcher 2's success -- bodes well for the health of the PC gaming marketplace. Nice to see the PC gaining some momentum as the aging console generation is receding in relative performance.

(Unfortunately I am not glad enough to actually buy it myself yet, going to try the first one first... my full-price games list this year is limited to Portal 2, Child of Eden, Batman: Arkham City, and Skyrim. Oh, and Diablo III if it ships this year, which I still hope it doesn't, because I don't want it to compete directly with Skyrim; I think both games might do better if released further apart.)
    Last edited by RepoMan; 07-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Mad Chester
    it was on sale (33% off) on steam

Also, I would not link the 1st and 2nd in your mind, the setting and world is the same but from a mechanical/graphical point of view they are quite different games. You can get the 1st one from Gog for $10.

Neo Acoustic
    Just started this today and jesus, I am just not getting the combat. I was prepared for it to be hard from all the earlier discussion, but a few hours in and it isn't clicking yet. I made it through the tutorial after dying a lot. Now I'm out in the woods and looking through a cave for an herb for a thing, fighting drowners and neckers and dying a lot. Constantly. I'm hammering "quicksave" after every damn monster. Replaying every fight about a half dozen times before I either quit in frustration or finally eke my way through with a sliver of health. This is not fun. What am I not getting?

I'm playing on "normal." I want a little challenge but man, all this save and reload is getting on my nerves.

Bwahahaha! Join the club :)

I don't think I can give specific advice - choose your battles perhaps? Are you doing the easiest first? There's a degree of randomness too, so leaving and returning can alter the number of foes in a location. Have you worked out how to use everything you have? I think you start in Flotsam with some traps etc which are quite helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Sheds View Post
    Just started this today and jesus, I am just not getting the combat. I was prepared for it to be hard from all the earlier discussion, but a few hours in and it isn't clicking yet. I made it through the tutorial after dying a lot. Now I'm out in the woods and looking through a cave for an herb for a thing, fighting drowners and neckers and dying a lot. Constantly. I'm hammering "quicksave" after every damn monster. Replaying every fight about a half dozen times before I either quit in frustration or finally eke my way through with a sliver of health. This is not fun. What am I not getting?

I'm playing on "normal." I want a little challenge but man, all this save and reload is getting on my nerves.
    Look up some youtube videos of the first combat in the courtyard to see how some of the experts do it. That gave me some great ideas for how to kite and mix spells and swordplay.

Neo Acoustic
    I don't know if I'm doing the easiest. It's the only thing I have on my quest list right now, so I'm just sort of following that path. I can't really choose battles--there are monsters in the way of what I need, and I have to get past them.

I've been using a whetstone for a damage boost. Like I said, I was expecting hard. I'm enjoying everything about the game so far, except for the combat. I just hope it's not a frustrating slog through the whole game.

I played on easy for a while in the prologue but that was a little too easy. Normal seems right in terms of enemies blocking and being hard to kill, which is fine, but at the same time I wish Geralt wasn't made of tissue paper.

What's the quest? I seem to recall Flotsam offering various challenges from the get-go. Not least you can always just go and explore the forest and toughen up/die horribly in some monster combat...

Mad Chester
    I'm probably doing something wrong, but maybe someone can help me. I got the riposte skill and tried it out against a bandit, but the only way I can make it work is to start parrying before the enemy starts his attack.

This seems weird to me because it's possible to parry an attack by pressing E long after my enemy's attack animation has started, just before he lands his blow, but that doesn't give me a chance to perform a riposte. Is that normal?

Also, can you stack different oils? Most of the time I wasn't able to but I recall having both a whetstone and an oil at the same time. However I wasn't able to reproduce that.

I can't remember exactly how riposte works but I believe you're right and the timing of your input is a bit strange. Someone else commented on that too. Tim James I think.

No, oils don't stack. A whetstone and an oil might though, can't remember.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Sheds View Post
    I played on easy for a while in the prologue but that was a little too easy. Normal seems right in terms of enemies blocking and being hard to kill, which is fine, but at the same time I wish Geralt wasn't made of tissue paper.
    Are you using signs ? (quen, axiie..)
    Are you using potions before going out? (swallow,rook..)
    Are you using parry ? Bombs, traps, dodging?

Are you reading your journal on monsters, about what effects whom? Are you using correct sword? Are you buying books on monsters to get all info?

Social Worker
    Yes, do the potions like Paul said. With all the herbs just laying around the forest you should be packed with stuff to make good potions.

I like the Lapwing+Golden Oriole (to buff and offset each other) + last potion of your choice like Wolf, Swallow or Tawny Owl.

Add in a whetstone or appropriate oil and you'll be a ready-to-rock killing machine. Also, Quen is seriously useful at the lower levels to absorb a hit or two and give you more time to dodge/roll during combat with multiple enemies.

Once you get used to the killing circus, it's very natural and intuitive.

Social Worker
    After dying like a dozen times during the prologue (on Normal) I have to wonder if something is wrong with my PC. While the 8800gt isn't state of the art anymore, I'm not playing on a high graphics settings.

I did eventually get better at combat, but I have to say I felt the first was much more fluid. I do way to much kiting for a character that is suppose to have super human speed, strength, and reflexes.

Mad Chester
    It took me a while to realise combat (in particular early on when you haven't yet developed either the in-game or human skills) is actually a slow, thoughtful, paced affair.
    it looks like an action/brawler combat style but it's actually more a tactical one

early on, Geralt lacks HP and resists to sustain a brawl, so avoiding getting hit should be your priority. Rushing in and clicking "attack" madly won't work

watch your opponent(s), wait for them to leave themselves open, mainly use "fast" attacks, 1-2 fast, 1 slow, roll, aard, fast etc

combat is pretty easy on 1vs1 (apart from bosses), just pary, interrupt him, use aard etc. Against several single opponents, use Quen all the time, it's certainly a bit "cheese" but will help tremendously, you also need to split them up, use bombs (the blinding type), roll and hit and run tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatatlantic View Post

I did eventually get better at combat, but I have to say I felt the first was much more fluid. I do way to much kiting for a character that is suppose to have super human speed, strength, and reflexes.
    He does have super human speed and reflexes, but he doesn't reach super hero levels. And he doesn't have super strength.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatatlantic View Post

Geralt does have super human speed and reflexes but not strength; his "real" strength is the knowledge on how to deal with monsters and how to concoct potions/craft traps that will give in an edge in combat, he's not Kratos who rushes in and kills 3 monsters with a swing of his sword. :P

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post
    I'm probably doing something wrong, but maybe someone can help me. I got the riposte skill and tried it out against a bandit, but the only way I can make it work is to start parrying before the enemy starts his attack.

This seems weird to me because it's possible to parry an attack by pressing E long after my enemy's attack animation has started, just before he lands his blow, but that doesn't give me a chance to perform a riposte. Is that normal?
    I don't know, it's probably normal. You'll have to experiment if you want to do something out of the ordinary.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by belgerog View Post

Also, can you stack different oils? Most of the time I wasn't able to but I recall having both a whetstone and an oil at the same time. However I wasn't able to reproduce that.
    Basically, hold the block button down (E), then right before the enemy attacks, you'll see a little icon flash up over them. Click the left mouse button, and you'll execute a riposte. You need to have the skill unlocked, of course, and the 2nd level gives you a 10% chance for an instant kill.

It's a pretty powerful skill, once you get good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    He does have super human speed and reflexes, but he doesn't reach super hero levels. And he doesn't have super strength.
    Dunno. In my game, he kept beating all those steroid-built, muscle bound guys in arm wrestling...