Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Account closed New Romantic
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    Those of you having controller problems realize there is a lock on button right?

I'm really happy that they made Quen and whatever the trap sign is useful this time although they made Quen a bit too useful and the mind control sign seems to be really ineffective in the times I've felt like it would have helped so far.

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Not to get all P&R, but really?
    Apparantly they used textures copied from islamic prayer mats and put them up in the brothel, among other places. Seems like CDP were unaware of what the designs on the mats represented and since it's not exactly a major part of the game they were kind enough to change them when the matter was brought to their attention.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Apparantly they used textures copied from islamic prayer mats and put them up in the brothel, among other places. Seems like CDP were unaware of what the designs on the mats represented and since it's not exactly a major part of the game they were kind enough to change them when the matter was brought to their attention.
    Classy move! No snark intended.

-Tim

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    So I applied patch 1.2, and now the DLC menu option has disappeared from my launcher, even though the lightning bolt icon in the upper left corner says I'm online. Is that intentional?

Also, I suppose we can now delete the big troll.dlc file from our Documents\Witcher 2\Downloads folder since the equivalent file is already in the Witcher 2 installation directory, yes? The patch really should do this automatically.

Social Worker
    Is it my imagination, or was Quen nefed to the ground this patch? In my play session tonight it was removed by the first hit, every time.

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nahr View Post
    So I applied patch 1.2, and now the DLC menu option has disappeared from my launcher, even though the lightning bolt icon in the upper left corner says I'm online. Is that intentional?
    Intentional. The register option also disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by maxle View Post
    Is it my imagination, or was Quen nefed to the ground this patch? In my play session tonight it was removed by the first hit, every time.
    Really? Can you go to the character screen and read the effect of the ability now? I suppose we can compare with the manual, written for 1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    Intentional. The register option also disappeared.
    Huh. So that's it for Witcher 2 DLC or what? I don't really care either way, it's not like I need any more DLC, I'm just surprised that they first implemented this feature and now completely removed it.

??

The dlc (both the old and new) is being included in patches.

I meant upcoming DLC, not the existing one that's included in the patches. Usually companies make a DLC delivery system because they want to keep selling stuff to owners of their games. If they planned from the start to give away everything in free patches, why did they ever bother to create the DLC manager in the first place?

Because the DLC was planned to be free... but only for registered users. Like your had to register the game to get the enhanced edition patch with the Witcher 1. But as the register system was pretty broken, they have deactivated, at least for now.

Naeblis,

I think Chris' question was more forward looking. CDP made an announcement that all their Witcher 2 DLC would be free. For example: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/al...-troll-troubl/

"Let me announce that all our DLCs will be FREE. All of them. If anything will be for purchase, those will be expansion packs."
    Like Chris, I took it to mean that we'd be getting more than Troll trouble and the retailer specific DLC. So I think his question really was whether that meant this is it for upcoming Witcher 2 DLC.

Wendelius

But.. i said the same.

"the DLC was planned to be free..."

He, he. I think we must be meaning the same thing but in different ways. :)

I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe I'm just missing something. To put it another way: Do you think there will be more DLC for The Witcher 2 in the future? That this disabling of the menu is temporary? It's my totally uninformed impression that it should be. But I don't recall whether CDP have announced any other DLC for the game already.

Wendelius

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    But.. i said the same.

"the DLC was planned to be free..."

But you didnt put any quotes or links!

Social Worker
    There will be more DLC (all improvements and new content made for x360 version will get released for PC for free), but it will probably be delivered in patches just like patch 1.2 is delivered. No need for that DLC submenu of launcher which only confused people.No need because they changed their mind about needing to be registered and what not to be eligible for DLC/patches.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
    But you didn't put any quotes or links!
    What? I thought my words were sacred (and revered) in this forum.

:(

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by maxle View Post
    As a heavy Quen user. I am wondering if I should remain on launch.exe from GOG or patch up to 1.2 and get DRM'ed again. Game seemed to load faster without, hence my aversion.

Any chance you've confirmed if Quen is "balanced"?

1.0 Reflects 50% damage (on upgrade) and blocks all damage.
    1.2 ?

Didn't see any mentions about it on GameFaqs. Seems like blocking is improved/imba in 1.2 as it no longer uses vigor so might be viable alternative.

Blocking uses vigor. Just less vigor.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by instant0 View Post
    or patch up to 1.2 and get DRM'ed again.
    There is no longer any DRM for any version.

At this point, and in particular after releasing all DLCs to all users, the GoG version is pretty much the same as any other version.

Re: DLCs, the pants are stupidly overpowered when compared to any other "magic" enhancing item in-game. And you get them from the start.

Really wish game developpers would stop releasing game balance breaking items just to please retailers (and no, I am not using them, threw them away, what's the point)

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    There is no longer any DRM for any version.

At this point, and in particular after releasing all DLCs to all users, the GoG version is pretty much the same as any other version.

Re: DLCs, the pants are stupidly overpowered when compared to any other "magic" enhancing item in-game. And you get them from the start.

Really wish game developpers would stop releasing game balance breaking items just to please retailers (and no, I am not using them, threw them away, what's the point)
    Ah yea, Just discovered that there was a 1.1. patch which removed it. Haven't used the launcher.exe since I got the gog.exe, so missed all the patches since retail. Guess its the Luddite in me, holding back.

Now I get a message saying "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete". So I guess I'm stuck at 1.1 for the time being. Oh whell.

Agree on the starter equipment. I haven't replaced anything except the chest.

Mad Chester
    weird, it all installed smoothly for me and I have the GoG version

Get the 1.1 patch from GoG, install it
    after that the game will automatically offer to download the 1.2 patch. You probably need to be logged in as administrator to be able to install it.

From the patch notes, getting 1.2 is worth it, especially if you have a hair fetish :)

I've seen someone else mention that error so you can probably google it.

Social Worker
    @Alistair;
    Yea, found a thread on GOG with some problems and possible fixes. Just not sure I want to risk it, since it works with 1.1 so far.

Think I'll finish the game on 1.1, then patch to 1.2 and play it again if it works, and try the alternate choices - assuming I remember what I picked the first time (Good thing the edition I have came with the game guide)

Supposedly deleting the Troll.dlc before patching to 1.2 should allow it to work.

Edit: Fixed page break =) \o/

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by instant0 View Post
    As a heavy Quen user. I am wondering if I should remain on launch.exe from GOG or patch up to 1.2 and get DRM'ed again. Game seemed to load faster without, hence my aversion.

Any chance you've confirmed if Quen is "balanced"?

1.0 Reflects 50% damage (on upgrade) and blocks all damage.
    1.2 ?

Didn't see any mentions about it on GameFaqs. Seems like blocking is improved/imba in 1.2 as it no longer uses vigor so might be viable alternative.
    I am a heavy quen user as well. I don't notice any nerfing. Been in quite a few battles since the second patch and it is holding up for me.

Surprised they dropped this to $40 on Steam etc - word of mouth was just picking up. Surely the kind of player who appreciates a deep and rich experience is also the player who has some money to spend on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Surprised they dropped this to $40 on Steam etc - word of mouth was just picking up. Surely the kind of player who appreciates a deep and rich experience is also the player who has some money to spend on it.
    It's a promotion they announced lasting throughout E3 only, isn't it?

Wendelius

New Romantic
    How do you use mutagens? The manual says to go into attributes and apply them, but I see no way of doing that...

Social Worker
    as you skill up some of the skills will have a tiny circle next to the big circle with the skill icon, into those you can put mutagens (items). You'll find mutagens from kills as well as be able to create them through alchemy if you have the 2% chance of creating mutagens when doing alchemy.

Apparently it is very powerful with the correct build.

So far I only found 1 mutagen slot in skills, in the Witcher tree, next to dagger throwing I believe it was.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinj View Post
    How do you use mutagens? The manual says to go into attributes and apply them, but I see no way of doing that...
    Mutagens can be applied only to the final two abilities of the training tree, the final three abilities from the magic and swordman tree, and teh final 5 of the alchemist tree.