Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

  1. #2161
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    294
    Why does he carry two swords? Bla bla bla ... damn I hate walking around in Lobinden when the kids are about.

  2. #2162
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I might be remembering wrong. I thought ME2 had "solved" this. If no other game does it better, then nevermind.
    No, you were dead on with your observation. There is a very noticeable pause between the delivery of some lines in the game. I would say it drives me up the wall because everything else is so polished but that would be incorrect. Visually the game is very polished but everything else could use a bit of work (some areas more than others, obviously).

  3. #2163
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    8,365
    I bet you guys always see the CGI in movies as well, right? And the reflection in the window of the cameraman? ;)

    I never see those things, which I guess is a good thing. I honestly didn't see a single thing that was out of place in W2 but now that you say it, sure, I can see what you mean.

    Sometimes I wish I didn't read threads like this.

  4. #2164
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    19,398
    Yeah I think we've done the dialogue to death at this point.

  5. #2165
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,689
    Quote Originally Posted by inkai View Post
    Why does he carry two swords? Bla bla bla ... damn I hate walking around in Lobinden when the kids are about.
    "Caaaan giiiiiiirllss beeeee witchers tooooooooo?!?!?!?"

    Probably going to be the worst VO line of the year. Graaaagh.

  6. #2166
    Der Schulde How To Go TurinTur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,369
    I think i liked the kids better in Witcher 1, their animations and lines.
    Last edited by TurinTur; 05-29-2011 at 11:50 PM.

  7. #2167
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Hrothgar
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post
    I think i liked the kind better in Witcher 1, their animations and lines.
    "It's a witcher, hide your women!"

    Again, still missing TW1's manwhore Geralt.

  8. #2168
    New Romantic Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,015
    I thought the kids were a pretty great idea in both games.

    The little girl's "I'm a drownerette! Raaaaaar!" was pretty funny when these things called drowners had just started kicking your ass.

  9. #2169
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,347
    finally reached act 3 on 2nd playthrough, taking the other branche of the story and holy shit are things different.

    Feels like having 1.5 "hidden" chapter instead of a "simple" different path. However, wondering what's the point ultimately and whether it's really such a good thing.

    There's offering meaningful choices and there's hiding 25% of the game behind a single decision. And making you play again through a whole act to get to that point again (albeit, I suppose amongst my 700+ saves, one might be the right one)

    In this instance, I think they have overdone it, the part of the content you miss is either too large or too small, i.e. either provide a full additional chapter available through one single storyline or reduce massively the amount of "differentiated" storyline.

    That would still leave plenty of possible choices without having this weird sense of "oh shit, I missed 25% of the game". Plus, there are some weird crossover between both branches of the story with some things only really making sense if you already have information that you can only gain from the other branche.

  10. #2170
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Hrothgar
    Posts
    1,495
    Well, finished the game some minutes ago, my GOTY without any doubt. I think Skyrim won't be able to come near TW2 in terms of enthralling me so much, the last RPG I enjoyed this much was ME2.

    Anyway, time for a second playthrough, this time siding with Iorveth.
    @farfrael: without going into spoiler territory, which is the path with more content, Roche or Iorveth?

  11. #2171
    How To Go triggercut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    13,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Digby View Post
    Well, finished the game some minutes ago, my GOTY without any doubt. I think Skyrim won't be able to come near TW2 in terms of enthralling me so much, the last RPG I enjoyed this much was ME2.

    Anyway, time for a second playthrough, this time NOT FUCKING PUTTING SPOILERS IN
    @farfrael: without going into spoiler territory, which is the path with more content, NOT PUTTING FUCKING SPOILERS IN or NOT PUTTING FUCKING SPOILERS IN?
    Jesus! Spoiler alert goddammit!

  12. #2172
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
    "Caaaan giiiiiiirllss beeeee witchers tooooooooo?!?!?!?"

    Probably going to be the worst VO line of the year. Graaaagh.
    You're right, I almost forgot that one.

    The funniest one liner is still the guy who says "Did you say something or just fart?"

    Cracks me up every time.

  13. #2173
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston to Seattle
    Posts
    1,030
    Hi all - I haven't read many of the posts in this thread because I want to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if someone else has already asked this question.

    How important would you say it is to finish Witcher 1 before playing Witcher 2?

    It's not that I don't want to play the first one. I actually want to, badly. However, I've restarted it three times now, and right around the point where I go to the swamps for the first time, I'm reminded why I never finish... I'm plagued by regular CTDs that annoy me so much that I just stop playing. (These happen throughout the game, not just when I'm in the swamps... it's just that I'm usually that far in before I reach my frustration point.) And the problem is either that I haven't quicksaved in awhile, or it's the saving itself that causes the crashes. Specifically, the crashes always happen when I'm either zoning or saving, and it's irritating. This happened on my old Vista PC, as well as my new Windows 7 PC. I've tried a few of the "fixes" I've seen posted, but none of them seem to work.

    So I'd really like to play Witcher 2, but will I be missing huge chunks of the story by not finishing the first one?

  14. #2174
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Joao Pessoa, PB, Brazil
    Posts
    574
    It's definitely better to play TW1 before TW2 since the story of the second game begins right after the ending of the first game. It's not necessary though and the developers even said that they tried to ensure that TW2 would also be appealing to people that never played the first game or read the books. In your case I'd say to just go ahead and play TW2 since you can't complete the first game. I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it anyway.

  15. #2175
    Account closed Social Worker
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansey View Post
    Hi all - I haven't read many of the posts in this thread because I want to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if someone else has already asked this question.

    How important would you say it is to finish Witcher 1 before playing Witcher 2?

    It's not that I don't want to play the first one. I actually want to, badly. However, I've restarted it three times now, and right around the point where I go to the swamps for the first time, I'm reminded why I never finish... I'm plagued by regular CTDs that annoy me so much that I just stop playing. (These happen throughout the game, not just when I'm in the swamps... it's just that I'm usually that far in before I reach my frustration point.) And the problem is either that I haven't quicksaved in awhile, or it's the saving itself that causes the crashes. Specifically, the crashes always happen when I'm either zoning or saving, and it's irritating. This happened on my old Vista PC, as well as my new Windows 7 PC. I've tried a few of the "fixes" I've seen posted, but none of them seem to work.

    So I'd really like to play Witcher 2, but will I be missing huge chunks of the story by not finishing the first one?
    Naw, just watch the final cutscene and pick a save that matches the decisions you made as closely as possible (there's not too many choices).

    It's not like MAss Effect, where I'd try and dissuade anyone from playing the second without the first.

  16. #2176
    New Romantic Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,015
    Finished! Woohoo! Now off to the spoiler thread :) I agree with everyone else in this thread though - fabulous game.

    I think I died more in the prologue than I did in Chapters 2 & 3 put together though...
    Last edited by Alistair; 05-30-2011 at 08:49 PM.

  17. #2177
    Hustle
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    421
    Just finished it too. It is now my all time favorite CRPG, in fact nothing else is in its class. Everything was great - the graphics, the settings, the art and visual design, the writing, the plotting, even the voice acting (english) with few exceptions. BZ CD Projekt Red!

    I even liked the style of the animated interludes - made me think of medieval fairy tales and legends. One difference from Witcher 1 stands out - that game was slower paced for most of it, and dealt much more with Geralt's profession of monster slaying. I liked its treatment in the first game - it gave it a very mythic or folk tale/ ghost story feel in some places, without the spell being broken by RPG statistics munchkinism. There was less of that in TW2, not that I am complaining though - the pacing was tighter and politics was in the fore. The game's authors can definitely write good political plots.

  18. #2178
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    5,387
    Heard they patched out the DRM in this? What are people's thoughts?

    I know plenty of companies and people have talked about what a good idea it would be to include heavy DRM and then patch it out after the first couple of weeks (after it is inevitably broken) but this is one of the only times I've actually heard it happening.

  19. #2179
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Hrothgar
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Heard they patched out the DRM in this? What are people's thoughts?

    I know plenty of companies and people have talked about what a good idea it would be to include heavy DRM and then patch it out after the first couple of weeks (after it is inevitably broken) but this is one of the only times I've actually heard it happening.
    Personally I think it's idiotic; DRM/copy protection is ALWAYS cracked and I remember reading lots of people had problems patching/updating/installing extra content because of it.

    Plus, the logic behind such move seems... illogical. "Yeah, let's release a game with DRM so who actually suffers with it are our paying customers and when the pirates finally crack it (which invariably happens on release day) we'll patch it out"

    That said CDP is one of those companies that I really believe have the capacity to create rabid and loyal fans and as such I hope they learn from this release and cater to their fans properly, something they have done well enough so far.

  20. #2180
    Der Schulde How To Go TurinTur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,369
    It was a curious case, because in one hand patching out the DRM after a week it's a very positive thing, in the other hand that only week where the game had some kind of drm (online activation, registering to download the dlc) was a week full of problems. A week without problems for pirate users.

    It shows how even one week of DRM can be a bad choice.

  21. #2181
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Teplice, Czech Republic
    Posts
    3,834
    They justify using DRM on non-goged versions by stopping pre-release piracy - but..wouldn't it be enough to simply not include exe file in non-gog versions and force its download, without using the DRM ? Because it was necessary to download 50MB of data on release, which I assume was exe file, so the DRM does not really make sense to me in that "stopping pre-release piracy" excuse.

  22. #2182
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Hrothgar
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    They justify using DRM on non-goged versions by stopping pre-release piracy - but..wouldn't it be enough to simply not include exe file in non-gog versions and force its download, without using the DRM ? Because it was necessary to download 50MB of data on release, which I assume was exe file, so the DRM does not really make sense to me in that "stopping pre-release piracy" excuse.
    I understand your point but even then it wouldn't delay the pirate version; pirated/cracked versions usually come out on the scene either on release day or even before release because someone either leaked the game to a group or someone in the group bought the game and cracked it... which again means that in the end of the day no DRM can stop piracy, ever, only delay it (occasionally) and in the process antagonize some paying customers.

  23. #2183
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,773
    Sorry if someone has asked this already:

    I'm just getting started, I'm a little ways in on chapter 1, and I find myself completely overladen with leather, cloth and lumber. Is there any good way for me to know how much of this stuff I should keep around and how much I should sell? Is there any reliable place to store this all?

  24. #2184
    Der Schulde How To Go TurinTur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,369
    There is now way to store it.

    So just take it and sell it, and only left around 4-5 pieces of each thing.

    But really, use a weight mod. There is one that reduces the weight of just the silly stuff (iron ore, leahter, cloth, etc).

  25. #2185
    Hustle
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    417
    I really haven't had much problem with weight, there's no reason for me to carry around iron or leather or extra armor.

  26. #2186
    Account closed New Romantic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    Posts
    5,255

  27. #2187
    Der Schulde How To Go TurinTur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,369
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...60-in-november

    Retail shops breaking the "surprise" by some hours? (GOG new announcement is in 3 hours).

  28. #2188
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    19,231
    Great news for console owners that don't want or can't run it on their PCs. They can get a taste of an actual "mature" RPG game.

  29. #2189
    Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bath, England
    Posts
    1,737
    D'ya think we should have a new thread for the console versions?

  30. #2190
    Der Schulde How To Go TurinTur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,369
    It's still not official. Wait until the GOG/CD Projekt news in a few hours. Just in case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •