Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
    You never, ever HAVE to sneak around, and there are no ways (like talents or equipment) to "improve" sneaking, either.

I mostly found sneaking annoying because I'd be too close to a torch and while trying to get behind a guy, he'd ALWAYS see me, and instead of attacking I'd keep toggling the damn torches back and forth. Eventually, I gave up and just fought my way out of the prison, and had a lot of fun doing it. :)
    It's correct that you don't have to but there is a section in chap 1 where sneaking helps develop the backstory (and nets some loot) and fighting is not an option.

In relation to chap 2, it depends on which branche you follow. There is potentially another section albeit slightly more straightforward if I remember correctly.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by farfrael View Post
    In relation to chap 2, it depends on which branche you follow. There is potentially another section albeit slightly more straightforward if I remember correctly.
    There's two potential stealth sequences in Chapter 2. One is completely optional, the other is only required if you make a particular choice.

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Damn, so many months doing the Enhanced Edition and they have put new bugs.
    If you can hear but can't see the cutscenes narrated by Dandelion, try to put the game in 16:9 ratio in the game launcher options.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by TurinTur View Post
    If you can hear but can't see the cutscenes narrated by Dandelion, try to put the game in 16:9 ratio in the game launcher options.
    Surprisingly, whilst the 1st one had the problem (sound but no video) to play in 4:3, the 2nd one (for the end of act 1) played without problems. Go figure.

You don't say?

I love CDProject Red to bits and the games they make but man ... sometimes, they are really let down by the most basic technical problems.

Such as not playing all the brand new "intermission" videos if you are not using a 16:9 aspect ratio.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witc..._videos_broken

So that opening cinematic. I'm perplexed that so few folks have remarked on how it helps the player through the early stages of the game.

I mean...yes, yes. It looks freaking great, and as a promotional tool for the EE version of the game on 360 and PC you couldn't ask for better. Let's say, though, you're like me, and sometimes have difficulty remember fantasy names (and the importance imputed to same) of characters you never met and won't meet.

That was me in the original version of TW2. There's a cutscene at the beginning of Chapter 1 in both versions of the game, with the title card of "4 Months Earlier". When I first played the game, that scene made zero sense to me. Who's head was that. Why was it in a crown? Was that Foltest? That didn't look like his crown...and I'm pretty sure he didn't get ol' King Sister Lover's head when he killed him, either. I was confused. I'm guessing there was a journal entry that mentioned someone named Demavend. I know I heard folks like Triss and Dandelion talking about him. I also know that I didn't connect him in any way with the plot, my over-arching quest in the game, or any motivations that I as a player or Geralt as a character might have.

So. Now in the EE you get that amazing cinematic, and now when the later cutscene with Iorveth and Big Boy plays, you know *exactly* who's head that is, and *exactly* what importance is ascribed to him in the story. That's a neat--and difficult--feat to pull off.

See, you care about Foltest and what happens to him because of the interactive nature of the Prologue. Your motivations as player become one with Geralt's as a character because you participated in saving the King throughout the Prologue, only to be left helpless at the end. Well done, that. The trick is, they've always wanted us to think strongly of Demavend too--in fact, the events as they play out in Chapter 2 kind of need to the player be thinking about the title of the game a great deal, and the whole "Who's next?" aspect of things.

In the first version of the game, I guess Geralt puts those things together, and it becomes a piece of his motivation in the quest as a character...but as a player I had trouble sorting out who Demavend was or why I should care, and that separated my motivation from the guy I was controlling in the game. CDPR had to fix things so that as a player I would know who Demavend was and care about what happened to him in a larger context, without the participation aspect that's there with Foltest's fate. That's a tall order for a cinematic. That it succeeded beyond any rights is something to be hailed, and why I'm bloviating so much about it. ;)

With that new intro, you get all sorts of foreshadowing with Foltest throughout the prologue that wasn't there before. When that intro cutscene to chapter 1 plays, the whole plot makes a ton of sense, and when folks talk about stupid, doomed Demavend of Aedirn, you know exactly who they're talking about and vividly envision his passing because that cinematic is so amazing, and it ties together everything wondefully in the game's tricky political plot going forward.
    Last edited by triggercut; 04-23-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut View Post
    This I like!

It's a good point triggercut, but having come to the game new on the 360 I lack any comparison with the original opening cinematic. What was it like?

Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
    It's a good point triggercut, but having come to the game new on the 360 I lack any comparison with the original opening cinematic. What was it like?
    There wasn't one, per se.

The game started with the quote from the book about Witchers, and then the summation stuff...which was also kind of confusing to those unfamiliar with the books.

Mad Chester
    There wasn't any.
    Only the text about witchers being monsters and the dream sequence. So, unless you had paid some attention to the setting and lore beforehand it was easy to get lost.

In fact, here's how bad my disconnect was with those key plot elements my first time through the game: when the new intro cinematic was released 2 months ago, the CDPR folks discussed it as depicting a key event in the game that originally was only discussed by the characters in the original edition of TW2.

After I watched the cinematic, I had no idea who was getting offed or what key event it was...and I'd played well into chapter 2 in my first attempt at the game.

Yes, I see your point. I would have been much more at sea without that cinematic.

How To Go
    The game's narrative has been smoothed out considerably in the EE, most notably due to that intro cinematic, but also with Dandelion's chapter bridges. Much less abrupt overall, and the new content in Chapter 3 fleshes out a lot of the events leading up to the situation you're faced with in that chapter.

Mad Chester
    music from the opening cinematic available for download:
    http://thewitcher.com/public/files/d...he_Temeria.mp3

Choir music:
    http://thewitcher.com/public/files/d...inalboards.mp3

For once, something good out of kotaku, 3D characters render (Letho looks seriously badass):
    http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-2/

Has anybody seen sales numbers for the xbox version? PC versions appears to be doing pretty well on steam so far.
    Last edited by farfrael; 04-23-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Question: Are the pigs in the mud in Floatsam new?

Social Worker
    In fact, here's how bad my disconnect was with those key plot elements my first time through the game: when the new intro cinematic was released 2 months ago, the CDPR folks discussed it as depicting a key event in the game that originally was only discussed by the characters in the original edition of TW2.

After I watched the cinematic, I had no idea who was getting offed or what key event it was...and I'd played well into chapter 2 in my first attempt at the game.
    Yea, I was kind of hoping that cinematic wasn't the 'new intro' either. The movie only gives context in service of playing far enough into the game to actually recognize that it does show a key event and moment that begins the story. Hell, players won't even recognize the 'assassin' from the movie until 4 hours deep, post prologue.

Essentially it is still beholden to the player to dig deep into the codex from the beginning, moreso than what the core game provides.

Social Worker
    Question: Are the pigs in the mud in Floatsam new?
    Yes.

long post
    Ha, I did not have any problems knowing who Demavend was or following the story..I guess reading those seven books twice helped.

Has anybody seen sales numbers for the xbox version? PC versions appears to be doing pretty well on steam so far.
    Number 1 on UK chart, more is unknown afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Ha, I did not have any problems knowing who Demavend was or following the story..I guess reading those seven books twice helped.
    Huh.

You think maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by BDGE View Post
    Yea, I was kind of hoping that cinematic wasn't the 'new intro' either. The movie only gives context in service of playing far enough into the game to actually recognize that it does show a key event and moment that begins the story. Hell, players won't even recognize the 'assassin' from the movie until 4 hours deep, post prologue.

Essentially it is still beholden to the player to dig deep into the codex from the beginning, moreso than what the core game provides.
    I disagree completely.

In that cinematic, it's pretty clearly a king being assassinated, which is the title of the game. So there's that.

And then the game opens up and you're in a dungeon, and being interrogated, and it quickly becomes apparent that something went very, very wrong at the end of the events you're describing. In the very first "flashback sequence" in Triss's tent Foltest features prominently and whether you know how things go or not you're likely thinking "oh man, this dude's supposed to protect a King and now he's in the dungeon. Uh oh...."

That's five minutes into the game. Even someone as "fantasy-world dense" as my buddy Jimbo (who's far smarter than me in non-elvish gamey stuff) picked up on that right away, playing the game for the first time in the EE.

That opening cinematic, and then calling back to it at the end of the prologue is a fantastic dramatic device. It totally works.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by BDGE View Post
    Er...what? He's at the end of the prologue battle flashback, barely an hour into the game.

The three people I've talked to at work today who started it over the weekend disagree, and this is the first Witcher anything they've touched. As triggercut says, it's pretty obvious what's happening and it informs everything that happens in the prologue.

Anyone remember the moment when you are offered an elixir by some alchemists in Floatsam, who says want to examine you in Wyzima in a pair of years? What was the consequence of that, if you agree?

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Number 1 on UK chart, more is unknown afaik.
    Yeah! so happy it's doing well.
    Also agree with triggercut's analysis.

Neo Acoustic
    You get a Critical Effects Mutagen. Otherwise it doesn't affect anything else in the game. Some people think whether or not you agree might affect Witcher 3.

Anyone remember the moment when you are offered an elixir by some alchemists in Floatsam, who says want to examine you in Wyzima in a pair of years? What was the consequence of that, if you agree?
    It's a mutagen, that's all.

Originally I think they were put into the game as part of the extended tutorial in Flotsam. Remember that early on after your arrival in Flotsam they basically steer you into the crafting system with the silver sword being built to replace the one you lost in the Prologue. The critical effects mutagen was supposed to be the part where you use the mutagen system in character development.

I think.

It was so poorly explained/hinted/documented that most players passed right over it, and now in the game's proper tutorial they have a thing where they give you a mutagen and have you use it, which helps explain that mechanic a bit better. I guess they just decided to leave those fellows in the game even afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynxara View Post
    You get a Critical Effects Mutagen. Otherwise it doesn't affect anything else in the game. Some people think whether or not you agree might affect Witcher 3.
    Oh, ok. It's true, now i have that mutagen in my inventory.

I never thought about this until you guys brought it up, but do any mutagens have negative effects? Those two scientist guys seemed to stress that much more testing was needed and that they would watch Geralt carefully. Can you just use any mutagen without heed, or might there be side effects?

Social Worker
    I disagree completely.

In that cinematic, it's pretty clearly a king being assassinated, which is the title of the game. So there's that.

And then the game opens up and you're in a dungeon, and being interrogated, and it quickly becomes apparent that something went very, very wrong at the end of the events you're describing. In the very first "flashback sequence" in Triss's tent Foltest features prominently and whether you know how things go or not you're likely thinking "oh man, this dude's supposed to protect a King and now he's in the dungeon. Uh oh...."

That's five minutes into the game. Even someone as "fantasy-world dense" as my buddy Jimbo (who's far smarter than me in non-elvish gamey stuff) picked up on that right away, playing the game for the first time in the EE.

That opening cinematic, and then calling back to it at the end of the prologue is a fantastic dramatic device. It totally works.
    Yea, what do I know I guess.

I did play Witcher 1 through, so my comments are just projecting what newcomers may think. Good on them if they had no troubles getting their bearings with all the names, relationships, and context thrust at the player in the initial hours. I do recall a LOT of people posting last year about how confused they were by the prologue, if EE fixed that, awesome!

Well, it's a bit better than before, but I suspect the *shock* of totally new players is still there. They don't know how is Triss, who is Zoltan or Dandelion, which king is from which kindgom, etc.
    In that sense, even if the story is totally apart from the Witcher 1, I still recommend to play it to have a better context of the setting, the politics, your friends, etc, it actually makes The Witcher 2 more enjoyable, I think.

Neo Acoustic
    Can you just use any mutagen without heed, or might there be side effects?
    Side effects aren't really a thing in gameplay terms. At worst, you might spend a slot on a mutagen and then find something you'd wished you'd used instead.

Mad Chester
    I never thought about this until you guys brought it up, but do any mutagens have negative effects? Those two scientist guys seemed to stress that much more testing was needed and that they would watch Geralt carefully. Can you just use any mutagen without heed, or might there be side effects?
    AFAIK, mutagens do not have any negative side effects and since the mutagen you get appears to be a perfectly standard one, there is no reason for it to generate negative side effects. Now, when TW3 comes around, expect to grow a 2nd head etc :)

I think triggercut's theory about these 2 characters makes sense. Although, I quite like how they add that extra touch of flavour to the game.
    Last edited by farfrael; 04-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.