Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Han Solo Adventures

Account closed Social Worker

Han Solo Adventures

Watch This.

Does the thought of a freeware, point-and-click adventure game starring Han Solo put a tingle in your naughty bits? Me, too. Luckily for us, one Stacy Davidson is working on exactly that. The website for the actual project is over at http://www.hansoloadventures.com/ and I recommend you attend it post haste. The full game will not feature voice acting, but is described as "interactive fan fiction in the classic adventure game tradition".

Good on you, Stacy.

Social Worker
    Hmm. Is there any reason not to expect LucasArts to stomp on this with a quickness? Because by default, it seems like they would have to.

Well, it's the weekend, so I imagine we have until Monday before the lawyers come back to work and crush our dreams. In the mean time, though!

Account closed How To Go
    So awesome.

Social Worker
    This looks great, although from the title I was kind of hoping it was based on the book of the same name, which has some of the greatest Star Wars novels ever written: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Solo...1564256&sr=8-1

Account closed New Romantic
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    It's amazing people still create stuff like this without bothering to contact the copyright owners first.

World's End Supernova
    As long as it's free he may be allowed to finish it. Depends on LA, of course, but they have to weigh the pros and cons of telling him to stop. It probably also depends on what their own plans are.

How To Go
    I predict it's the use of photos and stills from the film that's going to force Lucas' lawyers into action. I'd be shocked if they let this continue development unmolested.

How To Go
    This will be shut down within the week.

How To Go
    Even more shockingly, something actually worthwhile to read in the video comments:

"a hive of SCUMM and villainy"

I LOLed.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Adree View Post
    It's amazing people still create stuff like this without bothering to contact the copyright owners first.
    Bleh, as if you could expect a meaningful answer. Either they'd send a template refusal letter or they wouldn't reply at all.

The clever way would be to just finish this before ever creating a site about it. If you receive a cnd letter AFTER release, who cares? It's out there, and there's always be a way to download it from some czech or russion or whatever site, or a one-click-hoster.
    _____
    rezaf

How To Go
    Yeah, I certainly never understand why people who make this stuff let on they're doing it before they're done other than hubris. Keep it quiet until you are completely finished and bug tested and then put it out there.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Long View Post
    Yeah, I certainly never understand why people who make this stuff let on they're doing it before they're done other than hubris. Keep it quiet until you are completely finished and bug tested and then put it out there.
    My guess:

Social Worker
    Trying to make money on this pretty much garuntee's its going to get crushed. I dont understand how someone can grab all this material and then try to make money on it.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if Lucas doesn't shut it down regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Adree View Post
    Well, asking will get a definite no. I guess this way they feel they have a better chance since the Internets will be on their side? Hopefully their main motivation for doing it was for fun or as an exercise.
    Last edited by Reed; 08-29-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    Even more shockingly, something actually worthwhile to read in the video comments:

"a hive of SCUMM and villainy"

I LOLed.
    Which, of course, Kotaku promptly stole for the title of their article on it.

Madison, WI Gamertag: Dr JonDanger Steam: Jon_Danger
    That is a pretty obvious pun.

New Romantic
    A donate button and even a large google ad space at the bottom of the page? It's great if you love Star Wars/Han that much that you're willing to pour some blood, sweat, and tears into making a free game like this, but this individual is making, or trying to make, money off of it. It's a LucasArts property, their most valued property, and they're going to clobber him with the CND club so hard he'll wake up two states away.

New Romantic
    Did Lucas ever stamp down on, for instance, Troopers or George Lucas In Love? I was under the impression that he was fairly lenient with fan-made content as long as it was free and respectful/positive toward the source material. I dunno, though.

New Romantic
    Weren't there unofficial sequels to Zak McCraken and Fate of Atlantis? Did Lucasarts put a stop to those?

Social Worker

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Cameron View Post
    Did Lucas ever stamp down on, for instance, Troopers or George Lucas In Love? I was under the impression that he was fairly lenient with fan-made content as long as it was free and respectful/positive toward the source material. I dunno, though.
    Those were parody (which falls comfortably under fair use) and satire (which falls somewhat less comfortably under fair use, but is still quite defensible). LucasArts COULD have had their legions of lawyers battledance 'em to death had they wanted to (that is, suing until the other guy ran out of money), but ignoring it posed no danger of setting a precedent, and George liked it. Plus anyone caught battledancing in public will be arrested and sent to jail.

The problem with stuff like Han Solo Adventures is that letting it slide could conceivably hurt LA's case in the future if some dev decided to start producing big-budget Star Wars games without permission.

Account closed New Romantic
    Yeah, because Zak McCraken is pretty much equivalent to Star Wars.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Grey View Post
    Weren't there unofficial sequels to Zak McCraken and Fate of Atlantis? Did Lucasarts put a stop to those?
    No, probably because those projects have strict rules about not taking donations.

Also, those two IPs aren't anywhere near Star Wars in scale.

Social Worker
    LA never did shut down the Battlefield Star Wars mod, even when they had the battlefield clone SW Battlefront being developed, they're the most lenient of the heavy hitters as far as IP goes, so it has a chance.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Fool View Post
    No, probably because those projects have strict rules about not taking donations.

Also, those two IPs aren't anywhere near Star Wars in scale.
    I think it's the heavy use of copyrighted images that will prompt action more than anything else. If he'd done all the art himself he'd have a better chance of being left alone.

New Romantic
    I can't imagine that taking donations and displaying ads is helping his chances at all. Making money off someone else's IP? Good luck.

On the other hand, perhaps setting up a website on some long loved IP, sitting back and collecting donations until the cease & desist rolls in, then being blameless in this waste of people's money (which went direct to my bank account, I wasn't foolish enough to start working on anything more than a few screenshots for my website) sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

How To Go
    That could be, too. Those screens and the video wouldn't be that tough to throw together, and if he somehow pulls a couple hundred out of the deal before the C&D hammer comes down, there you go.

Hustle
    Who the hell is Han Solo?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampIrish View Post
    Who the hell is Han Solo?
    Sorry, you completely missed the window for that sort of comment. You need to get the feigned cultural ignorance fucktardery in by no later than the third or fourth post.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    Sorry, you completely missed the window for that sort of comment. You need to get the feigned cultural ignorance fucktardery in by no later than the third or fourth post.
    I'll have to remember that.