Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Guns! Make your own.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Strato View Post
    Knife isn't useless. Remove the barrel and you have yourself a handy christmas present open-upper thingo.
    Heh, pretty much this. The idea was that the red ring under the knife was where the "sniper" attachment screwed on. You don't need a bayonet when you're a sniper. The antenna thing being some sort of crazy laser sight. Or maybe the knife isn't a bayonet, but attached to a knife launcher. I don't know man, I'm making this shit up as I go. Making Vera took me a solid hour and a half, so I wanted to make a quick gun that looked crazy in five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by hong View Post
    Nah, just making a comment on somebody who posted at length about pretending to be an elf, now flaming something else for being a stupid waste of time. Although now that I read it again, I suspect you were joking.
    I think he was just referring to Mega Man, specifically, and I'm apt to agree with him. 10 hours to make an MS-Paint caliber Mega Man drawing that would take about 10 minutes to actually do in MS Paint?
    Last edited by Dufresne; 05-14-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Social Worker
    For some reason, there are people who like to build stuff using nothing but the basic shapes supplied: rectangles, squares, and circles. I would agree, this really amounts to using the program as just a sixth-rate Paint substitute. That said, they can come up with some pretty wild results.

Uzi by davidman_92, made almost entirely out of shapes:

Social Worker
    In a bit of a quandary about this one. The top carry handle/sight seems to be causing some people problems, so I'm wondering whether I should redo it. (It's supposed to be like the G36 unit, with a sight built into the handle.)

In penance for taking PMG seriously, I promise more katanae in the future.

World's End Supernova
    For some reason, there are people who like to build stuff using nothing but the basic shapes supplied: rectangles, squares, and circles. I would agree, this really amounts to using the program as just a sixth-rate Paint substitute. That said, they can come up with some pretty wild results.
    Yes, I was indeed calling that Mega Man a stupid ass waste of time. I didn't spend hours typing up about being an elf either, so that makes zero sense.

Social Worker
    So anyway, I promised more katanae, even though NOONE RESPONDED TO MY QUESTION.

Background: I never knew until I started using this app that you could literally mount a sight on another sight. Trijicon actually makes an ACOG with a rail on top, so I built it in PMG.

And here it is in action.

New Romantic
    Who is this Noone you refer to and why is his feedback so important to you?

Also, your latest katanagun looks a little too plausible, methinks.

Neo Acoustic
    What about a rocket propelled katana on the katanagun? Would that be less plausible?

Is it even possible to have a grenade launcher with a katana sticking out the end of it?

New Romantic
    What about a rocket propelled katana on the katanagun? Would that be less plausible?
    I am fully in favor of a rocket-propelled katana on the katanagun.

Is it even possible to have a grenade launcher with a katana sticking out the end of it?
    If it's not, it should be!

How To Go
    Why not just put the grenade launcher in the hilt of the katana?

New Romantic
    And then,

why not just put the katana launcher in the hilt of the grenade launcher?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Creole Ned View Post
    Who is this Noone you refer to and why is his feedback so important to you?
    What can I say? I'm a[n] Herman's Hermits fan.

Also, your latest katanagun looks a little too plausible, methinks.
    :(

Also ppl, what is this "why not do this" and "why not do that" bullsheet? What am I, your personal dogsbody? Is my name Baldrick or Ramirez? No. The program is publicly available and free*, the code is out there (katana is here), you can do it yourself!

* although I ended up sending the guy money. Even though he's not updating it anymore.

Neo Acoustic
    Also ppl, what is this "why not do this" and "why not do that" bullsheet? What am I, your personal dogsbody? Yes. You just don't know it yet. Is my name Baldrick or Ramirez? No, your name is hong. The program is publicly available and free*, the code is out there (katana is here), you can do it yourself!
    My responses to your questions in bold above ;)

I'm kidding. Truth is, I'm too lazy to make my own gun. But I do find this thread rather funny. More gunzzz!!

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by quatoria View Post
    Pffff, stocks. Space marines have hydraulics in their armor for the nonexistant recoil of their massive laser weapons which mysteriously still have magazines! They don't NEED stocks. Or faces.
    Space Marines carry bolt guns which fire rocket propelled high-explosive micro-missiles.

In return for replying to a really old post with nerd-pedantry I present this: I call it the CAT (Close Assault Trebuchet*).

*Yes technically I know it's not a trebuchet as it doesn't have a counterweight but Close Assault Onager didn't have a cool acronym.

Mad Chester
    Six pages until we get a dildogun?! That's some shameful shite right there, people.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by anaqer View Post
    Six pages until we get a dildogun?! That's some shameful shite right there, people.
    I truly laughed out loud.

Social Worker

In which I continue to creep myself out

Sorry, no katanae this time.

F136A2 PDW, with carry case. Chunky compensator is chunky and compensating for something.

F137A1 designated marksman rifle, illustrating ambidextrous controls.

F138 carbine, using the same fore-end as the DMR, extended slightly.

F139 battle rifle, again with same fore-end. Top has 18in barrel and side rails, bottom is DMR config with 20in heavy barrel and bipod. Sights are next-gen ACOG/SUSAT/whatever scopes-cum-reflex-sights. You know they're advanced because they have blinkenlights.

(The size of these things keeps growing. The codes for the first pics I made were maybe 4-5K; the latest ones above are around 35K. It's amazing, the difference between then and now.)

World's End Supernova
    Very nice work, hong. Looks like they added a mess of parts since this thread started.

Social Worker
    Thanks, mang!

Yeah, there's been a lot of changes. There's actually 2 separate apps now, called versions 0.6 (the old one) and 0.7. The new app is far easier to use; you can use the arrow keys to move parts in 1-pixel increments, define your own colours, and import/export the code in an XML-like format. Many parts can also be split into their sub-components, eg collapsible stocks or folding sights. Most people are using the new one now because of this.

It actually doesn't have as many distinct guns as the old one though. No shotguns, pistols or MGs, for example; and the only bullpup arm is the FN2000. Unfortunately it looks like there's going to be no more updates coming down the pipeline. The guy got pissed that noone gave him money, so he's abandoned the project (but hasn't taken down the site... yet).

New Romantic

Since everyone wanted a tube firing katana.

Account closed New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by IainC View Post
    Space Marines carry bolt guns which fire rocket propelled high-explosive micro-missiles.
    I'm well aware of what WH40K space marines carry, as well as their mass-reactive bolter shells. The response was directed towards the ridiculous laser weapon on display in the post.

Social Worker

Still no katanae

Demon G Sides has won the thread, but I shall continue regardless.

I'm in the middle of moving house, so no time to make new guns, but this is the last one I did. Someone complained on Flickr that the stock on my F138 carbine above looked too bulky, so I made up some alternatives. Which one do people prefer?

1. As seen before
    2. Folding collapsible, SCAR-style
    3. Folding skeleton, Galil/Minimi-style
    4. "Para" sliding collapsible

New Romantic
    Either the old version (I like rear loading designs) or the 2nd one. Top one looks huge, bottom two are too tiny.

World's End Supernova
    I like #2 as well, but what is bothersome is that the weapon is limited in close combat situations with the stock folded. With a front grip it could be a useful assault weapon. As it is, holding onto a clip instead of a grip in such a situation is kinda shitty.

Neo Acoustic
    I'll jump in and say that they look awesome regardless hong. My vote would be for number 2 also. I'm not sure if it is just the grey, or the style of the stock, or maybe both, but it just seems to go best with the gun.

And Demon G Sides, Thank you! That made my night. One never knows when a tube firing katana will come in handy.

Social Worker
    #2, for sure.

How To Go
    Off-topic, but I thought it might be of interest to those who frequent this thread: Edward Uhl, one of the inventors of the bazooka, died at 92. He was 24 and barely out of college when he was assigned to develop an anti-tank weapon in `42:
    One day, Mr. Uhl was stumbling through an old junkyard when he saw a metal tube about five feet long and had a brainstorm.

In an interview with Maryland Cracker Barrel magazine in 2007, Mr. Uhl remembered saying: "That's the answer! Put the tube on a soldier's shoulder with the rocket inside and away it goes."
    When it came time to prove his weapon design:
    An Army official requested a live demonstration at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, where Mr. Uhl and Skinner would fire at a tank 125 yards away, moving at 20 mph.

After six other antitank systems had a try -- all missing the tank or failing to fire -- it was Mr. Uhl's turn. It was a perfect shot.

"I hit the damned tank dead center," Mr. Uhl said.
    After the war he went into the defense industry and eventually ran Fairchild Industries; during his tenure he oversaw the A10 Thunderbolt among other things, before retiring in `85.

And just in case you think old age made him less badass:
    In retirement, Mr. Uhl and rocket scientist Wernher von Braun went on big-game hunting trips to Africa. On his deathbed, von Braun gave his prized elephant gun to Mr. Uhl.
    So all you gun-nade-tana designers take note - you too can follow in Edward Uhl's footsteps!

Neo Acoustic
    Invented the bazooka and the A10, huh? That guy must have hated tanks.

How To Go
    Stick to what you're good at, I suppose.

Social Worker
    Colorado----> Gamertag: Hypnotoad42 steam: Hypnotoad 42
    In retirement, Mr. Uhl and rocket scientist Wernher von Braun went on big-game hunting trips to Africa.
    This is the coolest thing I have ever heard.

Social Worker
    So, finally got some time to finish up my current project: first prototype of an SLR (side-loading rifle).

Feeds from a P90-style magazine (with rotating feed) flush against the left side, above the trigger and grip. 20-round 7.62x51mm and 30-round 5.56x45mm mags are also shown. Mechanism is already sized for the larger round, so I can make a battle rifle version if I feel like it.

The charging handle is on the right, because there's clearly not much room on the left. The mag release is part of the magazine itself (if you're going to the trouble of making a rotating feed, you might as well go the extra step and put the release in).

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    I like #2 as well, but what is bothersome is that the weapon is limited in close combat situations with the stock folded. With a front grip it could be a useful assault weapon. As it is, holding onto a clip instead of a grip in such a situation is kinda shitty.
    I'll jump in and say that they look awesome regardless hong. My vote would be for number 2 also. I'm not sure if it is just the grey, or the style of the stock, or maybe both, but it just seems to go best with the gun.

And Demon G Sides, Thank you! That made my night. One never knows when a tube firing katana will come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon G Sides View Post
    Either the old version (I like rear loading designs) or the 2nd one. Top one looks huge, bottom two are too tiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMichael View Post
    #2, for sure.
    Man, that's pretty conclusive! I also got a couple of votes for #2 on Flickr, but I wasn't sure how much credibility to assign those. The aesthetic sensibilities over there can be... suspect at times.
    Last edited by hong; 05-26-2010 at 10:54 PM.