Thread: William and Sly

Madison, WI Gamertag: Dr JonDanger Steam: Jon_Danger

William and Sly

Wow... this is one of the best flash games I have played in a while. Beautiful graphics, great platforming, etc etc.

Check it out, seriously.

William and Sly

I would put this in the flash games thread... but I felt it deserved special notion.

Yes. This. Nice, polished, gentle little game.

I have no interest in finding all the mushrooms, or the scoring system, but I really do appreciate the aesthetic. Instead of all the Extreme Extremeness you usually see, here's something done with a much lighter touch.

It is just really fun to hop around in the game... there is no way to die, and it is very relaxing.

Reminds me a lot of the Knytt stories and Within a Deep Forest.

Social Worker
    Very soothing. I feel better. Thank you!

No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Unfortunately it's virtually unplayable for me due to the blurred scrolling.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    Unfortunately it's virtually unplayable for me due to the blurred scrolling.
    Is this a physical thing or an esthetic one? You'd prefer the background to stay in focus when moving? Is it the same for you in every game?

I did not even notice this. Guess it's not an issue with me. I just like the nice fox.

Mad Chester
    His other games are pretty neat as well, like this one:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Kajenx/ether-war

No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo View Post
    Is this a physical thing or an esthetic one? You'd prefer the background to stay in focus when moving? Is it the same for you in every game?
    The problem is simply that the scrolling isn't smooth - it judders, leaving a slight double image. It's anachronistic next to the smooth animation of the fox and other critters. There's nothing wrong with my eyesight, so unless it's a performance issue (it's the same on two different PCs) then your eyes must have a higher tolerance for abuse than mine do.

Social Worker
    Ether War was intense. The dragon and cherry tree one looked interesting, but the keyboard controls were frustrating. Maybe that's a point it's making about spiritual struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    There's nothing wrong with my eyesight ... then your eyes must have a higher tolerance for abuse than mine do.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any physical failure on your part. I just wondered if the juddering made you feel ill or something, like motion sickness. And yeah, I'm definitely a lo-fi consumer.

How To Go
    Very impressed with this game. I bet he could make a pretty good buck on WiiWare/PSN/XBLA with this one.

Thats what I thought, or even DSi-ware. Man I would totally play 5 bucks for a more fleshed out version of the game. I could see myself replaying it multiple times.

World's End Supernova Dave Perkins's Avatar
    Wow, Ether War sure does plop you down in the middle of some hectic shizzle. I quit and went straight to William and Sly, and peace returned to my life. I'm impressed, too! Sorta stuck where there's a sign that reads "Fork". I can't find the fork underground. But I want to. Which is a sign of a jolly good game.

How To Go
    Got to the snake, gave up.

Mad Chester
    Haha yeah, the snake's pretty irritating. It's a great game other than that.

New Romantic
    I tried to enjoy the game, but one of my big pet peeves in games are secret walls and controlling a character I can't see. It's not like it's too difficult to get around in this game while hidden in the black, and it isn't very hard to find the secret entrances.. it is just irksome to me because I am unable to look past minor quibbles and that makes me a horrible human being that can't enjoy tranquil fox jumping games.

Quote Originally Posted by kerzain View Post
    I tried to enjoy the game, but one of my big pet peeves in games are secret walls and controlling a character I can't see.
    Do you think you would have enjoyed it more if there were more audio cues while tunneling through the hills to indicate where you were and where the passages were?

(endboss spoilers)
    I liked it a lot except that snake. All of a sudden the game turned to Pac-Man except the ghost monster took up half the maze and could go through walls, making it impossible to maneuver around or predict his movements. Maybe if he only knocked off one fairy at a time instead of taking the whole collection...anyway, that was the end of the game. I'd play another level if he makes one.