Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40

Thread: What ever happened to letting kids fight their own battles?

  1. #1
    Account closed New Romantic
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,918

    What ever happened to letting kids fight their own battles?

    Two 9 year old girls get in a fight, so Girl A's mother puts up a sexually suggestive Craigs List ad for Girl B. WTF? Just give it a few years, lady, and your kid will be able to defend herself by spreading around nude pictures or something.

  2. #2
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Derry, ME
    Posts
    9,569
    At least this one didn't end in a Myspace suicide, or Mom paying off a hitman to take out a rival cheerleader who had an edge at tryouts -- but given a few years before she outed herself as a psycho I could totally see this mom turning into one of those types too.

    As a side: Craigslist is funny. The ability to pull hilarious shenanigans has been around forever, but the "anonymity" people feel, plus the widespread use of this free service makes for some interesting stories. Rapes and serial killings aside, there have been several local instances of people posting an ad which says something to the effect of "Free stuff at my house, I gotta move asap" when someone they dislike is out of town and unable to protect the homestead.

  3. #3
    Account closed New Romantic
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Gamertag: Shadarr
    Posts
    7,189
    She's just really upset by the whole thing. Her biggest concern has always been that this not materially affect the victim or her child.
    lolwut? She's the one who made her a victim.

  4. #4
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    283
    Just another step along the path to requiring the entire world be child safe.

  5. #5
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    Gotta love America

  6. #6
    How To Go
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    13,783

  7. #7
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    271
    It's even more disturbing that the woman who did this is a social worker.

  8. #8
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    5,363

  9. #9
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,799
    Those kids are FUCKED. I think their best shot is to clear the slide with the trashcan lid and escape that way, but it's iffy.

  10. #10
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,273
    I always hated it when the zombies took over recess.

    BTW, don't let Valve see that pic, they'll use it to justify L4D3.

  11. #11
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    8,222
    Dean,

    Please tell me that's from the cover of a book, because my 9-year-old son would be all over reading that and I'm looking for ways to encourage him to read more right now.

  12. #12
    Social Worker Balasarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    4,801
    It actually pre-dates L4D1. It's just a stand-alone piece of art. No book.

  13. #13
    Account closed New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    9,901
    Oddly enough, that painting has been Angie's desktop wallpaper for over a year now.

  14. #14
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Bottomless Pit of Despair
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielElliot View Post
    Those kids are FUCKED. I think their best shot is to clear the slide with the trashcan lid and escape that way, but it's iffy.
    Agreed. Looks like 4 more kid zombies to me.

  15. #15
    Account closed New Romantic
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Gamertag: Shadarr
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gallant View Post
    Oddly enough, that painting has been Angie's desktop wallpaper for over a year now.
    That doesn't strike me as odd at all.

  16. #16
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    5,363
    Due to popular demand, prints of Zombie Playground are now available. No book, but the guy who made it is pretty good.

    Does that make me a vm?

  17. #17
    How To Go
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wheeljack on Playdek.
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
    It actually pre-dates L4D1. It's just a stand-alone piece of art. No book.
    There's a cursory resemblance between the one girl and Zoe (red hoodie), and the fact that there's 4 of them, but I also thought L4D as well.

    Now that the L4D tools have been released, I think somebody needs to get on this.

  18. #18
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    658
    What's worse is that their moms won't let them grow up when they reach college. We had a 19-year-old man show up in our office with his mommy, who was pissed off because no one would talk to her about her son's classes because he needed to sign a release of information form first.

    Apparently the son had been taking a stupid Pass/Fail course for 1 credit and--you guessed it--was due to fail the class because he'd skipped it once too often for the attendance policy. Supposedly he'd "overslept" his alarm for a noon class. His mother screamed abuse at the office personnel, choosing as her victims the lower-level hourly workers.

    I wanted to ask her if she was going to go scream at her son's employers when they fired him for oversleeping work.

  19. #19
    Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by ceolstan View Post
    What's worse is that their moms won't let them grow up when they reach college. We had a 19-year-old man show up in our office with his mommy, who was pissed off because no one would talk to her about her son's classes because he needed to sign a release of information form first.

    Apparently the son had been taking a stupid Pass/Fail course for 1 credit and--you guessed it--was due to fail the class because he'd skipped it once too often for the attendance policy. Supposedly he'd "overslept" his alarm for a noon class. His mother screamed abuse at the office personnel, choosing as her victims the lower-level hourly workers.

    I wanted to ask her if she was going to go scream at her son's employers when they fired him for oversleeping work.
    I think one of the best parts of teaching at a university is the no talking to parents policy. I'm not sure I could teach at a high school where I had to talk with parents as well.

  20. #20
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ..the furthest you can live from the government.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Favorite. pic. ever.

  21. #21
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gallant View Post
    Oddly enough, that painting has been Angie's desktop wallpaper for over a year now.
    My wife had that for awhile too, after I showed her the painting.

  22. #22
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    8,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
    It's just a stand-alone piece of art. No book.
    That sucks. I almost feel compelled to write a book based on the sheer awesomeness of the painting.

  23. #23
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Derry, ME
    Posts
    9,569
    I don't like the painting. Real kids would run away from zombies.

    Okay, I'm being contrarian.

  24. #24
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    5,363
    Quote Originally Posted by kerzain View Post
    I don't like the painting. Real kids would run away from zombies.
    They did.

    That's the thing about zombies. They just keep coming.

  25. #25
    6th Grade Spelling Bee Loser World's End Supernova Rimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    There are no words to describe how much I love this painting.

  26. #26
    6th Grade Spelling Bee Loser World's End Supernova Rimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22,927
    Quote Originally Posted by ceolstan View Post
    I wanted to ask her if she was going to go scream at her son's employers when they fired him for oversleeping work.
    Why didn't you?

  27. #27
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Bottomless Pit of Despair
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimbo View Post
    Why didn't you?
    On a basic level, parents just want to do their best for their kid. Your kid will always be your baby, right?

    I guess I would have been there too to ask (but not shout and scream) for another chance for my kid - but to be sure the education would have been done by me at home.

    "I pay for your tuition and you fail a class because you were too lazy to go to school? What is wrong with you? In my time (nag nag nag)".

  28. #28
    Account closed How To Go
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Gamertag: Japrufrock
    Posts
    13,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezdaar View Post
    I think one of the best parts of teaching at a university is the no talking to parents policy. I'm not sure I could teach at a high school where I had to talk with parents as well.
    My wife teaches pre- and middle-school and even though she's had some real problem children (she's very good at her job, so she often gets assigned to problem classes to 'fix' them... only without singing, ballroomdancing or military backfground) and still her greatest problem and biggest complain is the parents.

  29. #29
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by kerzain View Post
    Real kids would run away from zombies.
    You're wrong.

  30. #30
    How To Go
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,135
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeel View Post
    That is awesome, even awesomer than the MGMT video. :) I have a feeling American kids would be less gracious (and probably less hardcore).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •