Thread: Xbox360 controller batteries

Neo Acoustic

Xbox360 controller batteries

When I first got my Xbox I picked up a pair of play n' charge kits to deal with battery charging. I found that after a few months neither pack would hold a charge for more than an hour (if that), and out of sheer laziness I ended up leaving the charge kit wire plugged in all the time, essentially giving me wired-wireless controllers. Laziness trumped actually sorting it out however, and I have been putting up with these damned wires for years now. My annoyance level has finally peaked over my laziness level for some reason and I'm sorting this out.

Given the grief I've had with these play 'n charge things I'm not going that route again and am actually thinking about just getting some regular rechargeable AA's and a charger. I've seen Duracell commercials on TV lately for 15 min chargers that might do the job nicely, though I've heard they can ruin a battery over time. That said now that I'm looking into it there are a lot of choices, and some of the newer rechargeables are apparently best for "high drain devices"... not sure if an xbox controller would qualify.

What are you guys using for batteries in your 360 controllers, and how is it working out for you?

New Romantic
    I'm using Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables. It made a lot more sense to me to spend $10 on four AA batteries that can be used in a ton of things than to spend around the same on a battery that can only be used in an Xbox 360 controller.

Social Worker
    Huge battery packs from Sam's. They're dirt-cheap, and I don't have to worry about recharging. The recharger packs could never keep up with the overall console use (spread between 4 members of the family), so we stopped using them some time ago.

World's End Supernova
    Rechargeable batteries.

Social Worker
    I'm using rechargeable duracell batteries (2650mAh) and they last for ages.. Not problems whatsoever, just keep a spare set around and everythings good!

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    The normal battery packs are still working fine for me with the quick charge kit (as opposed to the play and charge kit, which seems to suck the life out of those battery packs faster for some reason). Plus with the quick charge kit, I'm never in a position where I'm playing with a "wired" controller. It just feels better all around.

However, I can't put the battery packs in my guitar controllers. So I got this charger from Amazon and those batteries have been working great for me for my guitar controllers. They last a really long time. (But that's to be expected, since what really drains batteries fast is controller vibration, and guitar controllers don't vibrate).

New Romantic
    I used to use the charge-n-play kit and battery pack, but had the same problem with it not holding a charge over time. In my case it seems to be because the controller never actually completely shuts off when using that battery pack -- after turning it off, there's still a very faint glow to the green ring, so power is still being drained.

That doesn't happen when I use plain old AA rechargables, so I've switched to them for now and they last much longer.

I use the packs with the quick charge kit, although I did use the play & charge thing for a while at first. No problems with the battery life on either of the two packs I have, and one of those two packs is over two years old now.

New Romantic
    I used to use NiMH AAs and a fancy charger, and if I were still using it, I'd recommend it highly, as it works with no problems.

But a few years back, I got the quick charge kit and a few 360 batteries as a gift, and that has been so vastly much better that I spit on AAs now. You're never playing wired, and if your controller runs down, it's the work of 5 seconds to swap it out with a charged-up battery sitting on the tree. Battery life seems perfectly fine, even with years-old batteries.

How To Go
    Labeled matching pairs of Low-drain Sanyo Eneloop NiMH.

Spinning Toe
    I use the rechargable batteries and base from Nyko - been using it for years and never had a problem. Holds a charge for hours at a time (I've never run out), and seems to charge pretty quickly. Using white batteries with black controllers kind of sucks, but I don't even notice most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rei View Post
    Labeled matching pairs of Low-drain Sanyo Eneloop NiMH.
    This. Those batteries are so damn great I use them for everythnig now. I have a robot that drains AAs in about 5 minutes and these let it run for about 2 hours.

How To Go
    Play-and-Charge kits are a scam. I've had the same problem. They last for about a year or two at best. Someone opened up the battery pack awhile back and discovered that Microsoft was just putting regular old rechargeables (cheap and crappy ones apparently) inside that casing.

You're better off with many of the options listed above for regular old rechargeable batteries. As a bonus, you can use the same rechargeables you buy for your 360 with the Wii Remotes or Gamecube Wavebirds. We rotate through a pile of Duracell rechargeables for all those controllers.

Hustle
    I used a rag-tag collection of about 20 no-name NiMH AA rechargeable batteries that I purchased, 2 at a time, at various sales and liquidation events for next to nothing. I charged them in a bottom of the line Ray-o-Vac charger that I think I got for $2 on sale somewhere. The charger took more than 24 hours to charge an empty pair of batteries, but with 20 batteries lying around I didn't really care. As Dave Long said, the standard rechargeable batteries give you more flexibility. I could use them in Guitar Hero and Rock Band guitars (but for some reason rechargeable batteries won't power up the Rock Band drum set) and various Wii novelty controllers in addition to the 360 controllers. Despite the fact that the batteries were highly mismatched and all off-brand, they never gave me any problems, and I recall getting about a week's worth of use out of a charge on the 360.
    Last edited by scotthal; 06-17-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Long View Post
    Play-and-Charge kits are a scam. I've had the same problem. They last for about a year or two at best.
    Mine lasted about 2 months before a "full charge" would deplete in an hour or so. Complete rip off. Switched to decent branded rechargeables and a plug-in charger and just rotate the batteries. I now get much, much better life out of each charge.

New Romantic
    I bought the special edition red controller and the battery pack shit out after 3 months of use.

Fuck the play and charge kit.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon G Sides View Post
    I bought the special edition red controller and the battery pack shit out after 3 months of use.

Picked up an Energizer charger and some 2500mah AA batteries as the suggestion of having the flexibility of regular batteries was a great thought. Almost went for the Duracell "15 min charge" thing but those were only 200mah (which would give me less run time if I recall my battery info correctly) but also I've heard the 15min charge thing can kill your overall battery life. On top of that, I'll just rotate what I have as suggested and charge them up overnight if needed (6 hour). If I ever find myself in a position of needing MORE POWER NOW I'll just slap in the stupid play n' charge thing again while the AA's recharge but I don't think that will come up.

Absolutely fuck the play and charge kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon G Sides View Post

The play and charge is worthless. If you're going to use the rechargeable packs, get the quick charger that can handle 2 batteries at a time. I've used this to revive battery packs that the P&C cable rendered unusable.

New Romantic
    get a good charger. Soooo worth it:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001078.html

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Moore View Post
    This. Those batteries are so damn great I use them for everythnig now. I have a robot that drains AAs in about 5 minutes and these let it run for about 2 hours.

Wait...you have a robot?

(I use Energizer rechargable batteries and keep a few spare old skool ones in the freezer just in case)

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    get a good charger. Soooo worth it:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001078.html
    Get the quick charge kit. So much more worth it. I have that LaCrosse kit, and while it's nice in general, it's very much second-best for the Xbox.

With AAs and charger:

1. Take off battery cover. Pry out batteries, which are very tight, due to the general slightly-oversized nature of NiMH AAs.
    2. Get the charger out of storage (it's big and bulky and not at all the kind of thing you leave lying around, unless you've got a much geekier home than I do) and hook it up somewhere.
    3. Take fresh AAs out of the bag (assuming you're burning through them fast enough -- or using the Eneloop-style ones -- that they're still fresh), jam them tight up in the Xbox controller.
    4. Put the old batteries on the charger.
    5. Some hours later (maybe the next day, depending on how late it is), pick up the charger and put it away with the charged batteries.

With Quick Charge Kit:

1. Unsnap battery from 360.
    2. Walk over to the Quick Charge battery tree (probably right next to your 360, since it's small and looks fine there), unsnap a freshly charged battery, and snap in the old one.
    3. Snap the fresh battery onto the controller.

It's an order of magnitude more convenient, even if it does fly in the face of generalizing and standardizing gadgetry.

Social Worker
    this is totally derailing this thread in a tangential way: but has anyone had any issues with PS3 controllers losing their charge over time?

I'm at the point where my 360 controllers seem to rapidly run out of juice when using the play n charge or quick charge kits. And i only consider myself a casual user (mostly netflix, where i turn it on, play movie, then either turn it off or it times out). I'm not sure how hardcore users would put up with it constantly running out.

New Romantic
    I've got 2 different play and charge kits and I've never had an issue with them. Calling the batteries a scam is a stretch... of course Microsoft is just packaging batteries inside the case, what did you think was in there, fairy dust? On the same topic, if you split open many 9 volt batteries from so-called reputable battery makers you'll often find it contains 6 AAAA batteries! OMG TOTAL SCAM!!! I paid for a 9 volt battery and got 6 AAAA ones instead!!!

On the original topic, I've only had one of my play and charge charged battery packs get to the point where it depletes too fast to be of any use and that was after nearly 2 years of use. That's actually very good for a rechargable battery set that gets used very often.

But since the batteries do eventually die (as all rechargables do), I bought a bunch of pink colored battery pack replacements off of some slickdeals link a while back when they were selling them for dirt cheap. They look a little twinky on my white 360 controllers and especially twinky on my black Elite controller, but who cares? They were dirt cheap.