<link to first post here>
I've been with this thread since you started it and the only consistent thing about your posts is their inconsistency. I guess I'm just too dumb to mine the nuggets of wisdom from the extreme bombast. If I had to summarize what you seem to be saying purely from memory and without reviewing every post it'd go something like this:
1. Reviewers play games for 2 hours or less.
2. You hate individual game reviewers achieving any level of "internet fame" and react strongly to what you perceive to be their arrogance for attempting to (in your view) speak for an entire industry.
3. Game reviewers are in bed with publishers and PR and write terrible, misleading, tripe as a result.
4. You regard podcasts as audio toilet paper.
5. You hate the idea of the proposed symposium (and the word symposium) that seems to be organized to discuss the very things that you profess to be railing against, yet when confronted with this fact you state that people from OUTSIDE the games press or with no games press experience should be the ones discussing the problems you see in the games press.
6. Any "symposium" convened to discuss these issues should be behind closed doors to make it more official, important, and "academic". Having it in the "blogosphere" debases it. Also, game reviewers need to be more open and honest with their audience.
7. Game reviewers give preferential treatment/scores to games perceived as AAA titles and bag unnecessarily on B-level games (that they only play for two hours, of course). Moreover, game reviewers can't work past their own personal preferences to find value in games they are disposed to like.
I won't argue whether it's wankery or not, because frankly I don't care. If something insightful comes out of it then yay, if not, so what?
If so, you're a bit of a tool frankly.
I wasn't addressing KG directly with that remark, inasmuch as said "symposium" isn't solely discussing the failings of the ten named participants.
2. LOL WUT
3. LOL WUT
4. LOL WUT. This one might need some clarification, though -- I use podcasts as background noise, and I don't consider that a bad thing. I doubt Ira Glass would be offended that I don't hang on every word uttered in TAL. I probably shoulda ignored the podcast derail.
5. LOL WUT.
I'm not sure I'm the confused one, here~!
Isn't Ellis some kinda chaos magician or something? Like Order of the Hermetic Dawn Alister Crowley Qaballah-Gone-Wild magic? Fuck, I'd better make nice with KG post-haste -- wouldn't want my dick to get turned into a (very large) silverfish!
Wait, is Doug saying that Warren Ellis isn't credible?
I once posted something about Warren Ellis working on Dead Space that required a picture. So naturally I just grabbed something off of the Internet. There: picture of Warren Ellis. But I had posted a picture of Warren Ellis, the guy from the Australian group Dirty Three who did the soundtrack to Assassination of Jesse James, which is all kinds of awesome. Now that's the kind of mistake a guy can get behind!
Doug, what did you name your Nintendog?
People! People! Calm the fuck down, you are all ignoring the most INTERESTING question of all.
What's the over/under on how long it takes Tom to vet Shawn Elliott?
I was kinda hoping people would list what they thought was wrong with game reviews and journalism and critique these days...
via TwitterOriginally Posted by Shawn Elliott
EDIT: Also via Twitter: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/500...5001379yb5.jpg
Last edited by kentdog; 12-09-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Also, it's sort of funny watching you complain about the symposium since it's as obvious as a pink elephant's ass-crack you're a big fan of pretentious twaddle, just not this particular instance or brand of pretentious twaddle. Is it because it wasn't your idea, or perhaps it was and they merely put it together first? I can dig that. I hate being beat to the punch on wankery specific to, and potentially capable of partially defining, my field of interest or expertise.
Because really, at the root of it all, it just sounds to me like you're upset that they aren't doing it the way you want them to do it. I mean, sure, you're right about a lot of things in this thread, but I'm not sold on any of those things actually applying to your beef with the symposium, which from where I'm standing comes off like you not thinking enough of your own profession to consider it worthy of introverted discussion.
Oh, and one other thing: gaming journalism? Not as appreciably different, nor inferior, to other media journalism as you might think. Remember back when I said this:
I secretly meant to sayOriginally Posted by Me
Most journalism is pretty terrible.
And no, not just what's on the internet. Really Doug, if you think film criticism isn't rife with quote whores or C-team book reviewers don't skim to make their deadlines, well...pink elephant, Sugar Bumps.
Bill, do you think Roger Ebert sleeps through Pauly Shore movies, or gives them a the same shake he gives all movies? Just askin', is all.Originally Posted by Bill Dungsroman
Other than that, props for the old-school USENET-esque nostalgia kick that comes with overarticulated flaming, but really, there's not much to respond to beyond a qualified appreciation for the art (or at least your gusto for it) -- and a trenchant wish I was still sixteen enough to respond in kind.
Last edited by Doug Erickson; 12-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Man, this thread was an amusing read. It reminds me a lot of some of the threads I've made over the years on certain boards. I would make a fiery post attacking some issue or another before I did my research and then spend the rest of the thread in a cloud of defensive fever, rapidly replying to every single post. I would try to backpedal and spin my way out of a crater and would ultimately convince myself that I had succeeded even though the only thing I had accomplished was persuading some that my original point was only slightly less retarded than they had originally thought. Thankfully I think I've learned to just keep my damn mouth shut but it does make me smile when I see others fall into the same trap.
Seriously, at this point, if this thread is all over the map, it ain't my fault. I've been interested enough to respond to the various requests, even those that were no more than semantic gerrymandering, trivia wrangling, and various character complaints. You should thank me!