Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure (PC)

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->

Pure (PC)

Just got my $5 copy of Pure today from Amazon. After installation, I took a look in the game's folder:

um, what?

sorry if you are easily offended

The list goes on and on...
    Last edited by Cubit; 12-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Some sort of ban filter of words you can't use in the game? Is there an online gameplay feature?

I know nothing of the game, though, and am only guessing. Unless this is some obscure joke that I don't get.

Social Worker
    Yeah, it's obviously some kind of word filter list, although why you would keep such a list client side and in plain text is beyond me.

EDIT: Maybe it's a directory that was intended for the server and was unintentionally left in the client install?

New Romantic
    I agree. Having the list makes perfect sense (assuming it uses a peer to peer network model or a standard PC client server setup where one player runs the 'server'). But, yeah, having it in plaintext like that does not make sense... it is like some textual Hot Coffee shit just waiting to get blown all out of proportion... the developer and publisher should have known better.

Account closed Neo Acoustic
    That's bizarre. It can't be simply a ban filter (my first thought) because many of those words would be absurd to ban, and it's way too comprehensive and orderly to be a joke. Maybe it's a generic ban list which is given to the company to specify for themselves?

EDIT: For those who think it's a straight filter list... "Beaver"? Really?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Lh'owon View Post
    Sure... I've seen words on such lists that were much more unlikely than beaver.

EDIT: I guess since you're from New Zealand I should mention beaver is slang for vagina here in the US, in case you were unaware.

Social Worker
    Bhopal, India and Institute, WV Gamertag: MonkeyBunker
    That's the Disney "bad words" list. I've worked on products that had to follow it before.

Account closed Social Worker
    6... 66. The number of the beaaast!

What a weird list.

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Union Carbide View Post
    That's the Disney "bad words" list. I've worked on products that had to follow it before.
    Pure is Disney published. Whats odd though is how these lists in all languages are just, like others have mentioned, in plain text format for any ol' kid to stumble upon. Even I'm learning new words. I can imagine Disney would have some angry parents on their hands if any of them discovered this list the game installed on their computer.
    Last edited by Cubit; 12-04-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Social Worker
    Well, I'll be a schlonging koolielicker... You can't even say 'sexy'?

The best part of this is that the directory is "urbandictionary." Damn inner city minority youths!

Also, bitchin, really? Is that even cussing? I remember that back during the Genesis days in several mags. "Skatin'! Hitchin'! BITCHIN'!"

Heehee. Choad is on the list. Heehee. Mammaries too.

Spanking? This is a game for kids, what if you just got one for yelling about chocolate milk?

Humps is banned! What if you always get stuck on the humps on a certain course?
    Last edited by ZekeDMS; 12-04-2008 at 07:22 PM.

How To Go

Account closed How To Go
    gay is on the list too

Mad Chester
    I've always wanted to learn how to swear in Dutch. Now, thanks to Disney, I can!

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubit View Post
    Pure is Disney published. Whats odd though is how these lists in all languages are just, like others have mentioned, in plain text format for any ol' kid to stumble upon. Even I'm learning new words. I can imagine Disney would have some angry parents on their hands if any of them discovered this list the game installed on their computer.
    And not to mention... this is a major, Class-A ESRB violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Coca Cola Zero View Post
    Sure... I've seen words on such lists that were much more unlikely than beaver.

EDIT: I guess since you're from New Zealand I should mention beaver is slang for vagina here in the US, in case you were unaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    Oh lol, thanks but I was well aware. My point was the filter would **** out "beaver" even if used perfectly innocently, and I thought it unlikely, considering it isn't exactly an uncommon word. The picture made me laugh though :P

$5? Was it the sale of the day for games or something?

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelTsunami View Post
    $5? Was it the sale of the day for games or something?
    yeah, the weekend after black friday amazon really marked it down and by sunday it was five bucks.

Social Worker
    Wow, there are words there I don't know.

Hell one of them is the name of CGI cartoon character on Adult Swim.

How To Go
    chogglepants is NOT on the list!

New Romantic
    Oh lol, thanks but I was well aware. My point was the filter would **** out "beaver" even if used perfectly innocently, and I thought it unlikely, considering it isn't exactly an uncommon word. The picture made me laugh though :P
    Well, I don't disagree that banning beaver is overboard, but I've seen worse. A friend tried to name a band 5ht in Rock Band (5-hydroxytryptamine aka serotonin) when the game first came out and got denied (band name disallowed from Live play), presumably because they thought he was trying to write 'shit' in some variant of l33t sp34k.

World's End Supernova
    What is all this woman2woman shit? Does that get said a lot in online games?

I like how they included the mispelling of 'nazies.'

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Coca Cola Zero View Post
    Well, I don't disagree that banning beaver is overboard, but I've seen worse. A friend tried to name a band 5ht in Rock Band (5-hydroxytryptamine aka serotonin) when the game first came out and got denied (band name disallowed from Live play), presumably because they thought he was trying to write 'shit' in some variant of l33t sp34k.
    Wouldn't that be 5h1t? Those idiots.

And yet, xXoicu8cmen2dayXx is still an Xbox Live member.

Haha that's awesome

Neo Acoustic
    This is incrediawesome. I especially like "Slattern", just in case your gran gets online and starts to trash-talk.

KG

No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Union Carbide View Post
    What gets me is the Disney guy who had to put that together.

"Ah, welcome to your new job at Disney. For your first task, I want you to write down every cuss and swearword you can think of and put it into a text file that we'll include in all our game releases!"

Neo Acoustic
    I want to see what the other language files are like from that folder. I need to catch up on my russian swearing.

KG

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    What gets me is the Disney guy who had to put that together.

"Ah, welcome to your new job at Disney. For your first task, I want you to write down every cuss and swearword you can think of and put it into a text file that we'll include in all our game releases!"
    As someone who was a cunning linguist back at university that would be my dream job. This was one of my favourite resources.

I'm wondering: are there differences between the English_USA and English_UK list?

edit: never mind. I found a compound list at http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f1ae46962 and they are different.

I love it that "breezersletje" made it into the Dutch list. Alan, if you need any help with the pronunciation, just ask!