Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero World Tour: SPOILER THREAD

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard_King View Post
    Also, the way star power works is much more conducive to playing with newbies, in my opinion.
    Hmm. I think the opposite is true. Once someone fails out 3 time in RB they are done. But in GH the newbie can pretty much have star power active the entire time without even needing to acquire it personally, since they can share from others. We've had people make it through with under 60% of the notes hit where in RB they would have failed out.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    Hmm. I think the opposite is true. Once someone fails out 3 time in RB they are done. But in GH the newbie can pretty much have star power active the entire time without even needing to acquire it personally, since they can share from others. We've had people make it through with under 60% of the notes hit where in RB they would have failed out.
    I don't know how it works in GH, but in RB, I often activate overdrive when my band member is having trouble, and it's like he's getting overdrive as well, even if the background on the notechart only changed for me. Any notes he gets right count for twice as much, and he can quickly make his way back up. You don't have to wait for your friend to fail in RB to help them out. Conversely, if you do use up your overdrive to help them that way, and they STILL fail, then you have no overdrive left to perform a save, so it's a little riskier, but I still prefer it, because I don't like anyone failing out at all.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
    I have, and they're not one note, constantly, for 3 minutes

This is "Maps" on guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk9WCVfAcus
    This is "On the Road Again" on drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7oUIQoYOI

You can complain about playing the same pattern of 16 notes over and over again, but On the Road Again is a pattern of one note played over and over again
    Guess you didn't check out So What You Want on bass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP25pkDDI2k.

There is no way that is less boring than On the Road Again.

I'm no fan of Neversoft's take on the GH series but it's ridiculous to say Harmonix would never allow a song to be extremely boring on one instrument.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Guess you didn't check out So What You Want on bass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP25pkDDI2k.

There is no way that is less boring than On the Road Again.

I'm no fan of Neversoft's take on the GH series but it's ridiculous to say Harmonix would never allow a song to be extremely boring on one instrument.
    In addition So Whatcha Want is boring on ALL of the instruments, and the vocals are all talkies so you don't even have to try to get 100%. I have no idea why Harmonix included it. At least On the Road Again is solid on guitar and vocals.

Battle Dancer How To Go Wholly Schmidt's Avatar
    GH:WT is a big step up from GH3 graphically in that all the characters in GH:WT now look like ugly waxy caricatures, while in GH3 your character looked like an ugly waxy caricature and the other band members looked like nightmarish PS1 leftovers. So yeah, they've unified the ugly, good job.

World's End Supernova
    That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. All I saw was me getting pummelled on drums in terms of how much I got to use it because activating there is much harder for me than on guitar.

Account closed New Romantic
    How does star power work on the drums in this game? Do they have fills with a crash at the end just like RB?

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by shadarr View Post
    How does star power work on the drums in this game? Do they have fills with a crash at the end just like RB?
    With the GH:WT kit you hit the 2 cymbals at the same time to activate. With the RB kit you hit blue+yellow. No fills but but you do have some free style parts where you can increase your score by banging away.

Account closed New Romantic
    Are the notes charted, and if so can you choose not to hit them without breaking streak?

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by shadarr View Post
    Are the notes charted, and if so can you choose not to hit them without breaking streak?
    If you are talking about the Star Power "notes", you just hit both at any time, preferably when one of the two is on the chart. If you are talking about the freestyle drum parts, you can do whatever you want in that space, and it can only help you. It does not affect the streak as far as I can tell, but I wasn't paying attention that closely.

-I love the FEEL of the drums but they are loud and my red pad doesn't work. I hear that's not at all unusual
    -Good GOD does text entry fricking blow. And it's not consistent! They have TWO DIFFERENT sucky text entry UIs!
    -Character customization is really wonky. Would it have been so hard to have a 'randomize everything that's free or open to me / bought' button? At least there's a lot of free good looking choices.
    -The guitar seems really solid. The Mic is the same as RB/RB2s as near as i can tell.
    -Why are there two seperate USB dongles? I'm chaining mine, is that kosher?

It's not a total disaster but given the choice I'd probably have saved my $200 and just stick with RB2, but I don't think I can return the (opened) full set. And if I want drums that work I gotta RMA them, right? Will give it a few days more to see if it sticks with me but so far I'm not sold.

Spinning Toe
    In addition So Whatcha Want is boring on ALL of the instruments, and the vocals are all talkies so you don't even have to try to get 100%. I have no idea why Harmonix included it. At least On the Road Again is solid on guitar and vocals.
    The Beasie Boys song in GH:WT is WAY better than So Watcha Want. There's also nothing as bad as Visions in GH:WT. (There's nothing as bad as Visions in the rest of all reality.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
    It's not a total disaster but given the choice I'd probably have saved my $200 and just stick with RB2, but I don't think I can return the (opened) full set. And if I want drums that work I gotta RMA them, right? Will give it a few days more to see if it sticks with me but so far I'm not sold.
    I think it's worth a try to take the broken drums back to the store where you bought them. Walmart exchanged my bad guitar bundle.

World's End Supernova
    First real failure on Hard (not counting the guitar duel against Ted Nugent): Assassins by Muse. Holy shit those notes are close together. I think Hysteria on RB is still the best Muse song I've played in these games, but they are all ridiculously hard.

Also, my red pad works but does not detect velocity: failing the drum trainer for hard hits three times in a row on two separate attempts is my test for that. We'll see if BB takes back the whole thing, or if I have to RMA it. It is the whole thing, right? Too much to hope that I could just take the drums.

Spinning Toe
    I may be in the minority on this, but I like the note charts in GH:WT better than RB2 (Guitar-wise), somehow they just feel more fun to play. I'll admit it's probably helped by the looser note timings in GH, they make me feel like a better player.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent19 View Post
    I may be in the minority on this, but I like the note charts in GH:WT better than RB2 (Guitar-wise), somehow they just feel more fun to play. I'll admit it's probably helped by the looser note timings in GH, they make me feel like a better player.
    Well, they certainly take a different spin on HO/PO's and how far those should go. I'm not sure I like it better, especially on songs the two games have in common, but it's a contrast I can enjoy.

Social Worker
    I'm so very, very glad that Neversoft also put in a Ted Nugent song, which is basically an eight minute guitar solo. That's so much fun.
    I loved when his character rode in on a buffalo, and the camera panned across the crowd to show me the giant KFC bucket, and then the Nuge shot the screen with his guitar and then I listened to a shitty guitar solo for 8 minutes. What a fantastic choice, and I can't wait for more celebrity appearances. Perhaps after them I can BUY PRODUCTS NOW.

Oh, and I liked when I opened the dash to message someone and the game froze up. But hey, I bought the game and the broken drums, so joke's on me, I guess

New Romantic
    I loved the Nuge's entrance, but man, I'd be happy if I never play that song again. Whether you like the song or not, it's awful in terms of gameplay -- it's long with huge stretches where you do nothing, on every instrument.

I like a lot of the GHWT setlist, but sometimes it feels ... compromised, like they get stuck with certain songs in pursuit of marketing bullet points (boss battles! international songs!) or get saddled with content as part of larger deals (an REM pack of new songs? As launch-week content? Really?).

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    I loved the Nuge's entrance, but man, I'd be happy if I never play that song again. Whether you like the song or not, it's awful in terms of gameplay -- it's long with huge stretches where you do nothing, on every instrument.

I thought it was interesting rhythmically, but there really needs to be a time limit on these goddamn songs. If it's in the box, it MUST be <5 minutes. Anything can go in DLC, but don't make me sit there for an hour listening to the guitarist masturbate.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
    giant KFC bucket
    I hated that too. I enjoyed the long guitar solo, though. The only other Nugent song I know is Cat Scratch Fever, which I hate, so I was surprised how much I liked it.

Social Worker
    Information on the Drum-tuning kit was posted on the Guitar Hero community site, if you've been having trouble with hits registering
    Drum Controller Tuning Kit Available Now!
    10/29/08 - Neversoft

We've learned that certain number of drum controllers manufactured for Guitar Hero World Tour may have sensitivity issues. To correct the sensitivity issues, a drum controller tuning kit, which includes a downloadable software application and a USB MIDI interface, can now be requested at www.activision.com/support

For those of you who may already own a USB MIDI interface, you can download the tuning software and instructions NOW at http://redoctane.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...?p_faqid=21748 at the bottom of the page.

If using your own MIDI interface it should be possible to tune your drums, however, as we have not tested the software with all available USB MIDI interfaces, there is a chance that your changes may not be able to be saved. If you are using your own USB MIDI interface to address sensitivity issues you have encountered and experience this issue with your USB MIDI interface, please contact www.activision.com/support and we will send you a drum controller tuning kit at no cost.
    http://community.guitarhero.com/news_posts/77

Social Worker
    I'm a little surprised discussion of this game came and went so quickly.

After playing this for a couple of hours a day every day for a week, I have come to realize that I just can't be objective about Guitar Hero any more. I feel angry the entire time I'm playing, and I have gotten very very little pleasure out of it. It's so ugly. There's plenty of other stuff to complain about, but honestly it's the presentation that I can't get past.

I'm selling it to Gamestop this weekend (unless somebody here wants to buy a very slightly used copy of GHWT (game only) for $40 shipped).

How To Go
    Generous offer! Although I'm holding out for a more realistic $20.

Also: It's not a platform{TM}.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR View Post
    I'm a little surprised discussion of this game came and went so quickly.

After playing this for a couple of hours a day every day for a week, I have come to realize that I just can't be objective about Guitar Hero any more. I feel angry the entire time I'm playing, and I have gotten very very little pleasure out of it. It's so ugly. There's plenty of other stuff to complain about, but honestly it's the presentation that I can't get past.

I'm selling it to Gamestop this weekend (unless somebody here wants to buy a very slightly used copy of GHWT (game only) for $40 shipped).
    I have that same feeling about it. I had it from Gamefly for one night and sent it back the next day. I just couldn't get into it at all after RB & RB2.

New Romantic
    I too was surprised how quickly discussion of this game died off. (I can't play until this Sunday, as I've been away on a business/pleasure trip all week.)

It doesn't bode well..

Spinning Toe
    I'm still digging it on guitar and bass. I am not a fan of hitting blue+yellow for activating star power on drums. I also have some issues with the drum charts that probably have more to do with truncating from 5 colors down to 4 on the RB2 drum kit than anything else.

I think the on-disk setlist is better than RB2's on-disk setlist. GH:WT has less out and out clunkers and the top songs (Crazy Train, Hotel Cali, Hot For The Teacher, Pull Me Under, Tool) are all better than just about anything in RB2. Of course when you factor in DLC Rock Band 2 has an enormous advantage.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
    Generous offer! Although I'm holding out for a more realistic $20.
    I'm willing to negotiate.

Hustle
    Greetings:
    Just got a first hands-on with it tonight. First impressions:

The "tunnel" thing on vocals is weird. It feels like it's harder to tell where you are relative to the note when you're off pitch. I do like how each part of the phrase lights up when you get it right. I miss the "awesome" for doing well on a phrase, but I'm guessing the green light means awesome and the yellow light means strong. Getting star power for every phrase is interesting, but star power triggering is dumb; my wife and I ended up having one person sing and the other control star power because the mic wasn't triggering reliably, and it's hard to see when you have star power because the indicator is so far away.

Drums were pretty easy to pick up. It's hard to compare apples to apples, since I knew nothing about drumming when I picked up Rock Band and I started with GH:WT on expert. In band mode, it felt like there were fewer notes on screen at once, so I was having to react very quickly to flourishes and changes in patterns. It's a bummer that you can't do the tutorials without the official drum kit. Triggering star power was hard to get the hang of. The fill sections were hard to spot because it blends in with the background. Sometimes the bass kick was also hard to spot for the same reason. I may have to look up some YouTube videos to see what the chart conversion is doing. The tolerances feel a little looser, like there's more margin for error. I can't "read" my streak multiplier when I'm playing because it's too distracting, much less the streak counter. I do like that it tells you when you cross thresholds (50 note streak, 100 note streak, etc.).

I'm not a fan of the song selection and unlocking mechanism. Part of that may be that I'm just too used to the RB method, but having a "mystery" song (encore) at the end of each set is weird. Some of the sets seemed to be consistent stylistically, but others weren't. Not having individual songs means you have to play songs in sets of at least three.

Only got a few hours in tonight, but overall, not impressed. I'm sure I'll put in a lot more time over the weekend, all the same.

Best,
    Michael.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR View Post
    I'm willing to negotiate.
    Good! But seriously, those sleazeballs at Gamestop will give you more for it than I'm willing to.

Spinning Toe
    What really surprises me about the discussion so far is that nobody has mentioned the music creator. It's one thing if you're not interested in trying it yourself but nobody's even remarked about downloading any fan created songs or anything.

New Romantic
    I finally made it through the Tool pack on expert drums. These are some great (and difficult) drumming songs.