Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero World Tour: SPOILER THREAD

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
    The fact that they haven't announced anything on this issue ensures I buy nothing.
    You own GHWT?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard_King View Post
    You own GHWT?
    Nope. A friend brought it over awhile back and I put 6 hours into it. I might get it cheap when I need a new guitar. No need to waste money on DLC if it isn't a "platform."

World's End Supernova
    Nope. A friend brought it over awhile back and I put 6 hours into it. I might get it cheap when I need a new guitar. No need to waste money on DLC if it isn't a "platform."
    So not owning it would probably be the first barrier before you purchase DLC for it.

Battle Dancer How To Go
    Or the fact that there's been no mention of supporting GHWT as a platform for content now and in the future is the first barrier to him owning it.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholly Schmidt View Post
    Or the fact that there's been no mention of supporting GHWT as a platform for content now and in the future is the first barrier to him owning it.
    Yeah, I don't think that's the case.

Social Worker
    I bought DLC for Rock Band long before I owned the game. Granted, I was borrowing it from a friend for months, but still.

How To Go
    Yeah, I don't think that's the case.
    It's certainly an issue. The first one is I just don't like it a whole lot.

World's End Supernova
    It's certainly an issue. The first one is I just don't like it a whole lot.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Lizard_King; 12-20-2008 at 08:12 AM.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony View Post
    I bought DLC for Rock Band long before I owned the game. Granted, I was borrowing it from a friend for months, but still.
    Right, but I know that's not what's happening here.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Well, I'm certainly not closed off to the possibility, and I doubt if shadarr or Midnight Son are either.

I know that I was definitely tempted when the new Metallica album was released, and compatible with both GH3 and GHWT, and was on sale for $15.

I definitely think GHWT is closer to the cusp of being a game I'd be willing to buy DLC for. I think if Rock Band didn't exist, I probably would have already bought the new Metallica album, since I heard that it's sound quality is better than the version you can buy online, or the CD version.

The Oasis album is also another chink in that resistance. The resistance against buying DLC music for a game other than Rock Band. I think there's definitely a threshold here, a tipping point that's different for every person, where if that threshold is crossed, we'd be willing to come back to Guitar Hero.

I know that I only rented the game, but it'll be in bargain bins soon, especially after GH:Metallica comes out, so I don't think it'll be all that expensive a proposition to buy it. Plus just the sheer amount of these plastic instruments coming out is making these things cheaper and cheaper as we move forward. Do you know I bought Guitar Hero 3 for my brother, with guitar, for $25 at Micro center?

(Tangent: Granted, it was used, but the LP is the most reliable plastic guitar, and sure enough it works perfectly. Now my brother and sister-in-law are both hooked, and now I've lent them Guitar Hero 2, and the original Rock Band. It'll be interesting to see if they like the Neversoft or the Harmonix version of the music platform better. Since they were exposed to GH3 first, so far they seem to like the Neversoft vision better. But I think that'll change once they try Rock Band).

The point is that's become increasingly cheaper, and monetarily more plausible to have more than one music 'platform' now that there's instrument cross-compatibility across all these games. So a few right moves from Activision, and I could see more and more Rock Band fans being willing to have a second platform that they buy music for. Especially as it becomes clearer that the music available on the two platforms will not coincide but be exclusive to each one.

How To Go
    What are the odds Activision will do "right" thing? The thing that benefits the gamer?

What are the odds Activision will do "right" thing? The thing that benefits the gamer?
    I think it's inevitable, because it'll be more profitable for them in the long run. They didn't initially want to do cross-compatible instruments at first either, remember? But they eventually saw the light that it's to everyone's benefit, and they stopped trying to squeeze money out of Harmonix in exchange for cross-compatibility.

I think eventually they'll see that the Harmonix way of forward-and-backward compatibility for DLC releases is the right way to go because it'll make people more willing to view them as a platform, and therefore will result in more sales. Hence, I think they'll come around to that way of doing things eventually.

I'm just hoping that around the time that happens, their actual game, Guitar Hero 5, or whatever it'll be called, will be much better as well.

How To Go
    "Wait and see" shall be my strategery.

Social Worker
    Bhopal, India and Institute, WV Gamertag: MonkeyBunker
    Does the ION kit work with GHWT on the 360 yet?

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Union Carbide View Post
    Does the ION kit work with GHWT on the 360 yet?
    Yes. It is detected as a 4 pad set.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
    Yes. It is detected as a 4 pad set.
    Meaning only the four basic pads work? I'm considering upgrading in the new year because the feel of the GHWT drums really sold me on the difference certain qualities can make to me.

Social Worker
    Bhopal, India and Institute, WV Gamertag: MonkeyBunker
    Yah, only 4 pads work. It can't do detection of the separate blue/green/yellow pad/cymbals at all.
    Second edit: the cymbals have the same function as the pads, whereas in RB2 they actually trigger cymbal sounds during fills/before and after the song

Also, the note charts suffer greatly from being compressed to 4 notes. I'm assuming that's the reason, anyway, it's entirely possible the note charts suck for the GHWT set too, but I can't speak to that.

Edit: the drum fill sounds used in GHWT are FUCKING TERRIBLE. Paper bag snare, pie-pan high hat and empty plastic water jug toms.

World's End Supernova
    Brutal. I guess if the emphasis is on RB (which it always will be for me), it's not a big deal. It's better than the weirdo "one dead cymbal/four regular pads including a cymbal" situation I have now in rock band, which I still like better than my entertainingly malfunctioning RB1 drums.

The five note charts are pretty entertaining as far as my medium/just messing around with low end hard senses can tell. I've only run into a few stinkers on drums. You'd think at least the GHWT drums and the ION kit would be more software customizable, given that at least the former lets you use the MIDI port to great effect in calibration.

Edit: the drum fill sounds used in GHWT are FUCKING TERRIBLE. Paper bag snare, pie-pan high hat and empty plastic water jug toms.
    I hadn't really noticed that, but I bet now I will. Also, the whammy bar distortion makes songs sound fucking terrible at times. I wish there was a "degree of effect" slider for both games, since RB (much more occasionally) also penalizes my desire to get a higher score/more star power with horrible sounds.

Account closed Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock8man View Post
    I think it's inevitable, because it'll be more profitable for them in the long run. They didn't initially want to do cross-compatible instruments at first either, remember? But they eventually saw the light that it's to everyone's benefit, and they stopped trying to squeeze money out of Harmonix in exchange for cross-compatibility.
    They were trying to get in on the RB drum installed base.

Account closed New Romantic
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    I hadn't really noticed that, but I bet now I will. Also, the whammy bar distortion makes songs sound fucking terrible at times. I wish there was a "degree of effect" slider for both games, since RB (much more occasionally) also penalizes my desire to get a higher score/more star power with horrible sounds.
    Amen. Some songs it's really fun though (any of them that use a talkbox for example.)

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Union Carbide View Post
    Also, the note charts suffer greatly from being compressed to 4 notes. I'm assuming that's the reason, anyway, it's entirely possible the note charts suck for the GHWT set too, but I can't speak to that.

The 5-note drum charts for GHWT suck on Expert. It's pretty badly undercharted on most songs since they compress everything down to exactly 2 cymbals and 3 drums. I'd have to imagine the 4-note chart compression is even worse.

The drum fill sounds with a velocity-sensitive set actually aren't that bad since they do quite a good job of handling dynamics. With my Roland connected through the GHWT MIDI I'd say there were probably ~8-16 different sounds I could coax out of each drum/cymbal based on how hard I struck the heads.

I actually like the songs and gameplay more in World Tour than Rock Band 2.

We've put in countless hours into WT and only a few handful in RB2..

Account closed New Romantic
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsWill View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MyNameIsWill the one person on this board who preferred Guitar Hero 3 to Rock Band? In which case, I don't find it surprising he'd prefer GHWT to Rock Band 2.

How To Go
    There's just no explaining some things.

New Romantic
    I think I've posted this before, but I really like Guitar Hero World Tour. I'm sure most of you guys are playing on Hard and Expert, but I still play guitar on Medium and GH:WT blows Rock Band out of the water in terms of fun note charting on Medium guitar. Rock Band is way too easy on Medium and yet, too hard (for me) on Hard. I also really like the GH drums, especially the foot pedal which stays put nicely on the carpet in my basement. The song selection is great, and even songs I don't know are fun to play. I didn't expect to like GH:WT that much, but I've really enjoyed playing it.

Social Worker

We've put in countless hours into WT and only a few handful in RB2..
    The gameplay in the two games is identical.

How To Go
    No, McFly.

Not really. RB seems to emphasize what Harmonix thinks it's the "right" way to chart 22 frets onto 5 while GH seems to focus on what delivers the most fun varied note charts (even if they aren't "accurate" which really seems like a silly notion when you consider what they're doing).

World's End Supernova
    Oh, fuck, here we go again.