Thread: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    If you don't have just the right touch for jumping, pursuit of many of the datacrons is the path to madness.
    I watched the Youtube on how to get the 10+ to all stats datacron... jebus.

Good Shape
    I'm inclined to skip them. How much of a hit is that going to cost in my stats at end game?
    I'm not sure it's significant. Many of the early ones are +1 or +2. The later ones are higher. I haven't looked, since I'm mostly climbing that mountain because it's there rather than for "get the highest stats possible" endgame purposes, but I'd hazard a guess that you'd get somewhere upward of +20 to each stat if you got them all.

I've been getting them because I'm a completist and because it's content that's worth doing at least once, but even so I skipped the ones on Nar Shaddaa (lots of jumping for a couple of them), Tatooine (one is in an Imperial-guarded area that basically requires you to die your way in, and another requires a half-hour balloon ride across the desert), and Hoth (one requires killing a level 47 champion).

I had skipped Balmorra and Quesh, but came back to those this past weekend. It was a nice break from leveling. The ones on those two worlds were very easy to get. There was little jumping. One of the Quesh ones had an interesting puzzle aspect to it.

I find the jumping ones tedious in the extreme, since I don't have the finger-fu necessary to make perfect leaps. One of the Hoth datacrons is atop the wreck of the Star of Coruscant dreadnaught and requires walking along ledges on the side of the ship. One of the ones on Nar Shaddaa quite literally requires tightrope walking along the cables that hold up tarps above areas filled with mobs. And those are the relatively low-level ones. I can only imagine what the sadists dreamed up for the ones toward the end.

I find some of the Planet Quests are quite good as well. The main problem with the Planet Quest line is you can't tell what quest starts the main planetary quest sequence, since there's nothing to distinguish it from any of the other random quests available to all classes. Also, presumably the replay value is less on them, since they aren't class specific.
    So far, every single planet quest I've seen has been given out by an agent at the spaceport that you encounter on your way to your storyline quest. They're also the only non-storyline quests that will send you into a new area. All of the others are people asking for help in the immediate map section they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    So far, every single planet quest I've seen has been given out by an agent at the spaceport that you encounter on your way to your storyline quest. They're also the only non-storyline quests that will send you into a new area. All of the others are people asking for help in the immediate map section they're in.
    Huh, you may be right about the spaceport. I never made that connection, but now that you mention it, I think that matches the ones I've seen, as well.

Screaming Willies lead singer New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fortson View Post
    I've had almost no luck selling crafted items (synthweaving in this case) on a PvP server. Anyone else having luck selling on one of those? What sells?
    recipes for orange gear that looks good is a big seller. Especially jedi robes that don't have the stupid always-on hood.

Good Shape
    Huh, you may be right about the spaceport. I never made that connection, but now that you mention it, I think that matches the ones I've seen, as well.
    I've enjoyed most of the planetary quests, but since they're identical across all classes I probably won't do them again with alts unless I need them for leveling purposes. I'm way overleveled right now, which I did intentionally to compensate for having never played an MMO with this sort of interface before and because I'd read that the Jedi Sentinel had a very low tolerance for error (and there have been times where the overleveling has come in handy, primarily due to me making mistakes).

recipes for orange gear that looks good is a big seller. Especially jedi robes that don't have the stupid always-on hood.
    This. A thousand times this. You can't find good hoodless orange Jedi gear on the market. We did Taral V and the Maelstrom Prison last night, and an orange hoodless robe dropped, but Townsend won the roll for it (and his was the only character that already had a hoodless orange robe already). No, I'm not bitter.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Galadin View Post
    I have been having issues with the Light/Dark side choices. I love the game, and am having a blast, but I have also had problems with these choices. Then thinking further into it, I started to wonder if I am applying my own morality and not the Force morality correctly.

I think, when it comes to the force and light/dark side in this game, it is best to think of what choice will preserve life and what choice will do the most damage to life. So while the choices may not be the most moral, letting force users live and convert to the dark side, in that situation it was the choice that preserved the most of the life essence (light side of the force).
    Something i didnt find out till much later(and mention now only cause maybe other people are like me), but because i used to type the number rather than click on it, I didnt realize that you can mouseover the force-responses and the interior icon on the choice disk will show you which path your choice lies. If you're ever more concerned about DS/LS rather than RP, you can just do that and forget about the conversation...

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrhic View Post
    Something i didnt find out till much later(and mention now only cause maybe other people are like me), but because i used to type the number rather than click on it, I didnt realize that you can mouseover the force-responses and the interior icon on the choice disk will show you which path your choice lies. If you're ever more concerned about DS/LS rather than RP, you can just do that and forget about the conversation...
    There is an a option to show them at all times so you don't need to mouse over them.

Mad Chester
    A short question. If I buy the game for 59.99 does that include ANY playing time/subscription or do I need to purchase that as well?

Good Shape
    It comes with a month subscription, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammet View Post
    A short question. If I buy the game for 59.99 does that include ANY playing time/subscription or do I need to purchase that as well?
    It comes with the standard free month, but you must put in your card and subscription plan. Can cancel before your free month is out, but you do have to set it up to play.

New Romantic
    Favorite bug so far, from last night: Action Figure Satele!

Broad Band
    If you're buying it for $9.99, you're buying the old Knights of the Old Republic game, NOT the MMO

Neo Acoustic
    I had Action Figure Satelle happen to me on Tython as well. It is funny to watch.

Good Shape
    That happened to me in the beta. She displayed right for me in early access, though.

The camera angles on some of the cutvids often don't make sense. There are times you're zoomed in on the back of someone's head or something similar. The other night, I was leveling with a consular and the cutvids occassionally went to looking at the lizard companion's rear end instead of showing people talking. It happened several times; very odd.

In light of another horrible non-AA image posted -

How to enable AA -

Go to -

C:\Users\<name>AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Edit client_settings.ini

Under the [Renderer] section add -

AntiAliasingLevel = 8

(Or whatever number you want.)

Mad Chester
    I feel your pain on hoods. My inquisitor is a Tiwlek, and they totally fucked up the hood situation for them, so basically I have to cling to any decent looking hoodless set I can find.

Helmets aren't much better, where my lekku just vanish. Oops, not a twilek anymore!

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
    In light of another horrible non-AA image posted -

How to enable AA -

Go to -

C:\Users\<name>AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Edit client_settings.ini

Under the [Renderer] section add -

AntiAliasingLevel = 8

(Or whatever number you want.)
    Here is a nifty tool if you'd rather generate an ini file automatically: http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/sta...-old-republic/

AA is not strictly better. Some people prefer AA off.
    Last edited by rossm; 01-03-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: lagggggg

How To Go
    The INI doesn't work for ATI. I just turn morphological on via RadeonPro.

Mad Chester
    I totally dread learning new skills on my Scoundrel, because I'm running out of bar slots and hotkeys for them. I have 3 bars full of abilities at level 31. I hotkey all of my abilities I expect to use during combat, and there are just too many of them that I use regularly in various situations.

I'd love the ability to make some fallthrough-style macros. Rift was really great about giving you tons of abilities that macroed well together. I thought that was a good way to handle it.

Mad Chester
    It's especially great design that while you really need all 4 skill bars, the 4th bar and the expanded companion skill bar go in the same space...

New Romantic
    I'm sorry my horrible no-AA screenshot offended you.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by rossm View Post
    I totally dread learning new skills on my Scoundrel, because I'm running out of bar slots and hotkeys for them. I have 3 bars full of abilities at level 31. I hotkey all of my abilities I expect to use during combat, and there are just too many of them that I use regularly in various situations.

I'd love the ability to make some fallthrough-style macros. Rift was really great about giving you tons of abilities that macroed well together. I thought that was a good way to handle it.
    Yes, a thousand times YES. I'm already out of space at level 15 for crying out loud. And I'm most comfortable hitting keys 1-6 with my left hand, anything higher than that better not be an in-combat ability. This game, I've got ten abilities I could fire in combat. Definitely needs Rift's fall through macro-ability. I recall setting up my battle-cleric in that game with about 2 or 3 buttons that cycled through all my combat abilities depending on cooldowns. So awesome.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPerson View Post
    It's especially great design that while you really need all 4 skill bars, the 4th bar and the expanded companion skill bar go in the same space...
    Not only that, but keybinds for your bottom bar don't work when the companion bar is over it. Also, if you place skills on a bar, hotkey them, then hide the bar the hotkeys don't work either.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPerson View Post
    There's no way I'm looking at those side action bars in a fight either.

Social Worker
    I agree that there are too many skills that are required. I've got two full bars of 12 keys that I actually need to use frequently, plus the right side bar has buffs, stances and consumables, and it's out of room, and i'm only level 42. THere are still 2-3 new buttons that I'm going to have to add and have no idea where they're going to go.

The sad part is that there is no fix for this until at least the first expansion - no way BioWare is going to rebalance the game around fewer abilities until then.

Social Worker
    Sure there is, Menzo.

There's Macros. Then allowing a customisable UI, like Rift. Or...

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by rossm View Post
    Not only that, but keybinds for your bottom bar don't work when the companion bar is over it. Also, if you place skills on a bar, hotkey them, then hide the bar the hotkeys don't work either.
    Why on earth the hotkeys don't work when the companion bar is overlayed is beyond me, but there is an option to move the companion bar over to the left or right side instead. I realize this doesn't fix the issue, but it's a lot better when all your critical stuff is in the two bottom bars.

Mad Chester

I bind: 1-6, q, e, r, f, x, c, tilde and combinations with shift, alt, ctrl.
    The only abilities in that shot I don't really use are:
    alt-5 : kolto pack, mostly superceded by emergency medpack
    ctrl-e : a snare

And I know I'm going to get more abilities..

Social Worker
    FYI you look like Magneto from that angle.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    FYI you look like Magneto from that angle.
    I know, isn't it awesome? :D