Thread: All good demons go to... um... sequel? - Diablo 3 Announced.

Ummm I think that was for 2 weekends ago.

So... think I can sell an original Diablo 1 beta CD for some decent coin? I was thinking I should ebay it for the release of Diablo 3...

To bad I uninstalled the Beta. I suppose I could re-download it. At least they can get yet another test to see what Tuesday will really be like.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Slainte Mhath View Post
    Probably news to exactly noone on QT3, and apologies if this was posted previously among all the back and forth (I looked but didn't see it)...

Diablo 3 Open Beta Weekend. Try before you buy this weekend. Downloads are available now.
    What are you talking about? Check the dates, my friend.

(HINT: There is no beta this weekend. Just sit tight till the 15th.)

New Romantic
    Well I guess it is news to exactly noone then. Sorry. A friend emailed the link to me, and I reposted without reading CLOSELY.

Kotaku. Frowny-face.

Hint, putting words like 'stupidification' in quotes doesn't make them or you sound less stupid. OH NO I JUST DID IT WHAT HAVE I DONE

Social Worker
    lol I love how the top two comments are identical videos of Jay exactly addressing this complaint from last year.

Do people who ask and answer their own questions sound stupid? Yes.

Spinning Toe
    more bottom of the barrel "journalism" from that yellow rag Kotaku.

Social Worker
    New rule: any article on the internet that includes the words "dumbing down" is not worth reading.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    more bottom of the barrel "journalism" from that yellow rag Kotaku.
    In other news, water is wet. At least Fox News is sometimes amusing. (Not when they're trying to be, either)

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN8R View Post
    lol I love how the top two comments are identical videos of Jay exactly addressing this complaint from last year.
    I agreed with the Kotaku article as it seemed to match my experience in the open weekend.

I then watched the two linked videos, and realised how incredibly wrong I was... they have a good rationale for why they removed what they did. So even though all this information is all months old, I was glad to see it.

World's End Supernova
    What did Kotaku want? Clicks. What did Kotaku get? Clicks.

Successful article.

New Romantic
    Nobody's complaining about the article's "success".

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenM View Post
    What did Kotaku want? Clicks. What did Kotaku get? Clicks.

Successful article.
    That's why I'm not clicking.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotPants View Post
    Nobody's complaining about the article's "success".
    I get that. However, it's important to understand why these kinds of articles get written. And it's not because the author actually cares about the subject at hand.

Neo Acoustic
    Surprise, I agree with the article. The reasons they removed skillpoints are good, but the reasons they didn't just fix the system so they could keep replayability and character distinction are hard to find. They went with the obvious and lazy way out. I don't really care about attributes - but essentially it's the same kind of streamlining.

But that's me - and we've been through it a million times :)

Back to your D3 Bliz-can-do-no-wrong worshipping, and I'll be right there playing the hell out of it.... 3 times (one for each character that appeals to me).

Social Worker
    I find what I've seen of D3 to be underwhelming but I don't quite understand where you're coming from. What, there's only one proper way to build a game or the developer is being "lazy"? I mean he says flat out they had all that stuff in game and found it unsatisfying. It seems to me Blizzard did their due diligence and decided to go in another direction. You don't have to like it, I just find calling them lazy -- after several years of development -- a bit odd.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by DKDArtagnan View Post
    Surprise, I agree with the article. The reasons they removed skillpoints are good, but the reasons they didn't just fix the system so they could keep replayability and character distinction are hard to find. They went with the obvious and lazy way out. I don't really care about attributes - but essentially it's the same kind of streamlining.

But that's me - and we've been through it a million times :)

Back to your D3 Bliz-can-do-no-wrong worshipping, and I'll be right there playing the hell out of it.... 3 times (one for each character that appeals to me).
    Skill points are actually my only real "problem" with the TL2 beta right now ;) Fantastic game, but it made me appreciate being able to play with ALL the toys of my class.

Neo Acoustic
    I didn't call them lazy, I said they took the lazy way out in this particular instance. Like Bioware did with Mass Effect 2 and removing inventory and their loot system. It didn't work well in Mass Effect - so they removed it.

I'm suggesting it CAN work, and that you don't HAVE to re-implement D2 - because THAT implementation was fundamentally flawed.

Neo Acoustic
    Skill points are actually my only real "problem" with the TL2 beta right now ;) Fantastic game, but it made me appreciate being able to play with ALL the toys of my class.
    I find that having everything available at once, diminishes the joy of each available toy.

Never felt like having too many games to play at once, or having too many options? ;)

Btw, what took you so long!?!

Spinning Toe
    I find that having everything available at once, diminishes the joy of each available toy.

Never felt like having too many games to play at once, or having too many options? ;)

Btw, what took you so long!?!
    Took me so long to what???

Also I think I would be a little more OK with skill points if developers stopped wanting me to dump them in passive skills. There's nothing quite so deflating as getting a new skill point, and having the best way to use it be to dump it into a +0.5% increase on some effect instead of a shiny new active skill.

Damn, should have looked before I clicked. Been working very hard on not giving pageviews to Gawker for a couple of years now. Not trying to out-douche or hipster you all, I just dislike the company and don't want to give them my business anymore than I want to give it to Chik Fil A or Cracker Barrel.

Nonetheless, it is nice to see my views elucidated in the press, even if the entire world still thinks I'm an idiot dickhead for espousing them in the light of Jay Wilson's Super Game Design powers. I mean, that guy's only working for the single most successful game developer in the world, and I'm a fat slob barely making ends meet in a shit apartment. I think it's clear which of us knows what's going on.

BTW, the rumors (and it shouldn't be surprising) are that black hats all over the world are gearing up to go all out to grab Battle.net accounts. The RMAH is just too tempting. If you don't have an authenticator on your account, now would be the time to get one.

Neo Acoustic
    Took me so long to what???
    Take a wild guess.

Also I think I would be a little more OK with skill points if developers stopped wanting me to dump them in passive skills. There's nothing quite so deflating as getting a new skill point, and having the best way to use it be to dump it into a +0.5% increase on some effect instead of a shiny new active skill.
    Actually, I think a reasonable alternative would be to implement a talent point system. Something akin to WoW - where you boost a certain kind of skill to a limited degree (entirely separate from the skills, so you wouldn't miss a single toy). As in, your "build" wouldn't have to be optimal - but it would just help you to facilitate what you're trying to do. That way, you get to retain character distinction - and the min/max'ers will want to replay to get that final edge to their chars. People without that particular inclination would still be fine no matter what, except perhaps for the final difficulty - where people would have to invest heavily into learning their character anyway.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando Penblade View Post
    Nonetheless, it is nice to see my views elucidated in the press, even if the entire world still thinks I'm an idiot dickhead for espousing them in the light of Jay Wilson's Super Game Design powers. I mean, that guy's only working for the single most successful game developer in the world, and I'm a fat slob barely making ends meet in a shit apartment. I think it's clear which of us knows what's going on.
    You mean, like people developing McDonald's recipes must be better cooks than most people in the world? ;)

IMHO, Blizzard are kings of core gameplay - not game design, which they're merely good at. They basically don't design much - they just test ideas... A LOT.

How about this?

If I can play a melee wizard, even if it's fuck-all awful, the game is great. Otherwise, it's at best good :)

And DKD, I'd argue that the suits at McD's corporate headquarters who determine pricing/distribution/corporate policy are far better business people than the owners of high-end restaurants, at the very least. So long as we agree that "better business people" is determined by "business people who make fuckloads of money."

I'm not even sure what we're discussing anymore at this point, though.

Spinning Toe
    Take a wild guess.

Actually, I think a reasonable alternative would be to implement a talent point system. Something akin to WoW - where you boost a certain kind of skill to a limited degree (entirely separate from the skills, so you wouldn't miss a single toy). As in, your "build" wouldn't have to be optimal - but it would just help you to facilitate what you're trying to do. That way, you get to retain character distinction - and the min/max'ers will want to replay to get that final edge to their chars. People without that particular inclination would still be fine no matter what, except perhaps for the final difficulty - where people would have to invest heavily into learning their character anyway.
    But one thing we DO know form wow is that your build would have to be optimal ;)

Although less so without any group raiding or competitive PvP to bring peer pressure to bear.

But I think some implementation of that type would be fantastic, IF it was restricted to passive boosts only. So every time you level up you get a few points to click on, to satisfy that "spend some points" urge, and it goes towards passive boosts that are not skill specific. And meanwhile you get all the active skills for your class. I think a system like that would be what I would want to try out.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando Penblade View Post
    How about this?

If I can play a melee wizard, even if it's fuck-all awful, the game is great. Otherwise, it's at best good :)
    I'd tend to agree that Bliz are spoiling their audience, and that it's not necessarily best for the long-term experience to do that.

And DKD, I'd argue that the suits at McD's corporate headquarters who determine pricing/distribution/corporate policy are far better business people than the owners of high-end restaurants, at the very least. So long as we agree that "better business people" is determined by "business people who make fuckloads of money."

I'm not even sure what we're discussing anymore at this point, though.
    I think I was agreeing with you, and as such - there is no discussion :)