Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron Lore shut down

Social Worker

Iron Lore shut down

D'oh. :( Occasionally ran into some of the guys in the past years and had a great time chatting with Jeff Goodsill at GDC 2006 and in Leipzig last year.So, good luck to everyone involved in the studio, I guess...
    It is with great regret that we must announce that as of close of business Tuesday, February 19, 2008 Iron Lore Entertainment has ceased active game development. Several unrelated events occurred which resulted in Iron Lore being unable to secure funding for its next project.
    -Julian

EDIT: I see it's already been mentioned here.

Huh. They must be skiing down mountains of coke because I can't imagine how else the developers of the critically acclaimed and commercially successful titan quest wouldn't get funded. It's got to be massive mismanagement behind the scenes.

Social Worker
    I think you overestimated the "commercially successful" part...

Account closed World's End Supernova
    Aw jeez. That sucks. I liked Titan Quest!

Maybe Michael can give us some inside info.

New Romantic
    There was this post where it was revealed that they've made little or no money off of TQ (post-development, anyway), so maybe sales weren't as good as we thought. Our own enthusiasm for it (one of the longest threads on the board!) might be colouring our perception of how successful it was.

I feel like PC gaming really must be in dire straits when solid developers like these guys can't get funded.

New Romantic
    Did DoW Soulstorm get finished then? Or did they basically just turn a master over to THQ and close their doors?

Social Worker
    That sucks, Titan Quest was a great game. Moreover, it was very well polished and tested (a rare thing in the world of PC gaming).

I hope someone realizes there was a great team there and hires them for other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I feel like PC gaming really must be in dire straits when solid developers like these guys can't get funded.
    Yeah.

That being said, Titan Quest did have serious performance problems, and I imagine that that was probably a factor in sales.

But still, they proved they could make a good game. Not getting funding for another game just screams of publishers not wanting to be involved with the PC.

Social Worker
    Could have sworn that I heard/read somewhere that about 750k units of TQ (plus add-on) got shipped worldwide.
    Or did they basically just turn a master over to THQ and close their doors?
    Seems like it.

-Julian

World's End Supernova
    I'm sad for PC gaming, but I also continue to be saddened for Boston's economic status. I gotta move, damn it.

Social Worker

I think the PC Domed rating should be bumped to Red!

Wow, that's very sad news. Titan Quest and Immortal Throne were absolutely wonderful games. Having just finished IT, I enjoyed TQ+IT even more than Diablo 2.

Assuming the sales were not what we would have expected - I wonder if WOW has made it harder for this sort of game to be successful. I find it hard to imagine a better Diablo clone than TQ, and if TQ can't move enough units to be a hit, I wonder what could?

Keeper of the Frop Bog How To Go
    That is so wrong. I loved Titan Quest.

Account closed How To Go
    Sucky.

I wouldn't necessarily take it as a PC domedness indicator when we don't know what happened. They might have missed 5 deadlines in a row on their warhammer game or something.

re: numbers

I don't have full numbers, but US and UK combined shows only about 300k of the game, and 70k of the expansion.

Of course, I'm sure they sold a couple on steam. Still though.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by bahimiron View Post
    I'm sad for PC gaming, but I also continue to be saddened for Boston's economic status. I gotta move, damn it.
    It's just the Game developers that seem to suffer mostly in the Boston area, I think it's a curse. Plenty of other stuff seems to be doing just fine.

New Romantic
    I also got the impression that Titan Quest was doing well. For sure better than the majority of games released.

If that wasn't enough I guess it was a problem of costs going out of scale, or maybe a loss of core devs to other studios.

Quote Originally Posted by HRose View Post
    or maybe a loss of core devs to other studios.
    That doesn't affect a company's ability to get funding, as anyone who'd pay for a project doesn't actually know the employee makeup of a company, for the most part.

Seriously, if that were possible, many companies would've failed long long ago.

New Romantic
    I'd have bought TQ on 360 and every DLC they put out.

just sayin'

Social Worker
    Wow, this breaks my heart. :(

Such a great game, and a really cool group of people.

Fuck.

Neo Acoustic
    That sucks.

Loved Titan Quest and was looking forward to sequel.

Hustle
    Like everyone else here I find this very sad and disheartening. The game ran fine on my system and I enjoyed it for quite a long time. As mentioned above, there was that quote where they said they did not sell enough to clear a profit. I hope these guys can resurface elsewhere and make other great games that turn out to be profitable.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Crane View Post
    I find it hard to imagine a better Diablo clone than TQ, and if TQ can't move enough units to be a hit, I wonder what could?
    That's easy. Random and interesting "dungeons" with online coop & pvp. None of which I really cared about, I fucking loved TQ & it's expansion, but I think it was the missing ingredient for it to really take off in popularity.

Or WoW could just be crushing everything under it's heel, but I honestly doubt that.

Just to reiterate my feelings from the TQ thread: Fek. Arse.

Neo Acoustic
    Yeah, I can't decide whether to play Titan Quest or Mythos. So I stick to Civ IV. Or skiing.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    It's just the Game developers that seem to suffer mostly in the Boston area, I think it's a curse. Plenty of other stuff seems to be doing just fine.
    Very true...

I've been a (non-game) programmer in Boston for years and its been a fairly smooth ride. Kendall Square in Cambridge seems to be overflowing with openings...

Too bad about Iron Lore...I enjoyed Titan Quest very much.

Neo Acoustic
    I do think lack of secure multiplay made the game less broadly popular than it could have been, but it's definitely surprising that they weren't able to line up a next project. Considering how long it took for them to get things moving on TQ, though, maybe the problem was on the proposal side, rather than publishers not wanting to work with them or do PC games.

New Romantic
    I thought their current project was multiplatform. If that's true, then this has nothing to do with PC gaming being doomed.

New Romantic
    Unfortunately, it looks like they were another victim of the "project-to-project" funding model that still runs many game studios. As much as I might complain about consolidation and mega-publishers buying studios, people like EA and Vivendi are at least trying to shift over to a more sustainable software development model. (Er, at least I think that's what they're doing... ?)

- Alan

Hustle
    Sad news. Quality guys doing quality games. We need more of them, not less.