Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 59

Thread: Games that don't need to be installed

  1. #1
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759

    Games that don't need to be installed

    ...that aren't browser based.

    I have a second job that puts me behind a desk giving people directions to the various halls and stuff. I have a computer, but no Internet.

    Usually I just read or play with my DS. But I'd prefer to play some PC games. I'm not looking for Crysis or anything, but any decent freeware games that don't need to be installed. Suggestions?

  2. #2
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,048
    I would say Daikatana is a game that doesn't need to be installed.

    *badum-ching*

    (sorry, couldn't resist)

  3. #3
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    XBLIVE:LIZRDKNG; PSN:lizardkng3333
    Posts
    15,894
    I was addicted to the excellent Desolate Room, which should run fine off a thumb drive. This gives you an idea about what it looks like, although it's possible to completely miss that from the first fifteen minutes or so that look nothing like that, before it segues into the 2d space invaders dungeons, before it goes into the rich turn based rpg combat.

    Most anything off this list should fit your criteria.

  4. #4
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Probably Homeless
    Posts
    2,874
    Shit, what was the name of that crazy first person shooter made by some former demo scene guys that was like a single 96k executable?

  5. #5
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Shit, what was the name of that crazy first person shooter made by some former demo scene guys that was like a single 96k executable?
    Wasn't it called 96K? I dunno, didn't that thing take a beefy videocard? I know it was a couple of year ago, but I'm going to be playing this on an IBM terminal style machine.

  6. #6
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    980
    On reflection, it was stupid of me to walk into this thread hoping to make the joke Gordon had already.

  7. #7
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard_King View Post
    I was addicted to the excellent Desolate Room, which should run fine off a thumb drive. This gives you an idea about what it looks like, although it's possible to completely miss that from the first fifteen minutes or so that look nothing like that, before it segues into the 2d space invaders dungeons, before it goes into the rich turn based rpg combat.

    Most anything off this list should fit your criteria.
    Nice! Thanks!

  8. #8
    Hustle
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    326
    kkrieger is the 96KB fps

  9. #9
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Cameron View Post
    I would say Daikatana is a game that doesn't need to be installed.

    *badum-ching*

    (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Shave and a haircut...TWO BITS!

  10. #10
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Watchin' TV in the window of a furniture store. Gamertag: surplus bags
    Posts
    19,333
    Definitely Cave Story.

  11. #11
    Social Worker Kadath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,809
    Everquest 1 does not get installed, you can run it off an external disk or whatever if you want.

  12. #12
    Social Worker JMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Cameron View Post
    I would say Daikatana is a game that doesn't need to be installed.

    *badum-ching*

    (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Hey it isn't that bad!

  13. #13
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    9,442
    If you're looking for older games too, most Quake engine games don't really need to be installed (they have installers on their CDs, but you can just copy the entire game folder over Mac-style and it'll run fine out of any directory). For best results (or any results under Q3/Q4), the PC will need OpenGL drivers already installed though, which might be a problem.

  14. #14
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by extarbags View Post
    Definitely Cave Story.
    Yea, I'm gonna give Cave Story and Knytt Stories a try. Also, Yahtzee (I had Boggle written here) Croshaw's Trilby games, Battleships Forever, Dwarf Fortress (I have a feeling this has to be installed), Titans of Steel, Battle for Wesnoth, and The Desolate Room.

    I know FreeCiv works, but the turns take to long and completely make the computer unusable while the AI is working. Too bad, as that's the perfect game.

  15. #15
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
    Everquest 1 does not get installed, you can run it off an external disk or whatever if you want.
    Sorry, forget to mention I don't have Internet acess. That's why I can't play browser games.

  16. #16
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,495
    I keep Imperialism 2 on my thumb drive for just such occasions. You can get it from the Imperialism yahoo list in a fully-patched, ready-to-run-without-install form.
    Last edited by tiohn; 02-25-2008 at 08:56 PM.

  17. #17
    Social Worker KaoFloppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa,Canada
    Posts
    2,978
    Quote Originally Posted by tromik View Post
    I know FreeCiv works, but the turns take to long and completely make the computer unusable while the AI is working. Too bad, as that's the perfect game.
    It still sounds like the perfect game to me. "I can't come to the meeting right now, I have to babysit my compile. It's taking FOREVER!"

  18. #18
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada XBL Gamertag: tromik
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Coca Cola Zero View Post
    If you're looking for older games too, most Quake engine games don't really need to be installed (they have installers on their CDs, but you can just copy the entire game folder over Mac-style and it'll run fine out of any directory). For best results (or any results under Q3/Q4), the PC will need OpenGL drivers already installed though, which might be a problem.
    I love Q2, but I dunno if FPS games are appropriate. I tend to have a distinct look about myself when playing FPS games, and I don't look welcoming. I look insane.

    Maybe I need a poll - "Would you approach someone with wide eyes with their tongue sticking out?"

  19. #19
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    XBLIVE:LIZRDKNG; PSN:lizardkng3333
    Posts
    15,894
    Quote Originally Posted by tromik View Post
    Nice! Thanks!
    I hope it works out for you. I know if I didn't have this hefty backlog of games I've paid for MM's list would be crushing my free time.

    The DR is pretty intuitive, although I guarantee the first few minutes will consist entirely of WTF? Just collect the eggs and get it over with (few minutes, tops), because the meat of the game is in the dungeons. It saves when you quit, so don't worry about that. At least the youtube video should give you a better idea of what's coming your way, so that should tide you over the intro which is a bit slow. And it's mostly turn based or easily paused.

  20. #20
    New Romantic mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Scenic Northern NJ Gamertag: JoshuaMarshall
    Posts
    6,135
    You don't need to install any of the classic Infocom stuff.

  21. #21
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas, YEEE HAW!
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I hear the enemies are as tough as fucking balls

  22. #22
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by MauxFaux View Post
    I hear the enemies are as tough as fucking balls
    I had a difficult time of things the last time I tried to fuck some balls.

  23. #23
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,534
    Fire up ScummVM with Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle.

  24. #24
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,876
    How about Pocket UFO (aka XCom) for Windows?

    http://www.smksoftware.ru/index.php?page=110&lang=en

  25. #25
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    XLive: Qorgyle; PS3: Comfy_Pants; Loc: Portland OR
    Posts
    5,588
    Dwarf Fortress. Pocket UFO is great too since it runs in a teeny window by itself.

  26. #26
    New Romantic Jon Rowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI Gamertag: Dr JonDanger Steam: Jon_Danger
    Posts
    9,334
    Quote Originally Posted by extarbags View Post
    Definitely Cave Story.
    Holy shit yes. God that game rules.

    Also, kkreiger is really fricking great, it is a bad game, but just an amazing piece of tech. I mean, that lighting and texture in 96k?

    preposterous!

  27. #27
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by MauxFaux View Post
    I hear the enemies are as tough as fucking balls
    "But yeah, it's really not that bad. It's not that bad. This game isn't that bad."

    "...and it's crashed."

    N runs from its neatly self-contained floppy-sized executable.

    http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html

    And is the best game ever.

  28. #28
    Account closed How To Go
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentadact View Post
    "But yeah, it's really not that bad. It's not that bad. This game isn't that bad."

    "...and it's crashed."

    N runs from its neatly self-contained floppy-sized executable.

    http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html

    And is the best game ever.

    Whoever wrote that needs to be hired by someone, stat.

    Also, fuck you, I was planning to sleep tonight.

  29. #29
    How To Go
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,362
    Well, N(+) is an XBLA game now, if that counts.

  30. #30
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,308
    dosbox + whatever classics from abandonia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •