Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Armageddon Empires

Broad Band
    48 likely means that you have more expensive cards across the board. Did you include some cheap cards (especially recce) that you can get out quickly in the early game (before getting a few resource tiles)?

Having said that, the heavy hitter deck can be fun when you get the resources to bring the cards out.

New Romantic
    I have the ghost and regular spider bots now, but my army consists of more heavy hitters. Dumb question: What buildings do the machine empire need to research tactics, genetics, and attachments? Either I missed it or none of the building descriptions say that they allow you to research various things.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by pfreak
    I have the ghost and regular spider bots now, but my army consists of more heavy hitters. Dumb question: What buildings do the machine empire need to research tactics, genetics, and attachments? Either I missed it or none of the building descriptions say that they allow you to research various things.
    It's the same subtype for each faction actually but the flavor names vary. Subtype for technology and genetics cards is Laboratory (and the hero needs the technologist or geneticist special ability) and tactics cards is Academy (hero needs the tactician special ability). For machines this breaks out to: Knowledge Node and Conflict Node.

Won Tales of Maj'Eyal Social Worker
    One thing I never thought of until a friend asked me today was how many turns my games lasted. Sadly the hall of fame does not record the turn the game ended. I don't suppose this would be an easy thing to throw in? It might be nice to look back and see which games were a blitz and which were hard-fought victories (or defeats).

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Even though the Hall of Fame doesn't list turns, the speed with which you won a game is figured into your score. So at least there's that.

-Tom

New Romantic
    Could someone explain how you use multi attack correctly on certain units? Last night I got my colossus onto the field but only got to use him in one fight out of supply area.

I did get an awesome teamup of units with shock attack to basically stun lock the other army.

One other question, how long does the game normally play out on the larger maps with 2 more AI teams? In the demo on standard maps I find that I can usually get a win around turn 24 and up.

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by pfreak
    Could someone explain how you use multi attack correctly on certain units? Last night I got my colossus onto the field but only got to use him in one fight out of supply area.
    From the manual:

Multi-targeting: Allows the attacking unit card to split its attack points among different targets. Each target is treated as a separate “Ground Combat Challenge.”
    Just attack normally, and if you want to adjust the strength downward for the current target, use the arrows that pop up. Without adjustment, all attacks will be set to maximum strength.

Broad Band
    I find that games on the largest map generally take me 50-60 turns. YMMV.

Mad Chester
    Hiho

I have the game for a while now and would like to post some comments. :)

A dedicated forum would be really nice as the single threat here is probably not the best community gathering.

I like Armageddon Empires and all of my points are aimed to be useful criticism not complaining. :)

At first I found the price too steep for an indie game, what convinced me otherwise was the activity of the creator in this thread and the patches he did influenced by the feedback here.

Several of my points were mentioned somewhere in this thread already.
    I'm also sorry about the long read.

- The different races and different decks are not all that different.
    You can create a heavy air deck, a mostly infantry deck, you can take advantage of the mutant supply bonus or certain good unit/ability combos, but in the end all races and all decks play pretty much the same on a basic level, with very few exceptions.

- Somewhat related to the first point: There is little synergy in the cards.
    In a given deck almost all cards are interchangeable with other cards of comparable types (e.g. it doesn't matter that much which general, or which biomecha you use). There may be a certain theme behind a deck, but with the exception of challenge decks (e.g. all infantry) there is no special "playing style" no special "idea" behind most decks.
    In my opinion that is because the cards too rarely interact with each other or other game concepts (The resource gathering or supply providing units are examples where they actually do.) The commando ability is a great example as in a sense it "breaks" a basic rule of the game.
    In an article about Magic the Gathering someone said something very interesting along the lines of:
    "The appeal of Magic is is that you are given a relatively simple and somewhat limited rule set and you have a whole deck of cards focused on bending and breaking those rules."
    Another contributing factor is that most of the time the different kinds of ressources are not important. There are certain bottle necks (see a later comment) and bad luck can limit you under certain conditions (no human resources in you reach as xenepods), but most of the time it is more important -that- you get resource than -which-.

- Power level scaling. My main point of criticism.
    "Weaker" units are pretty much worthless from my playing experience. It is a chore to fight vs a single 8-Attack 8-Defense unit with four 5:5 units. Trying to fight vs anything with 3:3 infantry is simply a waste of time.
    Some of those weak units try to make up with strong special abilities... but most special abilities simply are pretty much worthless too since the unit wont hit the enemy in the one or two rounds it survives a fight.
    Form what I gathered it is almost always simpler, more effective and often even cheaper in short- and long term to buy the strongest units.
    Even upgraded with technology and genetics most infantry units are still pretty weak and through the upgrades more expensive than much stronger units. Another hindrance is that "more units" is actually a disadvantage as it makes armies much more costly to move around. The Limit of units in the battle screen is also something that reduces the effectiveness of cheap units. An infantry swarm ends up with a considerable part of its forces in the back row (until turn two when most of the first row is dead because if the laughable defense...).
    The infantry support ability is interesting, but it is an additional unit in your army, and the defense bonus doesn't apply since it is over when the enemy attacks (at least I think it does... I'm not sure anymore).

- Resources. I wrote already that the different flavours of resources is not distinctive enough. Another issue I have is that resources are scarce in the beginning, but you have often "too much" from the mid game on (See the upkeep suggestion later).

That are my main points... for now. :P

Now some suggestions:

~ Unit upkeep: Upkeep for the strongest units. A Monstrosity demands one human per round as "fuel" ;), an Avanger Mech 1 Energy.
    => reduces the strong unit overflow and the resource overflow. You cant just spam super-units but have to take care of your resources.
    The disadvantage for a unit you couldn't pay upkeep for is difficult to determine though, especially if you only could pay for a part of the upkeep.

~ Advanced Units cost always more to repair, not only when they are below 50%.
    The strong mechanic units could costs 1 tech and 1 material for every 2 or 3 hitpoints (Damage to a Colossus is more than a few APs that way).
    => reduces the strong unit overflow and the resource overflow.
    You should be able to only repair parts of a unit.

Everything from now on is for infantry only:

~ Abilities:
    "Infantry Tactics X" (1-3)
    If there is at least one other Infantry/Xenogyte unit in the army the unit gets +X to attack and defense.

alternatively or additionally

"Combined Forces X" (1-3)
    If there is at least one non-Infantry/Xenogyte unit in the army the unit gets +X to attack and defense.
    => making Infantry more useful for combat.

~ No movement cost for infantry.
    => Making infantry units no more drain on your AP pool. They walk! :P

~ Automatic regeneration for infantry units.
    Infantry regenerates 2 hit points per game round [not combat round]. Losses simply get replaced by new recruits.

~ Ability
    "Duck and Cover"
    The unit never takes more damage than half its hit points.
    => Infantry soldiers take cover and disperse under attack. A single soldiers is easy to kill, but a unit of soldiers cannot be taken out by a single shot.

~ Ability
    "Incomming!"
    The unit takes half damage from attacks with more than 6 attack dice.
    => Same reasoning as Duck and Cover, different effect.

~ Ability
    "Tactical retreat"
    The unit retreats if it has 2 or less hit points left. (Dunno if the program can retreat single units... and alternative could be to make it unable to attack and be attacked).
    If the army is defeated the unit is defeated too.

(Not necessarily all suggestions at once as that could make infantry too strong :P).

I guess the threat is long enough now...
    More to come later if you want and I'm not flamed to death ;)

Have fun.
    Last edited by Therlun; 01-07-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Won Tales of Maj'Eyal Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Therlun
    The infantry support ability is interesting, but it is an additional unit in your army, and the defense bonus doesn't apply since it is over when the enemy attacks (at least I think it does... I'm not sure anymore).
    Actually I'm pretty sure it lasts until your next turn. I used it in one game to practically turn one of my better machine infantry into a mech and rampage unchecked until the late game.

It would be fun to have more units with specialized abilities like that and hyperkinetic (+2 damage vs armor, -1 vs infantry) around, though. As it is I think only the Banshee has infantry support and only Imperial Grenadiers have hyperkinetic attacks? Maybe in a mini expansion pack? I'd buy a $5 pack of nothing but more cards for each army.

Quote Originally Posted by Therlun
    - Resources. I wrote already that the different flavours of resources is not distinctive enough. Another issue I have is that resources are scarce in the beginning, but you have often "too much" from the mid game on (See the upkeep suggestion later).
    I would actually disagree with this. The differences aren't extreme, but I find that the different resource use rates of each side are pretty distinct. In my latest game as Xenopods I'm wandering around looking for human resources while having stockpiles of the other three types. As Machines I've played games where I find a wasteland full of people and never build any gatherers on them. With the Mutants one game I never found a single energy resource but got by entirely off of the output of my scavengers.

Since the patch when the average amount of resources was lowered I haven't found myself too rich by the end. Between the cost to buy more initiative dice ramping up a lot, the big units costing a lot, and the cost of building a bunch of tech stuff for my units, I usually don't have huge reserves. There's also always the "rare" or painful "no resources" options.

For trying to stop huge units trampling entire armies single-handedly, it might be nice if there was some kind of outnumbered penalty when you have them 2 to 1. Of course an army of Colosi and Leviathans means you're fucked unless you have a nuke for them anyways, and rightfully so.

Social Worker
    Without reading all 430 posts. I downloaded the demo when I saw the game mentioned in other threads. Am I missing a tutorial in the game somewhere??

Account closed World's End Supernova
    Boletaria, Gamertag: Ben Sones PSN: bsones
    You aren't, but there is a helpful tutorial to be found here (in five parts):

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

Neo Acoustic
    The dubious walkthrough is ace, but you can also - if you want - download the full manual and read the thing.

My own method was basically playing the game until I realised I'd missed something fundamental and restarting. It's a game which plays quick enough that I didn't mind that at all.

KG

Neo Acoustic
    Hey guys-

What's the best way to deal with enemy assassins?

EDIT: Disregard, plenty of good answers in the thread.
    Last edited by UncleSmoothie; 01-20-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Account closed How To Go
    For your HQ, until your intel network is in place, you get your heroes out of Dodge until the assassin has been taken care of. Install an Intel facility and upgrade it to maximum Sniffer level as soon as possible. Also, station a good recon unit (or two) at your HQ and in critical bases. I'll try keep a Bounty Hunter hero and some recon units in my HQ whenever possible, even with a maxed Sniffer.

When on the road, always keep good recon units with your big army stacks, maybe even a Bounty Hunter.

Social Worker
    Interesting and long interview with Vic Davis over at Rock Paper Shotgun.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM
    Interesting and long interview with Vic Davis over at Rock Paper Shotgun.
    Thanks for the heads up. RPS just keeps putting up some great stuff. The bio stuff on Vic was very interesting - I had no idea you could actually make money doing that sort of thing.

Hustle
    Finally bought this AE over the weekend. What a great f'n game.
    I also agree with the compliments regarding RPS. They're probably my favorite feed on my google reader.

Social Worker
    Hey Vic, great game!

I've been wasting time on the demo this past few weeks at work and because the boss was kind enough to drop some bonuses into my happy box of game charity, I will be pulling the trigger on this.

Just a quick question: I'm getting the mac version. Can I install it to two different computers? 1 for my editing station and another for my macbook for when I travel?

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    Just a quick question: I'm getting the mac version. Can I install it to two different computers? 1 for my editing station and another for my macbook for when I travel?
    Hey Thanks. Yep there is no DRM or anything so you can install it on as many systems as you like. I'm working on a small update for the Mac version right now to bring it up to 1.02a. Just very minor things that the PC version has already.

Broad Band
    Too funny...

http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=209

Congrats, Vic.

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Dang it, every time this thead gets bumped, I get all excited thinking Vic is announcing the new Cults of the Wasteland content is ready. :(

-Tom

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by TomChick View Post
    Dang it, every time this thead gets bumped, I get all excited thinking Vic is announcing the new Cults of the Wasteland content is ready. :(

-Tom
    I just went to Ludicrous Speed working on it so it's on track. And being the over ambitious fool that I am, I had this great idea for a 4th cult so the card count is up to 13 instead of 10. The idea was just too good to pass up. Cults are just so fun to play around with...now where is that roll of quarters and my new tennis shoes?

And the PA mention is thanks in no small part to Tom's list. It's spreading like a virus now, muhaahaaahaaaa!

New Romantic
    I downloaded the demo last night and built a deck and tried to play. I know I'm going to repeat what someone else has said, but here are my thoughts:

Pro:

1. Love the art.
    2. Love deck building. Deck building is always fun. Of course, I have no real idea of the balance in my deck, but whatever.

Con:

In my mind, this is a game about cool army and resource management stuff happening on a hex map. But as I started playing, I felt like I was looking at popup screens a lot. A lot. I kind of wish the die rolling window were much, much smaller, and off in the corner, about the size and prominence of the mini map or smaller.

Goodluck!!
    Apologies (of dubious sincerity) if this was asked earlier: Does this play in a window?

Thanks!

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinstil View Post
    Apologies (of dubious sincerity) if this was asked earlier: Does this play in a window?

Thanks!
    Yes it does. I'm playing it in a window right now and the bastard Machine Empire just captured the last scout I had in their home base. Now I have to go in there blind a few turns from now.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
    In my mind, this is a game about cool army and resource management stuff happening on a hex map. But as I started playing, I felt like I was looking at popup screens a lot. A lot. I kind of wish the die rolling window were much, much smaller, and off in the corner, about the size and prominence of the mini map or smaller.
    Unfortunately I have to agree, interface issues pretty much kill it for me. It feels like way too many dialog boxes pop up, and they're not in the same place. The mouse is constantly roving over the screen clicking 'OK'.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by garin View Post
    Unfortunately I have to agree, interface issues pretty much kill it for me. It feels like way too many dialog boxes pop up, and they're not in the same place. The mouse is constantly roving over the screen clicking 'OK'.
    The return key is your friend. It skips you through the dice rolling with no clicking. I'm on turn 44 of my current game and I'm so absorbed with where the Xenomorphs are going to come from (now that the Machine Empire is under my mutated foot) that the interface is invisible to me now.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob O'Boston View Post
    The return key is your friend. It skips you through the dice rolling with no clicking. I'm on turn 44 of my current game and I'm so absorbed with where the Xenomorphs are going to come from (now that the Machine Empire is under my mutated foot) that the interface is invisible to me now.
    Fair enough, I should have thought to try that. I'll give the demo another go.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by garin View Post
    Fair enough, I should have thought to try that. I'll give the demo another go.
    Make sure to keep the other hotkeys in mind as well:

Hotkeys

Enter / F - Acknowledge Next Action/Start Dice Rolls

Arrow Keys Function To Scroll Map

W - Scroll Map Up

A - Scroll Map Left

S- Scroll Map Down

D - Scroll Map Right

F12 - End Turn or Resume AI as appropriate

Spacebar - Toggle Cards in Hand

Tab - Toggle Mini Map