Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Spore Delayed until Spring 2008+

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jordan View Post
    There are two dumb things about the whole kerfluffle over EA's charging for the "demo" of the Creature Creator:
    1) If this were released as a self-contained indie game for 10 bucks, people would buy it in a heartbeat.
    2) Complaints about charging for the creature creator are making me feel compelled to defend Electronic Arts, which is just wrong.
    The only thing I don't like about charging for it is, since the full game will pull other creatures off the internets to populate your world/galaxy, we are essentially paying them to put content into their game at launch. I wondered how they were gonna to solve "first person who plays has no content" problem, but I was not cynical enough to think EA would charge us to solve it. But the demo seems pretty full featured so it's alright.

New Romantic
    Here's one I made. For whatever reason I got it into my head I wanted to make something that might fit in an old D&D monster manual.

Account closed Social Worker
    I am the most immature person on this board by far.

NSFA: http://www.deadbored.net/qt3/Spore/TheKoontz.jpg

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsak View Post
    I am the most immature person on this board by far.

NSFA: http://www.deadbored.net/qt3/Spore/TheKoontz.jpg
    Lol.

I fear for his species... :)

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by jfletch View Post
    The only thing I don't like about charging for it is, since the full game will pull other creatures off the internets to populate your world/galaxy, we are essentially paying them to put content into their game at launch. I wondered how they were gonna to solve "first person who plays has no content" problem, but I was not cynical enough to think EA would charge us to solve it. But the demo seems pretty full featured so it's alright.
    I don't get that mentality at all, though. The game is all about procedural and user-generated content. That's like saying that Tetris is a scam because you buy it and the bricks aren't already stacked for you. The game's not about seeing planets filled with dong creatures, it's about building your own dong creature and guiding it through evolution. The content isn't the creatures themselves, it's all the tools used to create and animate the creatures.

Social Worker
    I don't get that mentality at all, though. The game is all about procedural and user-generated content. That's like saying that Tetris is a scam because you buy it and the bricks aren't already stacked for you. The game's not about seeing planets filled with dong creatures, it's about building your own dong creature and guiding it through evolution. The content isn't the creatures themselves, it's all the tools used to create and animate the creatures.
    It's a scam because it's essentially charging for a demo.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Qmanol View Post
    It's a scam because it's essentially charging for a demo.
    Dude, I already said why I think the "charging for a demo" claim is dumb. It's back there in the middle of the penes.

Edit: Oh wait, nobody posted pictures of wang monsters on here, did they? I got this thread confused with the rest of the internet. Anyway, I meant, "It's back there on the previous page."

World's End Supernova
    Not a wang picture:

I like this one personally because it's so... flagrant. Looks great animated, everything is all flopping around, except not like a wang.

edit: Also I assumed we'd be able to make legless flying creatures? Maybe not a flying creature that actually flies, but kind of hovers around instead of walking.

Account closed New Romantic
    Canton, GA _______ XBL - Adree1 PSN - Adree_1 @adreeadree
    The wings give you a Hover attribute so maybe in the real game you can.

Social Worker
    Right, but isn't a big part of the game interacting with dong civilizations made by other people?

If I am wrong, and this has been de-emphasized as time has gone on, no problem - I really haven't kept up as this game slipped into development hell.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    edit: Also I assumed we'd be able to make legless flying creatures? Maybe not a flying creature that actually flies, but kind of hovers around instead of walking.
    Don't put feet on it, and make sure a part or limb (anything but torso skin) is the lowest thing on the creature, and it will float.

For more protips, assuming you can stand the almost overwhelming onslaught of wang creatures, see the two SA threads.

I'm hoping a fansite will step in and rank and categorize all the wang creatures, since people are getting pretty creative. I like to think of myself as a pretty highbrow kind of guy, but I laughed out loud multiple times today while reading forums at totally lowbrow stuff.

Chris

New Romantic
    Who are you that flies so good? Are you insane?
    My first attempt at a Raymond Feist-ian Cho-Ja:

World's End Supernova
    checker: Tried that, but it seems like it's just faking a crawl with the hanging limb.

balut: Are the legs jittery when you move with that thing?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I like to think of myself as a pretty highbrow kind of guy, but I laughed out loud multiple times today while reading forums at totally lowbrow stuff.
    I laughed out loud half a second after that video started. Playing off the starting static screen expectation was kinda brilliant. Wonderfully stupid.

New Romantic
    checker: Tried that, but it seems like it's just faking a crawl with the hanging limb.

balut: Are the legs jittery when you move with that thing?
    Surprisingly, no, the legs move normally. It doesn't look like it's doing a true 6-legged insect walk, but it's not jittery.

Spinning Toe
    Try going to the sporepedia, search for float or something similar, go to the "download" link on the asset page on one of the dudes, and that will give you the png in your browser. You can drag that onto the app while it's running and it will load that guy, and you can take him apart and see how he works.

Chris

New Romantic
    I'd like to figure out a floating mechanism for this guy:

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
    Here's one I made. For whatever reason I got it into my head I wanted to make something that might fit in an old D&D monster manual.

Umber Hulk!

New Romantic
    You know what time it is? It's PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!

I just need to figure out how to dub the music over the video now.

Mad Chester
    balut, that's my favorite one yet.

Mad Chester
    A mixed blessing this creature editor.
    In some areas it is pretty limited (asymmetry for instance) and still has some problems with clipping.
    But even with only 25% of the parts there are endless variations and unprecedented flexibility.
    Last edited by Therlun; 06-17-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Spinning Toe

Gentlemen, I present:

Clownpants The Unthinkable!

Joel's and Pogo's are my favourites so far: I love small but beautifully crafted creatures, probably because I'm patently incapable of building them myself. Would you folks mind including the creature file itself so we can test-drive it? It's a PNG image in the My Documents\My Spore Creations\Creatures folder, and you can just embed it like a normal image. It's an awesome system: your whole creature's DNA is in the metadata for a 25k thumbnail, and people only have to save that to their own creatures folder to try it out in-game. Here's mine:

His hyperwaddle is part of the personality, I feel. My Horncrested Bristlefrog moves rather more fluidly.

-

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by jfletch View Post
    Right, but isn't a big part of the game interacting with dong civilizations made by other people?

If I am wrong, and this has been de-emphasized as time has gone on, no problem - I really haven't kept up as this game slipped into development hell.
    My impression isn't that it's been de-emphasized, it's just going to be like The Sims in that different players are going to emphasize different things. Some people are going to be most interested in making dong monsters, where others are going to be making wangs, peters, or choads.

Actually, it's like how some people in The Sims spend their whole time building houses or making Sims instead of "playing the game." I think a lot of people are going to be really, really into the creature editor as the game, much much more than anybody was with Create-a-Sim. You can already see that going on, and that's with a leaked copy of the demo with only a quarter of the full content. People can't not share pictures and video of what they've made.

And you already hear a lot of people saying "I've gotten attached to him." To me, that implies that players are going to enjoy the tribal and civilization modes a lot more than what they would if the "content" were supplied entirely by Maxis.

I've got to say I'm surprised, because as cool as the previews have looked and all the amazing tech that's gone into the game, I thought EA was being way too optimistic about player-generated content.

And whoever had the idea of putting the creature DNA data in the metadata for a PNG file should get a huge raise. That's just impossibly brilliant.

Hustle
    Wienermobile or Mobile Wiener?

This is Lucky, my greatest creation

Social Worker

New Romantic
    I really want this thing :(

Hustle
    I've been trying to do some more conventional animals. Shoulders are hard.

Neo Acoustic

New Romantic
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    I made a human fetus, but I'm having some trouble with the screenshots. Will post once I get that straightened out.

How To Go
    This demo isn't out for Mac yet, is it?