Thread: Battle Lord Becomes Kings Bounty

Spinning Toe
    I have run in to some what of a game stopping bug. I killed the Kraken and the pirate guy (Lucky James I think), any time I talk to Mirabella to tell her and ask for her hand in marriage the game crashes to the desktop. I am able to go on about my business but any sort of storyline with Mirabella appears to be broken now.

New Romantic
    Hmm, that didn't happen to me. If it's any help, the lovely Mirabella isn't very useful as a wife unless you like having lots of pirates and robbers in your army (she buffs them).

Social Worker
    So far I've seen three prospective wives, none of which seemed to fit my army setup (frog, undead, pirate). How many wives total are there?

One thing I have found is that it *really* helps if you pick troops in your army that can replenished from the area you are adventuring in, especially for the melee/fodder type stacks.

This sounds like a great game. Any chance it will EVER be on Steam?

How To Go
    OK, I've got to play the demo. I've been thinking about a design for a Silmarillion strategy/rpg game for the last couple weeks and in my concept fostering your lineage was an important mechanic. After seeing the stuff on RPS about zombie wives, I need to see what's going on in this game...

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkon262 View Post
    I have run in to some what of a game stopping bug. I killed the Kraken and the pirate guy (Lucky James I think), any time I talk to Mirabella to tell her and ask for her hand in marriage the game crashes to the desktop. I am able to go on about my business but any sort of storyline with Mirabella appears to be broken now.
    There is a mod-patch for that. Wait a bit, i am searching...

Ok, here: http://www.kbmods.nm.ru/eng/

In fact, i would also install the camera mod (more zoom out) and the ui mod (more information in the UI, like % critical, future costs in spells levels and talents, history of your upgrades, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by olaf View Post
    I got to the Freedom isles at level 10 with my Mage and most of the stacks there are way too tough for me. I had cleared almost everything out of the first 4 zones so I am not sure what I could have done differently.

I went back to my Warrior, with maybe a better idea of what to level and what armies to field, and so its not that big of a deal, still having fun.

One thing that does jump out at me though is that the troop availability, and scrolls/items, are somewhat random. There are a lot of great spells I am able to buy in my Warrior game, at level 4, that I did not see through level 10 in my Mage game.
    I had the same problem, there is a difficulty bump between the first island and the Freedom Islands. I had to come back, clean whatever i could in the four zones of the first island (every quest done except two and every mob killed) until i won a new level, i came back to freedom islands and advanced evading the stronger parties and fighting the weaker parties (and they still weren't "weak", just as strong as me) until i wont another level more, then i could play more easily in the pirate islands.

And i also noting the random troops. I read in two forums people recommending the royal snakes as one of the best troops you can hire, so i searched for them... and nope, they aren't in my game, in any shop :(.

New Romantic
    This game just gets better. Starting to run across some tricker mobs, but on the other hand just took down one which at the beginning of the game had been classified as "Impossible". So proud :)

I'm now running with Bowmen, Swordsmen, Guardsmen (the one who provide the moral bonus to Bowmen and Swordsmen), Inquisitors and Beholders. I've put the Beholders in place of the Royal Snakes (I found mind at the olest frog brother's castle after completing a quest in the swamp). It's surprising how many of the spells I have see use.

I hadn't realised just how local the battle arenas were, I thought it was swamp, forest, etc. Just recently though I got into a battle on a narrow swamp pass and bingo, up comes a narrow pass battlefield. Nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by Naeblis View Post

In fact, i would also install the camera mod (more zoom out) and the ui mod (more information in the UI, like % critical, future costs in spells levels and talents, history of your upgrades, etc).
    Great, thanks!

Do you know what those mods without readmes do?

Good Shape
    according to russian wiki for KB theres already an expansion in the works.

I have trouble understanding how the morale for troops works. I understand some races dont like eachother (standard fantasy animosity between dwarves and elves) but my all-human army still has either low or neutral morale. Also some items seem to have morale (of their own?). There is a fan made manual that covers all behind-the-scenes math in this game but its in russian and a bit above my understanding of russian.

New Romantic
    If you double-click a unit and mouse over its morale icon, it will say where the bonuses are coming from.

So far as I know every unit is Neutral unless you have things to affect it.

Morale on an item, according to the loading tooltips, represents the life of the item. Once it hits 0 it stops providing bonuses.

Social Worker

Those mods sound good, is the retail version 16b7?

As for morale...

All races except Neutral and Undead do not like Undead. Elves and Dwarves do not like each other. Not sure where Demons fit as I have not had that race in my army yet. Some units have traits that affect their morale or other units' morale.
    Last edited by olaf; 10-03-2008 at 05:46 AM.

The zip files for the camera mod are empty in both the eng/164 and eng/16b7 directories. Where did you get the one you're using?

It seems that there are two english version, us retail, and/or dd/europe retail. One if 164 and the other is 16b7. Search your number version opening the game, in the main menu.

Sam Jones, i just checked it, and this file
    http://www.kbmods.nm.ru/eng/16b7/mod...eng_camera.zip

is not empty. It's small, but not empty. Includes a file named mod_16b7_eng_camera.kfs, a zip/pack file, the zip have inside a file called camera.text some lines of code.

Social Worker
    Virginia ---------> Steam ID: Point Blank

How BIG was it?!

Hur hur, she slept with a dragon, hur hur hur.

New Romantic
    And i also noting the random troops. I read in two forums people recommending the royal snakes as one of the best troops you can hire, so i searched for them... and nope, they aren't in my game, in any shop :(.
    How sad, because they truly are excellent starting army members. In the beginning zone, there's an animal trainer vendor very near the path to the ocean. He had hundreds of them for me to buy. What does he offer you?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    So far I've seen three prospective wives, none of which seemed to fit my army setup (frog, undead, pirate). How many wives total are there?
    I believe there are 4, and since I've just about cleared out dwarf land without finding another, I suspect #4 lives in the elf area. I'll be heading there soon.

New Romantic
    Oh, speaking of the dwarf lands, make sure you buy the Gremlin's Castle from the king when it becomes available. That thing is practically another entire island inside. Working my way through it now.

Good Shape
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Markell View Post
    I believe there are 4, and since I've just about cleared out dwarf land without finding another, I suspect #4 lives in the elf area. I'll be heading there soon.
    mild spoilers!!

according to the russian fan-made manual, there are 6, three humans (well one can be turned to a zombie and another to a frog), one gnome, one elf and one demoness. I guess gnome=dwarf.

An expansion is in the works already? Awesome! I love this game and I love Katauri!

How sad, because they truly are excellent starting army members. In the beginning zone, there's an animal trainer vendor very near the path to the ocean. He had hundreds of them for me to buy. What does he offer you?
    He's selling bears and wolves in my game.

New Romantic
    How annoying. They're both okay units, but the Royal Snakes are appreciably better.

Right now i am in the dwarven lands, explored at 40-50% (counting both high and low Hadar), with 5 giants, 225 swordmen, 40 inquisitors, 25 shaman orcs, and a handful of dwarven alchemists and normal dwarves. I just fought the really big spider (cool fight, i needed 22 turns to finish it) so i have some low number in some troops, except in the swordmen because they were in the reserve.

The troops i like more are the Sea Dogs (great level 3 melee fighter, well rounded, with running and attack at sides abilities), the shaman orcs (3 special abilites, all of them good, and on top of that a resiliant mounted fighter) and the regular human archers (with two warrios talents they have more abilities and they cost less leaderhsip).

Social Worker
    Dying to get my hands on this! Supposed to be on sale at Circuit City this weekend so I'm going to try to save a few bucks since I just paid $6,000 for my daughter's braces. OUCH!

This game sounds interesting from reading the various impressions here and on RPS. Is there any CP on the retail disc that I should be worried about?

Quote Originally Posted by Jab2565 View Post
    This game sounds interesting from reading the various impressions here and on RPS. Is there any CP on the retail disc that I should be worried about?

Normal securom. Without activation limits and any weird stuff.

One new UI glitch surfaced last night. The info that appears when you click an enemy unit in battle now only remains visible while the right button is still depressed, which in effect disables mousing over various stats to review weaknesses, etc. Perhaps related to this, casting Heal from my spellbook on certain units, whose health is definitely not maxed out, is not always possible and the hovering cursor remains a question mark.

Still only level 7 and finally starting to explore into Freedom Island (which should have been named Freedonia, Land of the Spree and the Home of the Knave). I'm sure my being one of the slowest players here is a factor but my two biggest mistakes were (1) not prioritizing for the King's quests early on and (2) not clearing areas due to ignorance about mob stack difficulty levels being tied to current loadouts. So while the game could definitely benefit from more help and documentation, everything's fantastic once you figure things out.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by meson View Post
    mild spoilers!!

according to the russian fan-made manual, there are 6, three humans (well one can be turned to a zombie and another to a frog), one gnome, one elf and one demoness. I guess gnome=dwarf.
    Yeah, I just found the dwarf. I'd rescued her earlier and thought she might be a potential wife, but hadn't talked to her dad after getting the reward. Went back, and yup, marriable. Gives a buff to dwarves, but not particularly useful IMO.

Yeah, I just found the dwarf. I'd rescued her earlier and thought she might be a potential wife, but hadn't talked to her dad after getting the reward. Went back, and yup, marriable. Gives a buff to dwarves, but not particularly useful IMO.
    I remember reading in a hands-on somewhere (gamespot, maybe? gamespy?) that different wives also unlock different quests, like more dwarf quests if you have the dwarf wife. It was an off-hand comment, though, so take it with a grain of salt?

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Quote Originally Posted by barstein View Post
    (2) not clearing areas due to ignorance about mob stack difficulty levels being tied to current loadouts.
    Wait, what? I missed this in the thread so far. What's the story here?

I'm still a mere level 4 paladin, I cleared Greenwort and have just dipped a toe into the swamps. I plan to make a beeline to find the King's brother or whoever the fuck, so I can get the rage chest ASAP. (Should have done it even quicker than this, but I doubt level 4 is too much dilly-dallying. Is it?)

(Yes, I'm the slowest game-player in Qt3! And proud of it. Hell, I'm probably going to skip King's Bounty again tonight -- one of my two-per-week game nights -- to get back to my VERY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH of the original Crysis, for fuck's sake!)

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Jones View Post
    He's selling bears and wolves in my game.
    Something that's easy to miss is just above the creature portraits there are two small arrows allowing you to scroll through a list of creatures. He's selling six different types in my game, though I've had to get my Royal Snakes from the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by barstein
    One new UI glitch surfaced last night. The info that appears when you click an enemy unit in battle now only remains visible while the right button is still depressed, which in effect disables mousing over various stats to review weaknesses, etc.
    You only get the ? if you're mousing over an enemy your current unit cannot interact with. If you don't get the ? then hold down shift and mouse over them, you'll get it then.