Okay here we go.
This HTML code can be embedded anywhere that isn't subject to certain object restrictions:
This is what you end up with: Walkie-talkie widget
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="220" height="165" id="walkietalkie" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.yackpack.net/yackpack/walkietalkie.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<embed src="http://www.yackpack.net/yackpack/walkietalkie.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="220" height="165" name="walkietalkie" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
It's a common live voice chat for whatever URL it's posted at. This will be going away when it leaves beta (the URL will just change), but I'd like to see how it behaves, so feel free to try it out for a few days. When it launches there will be a simple link version as well, so you won't have to have html access to create one.
If you're posting it someplace that's more restrictive about embeds (MySpace, I'm looking at you), you'll need to add a line so that it knows where it lives:
and then the same variable is added to the embed tag as well, like:
<param name="FlashVars" value="globalchaturl=http://blog.myspace.com/someBlog" />
-- note the URL is http://blog.myspace.com/someBlog. That line can go anywhere in the params list from the object code above. You can also use that line to override the default behavior -- for example if you want a global chat for an entire site or subsection, you can specify it there and the pages you place it on will all use that common chat.
<embed src="http://www.yackpack.net/yackpack/walkietalkie.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="220" height="165" name="walkietalkie" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="globalchaturl=http://blog.myspace.com/someBlog" />
If you aren't using the loadVars line, then you can create a new chat room from any existing one just by appending something to the end of your current url, like by adding ?mychat at the end of the link above. People being too noisy (or nosy)? Make your own room instantly and send people the link.
Some caveats (updated) :
- the room size limit is 20. This will be exposed in an option later as well, since a free-for-all chat can be pretty noisy if people don't apply restraint.
- no volume / mute control yet (sorry -- still waiting on the final design so I don't want to spend too much time on the UI elements) -- so make sure you can reach your volume control
- if you load the page and don't do anything for 5 minutes, it'll turn itself off. This idle timeout will (probably) be exposed as well.
- if you hold down the talk button and max out the input volume for 5+ seconds, it'll un-click the button for you :P it won't ban you for repeatedly doing this, but that's a possible feature addition...
- there's no chat limit -- this may eventually change depending on the funding situation etc
Things I need to know: if you embed it someplace, and you get a message that it can't load the URL, please let me know (browser version, flash version, and a link to your embed would be great -- you can pm me if you want).
Any changes or requests, now is the time to ask :)