NWN2 - Feature WishList
The following is a list of features I would like or changed in NWN2. Hopefully they are all reasonable and are within the 'scope' of a product patch. Please add things you would like to see added / changed, but keep in mind they should be changes that should be within the scope of a patch, not expansion pack or game engine rewrite.
1. Rework the camera control code so that using the middle mouse button to pan around isn't so wonky. Right now it is to easy to have the camera become spastic if you mouse a little to fast, which is kind of easy since the threshold for spinning around wildly is very low.
2. Add a semi-locked 3/4 view mode. This mode may be in the game, but it doesn't work very well or at all. This mode is the typical 3/4 view with the camera fairly distant from the player. In this mode pressing the middle mouse button will only pan left or right. The camera angle is locked. The mouse wheel will 'zoom' in and out.
3. Add a character-centric NORTH mode camera mode (that can be added to other camera modes optionally). In this mode, the character always faces 'up' on the screen and the world rotates around him. There will also be a center screen bias from 0 to 1.0. At 0 the character is always in the middle of the screen. At 1.0 the character is always at the south edge of the screen. This way we can pick a comfortable distance from the north side of our screen where we can see what we are walking in to.
Persistent mode issue:
4. All user set modes, such as combat modes, camera modes and angles, are preserved forever until we change them. Zoning to a new area, being 'killed', loading / saving a game, etc... it all stays the way I set it until I change it. Right now It is very irritating to put my character flurry of blows mode or defensive casting mode only to constantly have it being switched off for unknown reasons.
5. I want to be able to 'select' an enemy with my mouse without attacking him. Make this a check box or something in the game-play options. Better yet make a hot-key to modify this behavior. IE: Shift-clicking simply targets, while clicking attacks. The check box in the game-play options reverses this relationship.
6. Fix tab-targeting to select stealth ed enemies who are seen.
7. I want my character to auto-face tab-targeted enemies.
8. I want an option so that beneficial spells, such as healing, *always* gives me a spell target select mouse cursor. It is very infrequent that I want these cast on my current target, yet I found that I was wasting healing charges on enemy undead instead of on my party.
9. Self-target spells need to auto-target yourself. Right now if you have someone else targeted, you get the spell target cursor.
10. Offensive ranged spells should have an option to choose your target rather then use your last target. Maybe it can use the same hot-key as item #5.
11. A round by round combat mode. If this option is turned on the game runs in real time until combat begins. After combat begins the game pauses at the beginning of every 'round'. After all the characters all have made a choice, the round runs real-time until the next round which starts the process over again.
12. When one player is involved in a dialog and makes a conversation choice, please print their choice in the conversation window so that other players can see what they said.
13. Allow spells to be dragged from the quick cast menu to the hot-bar. Right now, for me, I can only put spells from my spell book in my hot-bar.
14. Tweak the druid AI so she casts healing spells on people and uses animal form as a last resort. The druid NPC is nearly useless because she is always humping the legs of enemies in her 1d4 badger damage form.
15. I think you should remove the respawn on death choice from the game. It trivializes any hard encounter. While you do not have the choice to do this in single player, in multi-player it is just ridiculously stupid. The least you can do is make it cost gold and teleport you some 'safe' place forcing you to run all the way back. Right now its just kip-up after kip-up until whatever is there is dead. If you had to reload your game, it would mean that you at the very least had to pass the encounter legitimately rather then grinding the enemy down with your infinite lives.
16. Your crafting economy is totally borked. The cost of making an item is far more then cost to buy the finished product. IE: Alchemist's fire costs 18gp to buy, and requires distilled alcohol & faerie dust. I have not found the latter, but the former costs 25gp. Acid flasks cost about 18gp too, but if you craft one you are giving up nearly 100gp.
17. Outer walls to rooms should be invisible when the camera is 'outside' of the world. This is very noticeable each time you go 'inside'.
18. Not all skill checks are 'take 20'. I do not know what the logic behind this is. If you are not in combat, disabling a trap is always a take-20 skill, yet collecting a trap is random.
19. There is no combat mode for counter-spelling as far as I know. The game says there is one, but my character sure doesn't have that choice. I would like a context menu choice to allow me to counter spell a particular caster too.
20. Allow us to walk around while one player in a dialog with another one. This would be helpful if the party isn't all in the same immediate vicinity and one of those 'encounters' where you banter a bit before combat starts. It would give us a chance to catch up.
21. Allow us to do party-only things while a dialog is up. This would include looking at your character sheet, inventory, healing up, switching gear out, and casting 'harmless' spells "see saving throw Harmless".
22. Have a hot-key to turn on an auto-combat AI. Basically there isn't much for my warrior to do, but if I have him selected, and his target dies, he will not engage another target. It would be nice to have him to pick the nearest target and start attacking it automatically.
Things that may or may not be beyond a patch (depending on how the engine is written):
23. Scriptable AI or at the very least, let us choose the AI scripts our party members run.
24. A recipe book. We find all these other books laying around with some recipes in them. It would be nice to read them and then have a one-stop list with all recipes we have seen so far listed.
+12 Hackmaster placed in the first crate opened.
Framerate that doesn't force you to drop the graphics to pre-NWN1 level on a 7900GTO. Running medium textures on a 256MB card is EVIL
This looks familiar. Didn't you go nuts over what was "missing" from Titan Quest, as well?
A GTO is a 512MB card (for the nitpickers). On topic I do like the original list though. Some of the points are a bit more anal than I personally need, but a lot of those things would indeed be nice.
Sorry, I forgot. Also, that's even worse.
I'd just settle for better party and enemy AI. watching enemies "slide" toward my characters or just STAND there and take Qara's nukes is just plain silly, and having my a member of my party run three blocks away to get in a solo fight with a bunch of orcs is just plain annoying.
AFAIK If you throw the "guard me" broadcast command they shouldn't run off so far.
I think the readme mentions that counterspelling was taken out of the game. I read it somewhere.
edit: The camera still bugs me but I am getting used to it. I dont understand why you cant remap mouse buttons. The party AI is my current source of frustration. Having them on puppet mode kind of sucks, its tedious to have to give them basic commands each round/enemy. But the alternatives are no picnic either. Scaled spellcasting is a just a complete joke if it is even working. My casters will just unload on anything. The pathfinding also blows. Someone is always stuck or just stops moving for some reason.
I have a 7900gt and I have everything running on high. No shadows or bloom though.
Originally Posted by Kunikos
Joystick support. Because I think the controls would be fine if they were like KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on the Xbox. So if they added support for gamepads, then we could use the Xbox or 360 controllers, Right thumbstick to rotate the view around the selected character, Left thumbstick for camera relative movement.
Still king of lost
Originally Posted by Doug Erickson
Qara gets the beat down quite often in my game since she pulls aggro and everything beelines for her. Is you'rs not like that? The only problem with stuff not retailiating I've run into is that my viewdistance and spell distance is greater than the aggro distance for most creatures. So I can see them, run round and place everyone in a prime spot, have them hold, run up with Qara and tentacle the creatures, then nuke and run back. I've found in a few instances they are rooted or bound to the specific spot (design issue I think) but if so, as soon as I run out of range they stop taking damage as far as i can tell. If there is a tip on Qara not pulling aggro please let me know.
To the OP:
1) Completely agree that the camera blows. I'm well into the game and really have only settled on a "well this annoys me the least" setup.
2) Frame rate blows as well. Needs some optimizing pretty badly. Particle effects and shadows shouldn't be this tasking.
3) More optional side quests would be nice. There is no respawn. Classes with a +level penalty can't ever really catch up or do more work in any way to even up on levels with others in the same part of the game (save for export->import.) It would also add to the content for this game which I find lacking compared to say, the BG series.
A select all party members command would alleviate about 75% of my frustration with the game.
Couple that with a "turn off character acknowledgment voices" option and I'm a happy man.
Still king of lost
Yep, forgot that one. Lets add in a retreat command too and we'll be rolling.
Originally Posted by flyinj
Trying to avoid stuff already in the thread...
- autopause, select all, formation control (like BG2)
- filterable inventory (by weapons, armor, misc, pots, etc)
- EVERYTHING should be assignable to customizable hotkeys; spells, commands, items, etc.
- quicksaves should go to three separate slots, rotating chronologically
- when IDing an item, crafting, appraising a merchant, talking to a monster, etc, the character with the highest skill should automatically be used so you don't have to switch around and remember which guy has the highest "bluff"
- when hitting the "Z" key to hilight all usable objects, PCs, and monsters, these things should have their name above them with condition and health. For example, "Iron Bound Chest - OK - 100%" or "Umber Hulk - Slowed,Poisoned - 94%"
- currently targetted object/NPC/monster should have the same information, color coded by encounter difficulty
- PC and NPC movement speed should be 25% faster across the board.
- one single command to automatically pick up all gold, gems, and magical items in the area and put them in the inventory of unencumbered party members (like dungeon siege)
- lose the horrible hold-right-click interaction entirely
- implied targetting. What this means is, if you cast a healing spell with an enemy targetted, it will heal the enemy's target. If you cast a damage spell with a friendly targetted, it will target the friendly's target. Of course that breaks the whole healing spells and undead thing, but does anyone really use that?
- camera should pull back more
- transparent huge map overlay (like diablo2)
- minimap should be resizable
- big map should have every point of interest available on the minimap. It doesn't right now.
Turning off the Druid's ability use in the behavior tab on her character sheet disables her wild shaping and turns her into an effective spell-casting killing machine. The level of spell use doesn't seem to work, though.
Buy everyone healing potions and they will use them. Unfortunately, this provokes attacks of opportunity but it gives you the capability to intervene.
Also, the space bar is your friend.
What I'd like is Companion AI which switches from ranged to melee weapons when the enemies close the distance. The enemy AI does this, why can't my companions?
Huh. I thought only your main character interacts with NPCs. If you try to talk to an NPC with another character, it swaps your main character in his/her place instead. Try it.
Originally Posted by stusser
You're right, but it should take whoever has the highest skill.
Meh...maybe if you have someone in your party it gives you a bonus or something, but I'd rather have the conversation system go from the point of my character, for the most part, instead of having to pick who has the highest this or that to get the optimal result.
Originally Posted by stusser
I don't think it should. Interacting with one character, but using another characters skill...
Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case they should also take out the spell-craft skill because it has no purpose. I guess I wasted enough points in that skill.
Originally Posted by olaf
How do you set up a dual weapon hotkey in NWN2? In the old one, you just dragged two one-handed weapons to the same slot.
There should be on screen indicators for the "stances" (follow, guard, stand ground) as well as controls to change the stance for individuals and for the whole group.
There should be keyboard controls to pan the camera in free camera mode.
The AI options should be fixed to work like they say they work. Healing potions are items, stop using them god damn it. Use ability doesn't work consistently either since my bard just can't stop changing what inspiration I have him set to unless I keep him in puppet mode.
Fix spell targeting to be one consistent mechanism (like the OP stated).
Make these changes and most of my frustration with this great game hobbled by bad UI will be gone.
Short answer: You cant.
Originally Posted by scharmers
Long answer: you can after patch 1.2 :D
Three things that I would love that I cant see anyone mention are
1. Add notes to the map, since there is not Fog of War I really need to have some way to remind myself where I have been and where I should go.
2. Different colored damage "tags". With that I mean that the damage I and my party do is written in white and damage enemy does on us in red or something like that.
3. Small icons along party portraits that describes what that party member is doing(disarming, fighting, casting spell) that would help me see if any party member is just standing there while all others fight.
Your Long Answer™ leaves much to be desired... one, it wasn't very long, two, got a link to back that up?
Originally Posted by wolfbane
Hey, my long answer is about 75% longer then my short answer ;D
Originally Posted by Matt Perkins
From J.E. Sawyer lead designer NWN2
"This morning I ran into Brock Heinz's office and yelled "DUAL-WIELDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!" and rolled around on his futon and flipped upside down and pounded on the floor and then fell on my face.
He understood where I was coming from and said he thought we should look into the matter sooner rather than later. I am here to say that dual-wielding (as well as weapon/shield combos) on the quickbar is being implemented for Patch 2.
Sorry this wasn't in to begin with, but it's comin'!"
I would love this, also as a small mouse-over tool-tip. (including bashable locked items)
Originally Posted by stusser
I forgot to add:
Click on the mini map and have the characters go there or at the very least, move the camera there.