Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: God Hand, Goddamn....

Mad Chester

God Hand, Goddamn....

Please please tell me theres a way to shut off the music in this thing. The same Hawaii 5-0 theme playing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....It is literally ruining the game for me.

Otherwise I'm about 3 hours in and am having some fun, though in retrospect, I would've just rented it having known the amount of repetition thats starting to show itself.

Spinning Toe
    If you want to turn off the cheesy surfer music, you're not playing the game right.

Mad Chester
    What the shit's going on with the reviews for this one?

Gamespot score - 8.0
    IGN score - 3.0

WTF?!

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxman_72

Gamespot score - 8.0
    IGN score - 3.0

WTF?!
    Some people enjoy surf music more than others?

Mad Chester
    I'm up to the gay boss duo, and I'm having a great time. If you're not like me and Final Fight isn't your favorite game, I guess I could see maybe giving it a 6.5 or a maybe a 6.0. Maybe. But 3 - just .3 better than the worst game of the two thousands, American McGee's Bad Day LA - has got to be some kind of sanctionable professional misconduct.

Mad Chester

Account closed New Romantic
    Don't see any camera problems there.

To add a little more mathematical perspective, God Hand's 3.0 rating is in the bottom 5% of IGN's ratings. The bottom 4.2%, to be exact. 95.8% of games that IGN has ever reviewed have gotten a higher score than God Hand.

Mad Chester
    That's what I'm saying. And now, apparently, Clover Studios is closing forever.

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e061012a.html

New Romantic
    It's times like this that I wish I could sort reviews by reviewer so I could have some context for Chris Roper's opinions.

Come on, Matt. Go all Metafuture on his ass.

Troy

Mad Chester
    It's one of the few reviews I've ever read that explicitly mentions that the score reflects the opinion of the entire editorial staff.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    That's what I'm saying. And now, apparently, Clover Studios is closing forever.

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e061012a.html
    Rumour is that the Clover people are just splitting away from Capcom.

New Romantic
    It is possible for people to just have differing opinions on games you know. One mans 8.0 game is anothers 3.0.

World's End Supernova
    Watchin' TV in the window of a furniture store. Gamertag: surplus bags
    What the fuck is with that "Another Take" at the end of the IGN review?

In my years of working here at IGN, no other game has earned the universal disdain God Hand generated among our editorial staff... God Hand is an obviously bad game... It's too bad to be real... God Hand is still worth playing

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    Rumour is that the Clover people are just splitting away from Capcom.
    Hope that's true. God Hand doesn't look like my cuppa, but Okami and VJ are both great.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Jones
    It is possible for people to just have differing opinions on games you know. One mans 8.0 game is anothers 3.0.
    Not on the internet it's not possible. Judging from the gameplay video linked in this thread, if I were to review the game, I'd probably give it somewhere in the range of a 3.0 as well. It's great that people like it (hell, I enjoyed SW2 and N3), but obviously not a game for everyone (as the IGN review says).

New Romantic
    I played it yesterday, and it's been a while since I was really frustrated with a game and yet still having fun with it. I love the idea of unlocking new attack combos and customizing your attacks that way. The camera was abit annoying as it felt too zoomed in for me. Also is their an easy way to deal with demons if you don't have your god hand bar full? Also what is the point of leveling up and down?

How To Go
    San Francisco, CA X360 & PS3 gamertag: Whitta
    I'd rather use a coin flip to decide a game purchase than rely on an IGN review.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyFoo
    Not on the internet it's not possible.
    I know, I know - everyone loves MGS, Zelda, and wacky japanese games. All these games must get 8.0 or higher and anyone that doesn't think that way is a heretic, that must be burned ASAP.

How To Go
    Regardless of differing opinions among gamers, 3.0 is a ludicrous score for this game.

Social Worker
    I heard that this game is hard, can anyone confirm?

Mad Chester
    I know, I know - everyone loves MGS, Zelda, and wacky japanese games. All these games must get 8.0 or higher and anyone that doesn't think that way is a heretic, that must be burned ASAP.
    Yeah, it's true. Sometimes I get too passionate about stupid things. I know it's immature. I spent a few minutes browsing your posts, and I have to say that I respect the way your evenhandedness elevates every debate. Like in this thread I found about Lindsey Lohan's snatch where, without resorting to insults or hyperbole, you graciously acknowledge that you'd totally fuck Charisma Carpenter even though some people wouldn't.

New Romantic
    Granted, this game isn't for everyone. Some people may not like the brawler genre. Others may be bored to tears by Flight Simulator.

So, if a reviewer is completely bored to tears by Flight Simulator, it deserves to be classified in the same category as Bad Day LA? Bad Day LA doesn't appeal to anyone at all, it's an all around unredeemable crap fest. God Hand is a brawler lover's dream game.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Yeah, it's true. Sometimes I get too passionate about stupid things. I know it's immature. I spent a few minutes browsing your posts, and I have to say that I respect the way your evenhandedness elevates every debate. Like in this thread I found about Lindsey Lohan's snatch where, without resorting to insults or hyperbole, you graciously acknowledge that you'd totally fuck Charisma Carpenter even though some people wouldn't.
    Wow that's almost exactly what I said. Oh wait, it's not:

I think she looks pretty good - maybe not as good as she did 10 years ago, but still pretty good.

Pillow Talk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxman_72

Gamespot score - 8.0
    IGN score - 3.0

WTF?!
    Well, you see, that 3.0 review is attached to the acronym "IGN," which denotes a terrible review site.

Social Worker
    Wow that's almost exactly what I said. Oh wait, it's not:
    I would lay good odds that there are very few straight men on this board that wouldn't fuck Charisma given the chance.

New Romantic
    So for the people who bought it, is it worth the $30? I played it for about 10 minutes at eb yesterday and had fun, the game sorta reminded me of Breath of Fire or Dead Rising , as when you die you keep all attacks , money and level (?) when you continue.

And yes this game is very hard, in the 10 minutes I played I must have died 6 times. The game is similar to Ninja Gaiden as even the basic enemies can take you out. Also this game really isn't a button masher in the classic sense. Once enemies start blocking, if you keep attacking they will parry and counter your attacks. The only way to knock them out is to use a guard breaker attack.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Backov
    I would lay good odds that there are very few straight men on this board that wouldn't fuck Charisma given the chance.
    Read that thread, noun wouldn't! Anyway, just pointing out that I didn't say it, not whether I was thinking it or not :P

Spinning Toe
    My guess: The IGN people played on Easy. They say things like "gets redundant" and "is just a time wasting roadblock" but let me tell you if you're not on your toes any and all enemies will kick your ass. There's no such thing as a boring fight in God Hand - four hits and you're out.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    My guess: The IGN people played on Easy. They say things like "gets redundant" and "is just a time wasting roadblock" but let me tell you if you're not on your toes any and all enemies will kick your ass. There's no such thing as a boring fight in God Hand - four hits and you're out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Roper
    While some of them have varying combat skills, like being able to quickly hop up when thrown to the ground or an affinity for dodging, you generally just run at them, punch away until they're about to attack and then flip away in cowardice. Rinse and repeat.
    Sounds like timing is everything, James ;)

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom McNamara
    Sounds like timing is everything, James ;)
    Well no wonder then! If you play the game like that, it takes half an hour to beat one of the easier enemies, much less anything difficult. I mean - it works, I guess, but it's certainly not a good way to beat the game.