Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by zengonzo View Post

Every now and then, though, you get a dwarf who appeases Armok more through works.
    Quatoria is a favored dwarf of Armok.

New Romantic
    Today we wanted to see how the hospital zones worked out over there in a real fortress environment, so Zach took his fort and made a dwarf-dropping device. After a few false starts, we got a dwarf with a compound fracture in his left hand. One of the caretakers wanted to clean the dwarf off but kept dumping the water next to the dwarf, over and over. Once that was sorted out, surgery began. The dwarf Zach had selected didn't have any surgical experience. As I was watching, blood splattered on the walls and floor, and another dwarf ran over to diagnose the patient again, while the dabbling surgeon moved between repairing the compound fracture and trying to stop bleeding from malpractice. Eventually it was time to suture up the wound, and the dabbling surgeon did this... then again... then again... our poor patient had four sutures in his left wrist before I got the bug figured out. Bandaging worked out fine, but I had screwed up the meal requests for patients that can move under their own power, so while the patient was waiting for a splint to be constructed in the workshops the caretakers left him to die of thirst. I got the splint together just in time, the caretaker put it on correctly, and the patient jumped out of bed and ran to get a drink.
    No comment required :)

Neo Acoustic
    Perth, Western Australia. Steam ID: Talorc
    Forget Skynet, Dwarf Fortress is clearly the AI system that will soon become self aware and take over the world!

Social Worker
    This is a very worrying thought considering how often the dwarves go insane.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo View Post
    This is a very worrying thought considering how often the dwarves go insane.
    Indeed! No insane people leading the world now... ehm wonder or we'll even notice the difference further then the leaders being short and have long beards.

Social Worker
    The difference is we will know more about the family, medical and professional history and the personal grooming habits of the dwarven leaders than we do about the current ones.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post

<dwarf hospital description>

No comment required :)
    Damn. I mean - DAMN! Please tell me it was a joke. Is it really from the DF author, describing what he is working on now?

I mean - it's truly fascinating and awe-inspiring, in some strange way. But man, it sounds as if I will die of an old age before this game will have half-decent UI. :((( <crying>

Account closed How To Go
    Yes, you will. Bitching about it doesn't change anything. Be happy that you have wonderful dwarven madness for free.

Social Worker
    You have a half-decent UI now.

You'll die of old age before getting a FULLY decent UI.

New Romantic
    Three-quarters, all I ask.

Mousewheel list scroll and right-click context menus.

Account closed How To Go
    Mass Effect 2 doesn't have mousewheel support. Think about that for a moment.

New Romantic
    Do you mean for the menus?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...w/R139215.html

cycle weapons with the mouse wheel

I actually only just discovered the mousewheel for map resizing in DF, which is kind of cool. Going through levels that way might be better, though. Through task lists would be best.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Yes, you will. Bitching about it doesn't change anything.
    Wrong. Bitching can make you feel better. >;)

Be happy that you have wonderful dwarven madness for free.
    I am, except I can't really fully enjoy it with current UI (I've tried several times, trust me). I would be happy to give author 50$ if I would get a DF with decent UI to play in return.

World's End Supernova
    I do find Toadie's programming updates funny. It's tough not to read about this game and at least be amused by the stories that people give of unexpected or unintended consequences.

Broad Band
    The UI in Dwarf Fortress is the Roguelike equivalent to skillfulling using Macros and hotkeys in a MMORPG. When you are good, it becomes an extension of your fingers. My only complaint is that the DF interface is a little harder to use with a laptop that doesn't have the number keys - but I've managed to learn it fine.

So in the MMORPG world they would tell you to "QQ more n00b!" but we roguelike people are far more stately.

BTW, STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD, I KEEP THINKING THAT IT'S RELEASE DAY!

Oops... I just broke my own commandment.

How To Go
    Has Toadie been taken by a fey mood?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by baelthazar View Post
    My only complaint is that the DF interface is a little harder to use with a laptop that doesn't have the number keys - but I've managed to learn it fine.
    That's actually my greatest problem. I pretty much exclusively play on my laptop, when I'm about.

And remapping keys sometimes seems to work better for some menus, but then is awkward for others. I can't quite remember what the result was - but I recall the last time I attempted to remap it created as many problems as it had fixed.

Social Worker
    The simple remap that I do is the one suggested on the WIKI. I think I'd have problems playing on a normal keyboard because this remap is all I've known.

Code:
    [SECONDSCROLL_UP:KEYDB]
    [SECONDSCROLL_DOWN:KEYDD]
    [SECONDSCROLL_PAGEUP:MINUS]
    [SECONDSCROLL_PAGEDOWN:PLUS]

Neo Acoustic
    Toady One created a race of cave fish men. He put a few into the arena to test out their combat ability. He was confused when they just wandered around and didn't fight.

Until he remembered that cave fish are blind.

How To Go
    I'm glad he's having fun. It's been a long time since the last major release, though.

Account closed New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    I'm glad he's having fun. It's been a long time since the last major release, though.
    I hate the internet sometimes.

How To Go
    And the internet hates you, Bob. However, as someone who is subscribed to his news feeds and has donated on several occasions, I feel comfortable with suggesting that he's taking too long to get this release out.

Oh god, it's worse when you explicitly say it.

How To Go
    YES BOB I FEEL ENTITLED TO A NEW RELEASE

I don't, of course. I donated because I enjoyed playing the game. But you seem to believe that any mention of how long it's taking for this version to come out is completely unacceptable. That's just silly.

The fact that I'm a huge fan of his game with all its wackyness is apparently passing you by.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJustBob View Post
    Oh god, it's worse when you explicitly say it.
    I'm not surprised that you of all people think it's unreasonable for those who paid for content to complain when they see nothing but Toady fucking around with meaningless bullshit and posting about it instead of releasing the next iteration of the game in a timely matter.

I'm sure Toady's having a lot of fun doing whatever the fuck he wants and accepting donations for it. Great socially inbred developer, or slick con artist? A little bit of both.

New Romantic
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    I'm not surprised that you of all people think it's unreasonable for those who paid for content to complain when they see nothing but Toady fucking around with meaningless bullshit and posting about it instead of releasing the next iteration of the game in a timely matter.

I'm sure Toady's having a lot of fun doing whatever the fuck he wants and accepting donations for it. Great socially inbred developer, or slick con artist? A little bit of both.
    No one has paid for anything.

Neo Acoustic

There's not a lot of things on the internet that will make me angry. But this qualifies. I've been on the other side of this kind of behaviour with Alice and Kev, and I would just like to say:

You are not being very nice, and I disapprove.

Social Worker

That "fucking around" is why Dwarf Fortress is so awesome. It's Toady's way of testing things. As you can see from that very blurb that was posted, he fixed multiple bugs in the course of his little experiment. Fixing bugs and refining features seems like exactly what he should be doing before putting out a major release, no?

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by tiohn View Post
    No one has paid for anything.
    Yeah that's the brilliance of having a donation system, then you can just say "hey I didn't promise anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by roBurky View Post
    There's not a lot of things on the internet that will make me angry. But this qualifies. I've been on the other side of this kind of behaviour with Alice and Kev, and I would just like to say:
    You are not being very nice, and I disapprove.
    I don't think you expected the type of publicity you got from that, and the popularity of your Sims 3 experiment exploded really quickly. I'm sorry you're offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Majkut View Post
    That "fucking around" is why Dwarf Fortress is so awesome. It's Toady's way of testing things. As you can see from that very blurb that was posted, he fixed multiple bugs in the course of his little experiment. Fixing bugs and refining features seems like exactly what he should be doing before putting out a major release, no?
    You should have quoted features instead of "fucking around".

It's great that criticizing his methods for game development brings a swarm of rabid defenders to his side to espouse the "when it's done!" philosophy when it's fairly obvious from this site and his own that people are having some of the same expectations of a timely release.

"But wait he never promised you anything!"
    Last edited by Pogo; 02-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Yeah that's the brilliance of having a donation system, then you can just say "hey I didn't promise anything!"
    You are being an enormous cock right now, you know.

Toady can say he didn't promise anything, because he didn't promise anything. He doesn't owe you anything, and no amount of petulant whining on your part can change that.