Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Spinning Toe
    Yes, it looks nice.

Which one is more complete tileset - this new one or Mike's?

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    I can't believe I haven't been using Dwarf manager this entire time. I used to dread getting immigrants and integrating them into my fortress but now its easy to see what I need and who to assign.
    ditto. Though I noticed that it's incomplete. For instance there's no catagory for Lye Making.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Icehole View Post
    For instance there's no catagory for Lye Making.
    Preposterous!

Neo Acoustic
    indeed I am incensed

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Icehole View Post
    ditto. Though I noticed that it's incomplete. For instance there's no catagory for Lye Making.

Or animal care and related.

But its still better than nothing.

New Romantic
    Yes there is, it's right-click, "reasign to custome profession name:" then click "minion" and untick all skills but hauling ;)

Peter

New Romantic
    Hmm - I like the tileset (for some reason it makes the game run MUCH quicker?!) but it does make walls a bit harder to spot. And I needed to install his ini file to make it work. Now I need to go edit it, arg.

....actually, no. I don't like it so much. It's too "cluttered" somehow..
    Last edited by Calistas; 01-26-2009 at 09:40 PM.

New Romantic
    "Engraved on the floor is a finely-detailed image of Kulus the Kobold and a giant cave spider silk sock. Kulus is raising the giant cave spider silk sock. The engraving relates to the theft of a giant cave spider silk sock from Toadcat the Void of Toes by Kobold Kulus in the midspring of 204"

...yup, not much has happened in Toadcat yet.

Social Worker
    That's why I always kill some of the first immigrants, makes for good engravings :D

Social Worker
    So how do I work this dwarf manager thingy? :P

Social Worker
    Just open it and then click the "Load from DF" button on the bottom right. That'll load all the dwarves and their labors and skills. When a square is green it means that labor is enabled, the size of the grey square inside is their skill level. Clicking the square will enable/disable that labor.

After you have everything set how you want it click the "Write to DF" button and you should be good to go

Social Worker
    So do I just constantly leave this running in the background? Is it known to hose saved games? :(

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Majkut View Post
    So do I just constantly leave this running in the background? Is it known to hose saved games? :(

The only app that hoses DF saved games is, erm, Dwarf Fortress :(

Getting rid of tattered clothing

I have some dwarves that want some new duds. I tried to look into each dwarf and forbidding + dumping the clothing.

However, they still hold on to their X { Pig Tail Trousers }

Do I need economy + shops enabled before they'll change?

World's End Supernova
    I believe the requirement for that is sexually confused and promiscuous hipsters in your society.

Neo Acoustic
    Economy and shops didn't solve my tattered clothing problem either, with 2-3 clothing stores. Even for the legendary dwarfs who don't have to pay for anything, they don't seem to want to buy new clothes. Dumb bastards will obsessively collect as many scepters as they can, but get less-breezy pair of pants? Naw.

New Romantic
    I think that individual likes and dislikes inform a dwarf's willingness to go get new clothes. Unfortunately, you can't yet specify individual kinds of leather, plant fiber, or silk to the clothes makers and leatherworkers.

But my last Baroness likes giant naked mole rat leather and, by gum, she goes out and gets it.

New Romantic
    If we are doing an above-ground AAR we are going to have to think about how we get stone. I am guessing we can probe down and then open-cast or shaft mine in the traditional way. But still live above ground. I am guessing a lot of early construction will be made of wood as well.

You should build a huge moat, and fill it with pointy sharpened trees. Then dig down deep to ensure you can give a WARM welcome to the pointy-eared invaders.

Spinning Toe

They're looking at me funny

Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars View Post
    But my last Baroness likes giant naked mole rat leather and, by gum, she goes out and gets it.
    I HAD to laugh at loud at that. That got some looks, and the heck if I'm gonna explain the laugh. Saying those words aloud to other human beings really should never ever happen.

New Romantic
    I will start the succession game this weekend. First I want to fiddle with pumps and windmills. Very important tools for the sacrificial maze I think...

New Romantic
    Thought i'd show of an amusing project.

DINNER THEATER FOR DWARFS!

The top floor is a dinning room....

The bottom floor is a breeding pit for goblins. For fun I chuck in spare random creatures to see what happens. They had a big fight with a tame horse, but the vermin seem to get on just fine with the gobos :)

Account closed New Romantic
    I don't know how anyone can play with those hideous tilesets. You can't tell what anything is.

New Romantic
    I don't know how people can read words. Those lines are all just meaningless squiggles!

Like any game, you've just got to learn the signs.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJustBob View Post
    I don't know how anyone can play with those hideous tilesets. You can't tell what anything is.
    I didn't want to be the first to comment, but count me in with the ASCII crowd. I guess if you start out with tilesets it might make things easier, but it'd be a step back if you have any experience with roguelikes. I thought there were some simpler tilesets out there that seemed reasonable though.

Still, I would cry without the ASCII dwarf head. So adorable.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I didn't want to be the first to comment, but count me in with the ASCII crowd. I guess if you start out with tilesets it might make things easier, but it'd be a step back if you have any experience with roguelikes. I thought there were some simpler tilesets out there that seemed reasonable though.

Still, I would cry without the ASCII dwarf head. So adorable.
    I wouldn't play this game without the tilesets. There are different entry levels, and playing this in ASCII is too abstract for me.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    I wouldn't play this game without the tilesets. There are different entry levels, and playing this in ASCII is too abstract for me.
    The ASCII doesn't bother me, but then I'm very much infected with Teh Old.

However, much as I love the concept and my foray into the first couple years of a dungeon were interesting, I kept wanting to throw things at the monitor for the crappy user interface. ASCII graphics would be fine, but give me some god damn modern UI features like drag-n-drop, click-drag to select an area for a stockpile, right click on a dwarf to bring up info, etc.

Ugly graphics aren't a big deal. Poor usability, sadly, is a game breaker. DF could easily be the most engrossing game of all time for me, if it had a real interface.

*sigh*. I've ranted on it before and I know it does no good. The developer has pretty much stated he has no desire to make the game more accessible.

New Romantic
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Why can't I engrave my walls? I try to select some limestone walls for engraving, yet nothing is highlighted.

Social Worker
    First you've got to smooth the stone by designating it before you can engrave it.

New Romantic
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
    Oh, thanks.