Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Social Worker
    I thought games had to be specifically programmed to take advantage of that. Something tells me Toady hasn't done that.

New Romantic
    I'm-a pick this back up, sounds like it'll be much harder now.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    I thought games had to be specifically programmed to take advantage of that. Something tells me Toady hasn't done that.
    Windows 32bit artificially limits a process to 2GB of addressable space. If an app hits the 2GB limit, even if your machine has more free memory, it will get an out of memory error.

Windows 64 lets a process address up to 4GB for a 32Bit process, but only if the app is marked as supporting this. This is not a compile time feature, and can be added afterwards.

Actually I am not to sure about the 64 vs 32 OS, the LBA might work on Win32 as well but I don't know. LBA is mostly of use for those on 64 bit machines with 4GB or more memory.

Edit: Ah, on a 32bit OS LBA limits itself to 3GB instead of 4GB.
    Last edited by Gendal; 02-21-2012 at 02:36 PM.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    "It is snowing elf frozen blood"

New Romantic
    My fortress is on level 0.

Closest magma? Level 161.

Ug.

New Romantic
    Pumps. Alternately, drop a plug of rock into the pool and a layer of magma will fly upwards that you can trap.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendal View Post
    My fortress is on level 0.

Closest magma? Level 161.

Ug.
    Yeah not a huge fan of how magma vents or volcanoes work now. I've started a new fort using the world gen parameters:

Worldgen paramaters:

Created in DF v0.34.02.
    Spoiler: world gen

[WORLD_GEN]
    [TITLE:CREATE WORLD NOW = 1355555]
    [SEED:5Fcr77ZMcJUiXa41Qlmx]
    [HISTORY_SEED:tNzTUMWptqlmWCzKQ6Td]
    [NAME_SEED:j8vk0P65RQG8lB27k42Y]
    [CREATURE_SEED:PBwLCJHyGq6AIDpidRQx]
    [DIM:17:17]
    [EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
    [END_YEAR:250]
    [BEAST_END_YEAR:250:-1]
    [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
    [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
    [ELEVATION:1:400:401:401]
    [RAINFALL:0:100:26:26]
    [TEMPERATURE:25:75:26:26]
    [DRAINAGE:0:100:26:26]
    [VOLCANISM:0:100:26:26]
    [SAVAGERY:0:100:26:26]
    [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:3:1:2:3:4:5]
    [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [MINERAL_SCARCITY:100]
    [MEGABEAST_CAP:2]
    [SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:4]
    [TITAN_NUMBER:2]
    [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
    [DEMON_NUMBER:20]
    [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:10]
    [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:10]
    [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:10]
    [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:10]
    [SECRET_NUMBER:20]
    [REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
    [DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
    [EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:10]
    [EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:10]
    [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
    [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
    [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
    [PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
    [COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
    [VOLCANO_MIN:1]
    [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
    [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:10]
    [RIVER_MINS:1:1]
    [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
    [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
    [SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
    [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
    [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
    [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
    [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
    [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
    [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
    [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
    [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:2]
    [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:2]
    [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
    [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
    [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
    [SITE_CAP:36]
    [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
    [ELEVATION_RANGES:36:72:36]
    [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:36:72]
    [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Snagged from reddit

You end up with a pretty awesome embark, mostly flat, surface volcano, huge pillar, surface ponds but no running water on surface.
    Last edited by Wolff; 02-22-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Iphone copy/paste sucks

New Romantic
    That embark is almost like cheating it's so good. My only complaint was all of the unsmoothable mud/sand/etc in the spire. You can build your own walls but that's such an irritation. Anyways, the undead ate this fort too.

So I started up a new one with a volcano as well and everything was going great, including steel production. Then the undead showed up again.

Gendal, build some defences, use burrows, lay traps, and for gods sake get that bridge raised I hear you say. I did! I even built an awesome lava moat. Unfortunately I failed to take into account an overhanging cliff that managed to cross both the moat and the wall. Stupid 3D.

My two full squads, axedwarves and markdwarves repelled the first assault but then everything just sprang back to life including the previous assault's casualties apparently. Not really sure. Never saw a necromancer so apparently the undead just keep getting back up, stronger each time, until completely dismembered.

Also the moat filled with lava? That just produces burning zombies, which as we all know just makes them more dangerous.

Losing must be fun, because I can't stop playing.

New Romantic
    So I'm writing a book on Dwarf Fortress
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102853.0

Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post
    So I'm writing a book on Dwarf Fortress
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102853.0
    Congratulations! I think I might actually get that. :)

New Romantic
    Thanks! Got some more writing to do and two children. Difficult, but I will get there!

New Romantic
    MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND, CALISTAS

MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND THEIR OWN WEAKNESS

New Romantic
    I will try! I am intimately familiar with weakness!

Neo Acoustic
    That's really awesome Calistas. O'Reilly and DF in the same breath seems... odd. Which makes it more awesome. But the real question.... what animal?

Broad Band
    If it's not a carp, what's the point?

Social Worker
    Even though I don't play DF, that's awesome, congrats!

New Romantic
    Thanks! I was actually thinking elephants. And they are planning a custom cover done in ASCII! Awesome!

And yes, O'Reilly and DF just sound really cute and funny together. If it ever goes to a physical book I would love to see it wedged between some of O'Reilly's other books!

Social Worker
    Slick. Someone in the Bay12 thread said the same thing, but I'll say it again-- thanks. Your tutorials pretty much taught me how to play. :P

New Romantic
    That's awesome Calistas. I won't buy a digital copy because uh... I have been playing the game for awhile now, but a hard copy? It can go right in between my O'Reilly LDAP and Regex books.

Also Elephants are no longer the terrifying force to be reckoned with that they were back in the days of Boatmurdered. Actually I don't even think they can eat fodder fast enough to even survive these days. Which is why: Carp.

Mad Chester
    Aren't Sturgeon more deadly than Carp these days?

Although they don't have the PR department carp do, which holds them back.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether I should install one of the fancy tilesets if I'm just starting to learn the game, or just stick to ASCII? I've played enough roguelikes that I think I'd get by OK without tiles, but when I look at screenshots in Boatmurdered and the like it just looks like gibberish.

New Romantic
    YES. Get the lazy newb pack, find ye graphics tab in the LNP launcher, select Phoebus, install button, run game. It is much, much easier. Also, I prefer the square tiles in the packs to the rectangular ones in the default.

Yes, good point on carp. We will have to see what O'Reilly come up with as they are sorting the cover out. It will be cool to see an ASCII (or is the correct term ANSI?) cover though!

And yeah, the nice thing about a print version would be snuggling it between all your tech books. Lol. Now, I wonder if they would do a leather bound artifact edition, with spikes!?

World's End Supernova
    I can't say whether you should use tiles or not. But if you can handle ASCII graphics in general, you'll pick them up quickly here. A lot of the gibberish is just visual noise you'll start to tune out automatically -- storerooms filled with a variety of items, blood and guts, trees and shrubs, engraved walls, traps, and workshops with little ASCII characters for flavor.

It's pretty basic when you start out: just bare rooms and hallways. You'll absorb the extra stuff as it appears.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post
    Yes, good point on carp. We will have to see what O'Reilly come up with as they are sorting the cover out. It will be cool to see an ASCII (or is the correct term ANSI?) cover though!
    I believe DF uses ANSI Code Page something-or-other, but everyone says ASCII and everyone knows what they mean, so... close enough.

Thither: I would use the tiles until you're up to speed with the game. You can always go back to just looking at the code later, but while learning the game I'd use a tileset.

New Romantic
    Yeah, with the LNP you can easily flip between tiles and default and see which you prefer. The default version does run faster too.

Hmm I think I should include a couple of pages on advanced world gen - perhaps just saying how to do something simple like adding a lot more volcanos and a lot more evil areas.

I have done this myself by changing the min_volcano setting and the variance of evil areas (lots:lots:lots:lots!). Any of you don't similar and have any criticisms of my method?

New Romantic
    I am a big fan of the latest TrueType versions, I can barely read the standard font. I would probably use ASCII if it wasn't for the whole square vs rectangle issue. I hate building and digging when the blocks aren't square.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendal View Post
    I am a big fan of the latest TrueType versions, I can barely read the standard font.
    How does the game scale in Windows 7 at high resolution? I'm just starting to play a few roguelikes again, some of which only support a small DOS window. It makes me want to set up my CRT monitor again.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    How does the game scale in Windows 7 at high resolution? I'm just starting to play a few roguelikes again, some of which only support a small DOS window. It makes me want to set up my CRT monitor again.
    The main interface is great. You can zoom in and out and it scales perfectly with the mousewheel. Most of the text interface screens not so much. This is next on Toady's todo list (yay!).

My standard setup is 3 24" monitors with DF on the main screen maxed out, StoneSense maxed on the left and Dwarf Therapist maxed on the right. Then I swap in DFHack for mining veins with an AutoHotkey and speaking of AutoHotkey I like QuickFort quite a bit as well.

That's all pretty overwhelming, but to start I just recommend Dwarf Therapist. It just makes managing your dwarfs so much easier, and it's super easy to get going with.

Note .34.03 was just released, and Dwarf Therapist, LazyNewbPack, etc are not updated yet. A couple of nice TrueType fixes and the dwarves failing to practice archery are the highlighted fixes.

Social Worker
    So I think the DF book is a cool idea, but how is that going to work? You're going to run into the same issues that you did with your tutorials. Namely it'll be an awesome resource at first but as the game continues to evolve it's going to be less and less relevant. Imagine using a tutorial from two years ago on today's version of DF. It would barely make sense, I'd think.

New Romantic
    Read what I wrote about "real time" again :)