Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

World's End Supernova
    Fucking right, you tell 'em.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrycoder View Post
    wow, that sounds very cool. I don't know why you would put that much effort into a game and not go with even the most basic of tilebased graphics and a mouse driven interface.
    This is post #2. Seems relevant, somehow.

Also, I think the only thing that's made me stop playing is not being able to see what layers you're working with before embark. It's trivial to see the top layer even without digging, so why not at least give the sedimentary/igneous/metamorphic breakdown?

Mad Chester
    Where's the fun in that? - Alan Grant

Neo Acoustic
    Adventure mode is the only mode I play anymore.

Social Worker
    There is a new release imminent! Well, except for one tiny little bug. I'm sure it will be fixed any day now...

(Toady One) Various tweaks to how the items in the stores are produced so that they better respect the state of specialization at their origin site. Did some work with market containers. Now I'm working on getting the distribution of item types to be a bit more reasonable -- right now, you end up with an awful lot of bone crafts from all the animals that are butchered over the years, so it'll have to respect the lack of demand for those a bit more than it seems to be doing. Normally this wouldn't be high enough priority to delay the release, but it's pushing all of the adventure-useful goods almost entirely out of town.
    I wonder if this will break the current "2 legendary stonecrafters give you the income to buy every caravan" economy in fortress mode.

New Romantic
    You can't beat a DF dev blog for awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by toady
    A few miscellaneous interface checks, and then back to the regional material emissions... and I still didn't manage to polish it off. Some changes are needed. For instance, I initially thought it would be enough to make the regions that rain blood draw from the civilized races, but then we ended up with regions that rain rodent man blood, which isn't as good as raining human or dwarven blood. Of course, you might prefer raining "blood", but we don't have generic blood anymore and I don't think it's proper to add it now that we've got real alternatives, though perhaps a slurry of some kind would be appropriate later. It didn't even work out right with the rodent man blood -- the indexing was screwed up, and we ended up with "a dusting of rodent man skin"... dandruff snow. Less Slayer and more Breakfast Club than we wanted, but at least I sorted that part out.

Broad Band
    Anyone for starting a pool on how soon the next but-the-UI-is-terrible post?

Account closed Spinning Toe
    New Release today. First in 11 months!

Mad Chester
    Any UI improvement?
    /runs and hides

Social Worker
    Yeah, you can designate across z-levels. So start a staircase on one level, then finish it 20 levels down. Progress!

New Romantic
    I just started futzing with this again in anticipation of the new version. Currently generating a world with the new version but I think I am going to stick with the previous Lazy Newb Pack release until they update it.

Social Worker
    Haha, it figures. I'm neck deep in the first real fortress I've played in ages and Toady goes and releases a new version to kill it. Bah! :)

Neo Acoustic
    Been quite a while since my last 10+ year fortress, but with a new version out I have no choice but to strike the earth.

But first, maybe some checking out the updated adventure mode.

Social Worker
    So I'm a little confused as to what took 11 months to build. He added some adventure mode stuff and there are vampires and werewolves now. Umm, ok? What happened to the whole caravan / economy arc thing? What happened to embarking out into the world from your fort? Does anyone actually give a crap about adventure mode? If I wanted to play a roguelike I'd go play one of the 50 better ones out there. DF is for dwarf mode.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Majkut View Post
    If I wanted to play a roguelike I'd go play one of the 50 better ones out there. DF is for dwarf mode.
    I feel the same way, but Toady does what Toady wants. I think he is only passingly interested in the game aspect, it's the fantasy story engine that gets him up in the morning.

Social Worker
    So before I dig into this one are the basic
    Mechanics unbroken in the df sense of course

New Romantic
    Yes, this version is surprisingly stable (for DF). The only thing holding me back is a lack of Dwarf Therapist.

Social Worker
    Does the Dungeon Master work again in the new version yet? I always loved training hordes of ridiculous beasts for use as defensive measures. Best one was the dragon I chained inside a bunker that would act as a flamethrower against invading goblins :)

Social Worker
    Yeah I fired up a new fort with phobeus's package. Everything seems fine but no therapist means I can't play more than a few seasons.

Social Worker
    Sure you can. I never use Therapist. Just don't be so anal about making sure every dwarf is being 100% productive 100% of the time :P

But seriously, can anyone confirm the Dungeon Master thing? I didn't see anything about it in the changelog.

New Romantic
    I never used Dwarf Therapist or anything like that --- just a new tileset.

New Romantic
    Dwarf Therapist is out for the new version:
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...318#msg2993318
    Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars View Post
    I never used Dwarf Therapist or anything like that --- just a new tileset.
    Definitely check out Dwarf Therapist. It makes managing your dwarf jobs so much easier.

Social Worker
    now the only thing holding me back is a new version of Dwarf the Rapist.

Goodluck!!
    Is there a program that combines Dwarf Therapist with the ability to analyze your dwarves?

New Romantic
    I posted this over on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I figure it might be of interest to folks here.

Hi all, I'm TinyPirate, you may remember me from some Dwarf Fortress tutorials.

Well, I'm currently working on a pretty awesome new project, which I can't speak to in detail just yet, but which offers a pretty cool opportunity for Dwarf Fortress players: I'm looking to get a half-dozen, maybe more, cool DF anecdotes illustrated by Tim Denee, the guy behind the awesome Oilfurnace and Bronzemurder DF comics. Yes! Your name could end up attached to some story artifying by Tim!

If you'd like a shot at having a DF story of yours illustrated you need to:
    - Write a reply here telling Tim and I your awesome, funny, sad or silly anecdote from DF. I'm talking things like your fortress being terrified of a giant who, it turns out, is armed with a sock, your fortress being destroyed by zombie mussels, that sort of stuff.

- Tim and I will be the final arbiters on 'cool stories'. Tim will turn the ones we chose into one-page panels of art and text.

- You can tell me about stories that aren't yours, but I can only use them if I can get hold of the owner of the anecdote.

- Be prepared to receive a PM from me if chosen so I can grab your real (or not real) name for an acknowledgement line.

- Get your anecdote here in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm happy to answer any questions or provide any clarification and in a month or so I'll be able to announce the project the art is part of more fully. Until then, I hope to read some awesome contributions soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post
    I posted this over on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I figure it might be of interest to folks here.
    I thought you were announcing your new YouTube video series of tutorials! Your Dwarf Fortress tutorials guided me through my only playthrus I ever did quite a while ago. They were very well done and even I could figure out enough to get through most of them. If I could only figure out the way the armies worked I would have probably made it further. Maybe sometimes soon again!

Unfortunately, I don't have anything remotely interesting that has happened in my DF attempts. Really looking forward to this new project and seeing what folks come up with, though!

Mad Chester
    Some guy on reddit just had his new Queen show up. His new Vampire Queen. His new Vampire Queen with 55,746 kills.

Probably the first royal I wouldn't actively try and kill.

She killed north of 34,000 Elves. I think I like her.

Social Worker
    Haha holy crap, that's amazing.

New Romantic
    Paradox needs to get a hold of Dwarf Fortress and marry it into one of their grand scope games - The stories it would produce would probably melt the universe...

New Romantic
    DO YOU FOOLS NOT SEE HOW AWESOME THIS GAME IS? IT IS BEYOND ALL OTHER GAMES!

DWARF FORTRESS IS NOT HERE FOR YOU -- YOU ARE HERE FOR DWARF FORTRESS