Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

New Romantic
    Hubris.

Social Worker
    Yeah dude, I've got this huge military outfit in plate and there's NO WAY this forgotten beast will be able to get through my traps any way and even if it does I can just let my legendary axemen take care of it.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by salwon View Post
    Yeah dude, I've got this huge military outfit in plate and there's NO WAY this forgotten beast will be able to get through my traps any way and even if it does I can just let my legendary axemen take care of it.
    Famous last words :P

New Romantic
    XLive: Qorgyle; PS3: Comfy_Pants; Loc: Portland OR
    Carp. Carp will do you in.

Spinning Toe
    I accidentally flooded my fort with magma once. I built a moat about 4 or 5 z levels deep with a staircase for the moatdigger to get himself out. I used to make staircases using up/down tiles and never bothered with the up or down specific tiles. Well, this particular staircase just happened to terminate one z level above and directly over my main entrance hallway. Using up/down removes floor tiles... so... 99% of my fortress population was sealed in behind a flaming wall of rapidly spreading lava death.

I use those down and up specific tiles a lot more, now.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by sharaleo View Post
    Dude! You know we have spoiler tags now, right?

:)
    My bad. I didn't realize this. :(

-Hrnac

Don't stress, Hrnac, I was just poking a little fun. :)

Spinning Toe
    a horse died in my dining hall. any suggestions on how to get the corpse removed? i have designated a stockpile for corpses. orders are "dwarves collect corpses" but noone seems to be trying to move the horse corpse. i have also marked it D for dump. is weight an issue? it weights 500lbs

Social Worker
    That's wasted food, butcher it!

Spinning Toe
    well its marked "rotting" and spewing a purple cloud. i don't think it can be used for food at this point, can it?

New Romantic
    Horse bodies are considered "refuse." If there's an empty space, it should get moved. The main reason corpses don't get moved is if the area is considered "outside" because there's no dirt / rock between it and the sky. Dwarf-built roofing doesn't count. You can allow Dwarfs to gather junk from outside areas (it's a preference), but that can get time consuming as they collect all sorts of stuff just lying around topside.

Social Worker
    Well if its spewing miasma then that's one of the reasons your dwarves arent dumping it hah.

New Romantic
    Vent the room to space!

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    Horse bodies are considered "refuse." If there's an empty space, it should get moved. The main reason corpses don't get moved is if the area is considered "outside" because there's no dirt / rock between it and the sky. Dwarf-built roofing doesn't count. You can allow Dwarfs to gather junk from outside areas (it's a preference), but that can get time consuming as they collect all sorts of stuff just lying around topside.
    apparently my problem was that the stockpile was set to corpses and not refuse. thanks for the tip.

New Romantic
    So this is odd - someone to the trouble of remixing my tutorial. They're using the same file/setup, and broadly the same directions, but written differently. Odd! https://dftutorial.wordpress.com/

Good Shape
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post
    Vent the room to space!
    I say we take off, and nuke the room from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Calistas View Post
    So this is odd - someone to the trouble of remixing my tutorial. They're using the same file/setup, and broadly the same directions, but written differently. Odd! https://dftutorial.wordpress.com/
    Strangely there are not even any ads. Given there's no credit for your work I guess the writer just wants to be famous. At least he updated it while copying for the latest version. You should copy it back.

EDIT: You're linked to from the About page, but just in a generic "helped me learn the game" way.

Hey this is the writer. No harm meant I just wanted to write a tutorial :). I can certainly give you more credit if you want.

Social Worker
    Busted!

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bittechno View Post
    Hey this is the writer. No harm meant I just wanted to write a tutorial :). I can certainly give you more credit if you want.
    Hey man, it's cool - I know you've used the same build (which is actually a handy way to start) and written different content - it's not the same words by any means - so I'm cool with it - carry on - the more the merrier!

Alright cool. I really loved your build by the way, it made writing it pretty fun.

New Romantic
    Thanks! Got lucky with some of the location stuff - the magma pool etc. I had some help from people here though, IIRC.

Yeah, well I'm open to suggestions :)

New Romantic
    Alrighty! I've got a fortress further than I've ever had it before. We're in year six or seven, production is humming along. I finally figured out how to get a reasonable coal-based metal shop going (chop down EVERY tree, three furnaces making coal to feed two smelters and one blacksmith... ugh). I've got a nascent military - three squads. One of four marksdwarves, the other two are melee types.

I have no confidence in defending my fort. I have a drawbridge covering the entrance that's basically a cheap "I win" for any siege, but I'd really like to be able to actually fight them off. I've worked through magmawiki but I still have very little confidence - can anyone give me practical advice on controlling my military? My particular questions:

- how do alerts and burrows interact? From what I gather the general idea is I can flag an alert to get a squad to go to a particular burrow, while popping the civilian alert to make them run to another burrow?
    - What's the best way to actually defend? Depend on burrows? Give squads move orders? Or....?

Thus far I've only faced one goblin ambush a couple of years ago, my cage traps took care of them. The goblins were disarmed and used for a hilarious live fire exercise. I assume that as my fortress grows in value I'll face more outside pressure?

Architecture wise, I built my guys a great hall that is 4 zlevels tall, with two separate balconies (off of which are located the living quarters). Natural stone pillars support the whole edifice, reaching from top to bottom.

Social Worker
    12 half-trained half-outfitted dwarves is not enough to repel an invasion. If they're 12 metal armoured legendary dwarves then yeah, you're fine until a few get killed unluckily.

- how do alerts and burrows interact? From what I gather the general idea is I can flag an alert to get a squad to go to a particular burrow, while popping the civilian alert to make them run to another burrow?
    Right. Anyone not in a squad is put into the "Civilian" squad. You set the civilian squad alert orders to stick to the 'safe' burrow you designate.

- What's the best way to actually defend? Depend on burrows? Give squads move orders? Or....?
    Burrows are a pain in the ass to maintain as they need to grow whenever you give digging orders, which is always. So I just set a safe burrow in the dining room and then use the 's'quad menu to control my squads by hand.

Some other military advice for a large fortress:
    • If you don't have good armour your dwarves will die. Armour is more important than weapons.
    • If your dwarves are untrained they will die horribly as soon as goblin marksmen start appearing.
    • Goblin marksmen squads are the only real challenge you'll face. There are two alternatives to taking them out:
      ** Run a metal-clad legendary squad straight at them. Hope that none will be hit as they close the gap.
      ** Run some cannon fodder at them and send the legendary squad in afterwards when they're occupied ripping the fodder apart. Keeps your legendaries safer but can be a drain on fortress happiness.
    • You are going to get squads wiped out. When this happens you need another squad all trained up and ready to replace them. You have to set up a training pipeline so that new fully trained squads are available to instantly replace losses.
    • It takes at least years to train a squad.
    • At 100 dwarves, I like to have 6x4man squads, with two fully trained and the rest training in reserve. After battles you consolidate squads aggressively (so if both active squads lost a man turn them into one 6 man squad) and start a new squad training.
    • Make sure you keep the military-oriented noble spots filled.
    • Your military in training mode move between the barracks, dining hall and bed. You want these all close to the entrance.
    • 30% of the time forgotten beats will fuck you up 100% of the time. Their poison, attack and defense are heavily randomised. Generally they're a pushover but every now and then they'll kill your entire military with a single poison breath. Just avoid em.
    • Legendary beasts are pretty easy now with the new combat system. Pile enough dwarves on and you'll get a lucky brain tear in seconds.

New Romantic
    Thanks for the advice! My military is currently outfitted in iron armor. No flux stone on the map, so I'm dependent on getting some from the mountainhome, along with steel.

Shortly after posting I had my first real goblin ambush. I had all the civilians run for the hills, sent the military out. They acquitted themselves well! Six kills, with no military casualties. Sadly there's a civilian casualty, he's currently in the hospital awaiting diagnosis. He's my legendary woodcutter, I hope he's going to be OK!

Aaaaaand as I was typing that he disappeared from the hospital. He's back to work. Looks like a minor wound to his lower body. I think he'll be OK!

New Romantic
    No mention of corridor traps of doom? That was always my primary defense. A retracting bridge over a deep pit, triggered by pressure plates just before you cross the bridge, can handle the majority of most invasions. Add a few weapon traps followed by some cage traps (for stuff like bronze colossi) and security is complete.

Social Worker
    Well yeah, if you want to do some construction without worrying about invaders that's the way to go. But it's less fun.

Thanks for the advice! My military is currently outfitted in iron armor. No flux stone on the map, so I'm dependent on getting some from the mountainhome, along with steel.
    The most important part is "better than leather". But yeah, trade is basically just good for military stuff (and clothing materials) once your fort is up and running. The steel stuff traders bring is ridiculously expensive though, so make sure you have three or four legendary stone crafters for income generation.

BTW, has anyone figured out what profit margin traders will accept? I generally offer 150% of the value of what I want, which is probably inefficient but less work than getting a conteroffer and having to wade through your offerings to avoid trading the important stuff.

New Romantic
    It bugs me that the impregnability of fortress has yet to be addressed by Toady. With a draw bridge and not much else you can keep all the enemies at bay as long as you wish. You can even bait them into large cisterns where you entrance lies and then fill it with water or lava, making siege clean up a doddle. Any challenge is one you set yourself, essentially.

New Romantic
    I think that's inevitable in a game with as many construction options as Dwarf Fortress. There will always be a way to annihilate most attackers with machinery. Which is pretty Dwarfy, of course. Besides, Toady doesn't seem to care about those sorts of game balance issues.