Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

New Romantic
    At least you can use the blocks to make a road if you're so inclined. I tend to make my roads mostly underground, though.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars View Post
    At least you can use the blocks to make a road if you're so inclined. I tend to make my roads mostly underground, though.
    I like to make giant bridges that stretch from mountain peak to mountain peak. Or a gigantic pyramid, surrounded by a wall with fortifications on top. Or... stuff like that.

New Romantic
    BAD ASS

Social Worker
    As long as I have dwarves doing the jobs I need done, I don't worry too much about the guys that are just standing around. Some of them get recruited and spend most of their time training, while the rest get to slack off and occasionally haul away some rocks when I dig out a new area.

Spinning Toe
    BAD ASS
    I KNOW, RIGHT? DWARVEN PYRAMID

Account closed Spinning Toe
    Now there's a use for your surplus immigrants: a pyramid made of dwarves.
    Last edited by Adam Eayrs; 01-15-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Social Worker
    Okay, and another one: what do you do with goblin filth trapped in a cage? Right now I'm dumping them into magma, but that's just a waste of a good cage if you ask me.

For that matter, how do you get an animal out of a cage? It seems like they just go to an animal stockpile, and if I try to set the cage anywhere it's impossible to separate the cage from the pile of meat and leather inside of the cage. Or rather, I'm sure it's possible, but no end of menu searching has brought me the answer.

Neo Acoustic
    Don't you place the cage, and then open the cage? I'm fairly sure you can wire up levers to placed cages that will open them.

Broad Band
    To get an animal out of the cage, place the cage somewhere. Press 'q' and select the cage. Press 'a' to go to the assign listing. Usually, the animal in the cage is the first on the list. Press Enter, and then Space to cancel. Some dwarf should come along and let the critter out.

As for cleaning the cages, that's a little less intuitive even for DF.
    Find the cage with junk trapped into it. Press K to look at the tile the cage is on (even if it's in an animal stockpile), and examine the cage. You should see a list of what's in the cage (such as catfish bones.) Use + and - to select the item you want to ditch, then press Enter. You're now looking at the item inside the cage. Just press 'd' to set the item to dump, and then it'll get cleaned out to the nearest dump site.

Spinning Toe
    Gaze upon QuantumSawdust's works and despair.

Flarechannel 538

Some really spectacular images in his latest update, but you can also download his save file and see the fort first-hand.

Social Worker
    Roads made of blocks are worth 3 times as much as non-block roads (IIRC). This is a good way to pump up the 'value' of your fortress if, for some mysterious reason, you want to attract the King. Obsidian block roads will get you there in no time.

Social Worker
    Drinking coffee from the Colombian mountanside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Gaze upon QuantumSawdust's works and despair.

Flarechannel 538

Some really spectacular images in his latest update, but you can also download his save file and see the fort first-hand.

Good lord. This undertaking is at the same scale of the game itself! The epic of the construction of just one of those monuments would rival the end of the Illiad.

Social Worker
    Hunger for new release hunger for new release hunger for new release

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolira View Post
    To get an animal out of the cage, place the cage somewhere. Press 'q' and select the cage. Press 'a' to go to the assign listing. Usually, the animal in the cage is the first on the list. Press Enter, and then Space to cancel. Some dwarf should come along and let the critter out.

As for cleaning the cages, that's a little less intuitive even for DF.
    Find the cage with junk trapped into it. Press K to look at the tile the cage is on (even if it's in an animal stockpile), and examine the cage. You should see a list of what's in the cage (such as catfish bones.) Use + and - to select the item you want to ditch, then press Enter. You're now looking at the item inside the cage. Just press 'd' to set the item to dump, and then it'll get cleaned out to the nearest dump site.
    I was able to get the crap out of the cage (read: the thief's clothes), it was just getting the animals out that I was having problems with - I placed the cage, but I couldn't figure out where to go from there. I was even able to get them trained, so I had three trained horses that were happily sitting in their cages. It sounds like you're assigning the animal to the cage, then immediately de-assigning it? A little counter-intuitive, even for DF...

Broad Band
    Well, it's already assigned to the cage if it's in it, so you're pretty much just unassigning it from the cage.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    Hunger for new release hunger for new release hunger for new release
    Saw this today in his dev log -
    I've organized all of the remaining notes... massive but contained. I should have everything I need to get 40d17 up, so I'll be doing that tomorrow hopefully, then I can move on to the hydra testing. I'd also like to get the list thread questions up tomorrow or the next day. I'll post a link here when it is done.
    Since I forget how he numbers his releases, I'm not sure what this means exactly.

Edit:

Oh nevermind - looks like these 40dxx releases are just hardware accelerated releases. Nothing much.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

Social Worker
    Ooooh release date is approaching, I must place the order for the new parts for my computer (constructed for the sole reason of DF...)!

Social Worker
    Man, I have just been completely sucked back into DF again lately. So much so that I've been neglecting games that I need to be playing through for review assignments :(

Have a fort with about 80 or so dwarves and just can't stop playing it. I constantly think of some new project for them to work on, or some interesting event happens.

New Romantic
    By which you mean some variety of cascading insanity disaster, I assume.

'Interesting' things seem to happen exclusively when I think up a new project.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorialzors
    As a further consideration, some don’t like to recruit women as soldiers. When they give birth it’s not uncommon to see them running into battle carrying a baby. This is both somewhat alarming and somewhat risky as you’re going to have potentially dead babies on your hands due to combat, something that might cause a lot of emo among your dwarfs.
    This is good advice that I wish I had followed. But seriously, how hard is it to put down your baby for five seconds when there are goblins about?

Social Worker
    I've started playing this again too. Anyone else interested in a succession game?

New Romantic
    A succession game sounds interesting, but right now my playtime is too irregular for me to commit to a proper succession game.

Oh, and I did figure out a reliable way to get rid of unwanted dwarves: carp.

- Alan

Broad Band
    Also, it's a fairly reliable way to get rid of wanted dwarfs, if you aren't paying attention!

Social Worker
    I seem to be losing an inordinately large number of dwarves to training accidents lately. They're wearing mostly iron plate with gauntlets/boots/helms/etc to match, and I've let them build up a bit of a wrestling skill before arming them, yet they're still impaling each other left and right in the barracks :/

I also have a handful of dwarves that don't seem to train no matter what I do. They've been "Recruits" for years now. They've got spears, other members of the same squad train, yet these dolts just stand around grooming their beards or something. I've tried rearranging their squads, putting them in their own squad, changing out their weapons, etc, but these assholes just will NOT train. Argh!

New Romantic
    Succession game in new build!

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Majkut View Post
    I also have a handful of dwarves that don't seem to train no matter what I do. They've been "Recruits" for years now. They've got spears, other members of the same squad train, yet these dolts just stand around grooming their beards or something. I've tried rearranging their squads, putting them in their own squad, changing out their weapons, etc, but these assholes just will NOT train. Argh!
    Injuries to the neck, brain or spine will never heal and prevent further sparring. Sometimes those wounds are in very light gray and hard to make out.

Also, if dwarves pick up stuff while wrestling (like a second glove or other pieces of armour) they won't drop that and will not gain skills in weapon training until you you empty them out (no weapons, no armour) and reassign everything after they dropped their stuff.
    Last edited by Therlun; 01-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Social Worker
    In the next release they should drop that stuff though!

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    In the next release they should drop that stuff though!
    Heh, yeah, the one he supposedly said was going to be released around christmas. And (by now) obviously it was not christmas 2009.
    I dunno, what I always loved about Tarn's approach to developing the game was that he was more or less constantly putting out his alpha versions.
    Now there hasn't been anything in almost one and a half years, which I find a bit disheartening.
    _____
    rezaf

Account closed New Romantic
    You should email him and tell him how he owes you a new version.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJustBob View Post
    You should email him and tell him how he owes you a new version.
    I already did, and he gave me a full refund.
    _____
    rezaf