Thread: Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubit View Post
    Since the website is getting hammered, does anyone care to list the major additions included in this update?
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT...zZHFtanA&hl=en

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->
    Thanks!

Social Worker
    I see on that list, there are no salmon runs. We have fish runs now! Twice yearly I recommend locking your doors as these WMD's swim upstream.

Edit: Also the site seems to be rock solid again
    Last edited by Morberis; 04-01-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Spinning Toe
    Apparently you can apply old graphics sets to the new game, anyone know how I might be able to take the old normal MayGreen (as opposed to the fancy png 40dx MayGreen) to the new DF?
    Grab an old release that still includes bmps off his site (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php d16 is working for me). Open up the zip file, copy everything in raw/graphics and the file data/art/mayday.bmp to the same locations in the new DF folder. Edit init.txt and change the graphics font to mayday.bmp, enable graphics mode, and set resolution and grid size. I use 1280x800 80x50 windowed.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Grab an old release that still includes bmps off his site (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php d16 is working for me). Open up the zip file, copy everything in raw/graphics and the file data/art/mayday.bmp to the same locations in the new DF folder. Edit init.txt and change the graphics font to mayday.bmp, enable graphics mode, and set resolution and grid size. I use 1280x800 80x50 windowed.

I tried that, all I get is a black screen when I load it up (d16 is also what I used, being the only pre-png set he has posted). I'll try again.

Edit: More precisely I can change every other setting but when I change the graphics font to be mayday.bmp (well maydayMIX.bmp) I get the black screen, but lets see if that holds true again.

Edit 2: Yeah it does, I can change it to mayday.bmp, maydayMIN.bmp etc and I still get black screened.

Would you mind uploading your copy of the init and graphics folders? Though I can't imagine how the graphics folder would be any different seeing as its just a straight copy from the old DF
    to the new DF

Could it be that I haven't moved over the mayday font somehow?
    Last edited by Morberis; 04-01-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Mad Chester
    Grab an old release that still includes bmps off his
    site d16 is working for me). Open up the zip file, copy everything in raw/graphics and the file data/art/mayday.bmp to the same locations in the new DF folder. Edit init.txt and change the graphics font to mayday.bmp, enable graphics mode, and set resolution and grid size. I use 1280x800 80x50 windowed.
    What about the 40d18, would I have to set it like you described too? I assume this is the .png version Morberis is talking about.
    Also, @Morberis, what is the big difference between the d16 tileset and d18 tileset, in practical terms?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Digby View Post
    What about the 40d18, would I have to set it like you described too? I assume this is the .png version Morberis is talking about.
    Also, @Morberis, what is the big difference between the d16 tileset and d18 tileset, in practical terms?
    I think d18 uses png's, which the old normal DF does not support and since he hasn't published the new version merged with dX the new version does not either.

Yeah ok you also need to take everything from the data/art folder otherwise you don't have the MikeMayday fonts either, so it displays nothing. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Morberis; 04-01-2010 at 08:14 AM.

Mad Chester
    Yeah but it should work with the new DF version (31.01) released today, right?
    I guess i'll try to set it up as Mayday has on the DIY section.

Spinning Toe
    It's semi-working here, the dwarfs are a bit off and other little niggles, but no black screen. Maybe try maydayMAX?

Social Worker

No, because the new version hasn't been merged with the dX releases yet but its a high priority

Spinning Toe
    I would suggest skipping all the steps other than the graphics... Quite a bit has changed in the internals, I assume, so econ stone and the rest of his changes to the raws aren't likely to work AT ALL until they're tweaked.

Mad Chester
    It's funny but i've grown so used to it (the mayday tileset) that seeing the original DF feels strange... and much uglier. :D

New Romantic
    Can't believe I'm about to go to work on DF-Day. What has become of me?

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by John Many Jars View Post
    Can't believe I'm about to go to work on DF-Day. What has become of me?
    Call your boss, tell him you're locked inside a cabinet with ravenous carps outside...

Spinning Toe

World's End Supernova
    Call your boss, tell him you're locked inside a cabinet with ravenous carps outside...
    This is JMJ.

Work is gay. DWARF FORTRESS. (hang up the phone)

Social Worker
    First day back to work after 1.5 weeks of vacation, and this is what happens?! Argh!

Social Worker
    Hey hey does anyone know if dwarf therapist or any dwarf manager works with this one.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPYYYYYY DAAAAAAYYYYY

Mad Chester
    @Spam:

Seems to work (that link) fine but it's windowed, the usual intro pop-up for fullscreen/windowed doesn't even show up.
    I reckon you changed the init file, should be just a matter of editing, right?

Edit: I tried changing the init file to prompt but it crashes and runs in windowed... hmm...

Social Worker
    @Spam:

Seems to work (that link) fine but it's windowed, the usual intro pop-up for fullscreen/windowed doesn't even show up.
    I reckon you changed the init file, should be just a matter of editing, right?

Edit: I tried changing the init file to prompt but it crashes and runs in windowed... hmm...
    Change [WINDOWED:YES] to [WINDOWED:PROMPT]

Thanks Spam but I got my copy to work as soon as I hit on the fact that I needed to also copy over the fonts to the data/art folder. Thanks though!

And dangit it keeps crashing on worldgen... lol

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    Change [WINDOWED:YES] to [WINDOWED:PROMPT]

Thanks Spam but I got my copy to work as soon as I hit on the fact that I needed to also copy over the fonts to the data/art folder. Thanks though!

And dangit it keeps crashing on worldgen... lol
    That's what I said, when I change it to PROMPT it crashes and runs as windowed...
    And yeah, still crashing on world gen for me too. *sad face*

Social Worker
    That's what I said, when I change it to PROMPT it crashes and runs as windowed...
    And yeah, still crashing on world gen for me too. *sad face*
    Really? Thats odd

I can't seem to gen past the year 200, but I can stop it before that. As the years go by it starts hanging more frequently, maybe those hangs are whats causing it *shrug*

But time to play!

Edit: Yeah the graphics set doesn't work completely correctly, river bends show up as blanks as does the H in hot for temperature, but mehhh

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Morberis View Post
    Really? Thats odd

I can't seem to gen past the year 200, but I can stop it before that. As the years go by it starts hanging more frequently, maybe those hangs are whats causing it *shrug*

But time to play!
    (In vanilla) I can gen and play fine, it's when I use any tileset or other modification that it crashes.

Spinning Toe
    Did you guys replace your raws with dfg16? Definitely make sure you're using the raws from df_31_01 for now. Also, I actually did do worldgen before I changed the graphics, so might need to do worldgen in text mode, then switch to graphics for gameplay. In any case it's working fine for normal gameplay here..

Mad Chester
    Did you guys replace your raws with dfg16? Definitely make sure you're using the raws from df_31_01 for now. Also, I actually did do worldgen before I changed the graphics, so might need to do worldgen in text mode, then switch to graphics for gameplay. In any case it's working fine for normal gameplay here..
    I think I did...

Also, is the random world gen now much MUCH longer? I'm genning a new world and it's been 1050 years before it stopped!?

Social Worker
    You mean the objects? No I didn't.

Are you using the default font or the mayday font?

Mad Chester
    Oooh, oozes on the embark screen!

Spinning Toe
    I'm using maydayMAX (you can look at the init.txt in that zip I posted). As I said my dwarfs and other mobiles are not right. It's probably just a matter of editing mayday_graphics.txt to correspond to the new creature IDs, but I haven't bothered.. items/walls/furniture are enough graphics for me.

Social Worker
    Hmm, just changed it to maydayMAX as opposed to maydayMIX and you're right that one does work perfectly, well aside from worldgen crashes. Last one was a runtime error apparently.

Account closed New Romantic
    Aspad was a forgotten beast. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic noseless pig. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it appears to be emaciated. Its black hair is long and wavy. Beware its deadly blood! Aspad was associated with water, chaos and caverns.

In a time before time, Aspad began wandering the depths of the world.