Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oblivion lockpicking made easy! Video inside. :)

How To Go

Oblivion lockpicking made easy! Video inside. :)

http://files.filefront.com/Oblivion_.../fileinfo.html
    528kb Windows Media 9 .wmv file.

If your high frequency hearing hasn't been destroyed by your stint as a 1970's rock band groupie, there is an easy way to pick any lock in the Bethesda game Oblivion

There are three tumbler speeds. As you can see in the video, the slow tumbler produces a distinct one-two pinging sound, whereas the fast tumblers squish the sounds together close enough for them to sound like a single sound.

The trick is to look away from the screen and click the mouse based solely on what you hear as you jiggle the lockpick. Click the mouse within 250ms of hearing that second ping to lock the tumbler in place every time.

Using this method, you can pick even the hardest locks without breaking any lockpicks.

Enjoy.

p.s.- if anyone wants to host this file elsewhere, go right ahead.
    Last edited by Lunch of Kong; 04-03-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Social Worker
    Here's what I love about the lockpick minigame - there's apparently several methods that appeal to separate skillsets. My method involves tapping the tumblers until they fall at the fastest speed then tap once more. then just time the click when the tumbler is at the top. It's like there's a certain rhythm to it, but I lose very few lockpicks this way.

Account closed Hustle
    Yea, I have extracted the sounds from the bsa file. There are 6 different "attempt" .wav files, and another one called "ui_lock_clicknow.wav". I'm not sure if the "clicknow" wav plays after only one of the attempt sounds, or if it randomly plays after any of them.

One of the first mods I'm gonna try my hand at is a new lockpicking interface. I'm thinking something like removing the "pause game" part of lockpicking, making it so guards may catch you while you are picking. Probably some kinda "autoattempt" which lets you just start the process and wait for your character to pick the lock...something like a played out auto-attempt in realtime. Not sure of the specifics, but obviously I'm going for something a little more Thiefish...

Account closed Social Worker
    Guys, you just watch them. When the rise up slowly is when you want to click. That's how I do it at least, I don't even pay attention to the sounds.

Account closed Hustle
    Well I think that if you have good ears, listening for one specific sound is easier than trying to gauge the relative speed of the tumbler.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Man, you guys are sweet. Like ninjas.

Thanks. I was kind of homing in on that sound pattern, but this certainly makes it more straightforward. I'll try both this and the "click at tumbler top" method and see which works better. Problem is, as I said in the other thread, my bad hearing makes the plink-plink really hard if there are any background effects (which there always are -- I already turned the music way down...).

You mod people, can you look into the mod and see what the actual rules of the minigame are? In other words, do the tumbler-top method AND the double-plink method both work? Or is the tumbler-top method really a red herring, and does the minigame really only play the double-click sound when it's possible to settle the tumbler?

I don't WANT an unpaused lockpicking mod, I just want to know how the current minigame works :-) I have too much fun nipping upstairs to beat the shopkeeper, then picking the lock using my Lockpick Bullet Time to zip through the door before the bugger sees me :-D

Edit: OK, so it looks like the other thread hashed this out already. The rules are (apparently):

- Each tumbler (or maybe each lock) has a cycle of speeds at which the tumbler drops.
    - For example: jiggle, tumbler drops fast; jiggle, tumbler drops super fast; jiggle, tumbler drops slowly.
    - When the tumbler drops slowly, it plays the Plink Plink!(tm 2006 Roger Wong).
    - You must click the tumbler when it is at its slow-drop point in its cycle. You can detect this either visually, or by timing the cycle, or by listening for the Plink Plink!(tm).

Incidentally, this is now a Qt3 keeper image:

Last edited by RepoMan; 04-03-2006 at 09:02 PM.

How To Go
    I was good at lockpicking, but this is above and beyond the call of duty, Mr. Wong. Awesome bit of helpful game stuff.

Scenic Northern NJ Gamertag: JoshuaMarshall
    Nice, but nothing beats the unbreakable lockpick (Skeleton Key) that you get from a quest via the Nocturne Shrine.[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

How To Go
    Sigh. Well, even with Mr. Wong's tip, even with watching the timing, even with all the help Qt3 has to offer, the truth is clear: I fucking suck at the lockpicking minigame. Time to kick back and just use plain ol' auto-pick, and heavily abuse the Lockpick Mold.

I'll have to dig up that quest for the unbreakable pick, too, 'cuz when you suck like I do, even the Lockpick Mold gets expensive....

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Thanks for the amazingly awesome video, Roger! Unfortunately it confirmed my worst fear: the second click in the first sequence is completely inaudible for me.

I was under the impression that my hearing is pretty good, and I hear all the initial clicks and the metallic background clatter just fine. But when the line sweeps over the second spike in the first sequence, I hear nothing but the background clatter. Weird... the X-Fi with a Sennheiser HD-590 certainly shouldn't suppress that sound.

Anyway, it's picking by sight for me.

Social Worker
    Thanks so much for this, I'm picking hard locks by sound with a 9 lockpicking skill. I vote this most usefull Q23 post ever.

You can also drop the console, type "unlock", and be done with it! :)

Social Worker
    Awesome.

Plink! Plink! (tm)

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by tmastern
    You can also drop the console, type "unlock", and be done with it! :)
    Console, Mouse-click Door, Type Unlock, Return, Unconsole.

Or does it work just by typing "unlock" with no target picked?

Account closed World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph Nahr
    Thanks for the amazingly awesome video, Roger! Unfortunately it confirmed my worst fear: the second click in the first sequence is completely inaudible for me.

I was under the impression that my hearing is pretty good, and I hear all the initial clicks and the metallic background clatter just fine. But when the line sweeps over the second spike in the first sequence, I hear nothing but the background clatter. Weird... the X-Fi with a Sennheiser HD-590 certainly shouldn't suppress that sound.

Anyway, it's picking by sight for me.

Honestly, I do it by sight in any case. I find it easier. As soon as you notice that the lock has risen slowly, just click. My reaction timing is relatively in sync with the speed of the slow lock, so I have about an 80% success rate on visual alone. If I really take my time I can push that up to 90 or 95% or so.

Quote Originally Posted by instant0
    Console, Mouse-click Door, Type Unlock, Return, Unconsole.

You are correct, sir!

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    Honestly, I do it by sight in any case. I find it easier. As soon as you notice that the lock has risen slowly, just click. My reaction timing is relatively in sync with the speed of the slow lock, so I have about an 80% success rate on visual alone. If I really take my time I can push that up to 90 or 95% or so.
    Yeah, I am starting to get a LITTLE bit better at this. Just enough that I can nail Average locks. Hard locks are still a b*tch for me though.

If you land all but one tumbler, does Auto-Picking have better odds?

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Man, after watching that video and trying umpteen times, this simply doesn't work for me. Must have been all the Pink Floyd blasting through headphones in the 80s. My ears just aren't catching it.

I do, however, rock hard when it comes to the persuasion minigame. Maybe I should make a video of it: "You don't say?" "No, enough, I can't take anymore!" "Ha ha, tell me that one again? How does it go?" DISPOSITION MAXED!!1!

-Tom

Account closed New Romantic
    Tom, try turning the sound off and just watching the tumblers...I can't do it with sound either. I can however pick all locks I've come across.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by TomChick
    I do, however, rock hard when it comes to the persuasion minigame. Maybe I should make a video of it: "You don't say?" "No, enough, I can't take anymore!" "Ha ha, tell me that one again? How does it go?" DISPOSITION MAXED!!1!

-Tom
    I do too it is called a three second 100% charm spell.

-- Xaroc

I have that one, but mine is 2 seconds. I think that should fall under game mechanic abuse.

World's End Supernova
    I'm with Tom - I'm just too lazy to care. I buy lockpicks in batches of 300. :)

Account closed World's End Supernova
    Man, after watching that video and trying umpteen times, this simply doesn't work for me. Must have been all the Pink Floyd blasting through headphones in the 80s. My ears just aren't catching it.

-Tom
    You know, as much as I like that minigame, the one thing that really irks me is after you are done and the NPC says "Wow, you are good" or whatever. Completely breaks the immersion. Like maybe we were just playing rock-paper-scissors, and he knows it.

I also get tired of the same canned responses, though I do realize that there's a hard content limit on how many of those you can have. It would however have given it a double helping of interesting if there were random statements you could hear from the NPCs that were character specific, or maybe even led to quests like the random town gossip can.

Level 4 character, jokes told: 263.

New Romantic
    If you're hearing the npc's entire pie-slice response, you by definition do not rock hard. You should be hearing "You don Get a That's h I wish Okay then!" And even that's probably too many phonemes getting out! There should be an animation at the end of your character giving their head a good solid whomp to get their brain needle firmly in place again.

How To Go
    I could use that video, because every damn time I wind up with a slightly lower disposition than I started with. That combined with my abysmal lack of personality (there's a reason ninjas don't get invited to many tea parties) means that I have a hell of a hard time getting anyone to talk to me at all.

Hell, Jensine won't fess up about the freakin' corrupt guard no matter how much money I dump on her ungrateful head. Can't get her approval over 70 no matter what. Looks like I need to get training in ol' Illusionville....

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    I definitely helps to have the Speechcraft pie rotation skill. Without it, I'd probably be as retarded at Persuasion as I am at Lockpicking.

-Tom

New Romantic
    I can do it via sound or watching the speed with which it flies up, but the problem with sound is if you start doing it to fast it's easy to get confused by the ratcheting sound it makes. Not impossibly so, but it's just easier to do it visually I thought. I restarted as a battlemage style character with low security, but all the time spent as a thief ment I could do the very hard locks with an abysmal security score and just one lockpick. Sorta disappointing that stats are taking out of the equation so much, though I guess pickpocketing makes the skill still useful.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan
    Sigh. Well, even with Mr. Wong's tip, even with watching the timing, even with all the help Qt3 has to offer, the truth is clear: I fucking suck at the lockpicking minigame. Time to kick back and just use plain ol' auto-pick, and heavily abuse the Lockpick Mold.

I'll have to dig up that quest for the unbreakable pick, too, 'cuz when you suck like I do, even the Lockpick Mold gets expensive....
    Yeah, you have to be level 10 to do the quest, but the quest itself isn't that tough. The skeleton key gives you +50 to security as long as you hold onto it, and is unbreakable.

Account closed Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Perkins
    Tom, try turning the sound off and just watching the tumblers...I can't do it with sound either. I can however pick all locks I've come across.
    No, really...try closing your eyes and use your ears only and listen for the ding.

Here's how it works: When you first "nudge" the tumbler, it plays this click. When the tumbler hits the top, it plays the "ding". Usually these two things happen so close together that the sounds overlap. Do not click then. Wait until you can hear the two sounds distinctly one after the other. "Cliing" = Don't Click, "Click Ding" = Click.

motmot intention How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepT
    I have that one, but mine is 2 seconds. I think that should fall under game mechanic abuse.
    I had a ring in Morrowind called "Spanish Fly". Same thing. Made disposition way too easy though.

I enjoy the disposition game in Ob, so I'm not going to make any spell based tricks this time.